X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom_SF
    replied
    Re: Curious what you think - USC commits 13 year old QB

By the time he gets to U$C, they'll be on a 20-game losing streak and he'll end-up at Notre Dame instead.

Leave a comment:

• laram0
    replied

BIZARRE!

Leave the little pip squeak alone.

Leave a comment:

• r8rh8rmike
    replied

Originally posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    University of Spoiled Children? ;)
    That too, in addition to their questionable use of an abundance of $.

Leave a comment:

• txramsfan
    replied

Indiana did this in basketball with Damon Bailey. It backfired by putting too much pressure on Bailey. I hope it happens to USC also. Man......the teams I dislike are really piling up but these two are HEAD and SHOULDERS above the rest.

1. Tennessee
    2. Ole Miss

Leave a comment:

• 01d 0rd3r
    replied

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    They don't call it U$C for nothin'.
    University of Spoiled Children? ;)

Leave a comment:

• r8rh8rmike
    replied

Since Kiffin has pretty much been a dysfunctional nomad lately, I'm not sure he really fits into the equation here. The chances he's still be at $C in 2014 are slim at best.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor
    replied

first round pick for this guy!!

Leave a comment:

• Goldenfleece
    replied

I think it's way early. At 13, he's still got a lot of growing to do. By the time he graduates high school, they might find that they've offered a scholarship to a kid who's 5'9", 160 lbs, and couldn't throw a deep ball to save his life. Of course, if it works out, Kiffin will look like a genius.

Next question is whether we can use a late round draft pick on him.

Leave a comment:

• jmk321
    replied

Originally posted by Warner4prez View Post
    Haha! Wow. I'm honestly more excited to see what Joe Montana's kid will do. I think he starts college next year.
    I saw him playing on some of those high school all american games on ESPN. He didn't look that impressive but those are just all star games where you get only a week to practice and get to know your teamates so they don't really show too much.

And Jimmy Clauson, the Lebron James of football. That's a stretch if I've ever heard one. If this kid does end up being good then I guess Lane Kiffin looks like a genius. It's just weird that they have a kid's entire future planned when he's only 13.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Rambunctious View Post
    This is absurd.

Someone needs to get smacked upside the head. I'm just not sure if it should be the people from USC or the parents or both.
    lol i agree wtf is going on now a days? commiting a 13 yr old?

Leave a comment:

• Rambunctious
    replied

This is absurd.

Someone needs to get smacked upside the head. I'm just not sure if it should be the people from USC or the parents or both.

Leave a comment:

• r8rh8rmike
    replied

"But David's always wanted to go to USC. I mean, is there a better place to play football in the country? How can you pass up the best offer you're ever going to get?"
    Hmm. The best offer you're ever going to get. They don't call it U$C for nothin'. Just ask Reggie Bush and his family.

As far as commiting a 13 year old, I think it's taking things way too far.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Haha! Wow. I'm honestly more excited to see what Joe Montana's kid will do. I think he starts college next year.

Leave a comment:

• 01d 0rd3r
    replied

YouTube - David Sills Highlight

Leave a comment:

• peramoure
    started a topic Curious what you think - USC commits 13 year old QB

Curious what you think - USC commits 13 year old QB

Sills, 13, commits to USC
    Comment Email Print Share
    By Ramona Shelburne
    ESPNLosAngeles.com
    Archive

Lane Kiffin really is getting a jump on recruiting.

No sooner had the Trojans new coach put the finishing touches on the Class of 2010 recruits, that he turned his attention to the Class of 2014.

That's right, 2014.

Thursday evening Kiffin received a verbal commitment from 13-year old wunderkind quarterback David Sills of Bear County, Del..

Too young?

Not according to his personal coach Steve Clarkson, who has mentored some of the game's best quarterbacks including current USC starter Matt Barkley.

"His skill set is off the chart," Clarkson said. "I've never seen anyone at his age do what he's been able to do."

The commitment, which was first reported by ESPN's Shelley Smith, has happened in college basketball previously, but is unprecedented for college football where it's harder to project how a player as young as Sills will develop physically. Clarkson says that won't be a problem.

"He's already six feet as a 13-year old," Clarkson said. "And he's breaking down NFL footage."

Clarkson said the scholarship offer emerged after he called Kiffin to discuss a quarterback recruit for next year's class.

Clarkson said that Kiffin asked him his opinion of the recruit and Clarkson said, "You might call me crazy, but you've known me a long time, right? And when I said if there was going to be a LeBron James of football it'd be Jimmy Clausen that turned out to be a pretty good prediction.

"And when I said Matt Barkley had the potential to be as good as Jimmy, he ended up winning Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior and starting at USC as a freshman, right?

"Well, I've got a kid now who is better than all of them and he's in Delaware. You gotta take a look at him."

Clarkson then directed Kiffin to a video of Sills that has slowly making the rounds on YouTube.

Kiffin watched it and called him back immediately.

"He was like, 'This kid is incredible. How old is he again?'

"I was like, 'That's the problem, he's 13.' "

A couple of hours later, the Sills family called Kiffin and they spoke for the first time. USC had always been Sills' dream school, according to his father, David Sills IV.

"I'm as shocked as anybody," Sillis' father said. "I was just talking with friends yesterday about what it'll be like four years from now when David goes through the recruiting process. I never expected this to happen so soon.

"But David's always wanted to go to USC. I mean, is there a better place to play football in the country? How can you pass up the best offer you're ever going to get?"

The younger Sills, who is an eighth-grader at Red Lion Christian Academy in Bear County, has been training with Clarkson for three years. They meet about once every six weeks at various locations around the country. Sometimes in California, where Clarkson is based. Sometimes in Delaware. And sometimes somewhere in the middle, if Clarkson is conducting a clinic.

"Steve and David hit it off immediately," David Sills IV said. "If there's ever anything David is doing wrong, Steve can fix it in like 10 minutes."

Still, 2014 is a long time from now. A lot can change.

"Well, we're going to be out to California in a few weeks and we'll meet Lane then," Sills' father said. "We're excited to meet him. And we're excited to verbally commit. Hopefully it all works out in the future."

Ramona Shelburne is a reporter and columnist for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsFanSam
    A Message to those who think McCollum's too old:
    by RamsFanSam
    Linebacker, 59, to Play College Ball

Email this Story

Aug 22, 4:40 PM (ET)

By JAIME ARON

ALPINE, Texas (AP) - Mike Flynt was drinking beer and swapping stories with some old football buddies a few months ago when he brought up the biggest regret of his life: Getting kicked off the college team before his senior year.

So, one of his pals said, why not do something about it?

Most 59-year-olds would have laughed. Flynt's only concern was if he was eligible.

Finding out he was, Flynt returned to Sul Ross State this month, 37 years after he left and six years before he goes on Medicare. His comeback peaked Wednesday with the coach saying he's made the Division III team's roster. He could be in action as soon as Sept. 1.

Flynt is giving new meaning to being a college senior. After all, he's a grandfather and a card-carrying member of AARP. He's eight years older than his coach and has two kids older than any of his teammates.

"I think it was Carl Yastrzemski who used to say, 'How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?' I'd be in my late 20s or early 30s, because that's how I feel," said Flynt, who has made a living out of physical fitness. "That's been my approach to this whole thing. I feel that good. I'm just going to find out if I can perform and make a contribution to the team."

A longtime strength and conditioning coach at Nebraska, Oregon and Texas A&M, he's spent the last several years selling the Powerbase training system he invented. Clients include school systems and the military. His colorful life story includes being the son of a Battle of the Bulge survivor and having dabbled in gold mines and oil wells - successfully.

Flynt's life was supposed to be slowing down this fall. With his youngest child starting at the University of Tennessee, he and Eileen, his wife of 35 years, are planning to take advantage of being empty-nesters for the first time.

Instead, they've moved to this remote patch of West Texas so Flynt can mend an old wound and, he hopes, inspire others.

He became emotional discussing his goal of "helping a bunch of young men to make up for those guys that I let down." Then he laughed about the reality that fellow Baby Boomers are getting the most out of his comeback.

"People are kind of in awe. They keep comparing me to themselves and where they are physically," he said. "If I can help anyone out by what I'm doing, then it's all worth it."

Flynt's position is still being determined, but he used to play linebacker. Wherever he lines up, he'll likely become the oldest player in college football history. Neither the NCAA or NAIA keeps such a statistic, but research hasn't turned up anyone older than...
    -08-22-2007, 04:50 PM
  • Nick
    One of the greatest quaterback prospects ever... just turned 11?
    by Nick
    The future is now
    Pre-teen prodigy at quarterback growing up fast
    Posted: Saturday September 29, 2007 1:56AM;
    Updated: Sunday September 30, 2007 3:20AM

David Sills is being hailed as one of the greatest quarterback prospects ever.

If you haven't heard of him yet, it's understandable. He just turned 11.

"I know he's young but there's always an exception. He's the exception," says Steve Clarkson, who runs the Air 7 Quarterback University, a national camp for quarterbacks. "By no means would I recommend this for ten-year olds, but he's a special case."

Sills isn't hard to spot on a crowded football field, filled with top high school prospects.

"He's the little one slinging passes to guys twice his size," says a family friend sitting in the bleachers, pointing at the pint-sized quarterback.

While Sills may be shortest and youngest player on the field, he isn't intimidated by the players around him. He licks his fingers and barks out instructions at the line of scrimmage before lofting a perfectly placed pass in the corner of the end zone.

"This kid is on his way to being the greatest high school recruited quarterback ever," says Clarkson, who has been training Sills for the past two years. "He is really going to be something special."

Clarkson should know. He has been tutoring quarterbacks for over 20 years and his private roster of clients include Matt Leinart, Ben Roethlisberger, J.P. Losman and Jimmy Clausen, who entered Notre Dame this fall as one of the most hyped quarterback prospects in recent memory.

"Physically, you can't even compare him with anyone else his age," says Clarkson. "Mentally, he's probably right in the middle of where a high school kid is. A lot of times when we're in our big group lessons, he's leading the exercise. He's giving guys direction."

Sills, who is in the fifth grade, showed off his football acumen during one of Clarkson's camps in Pittsburgh this summer when he got up in front of a room of 300 and began diagramming plays.

"It was an amazing sight to see," says Clarkson. "I'm sure some people were like, 'That smart Alec kid,' but there's no place where he's gone where he wasn't the talk of the camp."

Clarkson will usually fly from his home in Pasadena to tutor Sills at his home in Wilmington, Delaware about twice a month and Sills will travel to Clarkson whenever he is holding a camp. He has attended seven this year alone in cities ranging from Pittsburgh, Chicago and Seattle to Piscataway, Danbury and San Marino.

"They treat me the same," says Sills of his high school teammates at the camp. "They treat me just like I'm a regular kid playing football. They don't really talk about [my...
    -10-06-2007, 04:11 PM
  • Nick
    Pete Carroll back in the NFL?
    by Nick
    Does winning get old?
    Colleagues: Carroll will try NFL again
    By Scott Wolf
    Staff Writer

With a 17-game winning streak and victories in 28 of the past 29 games, it's difficult to see any problems in USC coach Pete Carroll's world.
    The No. 1-ranked Trojans are winning with a frequency not seen since the glory years of the 1960s and '70s as they charge toward a possible trip to the Orange Bowl and a national championship.

"Winning is so much fun," Carroll said. "It's awesome to figure out how to keep it going. I think it's possible to keep it going."

Can winning become too easy? Can a coach bred in the NFL, where parity is the norm, be content winning week after week against the Washington States and Oregon States of the college world?

"I think he's going to get bored," said a close associate, who asked to not be identified. "It's not enough of a challenge for him."

Another friend -- Washington Redskins secondary coach Dwayne Walker, who spent a year with Carroll at USC -- said he wouldn't be surprised if Carroll returned to "the league," as those who work in the NFL call it.

"I know he enjoys what he's doing," Walker said. "He's doing and (has) done everything he set out to do at USC. Knowing Pete like I do, he would be one of the top coaches in the NFL. I still think there's a little bit left in him that wants to prove critics wrong, and try to come back and do in the NFL what he did in college."

Carroll disputes the idea that success breeds contempt, and he's too cagey to admit winning is too easy. But he doesn't argue that winning in the NFL is more difficult than in college football.

"The competition is more even in the NFL," he said. "I think it's an extraordinary accomplishment what the Patriots did, winning 21 straight games. Sometimes the NFL is harder."

USC assistant coach Todd McNair, who spent the past three seasons with the Cleveland Browns, is more emphatic about the contrast.

"(College football) is nowhere near as complex as the NFL," McNair said. "In the NFL, if a protection works one week, it won't work the next week."

For the ultracompetitive Carroll, it might reason that coaching at "the highest level" is vitally important, but he said college teams still impress him when he's watching game film -- most recently Boise State, which he observed while scouting Oregon State, this week's opponent.

"Boise State runs more formations than anyone I've seen," he said. "There's a whole wide range of offenses to face in college. In the NFL, they're sophisticated in a whole different manner. Everyone runs the same offense, but you've got more variants. They tweak more in the NFL."

Carroll...
    -11-11-2004, 08:18 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Spurrier excited about SEC revival with Gamecocks
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 28, 2005
    By Dennis Dodd
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Dennis your opinion!

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- You really can't believe he's 60. On a random offseason weekday, Steve Spurrier is bounding around his office like a kid in Toys R Us.

South Carolina fans hope Steve Spurrier can do for them what he did for Florida. (Getty Images)
    "Have you seen Cocky?" Spurrier says, flipping on the switch of a two-foot replica of the South Carolina mascot that begins dancing across a ledge.

"I was lucky on the hair genes," he remarks after a reference to his perfectly coifed hair helmet that looks like it has been preserved since he won the Heisman in 1966 -- as a dashing senior.

You simply can't believe he's 60. A doctor checked Spurrier's heart last year during his year off from football. It looked better than in 2003, his last year with the Washington Redskins. What was he doing different? Relaxing. Well, that and a new interest in the StairMaster.

"It gets you huffin' and puffin'," says the smiling man who used to eat quarterbacks for lunch, even when they followed instructions.

Lunch was served again in the spring. Spurrier, you see, reads everything. Not many people know that about him. Newspapers, TV, Internet. He likes to keep track of the condition of the program.

After a scrimmage, quarterbacks Blake Mitchell and Antonio Heffner were asked how they thought they did. "Pretty good," they were basically quoted as saying.

"You call that, 'pretty good?'" he shot back next time the three came together.

Spurrier sat down his quarterbacks and showed them a film of Florida's 54-17 victory at South Carolina in 2001. Rex Grossman threw for 302 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. The Gators scored the last 44 points of the game.

"It was a game we never punted," Spurrier said. "Now that's pretty good, not hitting one out of three. You guys have to understand what playing well means."

This is the Spur Dog in full. At an age when a lot of men are counting the days to retirement, Spurrier is counting the days toward the opener in his new job.

"Sometimes as a young coach in your 30s, you're trying to act like you're 45," Spurrier said. "When you get to be above 60 or so, you want to act like you're 45. Health-wise I feel like I can do more than I did at 45. Hopefully my mind is still as good as it was then.

"I think it is."

Consider that a warning shot. The college football world is on the edge of its cleats, waiting for The Tao of Steve to return to the game. That opener against Central Florida is now three days away. National television is moving...
    -08-29-2005, 05:07 PM
  • Nick
    Taaffe: Lynch may have stronger arm than Bortles
    by Nick
    Taaffe: Lynch may have stronger arm than Bortles

Charlie Taaffe used to be the offensive coordinator at Central Florida, where he coached current Jacksonville Jaguar Blake Bortles. Taaffe is now the man who happens to be training future first-round pick Paxton Lynch in anticipation for the 2016 NFL Draft.

On Wednesday morning, Taaffe was nice enough to join us on 92.9 FM ESPN. Here were the three most interesting parts of our conversation.

1.) Once upon a time, Taaffe tried (and failed) to flip Lynch from his commitment to Memphis. Central Florida their quarterback commitment Jonathan Wallace to Auburn on Signing Day and Taaffe, then the Knights’ offensive coordinator, made a last-ditch phone call to Lynch.

Lynch, a Florida native, was coming off his visit to Memphis and had just committed.

“He said, ‘Coach, I appreciate the call, but I committed and I’m gonna stick to my commitment,’” Taaffe said.

Funny how things so often circle back to one another in sports. Taaffe retired after the 2014 season and now helps run Quarterback Country - Orlando, where he’s training the likely first-round draft pick he passed on nearly four years ago.

“When I interviewed for this gig (to train Lynch pre-draft), I said, ‘Paxton, I really appreciate you giving me a second chance to recruit you,” he said. “If Paxton would’ve come to UCF, I might still be coaching.”

2.) Much has been made about Paxton Lynch’s release and his elongated delivery on his throws, but Taaffe said the biggest thing he’ll need to work on in his preparation for the next level is working under center and checking plays at the line of scrimmage. Under Justin Fuente, Lynch worked almost exclusively out of the shotgun and when he did call an audible, he did so with instruction from the sidelines.

“He needs to have a keen understanding of defenses and defensive structures,” Taaffe said. “At Memphis, and like many of these spread offenses, the quarterback starts his cadence, stops in the middle of it, and then looks over to the sideline and the coach signals in the play to run. They don’t do that on Sundays.”

3.) Naturally, Taaffe compared Lynch to Bortles. They were both lightly recruited, they both played in a less-prominent conference, and they’re both big-bodied quarterbacks. Though Taaffe said Bortles had a bit of an advantage going into the draft because he played under center some at UCF, he acknowledged Lynch might actually have a better arm.

“Paxton may have a little more velocity on the ball than Blake,” Taaffe said. “I thought Blake had a strong arm, but Paxton, from what I’ve seen in two sessions, it’s just exceptional.”
    -01-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Working...
X