X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinegar's five TDs guide Fresno State's upset of No. 18 Virginia

Dec. 27, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports
    BOISE, Idaho -- Paul Pinegar shrugged off midseason criticism and kept throwing for touchdowns.

Pinegar had five TD passes, including the game-winning 25-yarder to Stephen Spach in overtime, as Fresno State beat No. 18 Virginia 37-34 in the MPC Computers Bowl on Monday.

"Winning feels great, especially against a Virginia team that has a great defense," Pinegar said.

He was fabulous, completing 23 of 36 passes for 235 yards without an interception, helping the Bulldogs (9-3) erase a 21-7 second-quarter deficit and notch another win against a big-name team.

Fresno State, the third-place team in the Western Athletic Conference, added the Cavaliers (8-4) of the Atlantic Coast Conference to a list of victims that has included Colorado, Oregon State, Wisconsin, Washington and Kansas State in recent years.

"We've got a lot of great teams in the WAC: Boise State, Hawaii, UTEP," Pinegar said. "We've showed that we definitely can compete with some of the best teams in the nation."

His five touchdown passes were a record for the game, formerly known as the Humanitarian Bowl.

Advertisement

Virginia got the first possession of overtime, taking a 34-31 lead on a 26-yard field goal by Connor Hughes.

It didn't take Pinegar long to end it, though. He froze the defense with a play-action call and zipped a pass inside the 5 to Spach, who fought off a pair of would-be tacklers and dropped into the end zone.

"We ought to be able to cover a post pass when we know it's a post pass situation," Virginia coach Al Groh said.

The Bulldogs stormed off the sideline in celebration while the Cavaliers were left dazed.

"When you catch the ball in that situation, you're just looking for the end zone," Spach said. "You just keep on running. I knew I was really close."

Virginia had things in hand after Wali Lundy followed his big blockers and rumbled across the blue turf at Boise State's home field on a 20-yard TD run that put the Cavaliers up 31-24 with 6:20 remaining.

But Pinegar wasn't finished. He started on the 17, turning to the ground game and working the clock to give Fresno State a chance to tie.

Wendell Mathis ran 22 yards to Virginia's 25 and Bryson Sumlin reached the 15 on a 6-yard burst. On third-and-6 at the 10, Pinegar threaded a 7-yard pass into double coverage to tight end Duncan Reid, then spiked the ball to stop the clock at 28 seconds.

That put the ball at the 3, but soon the Bulldogs faced fourth-and-goal. Pinegar rolled right and connected with Jaron Fairman for a TD with 11 seconds to go.

"My last option was to tuck it and run, but that would have been tough sledding to get in," Pinegar said. "Jaron made a great catch. After he caught it, they swiped at his arm but he did a great job to hold on."

Brent Vinsintainer added the point after, and it was tied at 31.

"We never panicked when we were down 14 points," said Pinegar, who was harshly criticized when Fresno State lost three straight games after a 3-0 start. "We knew we just needed to stop making mistakes."

"He's 24-8 now. I've always believed," Bulldogs coach Pat Hill said. "Everybody always wants to change things. I know one thing about him: He wins. I feel very, very comfortable with Paul at quarterback."

Mathis ran for 126 yards on 15 carries, and Sumlin added 94 yards on 21 attempts. The Bulldogs established a second-half ground game after being outplayed by the bigger Cavaliers in the first half.

"In the first half, we were just a little bit out of sync," Hill said. "It was a feeling-out process. I felt we were capable of moving the ball. At halftime, we talked about playing a physical game."

Virginia quarterback Marques Hagans also had a great game, throwing for 162 yards on 18-of-30 passing with one TD. He ran for 85 yards and a TD, and his team's best play was often a drop-back pass that morphed into a long scramble.

"A very good quarterback," Bulldogs defensive tackle Garrett McIntyre said. "He's the best scrambler I've ever gone against. He's a running back who's playing quarterback."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Re: Pinegar's five TDs guide Fresno State's upset of No. 18 Virginia

The WAC is better than the pundits have stated... If Timmy Chang falls to the 4th or 5th round, I'd say he'd be worth taking a flyer on. Far superior to Smoker.

Comment

at the very least, he's better than Chandler...

Comment

Smoker AND Chang... are better than Chandler... right now! LOL

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
          Fresno State dominates Big 12 champs in shocking rout
          by DJRamFan
          Sept. 11, 2004
          MANHATTAN, Kan. -- In 2001, Fresno State made a run at breaking into the Bowl Championship Series by beating big-name teams.

The Bulldogs are at it again.

Fresno State's 45-21 upset of No. 13 Kansas State was its second victory over a team from a BCS conference in seven days -- and their seventh since the BCS was established in 1999.

With the big payday a BCS bowl guarantees, perhaps it's fitting that coach Pat Hill used a poker metaphor to describe his team's situation.

"We are still at the main table," Hill said. "We were all in. We picked up all their chips, and now we've got a bigger pile -- and next week we'll go all in again."

Fresno State (2-0) didn't have to catch many breaks against the Wildcats, either. After giving up an early touchdown on Bret Jones' 42-yard interception return, they dominated the defending Big 12 Conference champions the rest of the game.

Bulldogs running back Dwayne Wright scored two touchdowns before tearing a tendon in his right knee in the fourth quarter, sidelining him for the season.

Advertisement

Bryson Sumlin was originally credited with Wright's second touchdown, but Kansas State officials gave the TD to Wright after reviewing the tape.

Paul Pinegar threw two touchdown passes to Matt Rivera and ran for another score, and Sumlin added one TD run in Fresno State's biggest win over a ranked team -- and the Wildcats' worst regular-season nonconference loss in 13 years.

"I've been here for 16 years," Kansas State coach Bill Snyder said. "You can remember some of the 1-10 and 5-6 (seasons). We never had a football team that just got beat up as badly as we did today."

The Bulldogs' 45 points were the most given up by the Wildcats in a regular-season nonconference game since a 56-3 loss to Washington in 1991. Fresno State's previous most decisive win over a ranked team was a 44-24 defeat of Oregon State, then ranked 10th, in 2001.

That season the Bulldogs, from the Western Athletic Conference, also knocked off Colorado and Wisconsin on the road.

Kansas State (1-1) led 7-0 before it took a snap, but the Wildcats couldn't do much right after Jones' defensive touchdown less than 3 minutes into the game. They had only 2 yards of offense in the first quarter and trailed 31-14 at the half.

Fresno State's defense, which scored three times in last Sunday's 35-16 win at Washington, held Kansas State star Darren Sproles to 37 yards on 11 carries and forced two key turnovers.

"We realized that if we stopped him, it would be no contest," said cornerback Richard Marshall, who set up a touchdown with a third-quarter interception. "We knew the only person they have...
          -09-13-2004, 01:24 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Gators give Zook big win over FSU in final game
          by DJRamFan
          Nov. 20, 2004
          TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- This one was for The Zooker.

Chris Leak threw a touchdown, Ciatrick Fason ran for a score, and Florida upset No. 10 Florida State 20-13 to win in Tallahassee for the first time since 1986.

It also gave fired coach Ron Zook a victory in his final regular-season game.

Condemned since the day he replaced Steve Spurrier in 2002, Zook finally did something the ol' ball coach didn't in his 12 glorious seasons with the Gators. He won at Florida State.

The players carried Zook off the field, and the coach flashed a big smile that had been missing for much of his three seasons.

"I congratulated them for a great job, a great effort," Zook said he told his players after the game. "I thanked them for just hanging in there and not quitting."

The Gators (7-4) ended any legitimate chance the Seminoles had of earning a third straight Bowl Championship Series berth. Florida State (8-3) still could finish tied for the Atlantic Coast Conference title but probably would lose all tiebreaker scenarios because of its BCS ranking, which is expected to drop Monday.

Advertisement

Florida also spoiled a special night for longtime Seminoles coach Bobby Bowden. Before the game, the school named its playing surface "Bobby Bowden Field" and unveiled a 20-by-30 foot stained glass window at the stadium featuring Bowden's likeness.

Spurrier --- 0-5-1 in six trips to Tallahassee -- must have loved the upset, too.

The Gators threw with relative ease against Florida State's vaunted defense. Leak finished 19-for-39 for 231 yards with an interception.

"He's very mature for a sophomore," Bowden said. "He plays like a senior. He did a great job."

Fason's 8-yard touchdown run with 4:59 remaining put the Gators ahead for good.

"I saw a lot of guys leaving everything on the field and we won it for Coach," Fason said. "I think this will help him in looking for a job."

Zook's farewell fairy tale almost turned into a redemption story for Florida State, though.

Embattled quarterback Chris Rix came off the bench and threw a touchdown pass with 8:30 to play that cut the lead to 13-10.

He rolled right and heaved a pass into the end zone that Chauncey Stovall caught over Vernell Brown. The pass was reminiscent of Rix's 52-yard touchdown pass to P.K. Sam with 55 seconds remaining last season that gave the Seminoles a 38-34 win.

Rix also drove the Seminoles to the 18-yard line in the waning seconds, but his last pass was intercepted by Jarvis Harris with 8 seconds to play. Rix finished 9-of-16 for 150 yards.

"He brought us back and nearly pulled it...
          -11-21-2004, 06:03 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Northwestern ends 33-year losing streak vs. Ohio State
          by DJRamFan
          Oct. 3, 2004
          EVANSTON, Ill. -- The Northwestern players piled on top of each other in the corner of the end zone while students rushed the field, turning it into a purple mosh pit.

They partied into the night long after Noah Herron's 1-yard touchdown run gave Northwestern a 33-27 upset of No. 7 Ohio State on Saturday night, not even caring when the north goal post held firm. This party was 33 years in the making, and they weren't about to go home early.

"It's hard to put into words," said safety Jeff Backes, an Ohio native. "I came here with a dream to beat the Buckeyes and it's been 33 years. This is one I will never forget."

Herron scored three touchdowns, including the winner in overtime, and Northwestern (2-3, 1-1 Big Ten) backed up its pregame trash talk with its first victory over Ohio State (3-1, 0-1) since 1971. The win snapped the Buckeyes' 24-game winning streak in the series, and handed them their first loss in Evanston since 1958.

"Thirty-three years was long enough," said Northwestern coach Randy Walker, an Ohio native.

It also was Northwestern's first victory over a top-10 team since beating then-No. 7 Wisconsin in double overtime in Madison on Sept. 23, 2000.

Ohio State has made it a habit of pulling out the close wins, winning 13 of its last 15 games that were decided by seven points or less. The Buckeyes beat Marshall earlier this season on Mike Nugent's field goal as time expired, and Nugent tied a school record with five field goals to beat North Carolina State two weeks ago.

Advertisement

It looked as if the Buckeyes' luck might hold again Saturday after they rallied to score 10 points in the final nine minutes and force overtime. But the normally automatic Nugent misfired, with his 40-yard field-goal attempt sailing wide right on the first overtime possession.

"It was probably one of the best balls I hit tonight," Nugent said. "I thought it was going to be dead-center."

Instead, the Wildcats got a second chance to put the Buckeyes away and they made the most of it. On the second play, quarterback Brett Basanez scrambled to the left and up the sideline for a 21-yard gain. Two plays later, Herron bulldozed his way into the end zone for the winning score, setting off pandemonium at the stadium.

"I wouldn't have requested to be at the end of (the streak)," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said. "But we are. Unfortunately, that's the case. We have to start trying to get better, starting tomorrow."

Herron ran for 113 yards, rushed for two 1-yard scores and also caught a 12-yard TD pass. Mark Philmore had 134 yards receiving and a touchdown, the first of his career. Brett Basanez was 24-of-44 for 278 yards, two touchdowns...
          -10-04-2004, 01:14 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Stanton totals 414 yards as Michigan State rips No. 19 Minnesota
          by DJRamFan
          Oct. 16, 2004
          EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Michigan State quarterback Drew Stanton is facing a hefty dinner tab.

Stanton owes his offensive linemen a meal after setting a school record with 414 yards of total offense in Saturday's 51-17 victory over No. 19 Minnesota.

Stanton credited the big guys up front for the honor.

"That's already planned," Stanton said of the upcoming dinner. "I'll get my piggy bank out, because I've got six hungry guys here."

The win kept bowl hopes alive for the resurgent Spartans (4-3, 3-1 Big Ten). The Gophers (5-2, 2-2) have lost two straight.

Stanton passed for 308 yards and ran for 102 more. He also had a 4-yard reception.

Stanton's yardage tops the previous school record of 393 set by quarterback Jeff Smoker against Fresno State in 2001.

Advertisement

Michigan State gained 407 yards in the first half, a school record, while taking a 31-10 lead. The Spartans finished with 636 yards of offense.

"We're putting up a lot of yards, and we've got good balance with the run and the pass," said offensive guard William Whitticker.

The offense has clicked since Stanton entered the starting lineup four games ago. Stanton, a sophomore, was slowed early in the season because of a lingering injury to his right knee.

"He has all the confidence in the world, and we have the same in him on the field," center Chris Morris said.

The offensive production came despite cold, rainy conditions with temperatures in the low 40s at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans are now 9-3 against ranked teams at home since 1998.

The Spartans rolled up 324 rushing yards. Jehuu Caulcrick had 94 yards and two touchdowns on 13 carries for Michigan State.

Stanton was 20-of-31 with three touchdowns through the air, including two to tight end Eric Knott. Terry Love also caught a touchdown pass. Stanton threw two interceptions.

Minnesota coach Glen Mason said it was the worst loss he's suffered in his seven-plus years with the Gophers.

"The big question is why?" Mason said. "I'm really not sure. I don't have the answers and really didn't see it coming."

Minnesota couldn't get its vaunted running attack untracked, finishing with 102 yards.

Laurence Maroney had 54 yards on 13 carries for the Gophers. Marion Barber III had 36 yards on eight carries.

Both Maroney and Barber entered the game among the nation's top 20 rushers. Minnesota entered the game averaging 301 yards rushing per game, third best in the nation behind only Rice and Texas.

Minnesota quarterback Bryan Cupito was 11-of-33 for 211 yards, with two touchdowns and two interceptions....
          -10-16-2004, 03:40 PM
        • DJRamFan
          Orton helps Purdue end 30-year drought at Notre Dame
          by DJRamFan
          Oct. 2, 2004
          SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Purdue quarterback Kyle Orton accomplished something that Drew Brees, Jim Everett and Mark Hermann never did -- win at Notre Dame.

Orton threw four touchdown passes, including a 97 yarder to Taylor Stubblefield, to lead the 15th-ranked Boilermakers to a 41-16 victory Saturday. It was Purdue's first win at Notre Dame Stadium since Ara Parseghian's last year as Irish coach in 1974, when the Irish were ranked No. 2.

Orton was 21-of-31 for 385 yards, third most in his career, to help the Boilermakers (4-0) end a 13-game losing streak at Notre Dame (3-2). Purdue coach Joe Tiller said it might have been Orton's best game.

"I'm not surprised by what No. 18 can do any more," Tiller said. "He does a great job and our team is following his talent."

Orton, who has 17 TD passes with no interceptions this season, was asked after the game if he thought his performance might help his Heisman Trophy chances.

"You guys keep bringing up the Heisman. I don't have a vote on that," he said.

The Irish certainly were impressed, though.

Advertisement

"He was unstoppable," defensive end Justin Tuck said. "A lot of people say he is the leading candidate for the Heisman Trophy. He's got my vote."

In their last three trips to Notre Dame Stadium, the Boilermakers had come close to beating the Irish but always had a key turnover that cost them. On Saturday, though, the Boilermakers, who have not lost a fumble this year, didn't turn the ball over once against a Notre Dame defense which had forced 16 turnovers in its first four games.

"I told the coach before the game that if we could get 24 points and no turnovers, we would be in good shape," Orton said. "To get 41 points showed we played outstanding today."

Tiller said he was more impressed with the win over the Irish than winning at Notre Dame Stadium.

"I'll be real honest. I don't think too much about winning in this stadium," he said.

The victory also marked the first time Purdue has won a road game at a traditional powerhouse under Tiller, who is in his eighth season. The Boilermakers have lost six straight at Ohio State, they are 0-3-1 at Penn State and haven't won at Michigan since 1966.

Orton said he thought too much was made about Purdue's losing streak at Notre Dame.

"We don't go around thinking about that too much but it's nice for the fans and the program to get a win here," Orton said.

The Boilermakers also got a big play from Jerome Brooks, who returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown right after Notre Dame had tied the score at 3-3.

Purdue's defense stepped up...
          -10-04-2004, 01:14 PM
        Working...
        X