College football now has a playoff!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College football now has a playoff!

The BCS Presidential Oversight Committee has approved a deal for a four-team college football playoff. Breaking on SportsCenter right now.

Re: College football now has a playoff!

'bout friggin' time.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I think it will help, but I'm really not overly excited about it. The playoff will clear up some of the drama that comes with teams getting picked for the championship game, but now the 5th ranked team will complain just as much as the 3rd team has for the past 14 years. In my mind this was clearly just a money grubbing attempt, the presidents practically came out said that it wasn't going to pass until 5 BILLION dollars came into play. But, this will add some more excitement to the season which is a great thing for any football fan.

Comment

the 5th ranked team will complain just as much as the 3rd team has for the past 14 years.
        The difference being that there's never been a #5 team that made a strong case to be in the national championship. But there have been #3's just missing out on the big game.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Barry Waller
          Playoff Game One: Old School Football
          Barry Waller
          So there you have the first game, two veteran coaches, teams playing mostly mistake free, playoff style football, and players making plays to win.

How quiet did that seem, no raving coaches, no trash talking start to finish, no micking TD celebrations, nothing but old time class that has been the NFL trademark.

Now we get to cotrast that to the circus that's going on tonight, where they have coaches that encourage mouthy attitude and semi illegal, or even really illegal play to win.

It's fitting that it's set in a stadium designed to be an advantage, to cause more noise to hit the field from the same number of screaming fans as any stadium, all to gain home field advantage. A trick of achitecture if you will.

At least with all that din, you can't hear what those loutish Seahawk and Niner players are saying after every sungle play.

It disgusts me, and i hope the flags start flying early and often to stifle the nonsense before it festers.

Some attitude after a big sack or pick is one thing, but doing it after a five yard reception or a tackle for a three yard gain gets old really quick.

On the field, during plays, it's gonna be great to watch stuff, but as soon a sthe whistle goes, these fools ruin it by yapping endlessly, and worse.
          -01-19-2014, 04:07 PM
        • tomahawk247
          Am i the only one that thinks it may be better to not make the playoffs?
          tomahawk247
          I would love to win the division, and would love to get to the playoffs. But this team isnt ready for it. Not at all.

At the moment the Rams are heading to the playoffs more due to the fact that the rest of the teams in the NFC West have regressed or played awful.

In a normal year, in a normal division, the Rams would be bottom or third. This team just isnt playoff calibre.

I don't know anyone who has watched this team, especially in recent weeks, could think otherwise.

Despite this, it would be some feat to win an NFL division with a terrible WR corps, one where the leading receiver has the least yards per catch in NFL history for anyone catching over 60 balls.

I love this team, but they arent ready for the playoffs.
          -12-21-2010, 06:38 AM
        • DJRamFan
          BCS proposal
          DJRamFan
          OK, here's what i would do...

All conference champions in ALL conferences - strong and weak (this way in a few years MAYBE we could get some parity here too) - would be put into a playoff system. Seedings would be based on the current BCS system. Now, as far as the bowl games. Each game in each round would be given a bowl designation with the later bowl games being the "bigger" and more lucrative bowls. The rest of the teams would enter into the other bowl games, also based on the BCS system. This way, if you win your conference, you're guaranteed a chance at the title. If you don't , you don't, that simple.

That's my plan...let the criticism fly...
          -12-18-2001, 10:16 AM
        • letsgoramz
          Rams playoff chances
          letsgoramz
          i would like to know what everyone thinks about the rams playoff chances i know we must go 10 and 6 to have a slim chance
          -11-29-2005, 06:26 PM
        • OldRamsfan
          Another tid bit of NFL history
          OldRamsfan
          I Know most of you know this ... This for those who dont or have never seen it before ... Please enjoy , Its just another tid bit of history...
          The date was November 12, 1892, a day that would forever be etched in sports history, although no one involved that day could possibly have recognized the importance of the occasion. It was the day that the Allegheny Athletic Association football team defeated the Pittsburgh Athletic Club. The game in itself was not a momentous event. But one of the circumstances of the game did make it a never-to-be-forgotten moment in sports history one of the AAA players, William (Pudge) Heffelfinger, was openly paid $500 to play the game. Thus pro football made its debut more than 100 years ago in comparatively obscure surroundings that could not possibly have provided the slightest clue to the world-wide popularity the sport would be destined to enjoy, particularly in the waning decades of pro football's first century.

William (Pudge) Heffelfinger, the first professional football player
          While the PAC had suspected something illegal was afoot, there was no immediate evidence to back up its belief that the AAA had abandoned the standard practices of the day by actually paying someone to play football. Absolute verification, in fact, did not become public for almost 80 years until the Pro Football Hall of Fame received and displayed a document an expense accounting sheet of the Allegheny Athletic Association that clearly shows a "game performance bonus to W. Heffelfinger for playing (cash) $500. While it is possible that others were paid to play before 1892, the AAA expense sheet provides the first irrefutable evidence of an out-and-out cash payment. It is appropriately referred to today as "pro football's birth certificate."

The sport of American football itself was relatively new in 1892. Its roots stemmed from two sports, soccer and rugby, which had enjoyed long-time popularity in many nations of the world. On November 6, 1869, Rutgers and Princeton played what was billed as the first college football game. However, it wasn't until the 1880s that a great rugby player from Yale, Walter Camp, pioneered rules changes that slowly transformed rugby into the new game of American Football.

Meanwhile, athletic clubs that sponsored a great variety of sports teams became a popular phenomenon in the United States in the years immediately after the Civil War. One of the sports the athletic club embraced was football.

By the 1880s, most athletic clubs had a football team. Competition was heated and each club vowed to stock its teams with the best players available. Toward this end, some clubs obtained jobs for star players. Others "awarded" expensive trophies or watches to their players, who would in turn pawn their awards, only to receive them again and again after each game they played. A popular practice was...
          -06-07-2006, 10:10 AM
        Working...
        X