X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanford, band to discuss possible sanctions

Sept. 13, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

STANFORD, Calif. -- Stanford athletic director Ted Leland apologized Monday to Brigham Young and the university's fans for a halftime show by the Cardinal band that poked fun at polygamy with five dancers wearing wedding veils.

Stanford beat BYU 37-10 Saturday at Stanford Stadium.

Leland said he would meet with the band to discuss possible sanctions.

"The actions of the Stanford band in Saturday's game were inappropriate, and I wish to apologize to BYU, their team, fans and alumni," Leland said. "We are committed to being good hosts to our opponents who visit Stanford and anything that doesn't reflect this is regrettable."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
    UNLV's Dodd-Masters suspended for punching Wyoming player
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 11, 2004

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- UNLV cornerback Ruschard Dodd-Masters was suspended for one game by the Mountain West Conference for throwing a punch at a Wyoming player.

MWC commissioner Craig Thompson called the hit a "potentially dangerous nonfootball act that clearly fell under the definition of 'physical abuse.'"

Wyoming wide receiver Josh Barge was hit in the throat. He missed several plays but returned to the game.

Dodd-Masters will miss Saturday's game when UNLV (2-7, 1-4) plays at Colorado State (3-6, 2-3).

The hit came near the end of a play in the third quarter of Wyoming's 53-45 triple-overtime road victory last Saturday. UNLV was assessed a 15-yard penalty.

AP NEWS

-11-11-2004, 10:09 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Three Longhorns have academic issues
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 8, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas defensive end Mike Williams will miss his second straight season with the Longhorns because of academic ineligibility.

Running back Henry Melton and offensive lineman Kyle Thornton are also ineligible to participate in the team's first practice Monday, but both said they plan on reporting once their academic issues are resolved.

Williams, a junior, had six sacks in 2003. He said he will still attend classes at Texas this fall.

Melton is a freshman from Grapevine. Thorton is a redshirt sophomore who was expected to backup Will Allen at right guard.

AP NEWS

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-09-2005, 12:13 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Callahan says shoddy treatment by OU fans sparked outburst
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 15, 2004

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said his profane outburst directed at Oklahoma fans was prompted by a group of student hecklers who were allowed to get close to his players during warmups and fans throwing oranges on the field.

Advertisement

As he walked toward the Nebraska locker room after a 30-3 loss Saturday night, Callahan looked into the stands and called Sooners fans "hillbillies," while using an expletive.

"I'm an emotional guy, and I'm a competitive coach, and on the field I stick up for my players," Callahan said Monday on the Big 12 coaches teleconference. "I don't think any team should be subjected to the type of treatment we were subjected to in that particular contest."

Some of Callahan's complaints were directed at The Ruf/Neks, an Oklahoma student spirit group that positions itself near one of the end zones. The students shoot pop guns and heckle opposing teams. Callahan said it's a dangerous environment because of the proximity of the students to the opposing players.

University of Oklahoma police were investigating an incident involving a member of The Ruf/Neks and a Nebraska player. The Oklahoma student was sent to the hospital with injuries to his face after what Nebraska officials called a collision with a player.

The oranges were tossed because Oklahoma has hopes of playing for the national championship in the Orange Bowl.

Callahan said he snapped as he walked off the field.

"I probably could have used a better choice of words, but I am distressed when people are shooting off guns and throwing fruit at our players," Callahan said. "I just have a hard time with that. It's a part of the game, I guess. I'm trying to learn this the best I can. But I think it's out of control."

AP NEWS

-11-16-2004, 07:45 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Auburn's Tuberville honored with Bear Bryant Award
    by DJRamFan
    Jan. 14, 2005

HOUSTON -- Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville won the Paul "Bear" Bryant coach of the year award Thursday for guiding the Tigers to their first 13-0 season.

Advertisement

The Bryant award is given by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association.

The other finalists were Southern California's Pete Carroll, Boise State's Dan Hawkins, Utah's Urban Meyer, Louisville's Bobby Petrino and UTEP's Mike Price.

"The selection is based on all of the hard work the Auburn staff and players put in this season. This is a team award, not an individual award," Tuberville said Thursday night.

Last month, Tuberville was voted the Associated Press coach of the year.

Auburn finished the season ranked No. 2 in the nation after beating Virginia Tech 16-13 in the Sugar Bowl.

Tuberville has a 51-24 overall record in his six seasons with Auburn and is 31-17 in Southeastern Conference play.

AP NEWS

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -01-14-2005, 10:38 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Big 12 denies ex-Sooners DT Dvoracek's bid for reinstatement
    by DJRamFan
    Dec 9, 2004

NORMAN, Okla. -- Former Oklahoma lineman Dusty Dvoracek's bid for a medical hardship was denied by the Big 12. He can now appeal to the NCAA, which could grant a waiver allowing him to play next season.

Advertisement

Dvoracek was kicked off the team by coach Bob Stoops in September. After completing an anger-management and alcohol-related program, the defensive tackle appealed to a Big 12 review committee.

The committee, made up of representatives from league schools, met last weekend and the vote was 6-6. Dvoracek can now turn to the NCAA for possible reinstatement, Big 12 spokesman Bob Burda said. It's unclear how the conference's decision might affect the NCAA.

Stoops, coach of the Orange Bowl-bound No. 2 Sooners, has said he favored Dvoracek's return to the team.

A call to Dvoracek was not immediately returned.

Dvoracek, a captain in his senior season, was thrown off the team Sept. 17 after a scuffle left his friend with a head injury. Dvoracek and Matt Wilde had been drinking, then argued. Wilde spent several days in the hospital, the first few in intensive care.

AP NEWS

-12-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Working...
X