Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis has motivational tool

From The Commercial Appeal in Memphis

The cameras zoomed in and the players tried to look excited and some things you just can't fake.

"They seem a little subdued," said Greg Anthony, the CBS analyst, back in the studio in New York.

The party atmosphere was dampened Sunday when John Calipari's Tigers were seeded second in the West Region. The U of M opens against Cal State Northridge.

Despite their obvious disappointment, the tournament draw broke encouragingly for Calipari's squad.

The NCAA Tournament Selection Committee made the Memphis Tigers the No. 2 seed in the West Region Sunday.

The Tigers reacted as if the committee had made them clean up its trash.

"Act excited, everybody go, 'Yea!'" said Memphis coach John Calipari, during the commercial break, after the four No. 1 seeds had been handed out to teams other than his own.

Let the record show: Everybody did not go "Yea!"

They slouched lower in their chairs and their couches. They soaked in the unmistakable insult.

CBS showed the Cal State Northridge team, which Memphis will play Thursday in Kansas City, celebrating its invitation to the big tournament.

"I wouldn't even clap if I were them," said Memphis freshman Wesley Witherspoon.

Because the Tigers are ticked off now. Pay no mind to the we-respect-the-committee's-decision talk that you may hear.

Note the silence, instead. The silence in Calipari's living room when the four No. 1 seeds were unveiled.

"We're not so excited," said Calipari, looking around the room.

Not so excited.

Also, ticked off.

Never mind that UConn -- the Big East team that beat out Memphis for the fourth No. 1 seed -- actually does have a better resume than the Tigers. Never mind that UConn has four more top 50 wins.

The Tigers are No. 2 in the ESPN Coaches poll that was released Sunday and they're a No. 2 seed in the tournament. It's clear evidence of a conspiracy, darn it.

Or at least it will be in the masterful hands of Calipari, who has to be giddy over Sunday's developments.

The man figured out a way to cast Memphis as an underdog in the tournament last year, when the Tigers had three pros and a No. 1 seed.

Imagine what he'll be able to accomplish now that he has material.

And he does have material. He gets more of it every time CBS's Seth Davis or ESPN's Doug Gottleib open their mouths.

"Memphis simply did not have the profile of a No. 1 seed," said Davis.

Them's fighting words!

As for Gottleib, he picked Memphis to lose to Missouri in the Sweet 16. Of course, Gottleib also picked Memphis to lose to UAB the last time they played.

The fact is, underneath the injured feelings, Memphis had another good day Sunday.

The Tigers open with Cal State Northridge, which is just happy to be there.

Then they get the winner of California and Maryland. Neither team has an inside game.

Then they'll likely get Missouri and old friend Mike Anderson, who has experience losing to Memphis from his years at UAB.

Then comes UConn. UConn's a really good team. But imagine the fun that Calipari could have before that particular matchup.

"This is the team the committee thought was better than you. Nobody thinks you can beat this team. I don't know. Maybe they're right. But if you think you should have been a No. 1 seed, you can prove it tonight."

It's delicious just to think about, isn't it? And, yes, it's wildly premature.

When Davis -- of all people -- said Memphis had a clear path to the Elite Eight, Calipari shook his head.

"Yeah, it should be easy," he said.

By which he meant: Not.

But don't fret for your Tigers. They're exactly where you'd want them to be.

They're back in the tournament as a No. 2 seed. They can still find reason to be -- what was Anthony's word for it? -- subdued.

"We respect the decision of the committee," said Calipari.

Now, get out of the way.

Re: Memphis has motivational tool

This year I'm in 2 brackets. Last year I had about a dozen of them going.

1 of the 2 brackets is for money. I have Memphis winning it all in that bracket.
    There are a handful of teams that are going to be tough but I do like Memphis to pull it off.

Teams that scare me:
    Duke
    UNC
    Louisville
    Gonzaga
    Pittsburgh
    UConn
    Oklahoma

C'mon Memphis.....
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Hmm. After getting all they could handle from Bobby Braswell and his CSUN Matadors, it looks like the selection commitee put Memphis right where they belonged.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
        Hmm. After getting all they could handle from Bobby Braswell and his CSUN Matadors, it looks like the selection commitee put Memphis right where they belonged.
        The first bullett has been fired!!!!

Seems like a direct hit too.

Comment

Oh please.....first round is survive after that you conquer. Yesterday had no bearing whatsoever on the talent of Memphis.

Quit watching SportsCenter, especially Mike and Mike. That Mike and Mike show will rot your brain and cause severe losses of IQ points. Jerry Springer is more relevant than Mike and Mike.

You watch. Memphis will beat Maryland from the all mighty ACC and proceed to their next victim.

Comment

Calipari was just on the Jim Rome show. Here comes some jungle karma baby. Look out Maryland.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
              Oh please.....first round is survive after that you conquer. Yesterday had no bearing whatsoever on the talent of Memphis.

Quit watching SportsCenter, especially Mike and Mike. That Mike and Mike show will rot your brain and cause severe losses of IQ points. Jerry Springer is more relevant than Mike and Mike.

You watch. Memphis will beat Maryland from the all mighty ACC and proceed to their next victim.
              I don't watch Mike and Mike. All I know is that Memphis, a 2 seed, struggled to beat CSUN, a 15 seed. Sorry Tx, IMO Memphis got a reality check, especially for a team that was "ticked off" and motivated. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

Comment

Almost every year there's always a team that struggles in the first round, wins, and then advances to the Final Four. Memphis will be that team.

Comment

Oh my....Pitt struggled against East Tennessee State. They only took the lead with 4 minutes left to win by 10. Did we overestimate how good they are? They should really be scared the next time they play. They need a reality check huh?

Comment

Oh my....Pitt struggled against East Tennessee State. They only took the lead with 4 minutes left to win by 10. Did we overestimate how good they are? They should really be scared the next time they play. They need a reality check huh?
                    I think they just got a reality check.

Comment

tx shoots back and it's a direct hit!

Comment

Almost every year there's always a team that struggles in the first round, wins, and then advances to the Final Four. Memphis will be that team.
                        Then again, maybe Pitt is that one team.

Comment

72-50 Memphis at the 12 minute mark of the second half over a Maryland team that beat UNC.

I think they responded just fine. Memphis has tendency to play up to the name on the other teams jersey. From now on, that name iwll mean something. WAtch out, here come the MEMPHIS TIGERS.

Comment

Anybody. We'll play anybody, anytime, anywhere. This team is special. Way to go Tigers.

Comment

You couldn't even wait untill the game was over to pound your chest could you?

Well, at least you didn't give me a hard time about my Bruins and how bad they looked today.

Last year Tx, if you remember, I was behind Memphis all the way AFTER they took apart UCLA. I've always been a big Calipari fan going back to his days at UMass, but this year it's a different story for me. I think their whining and crying about the number 2 seed was beneath them and the belittling of a jubilant CSUN team celebrating their tournament bid by Wesley Witherspoon was classless. I'll be rooting against them this year, unless of course they meet USC in the final four.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
                                Spurrier excited about SEC revival with Gamecocks
                                by DJRamFan
                                Aug. 28, 2005
                                By Dennis Dodd
                                CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
                                Tell Dennis your opinion!

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- You really can't believe he's 60. On a random offseason weekday, Steve Spurrier is bounding around his office like a kid in Toys R Us.

South Carolina fans hope Steve Spurrier can do for them what he did for Florida. (Getty Images)
                                "Have you seen Cocky?" Spurrier says, flipping on the switch of a two-foot replica of the South Carolina mascot that begins dancing across a ledge.

"I was lucky on the hair genes," he remarks after a reference to his perfectly coifed hair helmet that looks like it has been preserved since he won the Heisman in 1966 -- as a dashing senior.

You simply can't believe he's 60. A doctor checked Spurrier's heart last year during his year off from football. It looked better than in 2003, his last year with the Washington Redskins. What was he doing different? Relaxing. Well, that and a new interest in the StairMaster.

"It gets you huffin' and puffin'," says the smiling man who used to eat quarterbacks for lunch, even when they followed instructions.

Lunch was served again in the spring. Spurrier, you see, reads everything. Not many people know that about him. Newspapers, TV, Internet. He likes to keep track of the condition of the program.

After a scrimmage, quarterbacks Blake Mitchell and Antonio Heffner were asked how they thought they did. "Pretty good," they were basically quoted as saying.

"You call that, 'pretty good?'" he shot back next time the three came together.

Spurrier sat down his quarterbacks and showed them a film of Florida's 54-17 victory at South Carolina in 2001. Rex Grossman threw for 302 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. The Gators scored the last 44 points of the game.

"It was a game we never punted," Spurrier said. "Now that's pretty good, not hitting one out of three. You guys have to understand what playing well means."

This is the Spur Dog in full. At an age when a lot of men are counting the days to retirement, Spurrier is counting the days toward the opener in his new job.

"Sometimes as a young coach in your 30s, you're trying to act like you're 45," Spurrier said. "When you get to be above 60 or so, you want to act like you're 45. Health-wise I feel like I can do more than I did at 45. Hopefully my mind is still as good as it was then.

"I think it is."

Consider that a warning shot. The college football world is on the edge of its cleats, waiting for The Tao of Steve to return to the game. That opener against Central Florida is now three days away. National television is moving...
                                -08-29-2005, 05:07 PM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Rose's dream is Big Ten vs. Pac-10 AND title game
                                by DJRamFan
                                Aug. 5, 2005
                                By Dennis Dodd

CHICAGO -- There's a unique opportunity for the Pac-10 and Big Ten in 2005. For the second time in BCS history, the Rose Bowl is the site of the national championship game after this season. Assuming that USC is the prohibitive No. 1 favorite going in, that puts the pressure on the Big Ten to make it a 1-2 natural matchup for the national championship.

Heisman winner Matt Leinart is expected to lead USC to a Rose Bowl berth. (Getty Images)
                                That's something that hasn't happened in 37 years.

It seems amazing the last time the Rose Bowl's anchor teams met while ranked 1-2 in the Associated Poll was Jan. 1, 1969. Ohio State beat USC 27-16. A "rematch" of sorts could be looming, although considering the strength of the Big Ten, Ohio State is in for a battle to win the league. Michigan was named the favorite this week at the Big Ten preseason media days.

"Anyone going in against USC would be the underdog," Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk said. "That would be a little bit of motivation, I think."

Only twice in history have the 1-2 teams in the AP poll from those conferences met in Pasadena (the other year was 1963). That shows how much fans of both leagues care about such an occurrence. Michigan coach Lloyd Carr has said in the past he valued a Rose Bowl berth over a national championship shot.

But this year, the stars are aligning for a Big Ten vs. Pac-10 championship game in the shadow of the San Gabriels on Jan. 4. No. 4 Michigan, No. 9 Ohio State and No. 10 Iowa all start the season ranked in the top 10 in the coaches poll. USC, which brings a 22-game winning streak into the season, is led by Heisman winner Matt Leinart.

"We definitely want to get there no matter who we're playing, but we'd definitely like to get a shot at USC," Michigan running back Michael Hart said. "Whoever wins the Big Ten this year and goes undefeated, they have no choice but to put you in the national championship game because the Big Ten is so strong this year."

There is some recent history. Michigan was the victim 20 months ago when the USC started its championship run with a 28-14 victory over the Wolverines in the Rose Bowl.

To say Carr is obsessing over that game might be too strong, but he does remember it. Michigan was trailing only 7-0 in the second quarter when John Navarre's pass hit Braylon Edwards' heel. USC's Lofa Tatupu intercepted and ran it back to the Michigan 3. USC scored easily to make it 14-0.

"They got a hell of a break when the ball hit Braylon in the heel," Carr said. "We never got back in it. If you look at the teams (they beat), they get them down, they kill...
                                -08-08-2005, 06:18 AM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Schnellenberger building a fourth power in Florida
                                by DJRamFan
                                Sept. 23, 2004
                                By Dennis Dodd
                                SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Why not flip a coin to pick a starting quarterback?

Howard Schnellenberger had done wackier things in his career. Twenty years ago it seemed like he was throwing that career away. Miami had won the national championship in 1983 and Schnellenberger, the celebrated architect of Hurricanes football, bolted -- try not to laugh -- to the USFL.

Needless to say, that didn't work out. There was an inspiring stop at Louisville and a disappointing one at Oklahoma but, really, his career arc was never the same again.

"In my opinion, he might have as many championships as anybody, ever (if he stayed at Miami)," Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said. "It's crossed my mind many times."

So why not flip that coin three years ago? How is that more outrageous than creating a football program at an unknown campus in Boca Raton, Fla.? A place where the burrowing owls on campus were the inspiration for the school's nickname?

Or agreeing to go door-to-door soliciting community leaders for the mere $15 million needed to go from germ of an idea to kickoff?

Really, it wasn't weird at all for the 70-year old who, well, let's just say he still has extreme confidence in his abilities. So, yeah, it really was Schnellenberger who suggested in 2001 that freshman quarterbacks Jared Allen and Garrett Jahn flip a coin to start the first game in Florida Atlantic's history.

"They were too close for a human being to call so God called it," Schnellenberger said this week, considering his latest construction project. "Certainly I would do that. Why wouldn't I?"

Ridiculous is sublime again in Schnellenberger's world. Amid this season's talking points -- hurricanes, instant replay, kickers who can't kick -- is the job Schnellie has done at that owl-laden commuter campus of 13,000 students in Palm Beach County.

Three victories, all on the road, all against I-A competition in Florida Atlantic's final season before joining the big time, which in this case is the Sun Belt Conference in 2005. Next year, this college football IPO will be eligible for -- please stifle your laughter again -- a bowl.

All of it after playing organized college football for all of four years. All of it according to plan.

"He was basically semi-retired in Miami selling municipal bonds," said Dr. Anthony Catanese, the man who hired Schnellenberger at Florida Atlantic in 1998. "I said, 'That's not the place for Howard Schnellenberger.'

"He told me in five years he'd have this program nationally recognized. He did it in three."

Almost all of it has been done with kids from the state of Florida who couldn't go to one of the Big Three -- Miami, Florida or Florida State....
                                -09-23-2004, 01:14 PM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Perfection isn't good enough to give Auburn shot at title
                                by DJRamFan
                                Jan. 01, 2005
                                SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW ORLEANS -- Poor Auburn.

Advertisement

A 12-0 record and SEC title would be enough to make the Tigers a front-runner for the national title most years -- or at least cause a spirited debate about who's No. 1.

But this isn't most years.

While Southern California and Oklahoma prepare for their Orange Bowl matchup that probably will decide an undisputed national title, Auburn can only watch like the envious kid with his nose pressed up against the glass. No matter what the Tigers do in Monday night's Sugar Bowl, they have little, if any chance, of being No. 1.

"To be honest with you, it gives us more motivation," running back Carnell Williams said. "Everybody's mad, disappointed, hurt. But why should we stop here and let that be a setback? Why not go out on Jan. 3 and try to show people that the system is whacked? They messed up. We are the best team."

If this scenario sounds familiar, well, it is. Only No. 3 Auburn's plight is even more pitiful than top-ranked Southern California's being left out of the Bowl Championship Series title game last year.

The Trojans at least had the hope of splitting the national title because they were No. 1 in both polls, and that's exactly what happened. Southern California kept its No. 1 ranking in the Associated Press Top 25 poll, while LSU won the BCS crown.

"If it happens we're fortunate enough to win, perhaps some other poll might decide we deserve to be No. 1," said Ed Richardson, the interim president at Auburn.

But Auburn is behind No. 1 Southern California and No. 2 Oklahoma, who have identical 12-0 records. Even if Auburn beats No. 9 Virginia Tech (10-2) in one of those laughers normally reserved for nonconference foes, the Tigers are unlikely to leapfrog the Orange Bowl winner or be anything other than the answer to a trivia question.

No team from a major conference has gone unbeaten without getting at least a share of the national title since Penn State in 1994. The Nittany Lions were 12-0 then and won the Rose Bowl, but Nebraska was 13-0 and a consensus champ.

"This is all mythical," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said. "When you don't have a playoff of four, eight or 16 teams, it's picked by other people. We think we're the best team in the country, and we've played like it so far most of the time this year. But again, that's for other people to decide."

The BCS tweaked its formula this year in hopes of avoiding messes just like this, emphasizing the human polls over computers. But as Auburn and Utah and California found out, the polls aren't foolproof, either.

While Southern California and Oklahoma have been the national title favorites all year, Auburn was way...
                                -01-01-2005, 03:00 PM
                              • DJRamFan
                                SEC preview: Miles' task at LSU simple: Win 'em all
                                by DJRamFan
                                By Dennis Dodd

No pressure or anything, Les Miles, but it would be nice if you'd deliver an SEC title in your first season at LSU.

OK, a national championship wouldn't hurt either.

SEC
                                Predicted Finish
                                East
                                1. Tennessee
                                2. Florida
                                3. Georgia
                                4. South Carolina
                                5. Kentucky
                                6. Vanderbilt
                                West
                                1. LSU
                                2. Auburn
                                3. Alabama
                                4. Arkansas
                                5. Mississippi
                                6. Mississippi State
                                Off. player of year:
                                Chris Leak, Florida
                                Def. player of year:
                                Jesse Mahelona, Tennessee
                                Coach of the year:
                                Urban Meyer, Florida
                                Like any coach jumping up a level, Miles wanted the fame, money and power that goes with coaching an SEC power. Now comes the reality. Nick Saban left Miles a load of talent.

And Miles cannot screw it up. No pressure or anything, Les, but the expectations are through the roof.

"I think I spoke on (a) Wednesday night and I got in the car," said the Tigers' new coach. "(A) guy talked about nine wins and then at the podium somebody mentioned 10 or 11, then a guy said, 'Well, you know 12 victories is probably just what we'd like, coach.'"

Yeah, no pressure.

Miles enters the House That Nick Built with the burden of Tiger Nation upon him. Being the first coach to lead Oklahoma State to three consecutive bowl games is one thing. Keeping Tiger Stadium rocking at an earthquake level is another.

Saban wasn't the most media-friendly guy in the world, but he did deliver two SEC titles and a national championship. That will earn him a lifetime spot in LSU hearts.

Saban recruited so well that the Tigers have averaged 10 victories the past four seasons. Seemingly the only way they can be dragged down this year is a still-questionable quarterback situation.

Les Miles hits Baton Rouge after leading Oklahoma State to back-to-back upsets of then-No. 1 Oklahoma. (AP)
                                Sophomore JaMarcus Russell has been slow to develop, but that doesn't mean he can't be this year's Jason Campbell. Besides, the Tigers are so loaded at defensive line, running back and receiver that it might not matter.

Right now, it certainly doesn't matter to LSU fans. LSU was an overwhelming pick to win the SEC West by the media. Six players were picked on the preseason all-conference teams. The run started by Saban is unprecedented in LSU history. It's up to Miles (28-21 at Oklahoma State) not to screw it up.

"The program is in great shape," he said. "There's arguably maybe no finer football program in the country being run."

What...
                                -08-24-2005, 07:00 PM
                              Working...
                              X