X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwestern ends 33-year losing streak vs. Ohio State

Oct. 3, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports
    EVANSTON, Ill. -- The Northwestern players piled on top of each other in the corner of the end zone while students rushed the field, turning it into a purple mosh pit.

They partied into the night long after Noah Herron's 1-yard touchdown run gave Northwestern a 33-27 upset of No. 7 Ohio State on Saturday night, not even caring when the north goal post held firm. This party was 33 years in the making, and they weren't about to go home early.

"It's hard to put into words," said safety Jeff Backes, an Ohio native. "I came here with a dream to beat the Buckeyes and it's been 33 years. This is one I will never forget."

Herron scored three touchdowns, including the winner in overtime, and Northwestern (2-3, 1-1 Big Ten) backed up its pregame trash talk with its first victory over Ohio State (3-1, 0-1) since 1971. The win snapped the Buckeyes' 24-game winning streak in the series, and handed them their first loss in Evanston since 1958.

"Thirty-three years was long enough," said Northwestern coach Randy Walker, an Ohio native.

It also was Northwestern's first victory over a top-10 team since beating then-No. 7 Wisconsin in double overtime in Madison on Sept. 23, 2000.

Ohio State has made it a habit of pulling out the close wins, winning 13 of its last 15 games that were decided by seven points or less. The Buckeyes beat Marshall earlier this season on Mike Nugent's field goal as time expired, and Nugent tied a school record with five field goals to beat North Carolina State two weeks ago.

Advertisement

It looked as if the Buckeyes' luck might hold again Saturday after they rallied to score 10 points in the final nine minutes and force overtime. But the normally automatic Nugent misfired, with his 40-yard field-goal attempt sailing wide right on the first overtime possession.

"It was probably one of the best balls I hit tonight," Nugent said. "I thought it was going to be dead-center."

Instead, the Wildcats got a second chance to put the Buckeyes away and they made the most of it. On the second play, quarterback Brett Basanez scrambled to the left and up the sideline for a 21-yard gain. Two plays later, Herron bulldozed his way into the end zone for the winning score, setting off pandemonium at the stadium.

"I wouldn't have requested to be at the end of (the streak)," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said. "But we are. Unfortunately, that's the case. We have to start trying to get better, starting tomorrow."

Herron ran for 113 yards, rushed for two 1-yard scores and also caught a 12-yard TD pass. Mark Philmore had 134 yards receiving and a touchdown, the first of his career. Brett Basanez was 24-of-44 for 278 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Ohio State's offense had another shaky night, not finding its groove until the fourth quarter. Justin Zwick was 18-of-38 for 211 yards, but 90 yards came in the final period. Santonio Holmes had 99 yards receiving and a score.

But the Buckeyes had just 97 yards rushing. Lydell Ross had 31 yards on 11 carries.

Northwestern defensive tackle Luis Castillo had set bulletin boards aflame all over Columbus earlier in the week when he said Ohio State had a "mediocre" offense. And Philmore -- an Ohio native -- said the Buckeyes were "kids just like you out there."

The Wildcats showed they can do more than yap, though, controlling the game almost the entire night. They outgained the Buckeyes 444-308, and the defense came up with big plays time and again in the final quarter.

"It sure didn't hurt," Castillo said of his boast. "(Winning) was the greatest feeling in the world."

But there's a reason the Buckeyes are one of the country's top teams. They rallied in the fourth quarter, with Zwick moving them to the Northwestern 4 on their first drive. On third-and-goal, though, Nick Roach and John Pickens swarmed Zwick, taking him down for a 7-yard loss and forcing Ohio State to settle for Nugent's 29-yard field goal. The Buckeyes' defense gave Zwick another chance when linebacker Bobby Carpenter picked off Basanez's pass at the Northwestern 28 and returned it 6 yards.

Zwick connected with Bam Childress on a 15-yard pass, putting Ohio State at the Northwestern 4. But Antonio Pittman was stopped for a 3-yard loss, and Pickens chased Zwick deep into the backfield, sacking him for a 13-yard loss on second down.

Jeff Backes then picked off what would have been the game-tying pass, intercepting Zwick in the end zone.

But the Buckeyes finally got it right on their third try. Moving 69 yards in just five plays and 90 seconds, Zwick rushed for 18 yards, then had completions of 11 yards and 19 yards before finding Holmes deep in the end zone for the 21-yard score to force overtime.

"I thought we had it," offensive tackle Rob Sims said. "Around here we just feel when it's close like that, we feel like we can pull it out. I guess today we were wrong."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
    Fresno State dominates Big 12 champs in shocking rout
    by DJRamFan
    Sept. 11, 2004
    MANHATTAN, Kan. -- In 2001, Fresno State made a run at breaking into the Bowl Championship Series by beating big-name teams.

The Bulldogs are at it again.

Fresno State's 45-21 upset of No. 13 Kansas State was its second victory over a team from a BCS conference in seven days -- and their seventh since the BCS was established in 1999.

With the big payday a BCS bowl guarantees, perhaps it's fitting that coach Pat Hill used a poker metaphor to describe his team's situation.

"We are still at the main table," Hill said. "We were all in. We picked up all their chips, and now we've got a bigger pile -- and next week we'll go all in again."

Fresno State (2-0) didn't have to catch many breaks against the Wildcats, either. After giving up an early touchdown on Bret Jones' 42-yard interception return, they dominated the defending Big 12 Conference champions the rest of the game.

Bulldogs running back Dwayne Wright scored two touchdowns before tearing a tendon in his right knee in the fourth quarter, sidelining him for the season.

Advertisement

Bryson Sumlin was originally credited with Wright's second touchdown, but Kansas State officials gave the TD to Wright after reviewing the tape.

Paul Pinegar threw two touchdown passes to Matt Rivera and ran for another score, and Sumlin added one TD run in Fresno State's biggest win over a ranked team -- and the Wildcats' worst regular-season nonconference loss in 13 years.

"I've been here for 16 years," Kansas State coach Bill Snyder said. "You can remember some of the 1-10 and 5-6 (seasons). We never had a football team that just got beat up as badly as we did today."

The Bulldogs' 45 points were the most given up by the Wildcats in a regular-season nonconference game since a 56-3 loss to Washington in 1991. Fresno State's previous most decisive win over a ranked team was a 44-24 defeat of Oregon State, then ranked 10th, in 2001.

That season the Bulldogs, from the Western Athletic Conference, also knocked off Colorado and Wisconsin on the road.

Kansas State (1-1) led 7-0 before it took a snap, but the Wildcats couldn't do much right after Jones' defensive touchdown less than 3 minutes into the game. They had only 2 yards of offense in the first quarter and trailed 31-14 at the half.

Fresno State's defense, which scored three times in last Sunday's 35-16 win at Washington, held Kansas State star Darren Sproles to 37 yards on 11 carries and forced two key turnovers.

"We realized that if we stopped him, it would be no contest," said cornerback Richard Marshall, who set up a touchdown with a third-quarter interception. "We knew the only person they have...
    -09-13-2004, 12:24 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Stanton totals 414 yards as Michigan State rips No. 19 Minnesota
    by DJRamFan
    Oct. 16, 2004
    EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Michigan State quarterback Drew Stanton is facing a hefty dinner tab.

Stanton owes his offensive linemen a meal after setting a school record with 414 yards of total offense in Saturday's 51-17 victory over No. 19 Minnesota.

Stanton credited the big guys up front for the honor.

"That's already planned," Stanton said of the upcoming dinner. "I'll get my piggy bank out, because I've got six hungry guys here."

The win kept bowl hopes alive for the resurgent Spartans (4-3, 3-1 Big Ten). The Gophers (5-2, 2-2) have lost two straight.

Stanton passed for 308 yards and ran for 102 more. He also had a 4-yard reception.

Stanton's yardage tops the previous school record of 393 set by quarterback Jeff Smoker against Fresno State in 2001.

Advertisement

Michigan State gained 407 yards in the first half, a school record, while taking a 31-10 lead. The Spartans finished with 636 yards of offense.

"We're putting up a lot of yards, and we've got good balance with the run and the pass," said offensive guard William Whitticker.

The offense has clicked since Stanton entered the starting lineup four games ago. Stanton, a sophomore, was slowed early in the season because of a lingering injury to his right knee.

"He has all the confidence in the world, and we have the same in him on the field," center Chris Morris said.

The offensive production came despite cold, rainy conditions with temperatures in the low 40s at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans are now 9-3 against ranked teams at home since 1998.

The Spartans rolled up 324 rushing yards. Jehuu Caulcrick had 94 yards and two touchdowns on 13 carries for Michigan State.

Stanton was 20-of-31 with three touchdowns through the air, including two to tight end Eric Knott. Terry Love also caught a touchdown pass. Stanton threw two interceptions.

Minnesota coach Glen Mason said it was the worst loss he's suffered in his seven-plus years with the Gophers.

"The big question is why?" Mason said. "I'm really not sure. I don't have the answers and really didn't see it coming."

Minnesota couldn't get its vaunted running attack untracked, finishing with 102 yards.

Laurence Maroney had 54 yards on 13 carries for the Gophers. Marion Barber III had 36 yards on eight carries.

Both Maroney and Barber entered the game among the nation's top 20 rushers. Minnesota entered the game averaging 301 yards rushing per game, third best in the nation behind only Rice and Texas.

Minnesota quarterback Bryan Cupito was 11-of-33 for 211 yards, with two touchdowns and two interceptions....
    -10-16-2004, 02:40 PM
  • DJRamFan
    I-AA Wrapup: Shakedown Saturday
    by DJRamFan
    Changes in the elite are emerging

Oct. 3, 2004

By David Coulson, Senior Columnist, I-AA.org
    Special to CollegeSports.com from I-AA.org

As a youngster, I used to watch reruns of Star Trek every day after school. And I always wondered what it would be like to have Scotty's transporter in my house.

Just think about how cool it would be to quickly beam yourself from one place to another.

I could have used that device on Saturday to keep track of some great matchups in I-AA football -- matchups that will have obvious repercussions on the NCAA playoffs in the next month and a half.

I would have started my journey by beaming to Tubby Raymond Field for the Delaware-Maine showdown in the Atlantic 10. As it was, I had to settle for watching the No. 4 Blue Hens and No. 8 Black Bears play a instant classic on my trusty, though less flashy VCR.

This was a game that many thought would be a defensive struggle, but instead the two teams combined for 81 points and 954 yards of total offense.

Delaware, which had showed almost no offensive consistency this season, jumped to a 20-0 lead early in the second quarter and had beaten its best scoring output of the season by the middle of the second period with a 27-7 advantage.

Maine, which usually likes to control the ball on the ground behind big, senior tailback Marcus Williams, was forced to almost completely abandon its rushing attack and came charging back behind the arm of sophomore quarterback Ron Whitcomb.

Whitcomb completed 22-of-40 passes for 310 yards and three touchdowns, two of the scoring aerials to Christian Pereira (nine catches for 143 yards).

When Whitcomb connected with Pereira on a 10-yard scoring strike early in the fourth quarter, the Black Bears pulled within 37-35 and Mike Mellow's 21-yard field goal finally gave Maine the lead with 7:12 to play, 38-37.

But Saturday was the day that Delaware quarterback Sonny Riccio finally arrived. Much was expected when Riccio transferred last spring from Missouri to fill the void left by the graduation loss of I-AA.Org offensive player of the year Andy Hall.

Riccio struggled in his first three games as a Blue Hen, games that included a loss to New Hampshire and two unimpressive wins over Towson and Division II West Chester.

But Riccio hit 33-of-51 passes for 415 yards and a 28-yard touchdown and added a 12-yard scoring run against Maine. And he led Delaware on a clutch drive that resulted in a last-minute, game-winning touchdown.

As soon as the gun sounded in Newark, Del., I would have been ready to say: "Scotty, beam me to Carbondale, Ill. for the Southern Illinois-Northern Iowa showdown."

It looked for a half like it would be another week for the curse...
    -10-04-2004, 11:58 AM
  • DJRamFan
    No. 4 Ohio State Loses Close Call to No. 2 Texas, 24-22
    by DJRamFan
    Tne Buckeyes return to action on Sept. 17 when they host San Diego State

Sept. 10, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Vince Young connected in the clutch and won it for Texas with his arm, more than his legs - just like a star quarterback is supposed to.

Young, best known for his highlight-reel runs, threw a 24-yard go-ahead touchdown to Limas Sweed with 2:37 left and No. 2 Texas defeated No. 4 Ohio State 25-22 Saturday night in the much-anticipated first meeting between two of college football's most storied programs.

Young's floating TD pass over a defender capped a 72-yard drive during which his biggest plays were through the air, including a third-and-6 completion of 9 yards to Jamaal Charles. His second TD pass of the game made the score 23-22 and the defense did the rest.

The Longhorns' 'D,' which time and time again toughened after turnovers and special teams gave Ohio State good field position, had the biggest takeaway of the game when Drew Kelson stripped a scrambling Justin Zwick and Brian Robison recovered and returned it inside the 20.

Ohio State held the Longhorns out of the end zone, but Larry Dibbles sacked Troy Smith for a safety and Texas coach Mack Brown had his second straight huge victory over a Big Ten team.

The Longhorns defeated Michigan in the Rose Bowl, when Young launched his 2005 Heisman Trophy campaign with 192 yards rushing.

Young proved against the Buckeyes he can pass it when he needs to as well.

One Ohio State player had said the Buckeyes' goal was to put an end to Young's Heisman campaign. And while Bobby Carpenter and Ohio State's swift linebacking crew hemmed in Young after some good runs early, they couldn't keep him from passing for 270 yards.

Young also had made a couple of those poor decisions and bad throws - he was intercepted twice - that have caused him to be labeled a tailback playing quarterback.

But he finished 18-for-29 and ran 20 times for 76 yards.

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel was true to his promise, playing both Zwick and Troy Smith at quarterback. Neither distinguished himself, and it looks like the quarterback competition will resume for the Buckeyes.

Smith ran for 27 yards, threw a touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes and led Ohio State on five scoring drives.

Zwick was 9-for-15 for 66 yards and led Ohio State to one of John Huston's school-record tying five field goals.

Ohio State came up with three turnovers in Texas territory, but the Buckeyes could only manage three field goals against defensive end Tim Crowder and the Texas defense.

And when Ted Ginn Jr.'s 46-yard kickoff return got the Buckeyes to around midfield in the third quarter, they again drove inside the 20, only to stall when...
    -09-11-2005, 12:36 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Michigan State 49, No. 4 Wisconsin 14
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 13, 2004

EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) Michigan State used a powerful rushing attack, a trick play and a key defensive stand to defeat No. 4 Wisconsin 49-14 Saturday and knock the Badgers out of the national championship race.

The Spartans (5-5, 4-3 Big Ten) handed the Badgers their first loss and knocked Wisconsin (9-1, 6-1) into a second-place tie with Iowa in the Big Ten behind Michigan. The win keeps bowl hopes alive for Michigan State.

Advertisement

The Badgers entered the game ranked fifth in the Bowl Championship Series standings, primarily because of a dominating defense that had allowed 9.1 points a game - lowest in the nation. But Michigan State rolled up 551 yards of total offense, including 430 on the ground.

Jehuu Caulcrick had 146 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries for the Spartans. Jason Teague had 112 yards and a TD on 17 carries. He also caught a 30-yard touchdown pass on a trick play in the first half, with the ball thrown by wide receiver Aaron Alexander.

Anthony Davis led Wisconsin with 128 yards on 21 carries, including a touchdown.

Michigan State grabbed a 28-14 lead on the first drive of the second half, sparked by the recovery of a surprise onside kick. It set up a 54-yard drive capped by Caulcrick's 1-yard touchdown run.

The Spartans had preserved their halftime lead by stopping Wisconsin on four straight plays from inside the 1 late in the second quarter. Davis was stopped short of the goal line on fourth-and-inches by linebacker David Herron Jr. and cornerback Roderick Maples.

The play was reviewed by Big Ten officials, but the play stood as called on the field.

Michigan State got a first-half touchdown on a blocked punt by Marshall Campbell, recovered by Travis Key in the end zone.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -11-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Working...
X