• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorial Green-Beckham dismissed from Missouri

Mizzou cuts Dorial Green-Beckham
    Updated: April 11, 2014, 7:54 PM ET
    By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com

Missouri has dismissed star wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham from the team, coach Gary Pinkel announced Friday.

"This decision was made with the best interests of all involved in mind," Pinkel said in a statement. "Dorial's priority going forward needs to be focusing on getting the help he needs. As we have all along, we will continue to do everything we can to assist Dorial and his family. We care deeply about Dorial and his well-being, but hopefully he can benefit from a fresh start."

Green-Beckham was the subject of an investigation by Columbia, Mo., police this week after an 18-year-old Missouri student said the receiver forced open her apartment door at 2:30 a.m. Sunday while trying to see his girlfriend, a friend of the alleged victim.

The woman said Green-Beckham pushed her down at least four stairs.

Another roommate told police the 6-foot-6, 225-pound athlete pushed the first woman with two hands to the chest. Later that night, the two told a detective they didn't want to press charges, and police closed the case Thursday without an arrest, citing reluctant witnesses fearing retaliation.

In a statement given to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch through his father, John Beckham, before his dismissal from the team Friday, Green-Beckham accepted "responsibility for my conduct and my mistakes."

"Don't blame my girlfriend or her friends for anything," the statement said. "I am not looking for sympathy. I thank those who have given me concern. I have been young and dumb. I want to be better. During my suspension I'm entering counseling. With help, I know I can be stronger emotionally and spiritually."

Missouri had suspended Green-Beckham from the team indefinitely Monday.

Beckham coached his son at Springfield Hillcrest High and adopted Green-Beckham and his younger brother Darnell, who signed a letter of intent in February to attend Missouri.

Athletic director Mike Alden also helped rule on the decision to dismiss Green-Beckham, although he said it ultimately was Pinkel's call.

"We have a high standard of conduct for our student-athletes," Alden said in a statement. "Though we provide the resources and mentoring to all of our student-athletes, we are also responsible to the community at large and to the ideals and values of the University of Missouri. We have determined that this was a necessary step for our football team, athletic department, the university and our community."

Green-Beckham isn't eligible for the NFL draft until after his junior season. He will have to sit out a year if he transfers.

Green-Beckham has two prior marijuana-related arrests. In January, Green-Beckham and two other men were arrested after Springfield, Mo., police found a pound of marijuana in their car. No charges were filed in that case. In October 2012, Green-Beckham, then a freshman, was charged with marijuana possession in Columbia and later pleaded guilty to second-degree trespassing after he and two teammates were reportedly smoking marijuana in a campus parking lot. Green-Beckham was suspended for one game after that arrest.

The loss of Green-Beckham, who was the No. 1-rated wide receiver in the 2012 class by ESPN's recruiting services, is major. After catching 26 passes for 402 yards and five touchdowns as a freshman, he led Missouri with 59 receptions and 12 touchdowns last season, including a school-record four receiving TDs against Kentucky. He also had 144 receiving yards and two touchdowns in the SEC championship game.

Green-Beckham was second on the team with 883 receiving yards and averaged 15 yards per catch.

With the losses of L'Damian Washington and Marcus Lucas, Green-Beckham was Missouri's only returning receiver who recorded at least 30 receptions in 2013 and had multiple touchdown catches. Players who produced 27 of the school's 31 receiving touchdowns last season are gone.

Senior Bud Sasser, who caught 26 passes for 361 yards and a touchdown in 2013, is now Missouri's leading returning wideout.

Re: Dorial Green-Beckham dismissed from Missouri

What a waste.

Comment

Re: Dorial Green-Beckham dismissed from Missouri

Talk about throwing away your dream!!!
      sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• San Diego Ram
        Police officer, who delayed Texans' Moats as relative died, placed on leave
        by San Diego Ram
        DALLAS -- A police officer was placed on administrative leave Thursday after pulling over an NFL player who was rushing to see his dying mother-in-law, drawing his gun, threatening the player with jail and holding him in the hospital parking lot as the woman died.
        Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle apologized to the family of Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats over the March 18 incident and announced that Officer Robert Powell would be on paid leave pending an internal investigation.
        When we at the command staff reviewed the tape, we were embarrassed, disappointed," Kunkle said. "It's hard to find the right word and still be professional in my role as the police chief. But the behavior was not appropriate."
        Police officials said Powell told his commanders he believed he was doing his job and that he drew his gun but didn't point it. Kunkle said Powell wasn't necessarily acting improperly when he pulled out his weapon, but that once he realized what was happening, he should have put the gun back, apologized and offered to help the family in any way.
        "His behavior, in my opinion, did not exhibit the common sense, the discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit," Kunkle said.
        Moats' wife, who was in the car along with other relatives, said Powell pointed his weapon at her.
        "He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car," Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News.
        The Moats family didn't immediately return messages left by The Associated Press. Powell didn't respond to requests for comment through the Dallas police union.
        Powell, a three-year member of the Dallas police force, stopped Moats outside Baylor Regional Medical Center after Moats rolled his sport-utility vehicle through a red light. Video from a dashboard camera inside the officer's vehicle, obtained by Dallas-Fort Worth station WFAA-TV, revealed an intense exchange in which Powell threatened to jail Moats.
        Powell ordered Tamishia Moats to get back in the SUV, but after pausing for a few seconds, she and another woman rushed into the hospital. Tamishia Moats was by the side of her mother, 45-year-old Jonetta Collinsworth, when she died a short time later from breast cancer.
        "Get in there," said Powell, yelling at 27-year-old Tamishia Moats, as she exited the vehicle. "Let me see your hands!"
        "Excuse me, my mom is dying," Tamishia Moats said. "Do you understand?"
        Ryan Moats explained that he waited until there was no traffic before proceeding through the red light. When Powell asked for proof of insurance, Moats grew more agitated and told the officer to go find it.
        "My mother-in-law is dying! Right now! You're wasting my time!" Moats yelled. "I don't understand why you can't understand that."
        As he argued with Moats, the officer grew irritated. "Shut your mouth,"...
        -03-26-2009, 11:26 PM
      • Ramhearder
        Speaking of Janoris...
        by Ramhearder
        ... If we can get a steal at 39 last year and make it work, where do you guys fall with Tyrann Mathieu?

If we spend our third there, I'd be happy.
        -10-26-2012, 02:42 PM
      • Nick
        49ers’ Foster arrested on domestic violence charges
        by Nick
        49ers’ Foster arrested on domestic violence charges
        By Sarah Ravani and Eric Branch
        February 11, 2018 Updated: February 11, 2018 8:20pm

Reuben Foster, the 49ers’ inside linebacker, was arrested Sunday on charges of domestic violence, threats and possession of an assault weapon, police said.

This is Foster’s second arrest within a month. He was taken into custody on Jan. 12 in Tuscaloosa, Ala., for second-degree marijuana possession, meaning it’s for personal use, a Class A misdemeanor in the state.

A news release from the Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police Department said Foster, 23, was arrested without incident in Los Gatos after police received a call around 9:15 a.m. about a disturbance. He was held on $75,000 bail, according to Santa Clara County Jail booking records. He was released at around 6:35 p.m., the Sacramento Bee reported.

The San Jose Mercury News reported that the accuser was a woman who was in a long-term relationship with Foster and that investigating officers found what looked like an assault rifle inside the home.

In 2017, he failed a drug test at the NFL combine for submitting a diluted urine sample. He was kicked out of the NFL combine in early March after an altercation with a hospital employee.

Foster, the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Month for November, ranked second on the team in tackles (72). The designation came after he missed five games because of a high ankle sprain and another because of back spasms.

General Manager John Lynch had previously said the 49ers were attracted to Foster for his enthusiasm and passion for the sport. The 49ers said they aided Foster with a strong support system that includes two former NFL linebackers on their coaching staff, Johnny Holland and DeMeco Ryans. Ryans, like Foster, also attended the University of Alabama.

At Alabama, Foster won the Butkus Award, which is given to the nation’s top linebacker, and was viewed as a top-10 pick in the NFL draft based on his talent. However, the 49ers traded up to select him No. 31 overall after he fell because of character and medical concerns. He underwent shoulder surgery to repair his rotator cuff after his final college season.

MMQB.com reported a team with a top-15 pick didn’t have Foster on its draft board because of his “immaturity” and “issues with life skills,” and that was before his failed drug test and altercation at the combine.

“I would anticipate people maybe questioning some of his character, but I would tell you his character’s what drew us to him,” Lynch said after the 49ers selected Foster in the first round on April 27. “When you start talking football with this young man, he lights up a room, and he’s a good kid. I believe in the kid, and I think it’s going to be — he’s going to be a great player for this organization for a long time.”

Foster is not the only athlete on the team...
        -02-12-2018, 02:49 PM
      • DJRamFan
        Missouri LB suspended for marijuana possession
        by DJRamFan
        Sept. 27, 2004
        SportsLine.com wire reports

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Missouri starting linebacker David Richard has been suspended from Saturday's Big 12 game against Colorado.

Tigers coach Gary Pinkel said Monday that Richard, who was arrested earlier this month for alleged marijuana possession, was suspended "for disciplinary reasons."

Richard, 21, was arrested about 2:30 a.m. Sept. 11, Columbia police Capt. Marvin McCrary confirmed Monday. Police, dispatched to a report of a party in an off-campus neighborhood, heard loud music coming from a parked car, a 1999 Dodge Intrepid registered to Richard.

Officers found Richard and another man in the vehicle, along with a suspected marijuana cigarette and a small bag of suspected marijuana, according to the police report.

Both men were arrested for misdemeanor marijuana possession.

The second suspect was not a football player, McCrary said.

A Missouri State Highway Patrol lab was testing the contents of the cigarette and bag to confirm if it was marijuana, and no charges have been filed.

Pinkel said Monday that Richard will be replaced Saturday by fellow sophomore Marcus Bacon.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound Richard is in his first season at Missouri. He started three games and had six tackles. During Missouri's Sept 18. game against Ball State -- the first after his arrest -- Richard started but did not play much the rest of the game.

Richard began his college career at Michigan State as a tailback, leading the Spartans in rushing with 654 yards in 2002. He transferred to Missouri after that season and sat out last year as a transfer with three years of eligibility remaining.

Pinkel moved Richard to linebacker during the offseason.

AP NEWS
        The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
        -09-28-2004, 07:25 AM
      • evil disco man
        Bengals' Nicholson arrested, charged with assault
        by evil disco man
        Bengals' Nicholson arrested on domestic violence charge
        Associated Press
        Updated: May 18, 2007, 11:19 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- Linebacker A.J. Nicholson was arrested on a domestic violence charge Friday, the first arrest of a Cincinnati Bengals' player since commissioner Roger Goodell cracked down on misconduct last month.

Nicholson already was one of nine Bengals players arrested during a nine-month span, turning the team into a prime example of player misconduct. The team had gone four months without having a player arrested.

Police in nearby Taylor Mill, Ky., arrested Nicholson after a woman called 911 on Friday afternoon to say she had been assaulted by the second-year player. He was charged with fourth-degree assault, a misdemeanor.

Goodell introduced a new conduct policy last month that stiffens penalties and holds franchises responsible when their players get into trouble.

Nicholson, a fifth-round draft pick from Florida State in 2006, appeared in only two games last season, when he had a hamstring injury.

Last March, Nicholson pleaded no contest to burglary and grand theft in Tallahassee, Fla., and was sentenced to two months in a work program. He had been charged with stealing electronic equipment and other items from the apartment of a former Florida State teammate.

Nicholson was also placed on two years' probation, which could be jeopardized by his latest arrest.

Taylor Mill police chief Steve Knauf said a woman called police to Nicholson's apartment at 3:10 p.m. on Friday, saying she had been hit in the face. The officer who responded saw that the woman had an injury by her eye.

Nicholson wasn't at the apartment, but later showed up at the police station and was arrested, Knauf said. He faces up to 12 months in jail and a $500 fine if convicted.

He was jailed in the Kenton County (Ky.) Detention Center following his arrest and released late Friday on $5,000 bond, jail personnel said.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said the team had no immediate comment because it was still gathering information on the arrest.

The Bengals lead the league in off-the-field player problems.

Receiver Chris Henry and middle linebacker Odell Thurman currently are suspended by the league for misconduct. Henry has been arrested four times since December 2005, and will miss the first eight games next season under a suspension imposed by Goodell last month.

Thurman was suspended for all of last season after skipping a drug test and getting arrested for drunken driving. Last February, he pleaded no contest to drunken driving and received a 90-day jail sentence that was put on hold while he got treated for alcohol abuse.

Thurman's sentence could be reduced at a hearing in June if he stays out of trouble and completes the treatment program....
        -05-19-2007, 12:48 PM
      Working...
      X