X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Callahan says shoddy treatment by OU fans sparked outburst

Nov. 15, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said his profane outburst directed at Oklahoma fans was prompted by a group of student hecklers who were allowed to get close to his players during warmups and fans throwing oranges on the field.

Advertisement

As he walked toward the Nebraska locker room after a 30-3 loss Saturday night, Callahan looked into the stands and called Sooners fans "hillbillies," while using an expletive.

"I'm an emotional guy, and I'm a competitive coach, and on the field I stick up for my players," Callahan said Monday on the Big 12 coaches teleconference. "I don't think any team should be subjected to the type of treatment we were subjected to in that particular contest."

Some of Callahan's complaints were directed at The Ruf/Neks, an Oklahoma student spirit group that positions itself near one of the end zones. The students shoot pop guns and heckle opposing teams. Callahan said it's a dangerous environment because of the proximity of the students to the opposing players.

University of Oklahoma police were investigating an incident involving a member of The Ruf/Neks and a Nebraska player. The Oklahoma student was sent to the hospital with injuries to his face after what Nebraska officials called a collision with a player.

The oranges were tossed because Oklahoma has hopes of playing for the national championship in the Orange Bowl.

Callahan said he snapped as he walked off the field.

"I probably could have used a better choice of words, but I am distressed when people are shooting off guns and throwing fruit at our players," Callahan said. "I just have a hard time with that. It's a part of the game, I guess. I'm trying to learn this the best I can. But I think it's out of control."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
    Stanford, band to discuss possible sanctions
    by DJRamFan
    Sept. 13, 2004

STANFORD, Calif. -- Stanford athletic director Ted Leland apologized Monday to Brigham Young and the university's fans for a halftime show by the Cardinal band that poked fun at polygamy with five dancers wearing wedding veils.

Stanford beat BYU 37-10 Saturday at Stanford Stadium.

Leland said he would meet with the band to discuss possible sanctions.

"The actions of the Stanford band in Saturday's game were inappropriate, and I wish to apologize to BYU, their team, fans and alumni," Leland said. "We are committed to being good hosts to our opponents who visit Stanford and anything that doesn't reflect this is regrettable."

AP NEWS

-09-14-2004, 07:35 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Big 12 fines Kansas coach $5,000 for postgame comments
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 18, 2004

Kansas coach Mark Mangino was reprimanded and fined $5,000 by the Big 12 on Wednesday for suggesting that officials deliberately tried to influence the outcome of his team's game against Texas.

Advertisement

"Coach Mangino's public statements called into question the integrity of the conference and its officials," Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg said in a statement. "To insinuate that games are called unfairly so that one member institution can prevail over another is irresponsible and completely baseless."

Most of the Big 12 coaches can empathize with Mangino since just about every one of them has had complaints about officiating. But while they don't blame Mangino for venting about what he thought was a blown call, most agree with the conference policy that prohibits coaches from criticizing officials.

"I think we all have to understand we're in this together," Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione said. "It's not going to be a perfect situation and sometimes it can be very frustrating when you feel a call could have gone different than it did. But I really think our conference has a cooperative effort to do the best they can."

After Kansas' last-second 27-23 loss to Texas on Saturday, Mangino said the officials deliberately tried to the influence the game, implying it would work out better for the BCS if the Longhorns won.

Mark Mangino is assessed a hefty fine for criticizing officials.(Getty Images)
    The coach took issue with a pass interference call against Charles Gordon that forced the Jayhawks to punt with 2 minutes left. Texas got the ball back and drove for the winning score, saving its chances for a BCS bowl bid and a potential $12 million to $14 million windfall for the conference.

Mangino backed off his comments the day after the game and reiterated his position on Monday.

"I feel like if you make a mistake, you have be man enough to get it corrected, and I felt like that's what I needed to do," Mangino said. "I'm not going to make any excuse. It was inexcusable."

Colorado coach Gary Barnett said he believes coaches should treat the officials just like they would their players.

"When you coach your team and you lose a game and somebody makes a bonehead play, the first thing you do is you don't point fingers. Guys make mistakes and there are plenty of plays during a game that could make a difference," Barnett said. "I think we should do it the same way (with the officials)."

AP NEWS

-11-18-2004, 01:44 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Six Game**** players charged with theft after bowl snub
    by DJRamFan
    Jan. 20, 2005

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Six current and former South Carolina football players were charged Thursday with stealing $18,000 worth of equipment from Williams-Brice Stadium last November.

Advertisement

The university said laptop computers, video equipment and framed photographs were stolen from the South Carolina locker room area Nov. 22, shortly after the Game****s were told they would not go to a bowl as punishment for an on-field brawl with Clemson.

"Regrettably, a few of our student-athletes made a very poor decision during the course of a frustrating situation, and they must now face the consequences," athletic director Mike McGee said.

Offensive lineman Woody Telfort was charged with grand larceny, a felony. He was accused of stealing more than $1,000 in equipment.

Quarterbacks Syvelle Newton and Dondrial Pinkins have been charged with petit larceny, a misdemeanor, along with defensive lineman Freddy Saint-Preux and former safety Rodriques Wilson.

A warrant is pending for a sixth player the school did not identify.

Telephone calls placed to four of the players were not answered; one player was not listed. They were expected to be arraigned in Richland County bond court Thursday evening.

New coach Steve Spurrier said he will support the decisions of campus police and prosecutors as the case moves forward.

"Hopefully we'll never have a situation like this happen again," Spurrier said.

AP NEWS

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -01-21-2005, 03:31 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Michigan St. receivers arrested for allegedly planting bombs
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 10, 2004

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Two Michigan State football players were arrested and charged with possessing a dangerous chemical compound after they allegedly planted homemade bombs that blew up outside campus apartments.

Advertisement

Terry Love and Irving Campbell, both 19-year-old redshirt freshmen receivers, were arrested Tuesday morning as they left the scene of the first explosion, campus police said. A second bomb exploded shortly afterward, and a third was detonated by the campus police bomb squad.

The men said they planted the bombs in Spartan Village as a prank, campus police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

No one was hurt and there was no property damage, McGlothian-Taylor said. The players were released on $500 bond after being arraigned Tuesday.

If convicted of the misdemeanor, both could face up to 90 days in jail and a $100 fine, McGlothian-Taylor said.

Coach John L. Smith will let the legal process play out and then decide if any disciplinary action is needed, assistant athletic director John Lewandowski said.

Love has 19 catches for 208 yards and a touchdown this season. Campbell has not caught a pass.

AP NEWS

-11-11-2004, 11:10 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Texas Tech safety to play despite alleged probation violation
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 24, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech starting safety Vincent Meeks could face up to two years in jail and a $10,000 fine after he allegedly violated his probation on a forgery charge.

Advertisement

Meeks' legal entanglement will not keep him from playing for the Red Raiders, Tech coach Mike Leach said.

"Vincent made some bad decisions on his part and was also a victim of some bad circumstances created by other people," Leach said in Wednesday's editions of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. "Team-wise, he's fine."

Meeks, a senior, has made 27 career starts since he cracked the lineup in the ninth game of his freshman season.

He is accused of violating terms of his three-year probation on a charge of forgery of a financial instrument, Rockwall County District Attorney Ray Sumrow said Wednesday. Meeks failed to report to a probation officer for several months, didn't pay court costs and failed to complete community service and other programs, Sumrow said.

Meeks was accused of trying to cash a $475 illegal computer-generated check in 2003 that was made out to him, Sumrow said. He pleaded guilty but was not convicted because the court gave him deferred adjudication, Sumrow said. If he had completed his probation without any incidents, the charge would have been removed from his record.

Meeks surrendered himself Tuesday on an arrest warrant issued Aug. 9 and was arraigned and arrested on the same forgery charge. He was released from the Rockwall County Jail late Tuesday after posting $10,000 bond.

If the court revokes his probation at a hearing not yet scheduled, Meeks could be sentenced to two years in jail and fined $10,000, Sumrow said. The judge also could sentence him to probation.

"I believe that Vincent will live his probation out if he's allowed to do that," said Meeks' attorney, Patrick Short. "If given the opportunity, I believe he will comply."

AP NEWS

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Working...
X