Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Carolina draws ire of BCA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • South Carolina draws ire of BCA

    Dec 8, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The Black Coaches Association wants prospective football recruits and assistant coaches to stay away from South Carolina because the school ignored the group's recommendation for a more open coaching search.

    Advertisement


    The group's director, Floyd Keith, told the Associated Press on Tuesday that South Carolina never contacted the BCA. The group sent the school search guidelines before Steve Spurrier was hired to replace Lou Holtz last month.

    "There was an announcement and a hire," Keith said. "That was so fast that a jackrabbit couldn't have had a family between all that."

    Three of the five black college coaches -- Notre Dame's Tyrone Willingham, New Mexico State's Tony Samuel and San Jose State's Fitz Hill -- won't be back with their schools next season.

    The BCA first announced its plans regarding South Carolina in The Chronicle of Higher Education.

    South Carolina athletic director Mike McGee said the mission of the BCA is important to college football. However, he said administrators faced a brief time frame to land someone as prominent as Spurrier.

    Keith said South Carolina administrators should have shown the same consideration he's seeing from other schools with openings.

    One athletic director, Keith said, visited his Indianapolis office to discuss its search. University of Mississippi chancellor Robert Khayat has said administrators are working closely with Keith's group as it looks to replace David Cutcliffe.

    Keith said his group hasn't gotten a response from the Game**** athletic department since Spurrier was brought on board.

    "In my opinion and in the opinion of my association, what this says to us is they don't care," Keith said. "We want athletes and parents of color to start taking stock in the process that institutions take in choosing coaches."

    Keith had nothing but praise for Spurrier.

    "It's not about him," Keith said. "This is about the process."

    McGee said in a statement there were "unusual and extraordinary circumstances that we faced" when Holtz decided with several weeks left in the season to step down.

    "We had the opportunity to replace an accomplished and national championship coach with another," McGee said. "The window for that to occur was clearly uncertain. It certainly was not the normal type of coaching transition that an institution faces."

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

  • DJRamFan
    Cooper defends South Carolina's decision to hire Spurrier
    by DJRamFan
    Dec 9, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The only black football coach currently at South Carolina defended the school's decision to hire Steve Spurrier after the Black Coaches Association criticized the university for failing to conduct a full search.

    Advertisement


    Assistant Ron Cooper, a former head coach at several Division I-A schools, said Thursday he was contacted about the position when Lou Holtz decided to retire earlier this year.

    But when athletic director Mike McGee told Cooper there was a chance to hire Spurrier, Cooper said, "if you can hire Steve Spurrier, go hire him now."

    "It doesn't take a rocket scientist," Cooper said. "There are a lot of coaches out there that would have said what I said."

    BCA director Floyd Keith told prospective football recruits and assistant coaches to stay away from South Carolina because the school ignored the group's recommendation for a more open coaching search.

    Keith said earlier this week that South Carolina never contacted the BCA.

    "There was an announcement and a hire," he said. "That was so fast that a jackrabbit couldn't have had a family between all that."

    Cooper, a former head coach at Eastern Michigan, Louisville and Alabama A&M, said he was out of town this week when the news broke.

    "I know Floyd and I understand where he's coming from," Cooper said. But "to say that it was never brought up, it was brought up and it was talked about."

    Three of the five black head coaches at major colleges - Notre Dame's Tyrone Willingham, New Mexico State's Tony Samuel and San Jose State's Fitz Hill - won't be back with their schools next season.

    McGee has said the mission of the BCA is important to college football. Bur he said administrators faced a brief time frame to land someone as prominent as Spurrier.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -12-10-2004, 08:45 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Spurrier peeves prep coaches by yanking six scholarships
    by DJRamFan
    July 29, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports




    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier upset high school coaches in his new homestate when he revoked the scholarships of six players recruited by his predecessor.

    Advertisement





    The South Carolina Football Coaches Association's Board of Directors called the move "unethical" in a letter to Spurrier on Wednesday.

    "We understand athletic scholarships are a year commitment," according to the board's letter. "However, we feel that unless an athlete 'breaks rules' or embarrasses the institution, to revoke a scholarship because you feel an athlete cannot play at the level needed to compete in the Southeastern Conference is unethical."

    The board's letter, signed by about 90 coaches, also recommended the South Carolina High School League find an alternate location for its five state championship games, scheduled to be played at South Carolina's Williams-Brice Stadium in December.


    Steve Spurrier inherits a South Carolina squad that went 6-5 last season. (AP)
    Earlier this summer, Spurrier sent letters to six players telling them they would lose their scholarships. Those affected included South Carolina high school products Grayson Mullins and Trent Usher, both recruited by the staffs of former coach Lou Holtz.

    Scholarships are renewable each year.

    "If coming out of spring practice, you make that decision that's one thing," SCFCA board member Andy Tweito, an assistant coach at Daniel High, said Thursday. "Now, these kids are stranded, they have nowhere to go. He's left the kids high and dry."

    Spurrier says there are a few players signed by the old staff who new coaches did not think contributed much to the team.

    "We had some walk-on players who were actually contributing more," Spurrier said at the Southeastern Conference football gathering in Birmingham, Ala. "So some of the high schoolers, they got mad about it. I don't know what to say, but to me in life you put people on scholarship who deserve it the most and that's what we tried to do."

    Spurrier last week said receiver Michael Flint and long-snapper Ike Crofoot, both walk-ons, were rewarded with scholarships.

    Spurrier's arrival as Holtz's replacement has been greeted with glee by most South Carolina supporters. The school said Thursday it sold a record of 62,618 seasons tickets. Donations to the Gamecock Club were up more than $1 million from last year to a record of $13 million.

    Tweito said the high school coaches were not trying to pick a fight with Spurrier or sour future recruits on the Gamecocks; they were just making their case in one of the few ways they...
    -07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
  • DJRamFan
    SEC, ACC to review tapes of Clemson-South Carolina fight
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 21, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    CLEMSON, S.C. -- The Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference will review tapes of the fight that broke out in the fourth quarter of the Clemson-South Carolina game before deciding on penalties.

    Advertisement


    SEC commissioner Mike Slive and ACC commissioner John Swofford both issued releases on Sunday. Slive said he expected to have a decision by Monday.

    "There is no place in intercollegiate athletics for this kind of conduct and no excuse for it, rivalries not withstanding," Slive said. "This conduct runs counter to everything we value in athletics and will not be tolerated."

    The Tigers and Game****s had a brief confrontation before Saturday's game and throughout officials had to quell small skirmishes and separate players.

    The brawl broke out with 5:48 to go. It started when Tigers defensive lineman Bobby Williamson took down South Carolina quarterback Syvelle Newton and appeared to linger too long on top of him.

    South Carolina offensive lineman Chris White came to help Newton. White's teammates Na'shan Goddard and Jabari Levey went after Williamson. Tigers Cory Groover, Donnell Clark and Gaines Adams joined in and the chaos began as both sidelines cleared.

    South Carolina's Lou Holtz, coaching his last game with the Game****s, and Clemson coach Tommy Bowden sprinted to the center of the melee to try and break things up. Eventually, security and police officers were needed to restore order.

    Clemson went on the to win the game 29-7.

    Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips said Sunday he was working with the ACC to determine whether players could face discipline.

    Holtz said he would meet with South Carolina athletic director Mike McGee along with other school administrators and take immediate action against those responsible.

    "When players make a decision to run out on the field, there are going to be repercussions from those decisions," Holtz said.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -11-21-2004, 04:58 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Holtz isn't worried about future just yet
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 15, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- What's Lou Holtz going to do next? Depends if the White House calls.

    Advertisement


    "I see Secretary of State's open," the 67-year-old South Carolina coach said Monday.

    Don't expect Holtz to succeed Colin Powell. But the question that's consumed South Carolina fans the past few weeks remains: Will Holtz return for a seventh season?

    "This is not a good time to talk about it, it really isn't," Holtz said. "It's just not a good time."

    Holtz said all his focus and energy is on helping the Game****s (6-4) beat Clemson (5-5) and not on what's ahead.

    Speculation of Holtz's future has come up about this time in each of his six years at South Carolina. He has generally waited until after the season to give a thumbs up to supporters.

    The past few weeks, though, have vexed even the staunchest backer trying to figure out what's next.

    Holtz has said he was tired and worn out from the season. He continually makes references to "whoever is the coach next year" when questioned about his future. Complicating matters are reports this month that a school representative talked to former Florida coach Steve Spurrier about returning to college football.

    And just when Holtz sounds as good as gone, he'll throw out a line like, "Don't bury me yet," or "There's no opening at South Carolina."

    Holtz is signed through 2008. However, a clause in his deal lets him or the university get out of the agreement with five days notice.

    Game****s defensive end George Gause said Holtz hasn't told the players anything about next season. "It's his decision and whatever happens, happens. We just have to go along with it," Gause said.

    South Carolina athletic director Mike McGee has steadily refused to talk about Holtz's return.

    It's understandable that Holtz wants the focus on the game ahead this week. Last year, the Game****s, needing a victory at home against Clemson to reach a bowl, instead were blasted 63-17. Holtz vowed after the game such a debacle would not happen again.

    Holtz said it wouldn't have been fair for him to leave last season -- and leave the program in such a funk. This year, he says, the Game****s are on more solid footing and should be strong for the next few seasons.

    For now, Holtz is trying to cut off the talk about him and make sure his team is pointed at Clemson.

    "I don't want to go down that road because there's only one thing on my mind right now and only one thing important in this world right now and that's Clemson, for our seniors and our football team," Holtz said. "And I don't want to get into anything else."
    ...
    -11-16-2004, 07:46 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Kentucky powers-that-be supporting coach of losing program
    by DJRamFan
    Oct. 26, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Kentucky president Lee Todd and athletic director Mitch Barnhart expressed their support Tuesday for football coach Rich Brooks, whose team is guaranteed its second straight losing season.

    Advertisement





    "We've got the coach we want," Barnhart said Tuesday, following a meeting of the university's board of trustees. "We're not in the market for a coach."

    The Wildcats are 1-6 heading into Saturday's Southeastern Conference game against Mississippi State.

    Reports last week on two national sports websites said Brooks, who is 5-14 in two seasons at Kentucky, planned to resign at the end of the season.

    "I'm not quitting," Brooks said Saturday and again Monday.

    "People have self-serving interests and make things up," Barnhart said Tuesday. He added that college athletics "has become a business of rumor and innuendo. It's so important that our athletes and our coaches and our staffs stay focused on what their task is. That's harder than ever to do."

    Barnhart said in the college ranks, coaches used to be allowed four to seven years to turn around a program, then noted that Florida fired Ron Zook on Monday after less than three years on the job.

    "I'm not a part of that decision-making and I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying the time frames have changed," Barnhart said. "I'm not sure if that's good for college athletics, but that's reality."

    Todd said that Brooks was hired under difficult circumstances and has been forced to deal with the aftermath of NCAA sanctions that took away 19 scholarships from Kentucky during a three-year period. Todd said he was encouraged by the performance of the young players Brooks and his staff have recruited.

    "I'm as big a football fan as anybody, and I want to see this program get back in a winning tradition, and I know that both Mitch and Coach Brooks want to as well," Todd said.

    Asked if he was categorically behind Brooks, Todd said, "I am."

    Todd said rumors typically swirl around a losing program.

    "Any time you lose football games, I think you're going to have that kind of discussion," Todd said.

    Brooks has three years remaining on a five-year contract that pays him $750,000 a year.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -10-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Working...
X