Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did Michigan let Ryan Mallett get away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did Michigan let Ryan Mallett get away?

i watched ryan mallett torch georgia for 400 yards and 5tds in his first SEC game. THe kid looks like a terrific nfl prospect to me, albeit based on very limited data. He is 6 foot 7 and BIG with a very strong arm and excellent pocket presence.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Re: How did Michigan let Ryan Mallett get away?

Because he does not fit in their offensive scheme. My understanding is that he was a sit back in the pocket and throw the ball type QB. RR's offense requires a more mobile QB like they have in Tate Forcier. Think Pat White. There was a play against ND where he was dead to rights, stopped and changed directions almost breaking the defenders knees, and bought time to complete the pass. It was AWESOME...

YouTube - 2009 Notre Dame at Michigan, Last drive of Wolverines
    This space for rent...

Comment

Yep, just not a good schematic fit for what Rich Rod wants to do.

Comment

I live in Fayetteville and was at the Arkansas/Alabama game, front row (not that you couldn't have seen it on t.v. and probably more clearly). Mallett has a cannon for an arm but he is not very mobile and does not throw well on the move. He has to get better in both regards if he is going to be an elite QB at the next level and although he came through in the clutch versus Georgia, he majorly choked in the 4th quarter against Alabama.

Comment

Rich Rod fail! Good Riddence

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• lionsfan81
            How is Clifton Ryan looking??
            by lionsfan81
            Hey Michigan State fan here?? I was wondering how Clifton Ryan was looking. He was my favorite defensive player and the best one that we had, hopefully he makes the team and turns out to be a bright spot!
            -08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
          • RamWraith
            Ryan Makes Strong Impression Inside
            by RamWraith
            Wednesday, August 15, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
            Senior Writer

While first-round pick Adam Carriker has garnered most of the attention for his performance in the middle of the defensive line, another young defensive tackle is quietly earning high praise from the coaching staff.

Drafted in the fifth round out of Michigan State, the expectations for Clifton Ryan were nowhere near those of Carriker.

From Day 1, Carriker has been expected to be the medicine that ails the Rams’ run defense. Ryan was expected to be a developmental prospect, the type of player who could one day grow into a solid starter.

From the way his coaches talk about him privately and the way he anchors against the run game, Ryan is already well ahead of schedule.

“Clifton Ryan is a true nose guard which, since I have been here, we haven’t had a true nose guard,” Rams coach Scott Linehan said. “When it comes to a guy who just plays it because that is what he knows. I think he showed up and had an excellent day as far anchoring and playing nose guard. He gives us a guy that when people try and run the ball at us, he is a guy that we would be able to insert in the game and really holds up.”

Indeed, the Rams haven’t had that type of player since the departure of Ryan Pickett to the Green Bay Packers before last season. The team tried Jimmy Kennedy, who had played most of his career at the three technique, as the nose guard last year. By any measure, that experiment didn’t work out.

So, the Rams entered the offseason looking for help at a position that clearly needed some fresh bodies. After seemingly every solid free agent prospect at the position re-signed with his team, the Rams turned their attention to the draft.

The big splash was made by grabbing Carriker with the 13th pick in the first round. But they weren’t done there. The team had thought highly of Ryan heading into the draft and grabbed him with the 154th choice overall.

For Ryan, being drafted at all was the culmination of a collegiate career in which it was difficult to ever feel truly comfortable with what he was doing.

“I knew I had the potential to play at this level but there was a lot of turnover at my position coach’s position,” Ryan said. “I had six position coaches in four and a half years at Michigan State so I think once I got in the system they really saw what I can do at the nose tackle position. I think I can really show my potential and I appreciate coach (Jim) Haslett and coach (Brian) Baker seeing something in me and drafting me back in April and putting me in a situation and a system where I can really showcase my skills.”

The fact that Ryan entered the league as a defensive tackle at all, came as a surprise to him. When he arrived in East Lansing in 2002, he was a highly recruited, 260-pound outside linebacker.

-08-15-2007, 02:21 PM
          • general counsel
            nick and other experts, question on broehm
            by general counsel
            Following up on a theme raised by the omniscient and omnipresent Big Bison, can someone explain to me how brian broehm went from being considered a top 5 pick a year ago to someone who might not go in the top 20 (as per nick who we all respect a ton)?

I didnt see broehm play all that much, but he sure seem to pile up some impressive stats his senior year, completing countless passes to the Az Hakim wanna be harry douglass.

It appears to me that this is the inverse of the jay cutler situation. Cutler, with minimal expectations, on a team that has been terrible since the days of jim thorpe, shot up the boards and became a top pick when he led that team to several impressive wins. Broehm, with the highest possible expectations (heisman or bust) is being penalized for staying in school an extra year when the reality appears to me that his defense killed him.

Who knows what impact the pathetic defense had on the play calling or the decision making of broehm. I just dont see what he did to harm his status so significantly, other than to say (as i have said a million times) the quarterback is like the president of the USA. He gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when they dont go well.

I hate the argument "He's a winner!" People used that with ken dorsey, who was 39-1 as a college qb and yet anyone could see that he had no shot of being a quality nfl qb. There are tons of factors that go into winning and losing and while the qb is a critical component, there are an awful lot of factors out of the qb's control. Blocking and quality skill position players are obvious, but the play of the defense is critical as well.

Enough of my ranting. I defer to the draft experts on this, please enlighten me. If Broehm was available at 33, i would grab him in a second and i think Av is correct, i think baltimore takes him at 8.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
            -04-14-2008, 10:52 AM
          • renrawtruk
            Matt Ryan
            by renrawtruk
            I'm sold. He's the real deal.

He "directs" his offense, and he's just a rookie. They have him running no huddle, he's audibling a lot, and he makes the big plays on big downs.

I can't help but look at our team and it seems Bulger mainly just runs the plays as called and isn't really "directing" the offense, he's just following instructions. Kind of the leader/intangible stuff that's sometimes hard to put a finger on.
            -12-07-2008, 12:35 PM
          • r8rh8rmike
            Ryan Earning Recognition
            by r8rh8rmike
            Ryan Earning Recognition
            Thursday, October 22, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
            Senior Writer

They are the unidentified giants in the middle, the anonymous players quietly having a serious impact on the game, the nameless grunts going to battle on every play that almost never get the recognition they deserve.

They are defensive tackles and – more specifically – the nose tackles who on every single snap ignite a massive collision of humanity that in some way or another will almost always have a direct effect on what happens on a given play.

For the Rams, the man handling those duties is Clifton Ryan. And though you may not realize it, the third-year nose tackle out of Michigan State is having a breakout 2009 season that is earning rave reviews from those that have seen him play, those that play with him and those that play against him.

“Clif has done a great job,” defensive coordinator Ken Flajole said. “I complimented him last week. The outcome wasn’t what we wanted but I thought Clif played a nice game for us. He continues to get better. He’s one of those guys that goes in and battle every day on the interior line. It’s not a pretty position, you don’t get a lot of credit sometimes when you are playing well and it’s a position that kind of gets lost sometimes. There is nothing pretty or glamorous about the defensive tackle position. He’s done a nice job for us and hopefully he will continue to get better and keep helping us.”

In most sports, the one thing that never lies is the numbers. Statistics can determine a lot about how well a hitter is doing in baseball or what type of performance a basketball player is putting forth every night. It can be true in football too unless you play defensive tackle.

Six games into the 2009 season, Ryan has 21 tackles, a sack and a pass defended. Those numbers might seem average on the surface when compared to, say, middle linebacker James Laurinaitis.

A guy like Laurinaitis leads the Rams with 59 tackles, nearly 10 per game and he immediately jumps out on the game film because he’s constantly around the ball.

But what doesn’t get seen is the part of the play where Ryan takes on two or more blockers, one of whom was probably originally assigned to get to the second level and block Laurinaitis in an effort to spring his running back.

Instead, Ryan uses his 6’3, 310-pound frame to take up space, push back the linemen and allow Laurinaitis to run free to the ball. In many ways, it’s like having a point guard who can distribute the ball to a dominant post player in basketball.

And as it stands, Ryan is doing it as well as he’s ever done it on a professional level.

“I guess you could say that from an individual standpoint but I want some wins,” Ryan said. “I would trade any personal accolades for a couple of victories....
            -10-22-2009, 05:25 PM
          Working...
          X