Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outgoing Notre Dame president criticizes firing of Willingham

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Outgoing Notre Dame president criticizes firing of Willingham

    Dec 8, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame's outgoing president criticized the decision to fire Tyrone Willingham after just three seasons, saying he was surprised the coach was not given more time to try to succeed.

    Advertisement


    "I'm a good soldier and in times of transition, people can disagree," the Sports Business Daily quoted Rev. Edward Malloy as saying at a sports conference in New York. "I don't think there is a lack of goodwill or that anybody else is to be blamed for a racist decision or anything else. I just think there was a lot of pressure in the works."

    The Sports Business Daily quoted Malloy as saying he was embarrassed by the football coach's firing. His remarks came at a forum on intercollegiate athletics.

    "In my 18 years, there have been only two days that I have been embarrassed to be president of Notre Dame: Tuesday and Wednesday of last week, because I felt we had not abided by our precedent," Malloy was quoted as saying. "It was our (athletic director Kevin White and Malloy) expectation that we would live by our precedent, which was a five-year window for a coach to display the capacity to be successful within our system.

    "Both of us have a very high regard for (Willingham). ... We had a meeting called by my successor (Rev. John Jenkins) with a strong presence of the Board of Trustees, which led to a result," Malloy said.

    University spokesman Matt Storin issued a statement Wednesday saying there was "debate and disagreement" over the firing, and that Malloy deferred because of his pending retirement on June 30.

    Notre Dame reportedly is preparing to meet with Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator and former Irish quarterback Tom Clements about its vacancy.

    Clements, 51, has connections to two of Notre Dame's most successful coaches. He played under Ara Parseghian, leading the 1973 team to a national championship, and was an assistant under Lou Holtz from 1992-95.

    "He has a good football mind, he's a good, solid person, and he's a Notre Dame alum," Holtz told the Associated Press on Wednesday.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

  • DJRamFan
    Kircher, coach at Washington State in '50s, dead at 93
    by DJRamFan
    Dec 8, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    PULLMAN, Wash. -- Al Kircher, the football coach at Washington State for four seasons in the 1950s, died at 93.

    He died Nov. 1 in a nursing home in Salem, Ore., the school's sports information department said.

    Kircher became the Cougars' backfield coach for Forest Evashevski in 1950. When Evashevski left for Iowa after the 1951 season, Kircher was promoted to head coach. In four seasons he was 13-25-2.

    After resigning as coach, Kircher and his family ran a lodge from 1954-75. He retired to Las Vegas in 1978 and moved to Salem in 2004.

    Kircher served in World War II and was wounded during the Normandy invasion. He was awarded a Silver Star and two Bronze Stars.

    He is survived by his wife, Dorothy; a son, Robert; and two daughters, Sharlene and Judy Ann.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -12-08-2004, 06:36 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Nicholls State coach fired amid academic fraud scandal
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 15, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    THIBODAUX, La. -- Nicholls State football coach Daryl Daye was fired Sunday over accusations of academic fraud involving players and an assistant coach.

    Daye was not implicated in the alleged fraud, but an investigation found he failed to "maintain proper controls" of the assistant, the Southland Conference school said.

    "The assistant coach who committed the fraud and the head coach who personally selected the assistant coach ... must be accountable in this situation," athletic director Rob Bernardi said.

    The assistant also will be fired but his name was not immediately released because he had not been notified, university spokesman Michael Delaune said.

    A message left at Daye's home was not immediately returned.

    The investigation found questions involving the assistant's involvement in players' attempts to transfer summer credits from other institutions, Delaune said. He added the investigation is continuing.

    Daye had a 19-36 record in five seasons at Nicholls of Division I-AA. The Colonels finished 5-6 in 2003, third in their conference.



    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-17-2004, 10:58 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Onofrio, former Missouri football coach, dies at 83
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 5, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Al Onofrio, former head football coach at Missouri who also helped design defenses for Dan Devine for more than a decade, has died. He was 83.

    Onofrio died Friday at Desert Samaritan Hospital in Mesa, Ariz., said one of his sons, Mike Onofrio.

    About a week ago, Al Onofrio was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, his son said.

    Onofrio, the Associated Press' Big Eight coach of the year in 1972, led Devine's defenses from 1958-70, during which the Tigers went 93-37-7, won two Big Eight titles and made six bowl appearances.

    When Devine left Missouri to coach the Green Bay Packers in 1971, Onofrio took over and went 38-41 in seven seasons. After going 1-10 in his first year, Onofrio guided the Tigers to the Fiesta Bowl in 1972 and Sun Bowl the next season. In 1973, the Tigers went 8-4 and finishing ranked 17th.

    "This is certainly a sad day for Mizzou," said Mike Alden, the school's athletic director. "Everyone associated with Missouri should be thankful for the time he spent here and how much he meant to the institution by what he brought not only with his football expertise, but also his character."

    Survivors include his wife, Joan, five sons and one daughter.

    Services will be Wednesday at Church of the Resurrection, Tempe. Burial will be Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Mesa, Ariz.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -11-06-2004, 02:12 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Violent behavior behind me, says new Ole Miss coach
    by DJRamFan
    Dec. 17, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    OXFORD, Miss. -- New Mississippi coach Ed Orgeron was charged with repeated domestic violence more than a decade ago when he was an assistant at Miami, according to records obtained Friday by the Associated Press.

    Advertisement


    Background checks were conducted on Orgeron and other candidates, chancellor Robert Khayat said at a news conference introducing Orgeron as the Rebels' coach. Athletic director Pete Boone said school officials are aware of the coach's history.

    "Many years ago coach Orgeron had a very unpleasant experience that involved behavior he is not proud of," Khayat said at Thursday's news conference. "Pete Boone, the athletics committee and I are totally comfortable and confident that coach Orgeron is going to provide the kind of role model that we want for our program."

    Orgeron, hired this week to replace David Cutcliffe at Ole Miss, had a restraining order filed against him by a Dade County, Fla., woman who accused him of repeated violence 13 years ago, said Robert Keen, a supervisor with the Dade County clerk's office.

    The charge of repeat violence was filed on April 10, 1991, and a restraining order was filed the next month, records show. Keen told the AP that records also show Orgeron did not violate that order.


    Ed Orgeron says his past mistakes are 'no longer part of my daily living.' (AP)
    The woman later received a permanent injunction, Keen said, and the court order prohibited him from going to her home or workplace. The injunction was terminated in July 1992, Keen said.

    "All I'm going to say is this: I'm completely comfortable with the steps I've taken to correct the mistakes in my life, and they're no longer part of my daily living," Orgeron said Thursday in Oxford.

    Orgeron also was involved in a 1992 incident in which he reportedly head-butted the manager of a nightclub in Baton Rouge, La., several newspapers reported.

    Felony second-degree battery charges were dropped when the manager settled out of court, according to the Los Angeles Daily News.

    Orgeron was fired at Miami after that incident. He spent a year away from football before resuming his coaching career in 1994 at Nicholls State.

    Orgeron met his wife, Kelly, in 1996. The couple has three children.

    Khayat's secretary said he was out of town Friday, and Boone did not immediately return telephone messages seeking comment.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -12-18-2004, 02:48 PM
  • DJRamFan
    SEC, ACC to review tapes of Clemson-South Carolina fight
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 21, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    CLEMSON, S.C. -- The Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference will review tapes of the fight that broke out in the fourth quarter of the Clemson-South Carolina game before deciding on penalties.

    Advertisement


    SEC commissioner Mike Slive and ACC commissioner John Swofford both issued releases on Sunday. Slive said he expected to have a decision by Monday.

    "There is no place in intercollegiate athletics for this kind of conduct and no excuse for it, rivalries not withstanding," Slive said. "This conduct runs counter to everything we value in athletics and will not be tolerated."

    The Tigers and Game****s had a brief confrontation before Saturday's game and throughout officials had to quell small skirmishes and separate players.

    The brawl broke out with 5:48 to go. It started when Tigers defensive lineman Bobby Williamson took down South Carolina quarterback Syvelle Newton and appeared to linger too long on top of him.

    South Carolina offensive lineman Chris White came to help Newton. White's teammates Na'shan Goddard and Jabari Levey went after Williamson. Tigers Cory Groover, Donnell Clark and Gaines Adams joined in and the chaos began as both sidelines cleared.

    South Carolina's Lou Holtz, coaching his last game with the Game****s, and Clemson coach Tommy Bowden sprinted to the center of the melee to try and break things up. Eventually, security and police officers were needed to restore order.

    Clemson went on the to win the game 29-7.

    Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips said Sunday he was working with the ACC to determine whether players could face discipline.

    Holtz said he would meet with South Carolina athletic director Mike McGee along with other school administrators and take immediate action against those responsible.

    "When players make a decision to run out on the field, there are going to be repercussions from those decisions," Holtz said.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -11-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Working...
X