X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficient White leads No. 2 Sooners past Texas Tech

Oct. 2, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports
    NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops will be perfectly pleased to settle for 151 yards passing from Jason White in game after game, as long as the modest stats come with victories.

Last season's Heisman Trophy winner produced little yardage but he did complete three touchdown passes to break the OU's career record, and Adrian Peterson ran for 146 yards and a score to lead the second-ranked Sooners past Texas Tech 28-13 Saturday.

"We don't go into any game looking for numbers or looking to put anybody's numbers where they should be," Stoops said. "We go in to win, and Jason operated our offense. ... You forget about his efficiency and the way he executed. He was really solid."

Tech quarterback Sonny Cumbie, who entered the game as the nation's leading passer, looked sharp at times but had three interceptions and a fumble. He was 36-for-55 for 369 yards, 60 below his average -- but still much better on paper than White fared.

White broke Josh Heupel's school mark of 53 TD passes in the third quarter, when fullback J.D. Runnels caught a pass in the right flat and took it into the end zone to put Oklahoma ahead 21-6.

Travis Wilson caught White's other two touchdown passes, in the second and fourth quarters.

White, who went 15-for-24 for just the 151 yards, appeared a little late on several throws in the first half when his 14 attempts yielded merely 55 yards. But he was on the mark when he needed to be after halftime.

Advertisement

"I had a few bad throws starting off, but you've just got to keep playing the next play and forget about the bad ones and keep moving on," White said.

Peterson, making his first start in place of injured Kejuan Jones, scored on a 1-yard touchdown run in the first quarter and topped 100 yards rushing for his fourth straight game -- extending his own Oklahoma freshman record.

Peterson set up Oklahoma's first score with a 61-yard run around the right end and down the sideline. Texas Tech's Khalid Naziruddin caught Peterson at an angle and dove to tackle the freshman as he tried to turn toward the goal post.

"Mark Clayton made a great block, James Moses made a block outside, and I cut it up and just ran the ball until I got tripped up a little bit," Peterson said. "That was a good run."

Three plays later, Peterson bounced off a couple tacklers and reached the ball across the goal line to make it 7-0.

Peterson had a 57-yard touchdown run in the third quarter negated by a holding call against Jammal Brown. He stayed face down on the field briefly after a short run in the fourth quarter but jogged off after trainers came out to tend to him.

"My leg got stuck in the grass and somebody grabbed it," Peterson said. He said his knee was not sprained and felt OK after the game.

The Sooners kept Texas Tech's prolific offense out of the red zone until the fourth quarter, holding the Red Raiders to Alex Trlica's two field goals until less than 5 minutes were left in the game.

The Red Raiders finally got into the end zone on an 8-yard run by Johnnie Mack to cut it to 28-13 with 4:50 left, but Oklahoma recovered an onside kick and ran out the clock.

While Cumbie had the better passing total, White had the day's best play. After eluding a blitzer, White stepped up and zipped a 9-yard pass to Wilson, whose defender slipped in the end zone.

"I knew from the get-go that's who I was going to," White said. "That's where I wanted to go. It was just a matter of waiting for him to clear.

"I just knew if I could get it up there, Travis would go get it."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Re: Efficient White leads No. 2 Sooners past Texas Tech

DJ- are you a sooner fan? They were actually the first football team I knew(parents are from Binger & lokeeba) So I've been a fan since I was 2 yrs old. Accorrding to POP !

Comment

Adrian Peterson is the real deal. However, that defense dosen't look as intimidating as it has in the past.

We'll see Saturday at 11 AM CST.

Comment

no, no, no, not a sooner fan. more of a michigan fan actually.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
          Greene gets Dawgs started, then helps Georgia finish off Jackets
          by DJRamFan
          Nov. 27, 2004
          ATHENS, Ga. -- David Greene saw the game slipping away. His left thumb was hurting, but he wanted to go back in.

Good thing for Georgia that he did.

After leading the No. 8 Bulldogs to an early lead over Georgia Tech, Greene returned at the end with a fractured thumb to make sure Georgia held on for a 19-13 victory Saturday.

"I felt the momentum slipping," said Greene, who guided the Bulldogs to a crucial field goal late in the game. "I took my coat off. I took the brace off my thumb. If anything, I just wanted to give us a little spark."

Greene was hurt on Georgia's first series, fracturing the tip of the thumb on his throwing hand just before he tossed a 28-yard touchdown pass to Fred Gibson. The senior quarterback played one more series before heading to the sideline, apparently to sit out the rest of the game.

Not so fast.

With just over seven minutes remaining and the Bulldogs (9-2) struggling to preserve their fourth straight win over the Yellow Jackets, Greene trotted back on the field. He couldn't make any deep throws, and he worked only out of the shotgun to lessen the pain when taking the snap.

Advertisement

But the mere presence of Greene -- the winningest quarterback in major-college history -- seemed to have a calming influence on the offense, which struggled through most of the second half with backup D.J. Shockley at the helm.

Greene completed a couple of passes on a 40-yard drive that set up Brandon Coutu's first career field goal, a 44-yarder with 2:22 left.

"Greene wasn't at his best physically, but he was at his best in the leadership role and leading us to that last field goal," coach Mark Richt said. "Without it, we're probably still playing right now."

Indeed, Georgia Tech (6-5) gave the Bulldogs quite a scare when Reggie Ball threw a 38-yard pass to Levon Thomas, who split four defenders to haul in the ball at the Georgia 21.

After completing a pass for no gain, Ball was sacked for an 11-yard loss by Quentin Moses. At that point, the Yellow Jackets lost track of the downs.

Ball raced up to the line to spike the ball, stopping the clock but leaving Georgia Tech with fourth-and-21. On the next play, he rolled right under heavy pressure and just lofted the ball out of bounds to avoid the sack.

"The scoreboard said one thing, the refs said another," Ball said. "When you've got a game that close, you've got to expect a little home cooking. You've got to fight through it."

The Yellow Jackets looked stunned when the official signaled a first down going the other way. The offense slowly walked off the field, and Georgia took a knee to end the game, which was played...
          -11-28-2004, 05:26 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Texas coach declares Oklahoma is better than last year
          by DJRamFan
          Oct. 10, 2004

DALLAS -- Texas coach Mack Brown thinks this Oklahoma squad might just be better than the one that dominated his team a year ago.

Advertisement

The reason wasn't the score -- the second-ranked Sooners beat the Longhorns 12-0 on Saturday, compared with a 65-13 blowout last season. Rather, it was the abundance of talent for Oklahoma (5-0, 2-0 Big 12) that made the biggest impression on Brown.

Quarterback Jason White, last year's Heisman Trophy winner, threw for just 113 yards and no touchdowns while getting picked off twice. And it was more than enough for the Sooners, thanks to 225 yards rushing on 32 carries by dynamic freshman running back Adrian Peterson.

"Jason's such a great player and he's been around so long, we felt like we had to give him a lot of different looks and try to change up," Brown said. "Where they're so much better in some ways than they even were last year is they have the ability to run the ball now, so it's really hard to get pressure on him."

At the end of last season, pressure was the best strategy to beat Oklahoma. Kansas State and LSU blitzed White endlessly and it cost the Sooners the Big 12 title and the national championship.

But with Peterson in the backfield, it's no longer possible for teams to forget the run and focus on White. While Peterson never made it into the end zone against the Longhorns (4-1, 1-1), he put the Sooners in scoring position.

"I guess he was the difference maker," Longhorns cornerback Michael Huff said.

With Peterson emerging as Oklahoma's primary back, coach Bob Stoops is able to use Kejuan Jones as a change of pace. The junior, who bulked up to 200 pounds in the offseason, once excelled as a goal-line back for the Sooners but inherited the starter's role when Quentin Griffin departed.

Jones had 63 yards and a touchdown against Texas.

"We expected to be able to run the football, and it wasn't just Adrian," Stoops said. "I think our offensive line and the way they played are all part of running the ball. We're improving with it."

The Sooners' defense also had its best performance of the season, holding Cedric Benson to 92 yards and shutting out a Texas team that hadn't been held scoreless since 1980.

Oklahoma came up with three turnovers, including two in its own territory, and twice sacked Texas quarterback Vince Young to knock the Longhorns out of field-goal range.

"I thought defensively, maybe not too many people recognize or give those guys much credit," Stoops said. "I felt all along we were on the verge of really playing well defensively."

Stoops said he believed the rivalry game in the past had been a helpful boost...
          -10-11-2004, 01:40 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Greene becomes Georgia's winningest QB in rout of Vanderbilt
          by DJRamFan
          Oct. 16, 2004
          ATHENS, Ga. -- Except for one series, David Greene played about as well as he can for Georgia.

It helps to have a pair of 100-yard runners in the backfield -- and Vanderbilt on the opposite side of the line.

Greene passed for two touchdowns and ran for another, leading the 12th-ranked Bulldogs to a 33-3 rout of lowly Vanderbilt on Saturday.

Greene found plenty of room to pass when the Commodores began crowding the line, trying without much success to stop Georgia's freshmen running backs.

Danny Ware rushed for 127 yards and Thomas Brown had 122, including a touchdown. They were the first pair of Bulldog runners to go over 100 yards in the same game since Garrison Hearst and Mack Strong in 1992.

"That's big," Ware said. "We want to do that every game."

The Bulldogs (5-1, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) bounced back from their first loss of the season, a 19-14 setback to Tennessee.

Advertisement

Greene became just the fifth player in SEC history to pass for 10,000 yards in his career. He also picked up his 37th victory, breaking a tie with College Football Hall of Famer Johnny Rauch as the winningest quarterback in Georgia history.

"Wins are the thing," said Greene, just two wins away from Peyton Manning's NCAA record. "For a quarterback, that's what you're always going to be judged by. Wins mean more to me than anything else."

The left-hander has struggled much of the season, coming into the game as only the ninth-rated quarterback in the SEC. But Greene had the right opponent to pad his numbers.

Vanderbilt (1-5, 1-3) is only one defeat from its 22nd straight losing season. Georgia piled up a season-high 527 yards, holding the Commodores to just 187.

Greene played seven possessions in the game, leading the Bulldogs to four touchdowns and a field goal, while another drive reached Vandy territory before stalling.

The only time Greene looked out of sync was when he threw three straight incompletions late in the second quarter.

"I felt like I played great except for one drive," he said.

Greene completed 14 of 21 for 191 yards, including a pair of touchdowns in the third quarter that put the game out of reach.

Georgia scored on its first two possessions and led 16-3 at halftime. The Bulldogs followed the same script in the second half.

Greene finished off an eight-play, 80-yard drive with a 22-yard pass to Leonard Pope, the first touchdown of the sophomore's career and a 23-3 lead.

On Georgia's next possession, Greene faced fourth-and-2 at the Vandy 38. He faked a handoff and lofted a perfect pass to Reggie Brown, who beat cornerback Bill Alford in...
          -10-16-2004, 02:42 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Gophers grind out Music City victory over Alabama
          by DJRamFan
          Dec. 31, 2004
          NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Marion Barber III heard all about how Alabama stopped Auburn's vaunted running backs.

Barber and teammate Laurence Maroney simply thought they were better.

Barber ran for 187 yards and a touchdown and Maroney added 105 yards to lead Minnesota to a 20-16 victory over Alabama in the Music City Bowl on Friday.

Barber and Maroney, the only teammates in NCAA history to each rush for 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons, were the only runners to go for more than 100 yards in a game this season against the Crimson Tide, who entered with the nation's second-ranked defense.

"They're a duo, and they're both going to come at you," Minnesota coach Glen Mason said, grinning. "They must be pretty good, I guess."

Alabama held Auburn to just 74 yards rushing in the Crimson Tide's final game, but Barber wasn't impressed.

"I never looked at that," the soft-spoken Barber said. "We just came in more prepared."

Advertisement

The Golden Gophers (7-5) ran for 276 yards to overcome three turnovers -- including two by Barber -- on their first three drives. Still, they nearly gave the game away in the fourth quarter.

Rhys Lloyd, who made field goals from 27 and 24 yards, missed a 24-yard attempt with 5:34 left that would have sealed the victory. Mason admitted he was worried since Minnesota lost games late against Michigan and Iowa.

"When we missed the field goal that would have put us in pretty good shape, I said, 'Here we go again,'" Mason said. "I know if I'm thinking that, so are our kids, but we fought through."

On Minnesota's next possession, it was pinned deep in its own end and elected to take a safety to make it 20-16 rather than attempt a punt.

The decision nearly backfired.

Alabama's Tyrone Prothro returned the free kick to the Minnesota 48, and four completions by Spencer Pennington got the Crimson Tide to the 15. But Pennington overthrew a Prothro in the end zone on third down and couldn't convert a fourth-and-5 with 1:14 to left, ending the game.

"That's all you can ask for, a chance to win the game," Pennington said. "Prothro was open, and I threw it a little high."

Alabama (6-6), making an NCAA-record 52nd bowl appearance, was forced to throw throughout the game with leading rusher Kenneth Darby limited because of an abdominal strain. The Crimson Tide had minus-2 yards rushing in the first half and finished with 21.

Pennington, who finished 22-of-36 for 243 yards and a touchdown, frequently tried to let receivers make plays using short passes.

"We didn't execute the way we should have," he said. "We felt...
          -12-31-2004, 02:57 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Gators give Zook big win over FSU in final game
          by DJRamFan
          Nov. 20, 2004
          TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- This one was for The Zooker.

Chris Leak threw a touchdown, Ciatrick Fason ran for a score, and Florida upset No. 10 Florida State 20-13 to win in Tallahassee for the first time since 1986.

It also gave fired coach Ron Zook a victory in his final regular-season game.

Condemned since the day he replaced Steve Spurrier in 2002, Zook finally did something the ol' ball coach didn't in his 12 glorious seasons with the Gators. He won at Florida State.

The players carried Zook off the field, and the coach flashed a big smile that had been missing for much of his three seasons.

"I congratulated them for a great job, a great effort," Zook said he told his players after the game. "I thanked them for just hanging in there and not quitting."

The Gators (7-4) ended any legitimate chance the Seminoles had of earning a third straight Bowl Championship Series berth. Florida State (8-3) still could finish tied for the Atlantic Coast Conference title but probably would lose all tiebreaker scenarios because of its BCS ranking, which is expected to drop Monday.

Advertisement

Florida also spoiled a special night for longtime Seminoles coach Bobby Bowden. Before the game, the school named its playing surface "Bobby Bowden Field" and unveiled a 20-by-30 foot stained glass window at the stadium featuring Bowden's likeness.

Spurrier --- 0-5-1 in six trips to Tallahassee -- must have loved the upset, too.

The Gators threw with relative ease against Florida State's vaunted defense. Leak finished 19-for-39 for 231 yards with an interception.

"He's very mature for a sophomore," Bowden said. "He plays like a senior. He did a great job."

Fason's 8-yard touchdown run with 4:59 remaining put the Gators ahead for good.

"I saw a lot of guys leaving everything on the field and we won it for Coach," Fason said. "I think this will help him in looking for a job."

Zook's farewell fairy tale almost turned into a redemption story for Florida State, though.

Embattled quarterback Chris Rix came off the bench and threw a touchdown pass with 8:30 to play that cut the lead to 13-10.

He rolled right and heaved a pass into the end zone that Chauncey Stovall caught over Vernell Brown. The pass was reminiscent of Rix's 52-yard touchdown pass to P.K. Sam with 55 seconds remaining last season that gave the Seminoles a 38-34 win.

Rix also drove the Seminoles to the 18-yard line in the waning seconds, but his last pass was intercepted by Jarvis Harris with 8 seconds to play. Rix finished 9-of-16 for 150 yards.

"He brought us back and nearly pulled it...
          -11-21-2004, 05:03 PM
        Working...
        X