Nick. Just occurred to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick. Just occurred to me...

under the general heading... DUH..., that you must have had a pretty fun year watching Geno, Tavon, Stedman and the boys.

Especially given my alma mater is Cal Poly SLO, and the current college teams I follow are UNLV - 8 wins in the last 4 seasons - and UCLA, who have sucked this whole decade.

Re: Nick. Just occurred to me...

Yeah, it's been an exciting couple of years and, now that Tavon and Stedman are Rams, will continue to be fun watching them in the pros. I doubt I'm the only one here in Morgantown a bit worried about the Mountaineers' offensive potential with all of those guys out the door.

Comment

Re: Nick. Just occurred to me...

Hey Vegas, I try to get to a couple of Cal Poly SLO games a year. I live about 20 South of the campus. I don't know if you heard one of the program's biggest supporters is now in police custody (Al Moriarty). He recently donated about $600K for the new scoreboard and was a driving force in the stadium upgrades as well as the step up to Div-1AA status.

If anyone thinks they recognize the name, yes he is the father of Larry Moriarty the former NFL running back with Notre Dame, Houston Oilers and Kansas City Chiefs.
      RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
        heading to KC--NEED RIBS!!
        by RamWraith
        We are going on a family trip next month to Kansas City to watch the Twins play the Royals. I am looking for some information on ribs. I have heard Kansas City makes the best ribs around, where do I go to find these treasures?? I am looking for something on the east side, somewhere near the sport complex. Anyone that is from there or has been there, let me know. I really have to hook up with some good eats!!
        -06-28-2007, 01:31 PM
      • HUbison
        Hey Nick...
        by HUbison
        Your boy's a Wolverine! What's up?
        -12-17-2007, 02:39 PM
      • MauiRam
        Austin relishes St. Louis escape
        by MauiRam
        By Jim Thomas

Despite all his achievements and accolades at West Virginia, wide receiver Tavon Austin didn’t realize how many friends he had until he was chosen eighth overall in the NFL by the Rams two weeks ago.

“Everybody expects a lot of things from you as far as money,” Austin said. “Everybody wants to be around you. My phone doesn’t stop ringing now. It feels like they’re counting my bank account now. So that’s probably the hardest thing for right now — just people.”

People who are coming out of the woodwork, long lost relatives, “cousins” he never knew he had.

“Oh, I’ve got a lot of cousins now,” Austin said. “The whole (city of) Baltimore is my cousin now. We’re just gonna try to keep focused and let my mother and all them handle it.”

Austin, who is from Baltimore, already has changed his phone number.

“So hopefully, it doesn’t get out again or I’m going to change it again,” he said.

Welcome to that fishbowl otherwise known as the National Football League.

With that in mind, Rams Park provided a safe harbor this weekend at rookie minicamp, with long days of meetings, installation periods, weight training, practice and more meetings.

After all the pre-draft hype and buildup, it’s a safe bet that no one assembled at Rams Park was happier to get back to football and back on the field than Austin.

“It means a lot,” he said after Saturday’s practice.

Now, the adjustment process begins.

On Friday and Saturday, Austin and the rest of the offensive players got about a dozen plays each day to learn. The verbiage in each play call is much lengthier than Austin had at West Virginia.

And here, he’s getting the call in the huddle instead of looking at signals on the line of scrimmage as was the case with the Mountaineers.

“You’ve just got to stay in your playbook and when you get out here, don’t worry about messing up,” Austin said.

Helping him out is a familiar face. Fellow wide receiver and former Moutaineers teammate Stedman Bailey now is a Rams teammate.

They have been roommates this weekend and spent Friday night studying the playbook in their hotel room.

The studying apparently paid off because Austin said he had fewer mental errors Saturday than he did Friday.

“I cut ’em down to a minimum,” Austin said. “I made a couple plays today, so I think the day went well.”

Actually, he made more than a couple. Like a lot of skill position players, as well as the defensive backs, Austin had trouble with his footing on more than one occasion on a wet, slippery field Friday.

But it was sunny and dry Saturday, and Austin showcased his speed and quickness during one-on-one and seven-on-seven passing drills.

Blink and you missed him as a defensive back...
        -05-12-2013, 01:32 AM
      • txramsfan
        Armageddon at Arrowhead
        by txramsfan
        While reading the Austin American Statesman this morning, enjoying a great migas breakfast (best thing to ever happen to breakfast since the chicken) I opened up page 2 of the sports section and what did I see? ARMAGEDDON AT ARROWHEAD. Geez, ESPN has corrupted even the print media. How could the destruction of Earth be compared to a football game between two schools who may not like each other but it's still just football?

I blame Chris Berman for all this "rumblin bumblin stumblin" journalistic nonsense. He has himself brought journalism to an all time low.

However, GO MIZZOU.
        -11-21-2007, 07:53 AM
      • MauiRam
        Rams rookies Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey have something to prove.
        by MauiRam
        By Ryan Van Bibber

Both players know they have a big role in turning around a struggling offense. They're ready.

This is another busy offseason week for the St. Louis Rams. The team starts OTAs on Tuesday. For the new players, this year's rookie class, this is just another action-packed week in a hectic span that's been going on since January. But at least this week, the players have the coaches and veterans on hand as they dive deeper into the transition from college to the pros.

"Oh man, it's is definitely crazy," Tavon Austin told TST last week at the NFLPA Rookie Premiere in Los Angeles, "just to see how many different positions I have to learn. After you relax, you start picking it up, but it's still kind of hard."

To be exact, Austin has three positions to learn. The Rams have him working on the outside as well as anywhere and everywhere on the inside.

"We work with a chip on our shoulder because we want to prove that we're very good wide receivers."-Stedman Bailey

The Rams' first-round pick has a familiar face making the jump with him: former West Virginia teammate and fellow wide receiver Stedman Bailey, who was drafted by the Rams in the third-round. The two are roommates, for now, and helping each other learn offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's playbook.

"We're both learning the playbook together," Bailey said. "We get to quiz each other before we go to sleep, going over everything we went through in practice.

"We understand each other very well," Bailey said of his Mountaineers teammate. "I know his strengths; he knows mine. We use our strengths to our advantage on the field. We work with a chip on our shoulder because we want to prove that we're very good wide receivers."

Bailey compares himself to Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers. Both tend toward the smaller end of the spectrum for players at that position, but over the year's Smith has established himself as one of the most reliable pass catchers in the game.

"He's not the tallest guy around but he makes amazing catches and plays with a chip on his shoulder every snap," Bailey said. "I admire that about him. I try to model my game after him."

Austin doesn't offer a comparison for himself.

Their attitude is exactly what it should be for rookies. Both players are obviously hungry to make their mark on the game, but that's only a starting point.

Jumping from the college game to the NFL isn't easy, especially for wide receivers. Like most teams, the Rams have seen their prospects grapple with the transition. Brian Quick, the first player picked in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft, saw his playing time limited during the season after struggling to learn the finer points of the pro game in training...
        -05-21-2013, 10:37 PM
      Working...
      X