Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching Johnny Football Dismantle the Swooners....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Watching Johnny Football Dismantle the Swooners....

The Vikes started a new hybrid QB and he lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambos View Post
      The Vikes started a new hybrid QB and he lost.
      Yes, but the difference is:

1) Joe Webb is strictly an athlete, and he CANT throw (Tebow anyone?)
      2) Webb is NOT smart
      3) He's not even close to as talented as Johnny Football

Comparing Webb to Manziel is foolish.

And mind you, Webb hasn't thrown 1 pass ALL year and he didn't even get to practice with the #1's this week, and to top all of that off he has the WORST WR corps in all of football.

Comment

Not to mention the fact that he was facing The Pack. Not a fair fight IMHO.

Comment

Your points are well taken, and I agree that neither Kapernick, Wilson, nor RGIII have enough of a body of work to tell us how they'll do in the NFL short or long term, but they're certainly fun to watch, which is why I'm looking foward to tonight's game. I dislike the Seahags and their fans who are rumoured to be boorish and even nasty to visiting fans. And, I'm not looking forward to their coach imitating a Seahag cheerleader in the sideline. Didn't one of the Harbaugh boys (Jim I believe) almost get his clock cleaned for his cheerleading antics after winning his first game? So, I'm rooting for RGIII.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
            Yes, but the difference is:

1) Joe Webb is strictly an athlete, and he CANT throw (Tebow anyone?)
            2) Webb is NOT smart
            3) He's not even close to as talented as Johnny Football

Comparing Webb to Manziel is foolish.

And mind you, Webb hasn't thrown 1 pass ALL year and he didn't even get to practice with the #1's this week, and to top all of that off he has the WORST WR corps in all of football.
            Everything you said about Webb maybe true I just don't know that much about him. But he is what he is and he is a hybrid QB. I did not say he was any good, just said he lost. Also not every pocket QB is very good. I'm not comparing anybody to Johnny Football. I'm focused on the argument that we will see the take over of the hybrid QB. Not going to happen.

I thought we have the worst WR in football

Comment

Everything you said about Webb maybe true I just don't know that much about him. But he is what he is and he is a hybrid QB. I did not say he was any good, just said he lost. Also not every pocket QB is very good. I'm not comparing anybody to Johnny Football. I'm focused on the argument that we will see the take over of the hybrid QB. Not going to happen.

Yeah I doubt hybrid QB's take over football, though there is and will be an influx. And no, I'd MUCH rather have Givens and Amendola over Michael Jenkins and Jerome Simpson.. (At least they are the worst without Harvin).

Comment

Again, I really appreciate your points, and the fact that you've caught on to the 'smiley face' craze. BTW A. Luck just ran for a 1stD, although he looks about 7' tall and 500lbs so he's a load to bring down, albeit not fleet of foot.

I just ask myself who would I rather have QBing the Rams and Johnny Football, RGIII, and Kapernik (I'm not a huge Wilson fan) or one of their clones would do nicely if we need them in the future. I truly hope we don't.
                :8
                BTW I'm practicing my smiley facing, which is kinda like texting or tweeting.

Comment

I'll still take a pocket passer like P.Manning, Brady or Ryan to win the Super Bowl over any of the run option QBs.

Comment

You know I'll be honest I have never watched this Manziel until now on highlights on youtube. He is quite impressive! But here is the thing, those LB's/CB/Safeties in the NFL are going to be faster/stronger/more athletic he isn't going to be able to get away from them all the time like he does in college and when the do catch him they are going to make him pay. It only takes one time. Running QB's are exciting and do add another dimension that is hard to cover but that comes with a price if they aren't smart like a Brett Favre on being more of a pocket passer first, running the ball as a secondary option/last resort. How do you think Brett got the Iron Man award? he was mobile enough and not just a statue. That all being said I REALLY enjoy watching mobile QB's more and will follow this Manziel next year.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                      NFL GM: 2014 QB class not as good as some think
                      by Nick
                      NFL GM: 2014 QB class not as good as some think
                      According to one exec, Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr and Manziel remind him of Ponder, Locker and Gabbert
                      By Jason Cole
                      January 21, 2014, 06:14 PM EST

The 2014 draft may not be as heavy on quarterbacks at the top of the draft as many people have been projecting. According to three general managers who have a serious interest in what happens with the quarterbacks, passers such as Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr and Johnny Manziel may not end up going as quickly as many draftniks have suggested.

And the most damning analysis came Tuesday morning when one of them said: “This group is reminding me a lot of the first round in 2011, except there’s no Cam Newton.”

The 2011 NFL draft featured four quarterbacks being selected in the first round. Newton went No. 1 overall before Jake Locker went No. 8, Blaine Gabbert at 10 and Christian Ponder at 12. All three of those players have flopped after only three years in the league. Their teams (Minnesota, Tennessee and Jacksonville) are all looking to draft quarterbacks again this year.

In hindsight, all of the general managers questioned about this draft say that the group in 2011 is proof of the pratfalls of reaching for a player.

“A couple of things happened with that class that I think will make some teams hesitant this year,” one of them said. “First, the desperation to get somebody forced those guys up the board a lot higher. Second, the desperation also forced those team to play those guys before they were ready and before they had talent around them to make it easier.

“You look back at it and say, ‘Be more patient.’”

Will that happen in a league where finding a quarterback is paramount to success? The an-swer is probably not. Starting with Houston at No. 1 overall, Jacksonville at No. 3 and Cleveland at No. 5, there are plenty of teams in need.

Yet, there is some belief that the difference between the quarterbacks perceived to go at the top of the first round and the ones who are likely to be in the second or third round is so small that waiting is wise. Players such as A.J. McCarron, Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger, David Fales and James Garoppolo are expected to be in that group later in the draft.

“The difference between all those guys is about this much,” one of the GMs said, holding his forefinger and thumb about a half-inch apart. “If that’s how you see it, why not wait?”

Furthermore, Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr and Manziel each have their issues. There are con-cerns about Bortles’ accuracy, Bridgewater’s lack of size and quiet personality, Carr’s pocket pres-ence and Manziel’s personality.

Or as one GM put it: “I’m telling you right now, don’t be surprised if those guys start to fall. It’s just like last year at this time when we all thought Geno Smith was going No. 1 overall and then...
                      -01-21-2014, 04:21 PM
                    • AvengerRam_old
                      I'm not saying Johnny Manziel is overhyped, but _________ (finish the joke!)
                      by AvengerRam_old
                      I'm not saying Johnny Manziel is overhyped, but Pro Football Focus has already rated him as the No. 4 QB in the NFL for 2014.
                      -05-05-2014, 12:39 PM
                    • Nick
                      Johnny Manziel cements his status as franchise quarterback
                      by Nick
                      Johnny Manziel cements his status as franchise quarterback
                      By Bucky Brooks
                      NFL Media analyst
                      Published: Jan. 1, 2014 at 12:20 a.m.
                      Updated: Jan. 1, 2014 at 03:20 a.m.

NFL evaluators pay close attention to how well elite prospects perform in bowl games. Executives believe these contests rival the intensity and competitiveness of NFL games, while also creating a big-game atmosphere that allows observers to witness a player under pressure.

While Johnny Manziel has played in a ton of big games in his brief career, I thought it was important to see how well the former Heisman Trophy winner performed in the Chick fil-A Bowl after finishing the regular season with a pair of lackluster games. With a national television audience paying close attention to his every move, Manziel put on an epic performance that cemented his status as one of the top quarterbacks in college football, and a future franchise player at the next level. Watching it up close and personal, here are my thoughts on Manziel's game and it projects in the NFL:

Athleticism
                      Johnny Football took the college football world by storm a season ago by showcasing a sandlot game built on improvisational playmaking. Part of his success stemmed from his exceptional speed, quickness and movement skills. Few quarterbacks in the college game can rival his elusiveness in tight quarters, making him a rare commodity at the position.

Watching Manziel work his magic on the Georgia Dome turf against the Blue Devils, I was blown away by his sudden acceleration and burst. He is quicker than a hiccup in space, with a knack for making defenders miss in the hole. Although he has scaled back on his impromptu runs this season, it's nearly impossible to contain Manziel when he elects to use his legs as a primary weapon.

I must express some concern about his durability based on his diminutive stature and willingness to seek out contact, but I don't believe it will be a major issue because of his combination of instincts and athleticism. He has a knack for avoiding the big shot, which is why he is such a threat when he gets on the perimeter.

Arm talent
                      Questions about Manziel's arm strength and range dominated the discussion in the NFL scouting community during the offseason. Evaluators wondered if Manziel could make big-boy throws from the pocket, particularly the deep out from the opposite hash and the go-route down the boundary.

Watching Manziel pick apart the Blue Devils, there's no doubt in my mind that he can make every throw in the book. He attacked every area of the field with a variety of fastballs and rainbows to open receivers. Additionally, Manziel showed the ability to squeeze the ball into tight windows between the hashes. While those traits are expected of a franchise quarterback, I believe Manziel's unique ability to deliver accurate throws from various throwing platforms separates...
                      -01-01-2014, 07:33 AM
                    • MauiRam
                      Johnny Football ..
                      by MauiRam
                      I am curious as to how high in the draft Johnny Manziel will be selected. Apparently he is going to declare for the draft at the end of his sophmore season. Is this guy for real? Will his skills translate to success at the NFL level? Thoughts ..
                      -10-04-2013, 10:45 AM
                    • Flippin' Ram
                      2014 Rookie QB
                      by Flippin' Ram
                      With Bradford down and Fisher still believing that he's the future QB of the Rams, which prospect are you most interested in?
                      Marcus Mariota, Oregon
                      12.50%
                      Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
                      6.25%
                      Tajh Boyd, Clemson
                      12.50%
                      Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
                      6.25%
                      David Fales, San Jose State
                      12.50%
                      Derek Carr, Fresno State
                      18.75%