Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SEC, ACC to review tapes of Clemson-South Carolina fight

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SEC, ACC to review tapes of Clemson-South Carolina fight

    Nov. 21, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    CLEMSON, S.C. -- The Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference will review tapes of the fight that broke out in the fourth quarter of the Clemson-South Carolina game before deciding on penalties.

    Advertisement


    SEC commissioner Mike Slive and ACC commissioner John Swofford both issued releases on Sunday. Slive said he expected to have a decision by Monday.

    "There is no place in intercollegiate athletics for this kind of conduct and no excuse for it, rivalries not withstanding," Slive said. "This conduct runs counter to everything we value in athletics and will not be tolerated."

    The Tigers and Game****s had a brief confrontation before Saturday's game and throughout officials had to quell small skirmishes and separate players.

    The brawl broke out with 5:48 to go. It started when Tigers defensive lineman Bobby Williamson took down South Carolina quarterback Syvelle Newton and appeared to linger too long on top of him.

    South Carolina offensive lineman Chris White came to help Newton. White's teammates Na'shan Goddard and Jabari Levey went after Williamson. Tigers Cory Groover, Donnell Clark and Gaines Adams joined in and the chaos began as both sidelines cleared.

    South Carolina's Lou Holtz, coaching his last game with the Game****s, and Clemson coach Tommy Bowden sprinted to the center of the melee to try and break things up. Eventually, security and police officers were needed to restore order.

    Clemson went on the to win the game 29-7.

    Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips said Sunday he was working with the ACC to determine whether players could face discipline.

    Holtz said he would meet with South Carolina athletic director Mike McGee along with other school administrators and take immediate action against those responsible.

    "When players make a decision to run out on the field, there are going to be repercussions from those decisions," Holtz said.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

  • DJRamFan
    South Carolina draws ire of BCA
    by DJRamFan
    Dec 8, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The Black Coaches Association wants prospective football recruits and assistant coaches to stay away from South Carolina because the school ignored the group's recommendation for a more open coaching search.

    Advertisement


    The group's director, Floyd Keith, told the Associated Press on Tuesday that South Carolina never contacted the BCA. The group sent the school search guidelines before Steve Spurrier was hired to replace Lou Holtz last month.

    "There was an announcement and a hire," Keith said. "That was so fast that a jackrabbit couldn't have had a family between all that."

    Three of the five black college coaches -- Notre Dame's Tyrone Willingham, New Mexico State's Tony Samuel and San Jose State's Fitz Hill -- won't be back with their schools next season.

    The BCA first announced its plans regarding South Carolina in The Chronicle of Higher Education.

    South Carolina athletic director Mike McGee said the mission of the BCA is important to college football. However, he said administrators faced a brief time frame to land someone as prominent as Spurrier.

    Keith said South Carolina administrators should have shown the same consideration he's seeing from other schools with openings.

    One athletic director, Keith said, visited his Indianapolis office to discuss its search. University of Mississippi chancellor Robert Khayat has said administrators are working closely with Keith's group as it looks to replace David Cutcliffe.

    Keith said his group hasn't gotten a response from the Game**** athletic department since Spurrier was brought on board.

    "In my opinion and in the opinion of my association, what this says to us is they don't care," Keith said. "We want athletes and parents of color to start taking stock in the process that institutions take in choosing coaches."

    Keith had nothing but praise for Spurrier.

    "It's not about him," Keith said. "This is about the process."

    McGee said in a statement there were "unusual and extraordinary circumstances that we faced" when Holtz decided with several weeks left in the season to step down.

    "We had the opportunity to replace an accomplished and national championship coach with another," McGee said. "The window for that to occur was clearly uncertain. It certainly was not the normal type of coaching transition that an institution faces."

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -12-08-2004, 05:35 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Six Game**** players charged with theft after bowl snub
    by DJRamFan
    Jan. 20, 2005
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Six current and former South Carolina football players were charged Thursday with stealing $18,000 worth of equipment from Williams-Brice Stadium last November.

    Advertisement


    The university said laptop computers, video equipment and framed photographs were stolen from the South Carolina locker room area Nov. 22, shortly after the Game****s were told they would not go to a bowl as punishment for an on-field brawl with Clemson.

    "Regrettably, a few of our student-athletes made a very poor decision during the course of a frustrating situation, and they must now face the consequences," athletic director Mike McGee said.

    Offensive lineman Woody Telfort was charged with grand larceny, a felony. He was accused of stealing more than $1,000 in equipment.

    Quarterbacks Syvelle Newton and Dondrial Pinkins have been charged with petit larceny, a misdemeanor, along with defensive lineman Freddy Saint-Preux and former safety Rodriques Wilson.

    A warrant is pending for a sixth player the school did not identify.

    Telephone calls placed to four of the players were not answered; one player was not listed. They were expected to be arraigned in Richland County bond court Thursday evening.

    New coach Steve Spurrier said he will support the decisions of campus police and prosecutors as the case moves forward.

    "Hopefully we'll never have a situation like this happen again," Spurrier said.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -01-21-2005, 02:31 PM
  • DJRamFan
    UNLV's Dodd-Masters suspended for punching Wyoming player
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 11, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- UNLV cornerback Ruschard Dodd-Masters was suspended for one game by the Mountain West Conference for throwing a punch at a Wyoming player.

    MWC commissioner Craig Thompson called the hit a "potentially dangerous nonfootball act that clearly fell under the definition of 'physical abuse.'"

    Wyoming wide receiver Josh Barge was hit in the throat. He missed several plays but returned to the game.

    Dodd-Masters will miss Saturday's game when UNLV (2-7, 1-4) plays at Colorado State (3-6, 2-3).

    The hit came near the end of a play in the third quarter of Wyoming's 53-45 triple-overtime road victory last Saturday. UNLV was assessed a 15-yard penalty.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -11-11-2004, 10:09 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Charges won't prevent Thompson from playing at Grambling State
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 5, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports




    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Former South Carolina defensive lineman Moe Thompson, who is facing burglary charges, was granted permission Friday by a judge to continue his college football career at Grambling State.

    Advertisement


    Thompson had been under electronic monitoring and house arrest since his arrest this past March. Soon after, new Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier kicked Thompson off the team.

    Thompson's attorney, Hemphill Pride, brought a motion asking that the 21-year-old have his bond conditions changed to allow him to leave the state to play his senior season at the Division I-AA school in Louisiana. He showed Barber a letter from Grambling State coach Melvin Spears offering Thompson a scholarship.

    Circuit Judge James Barber agreed to let Thompson play.

    "Since he's been on bond, his behavior has indicated he has not gotten himself in trouble," Barber said.

    Barber ordered that Thompson can travel between South Carolina and Louisiana, and go on road trips but only with the Tigers football team. Thompson also must check in with authorities by phone once a week.

    A hearing is scheduled for Sept. 1 at which Thompson is to decide on a plea and whether he wants a jury trial. He is not required to attend that hearing in person.

    Thompson faces from 15 years to life if convicted of the charges, deputy prosecutor John Meadors said.

    In February, Thompson was suspended when he was charged in an early morning break-in at a campus dorm. Freshman tackle Kevin Mainord also was charged.

    Police say Thompson and Mainord broke into at least one dorm room and took several items, including a television and DVD player.

    Thompson was a dominant defender for South Carolina at times. He made the all-SEC freshman team in 2002. The next season he tied for the team lead with five sacks. He started 11 games last season but made only 28 tackles.

    By transferring from a Division I-A school to a Division I-AA, Thompson will be able to play immediately for Grambling. NCAA rules require players sit out a year when they transfer within Division I-A.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-08-2005, 06:22 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Spurrier peeves prep coaches by yanking six scholarships
    by DJRamFan
    July 29, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports




    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier upset high school coaches in his new homestate when he revoked the scholarships of six players recruited by his predecessor.

    Advertisement





    The South Carolina Football Coaches Association's Board of Directors called the move "unethical" in a letter to Spurrier on Wednesday.

    "We understand athletic scholarships are a year commitment," according to the board's letter. "However, we feel that unless an athlete 'breaks rules' or embarrasses the institution, to revoke a scholarship because you feel an athlete cannot play at the level needed to compete in the Southeastern Conference is unethical."

    The board's letter, signed by about 90 coaches, also recommended the South Carolina High School League find an alternate location for its five state championship games, scheduled to be played at South Carolina's Williams-Brice Stadium in December.


    Steve Spurrier inherits a South Carolina squad that went 6-5 last season. (AP)
    Earlier this summer, Spurrier sent letters to six players telling them they would lose their scholarships. Those affected included South Carolina high school products Grayson Mullins and Trent Usher, both recruited by the staffs of former coach Lou Holtz.

    Scholarships are renewable each year.

    "If coming out of spring practice, you make that decision that's one thing," SCFCA board member Andy Tweito, an assistant coach at Daniel High, said Thursday. "Now, these kids are stranded, they have nowhere to go. He's left the kids high and dry."

    Spurrier says there are a few players signed by the old staff who new coaches did not think contributed much to the team.

    "We had some walk-on players who were actually contributing more," Spurrier said at the Southeastern Conference football gathering in Birmingham, Ala. "So some of the high schoolers, they got mad about it. I don't know what to say, but to me in life you put people on scholarship who deserve it the most and that's what we tried to do."

    Spurrier last week said receiver Michael Flint and long-snapper Ike Crofoot, both walk-ons, were rewarded with scholarships.

    Spurrier's arrival as Holtz's replacement has been greeted with glee by most South Carolina supporters. The school said Thursday it sold a record of 62,618 seasons tickets. Donations to the Gamecock Club were up more than $1 million from last year to a record of $13 million.

    Tweito said the high school coaches were not trying to pick a fight with Spurrier or sour future recruits on the Gamecocks; they were just making their case in one of the few ways they...
    -07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Working...
X