Alma Maters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alma Maters

Ok, Division I-A is not the only college football so in that reason I am inviting people to talk about ALL football I-A through III. Feel free to talk about your alma mater or the college you currently attend (like me).

I'll get it started...I go to Slippery Rock University in PA (PSAC conference). We had four years with a stellar quarterback, but after he graduated, the two backups split time and needless to say it was a disappointment.

Our big rivals happen to be Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP), who basically manhandled us this year after four years of our own domination...

Let's here about other schools...

Memphis State or now University of Memphis

Got to watch Ike play his Junior and Senior year at MSU, and his Senior year we had a really good team:

Beat Mississippi, Mississippi St, Arkansas, and Vandy (4-0 in the SEC) but struggled with teams like Cincinnati and East Carolina. Big rival game is with Ole Piss, Tennessee, and Louisville.

I have been at games where there were more people showing up for Tiger basketball than football.

Comment

I thought i heard Memphis was getting screwed in illegal recruiting from outside - I guess all the Memphis HS players ended up going away. I think it was the Alabama controversy - the newest one i think.

Comment

Actually, Memphis benefited from that one. Lots of talent does come from that town, and the SEC feeds there. A kid came from Trezvant High I believe and went to Alabama. He got to Alabama because Bama gave the HS coach something like $20,000 and an Explorer. Maybe that isn't dollar accurate but the bribe was there. He then transferred to Memphis.

Comment

I attended University of Central Oklahoma, an NCAA Division II school and alma mater of Keith Traylor of the Bears. But I was born in Stillwater and both my folks went to Oklahoma State, so the Cowboys are my top team.
          I'm currently enrolloed (even though I'm OLLLDDD) at the University of Missouri, and I follow the TIgers...unless they're playing OSU.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
            Schnellenberger building a fourth power in Florida
            by DJRamFan
            Sept. 23, 2004
            By Dennis Dodd
            SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Why not flip a coin to pick a starting quarterback?

Howard Schnellenberger had done wackier things in his career. Twenty years ago it seemed like he was throwing that career away. Miami had won the national championship in 1983 and Schnellenberger, the celebrated architect of Hurricanes football, bolted -- try not to laugh -- to the USFL.

Needless to say, that didn't work out. There was an inspiring stop at Louisville and a disappointing one at Oklahoma but, really, his career arc was never the same again.

"In my opinion, he might have as many championships as anybody, ever (if he stayed at Miami)," Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said. "It's crossed my mind many times."

So why not flip that coin three years ago? How is that more outrageous than creating a football program at an unknown campus in Boca Raton, Fla.? A place where the burrowing owls on campus were the inspiration for the school's nickname?

Or agreeing to go door-to-door soliciting community leaders for the mere $15 million needed to go from germ of an idea to kickoff?

Really, it wasn't weird at all for the 70-year old who, well, let's just say he still has extreme confidence in his abilities. So, yeah, it really was Schnellenberger who suggested in 2001 that freshman quarterbacks Jared Allen and Garrett Jahn flip a coin to start the first game in Florida Atlantic's history.

"They were too close for a human being to call so God called it," Schnellenberger said this week, considering his latest construction project. "Certainly I would do that. Why wouldn't I?"

Ridiculous is sublime again in Schnellenberger's world. Amid this season's talking points -- hurricanes, instant replay, kickers who can't kick -- is the job Schnellie has done at that owl-laden commuter campus of 13,000 students in Palm Beach County.

Three victories, all on the road, all against I-A competition in Florida Atlantic's final season before joining the big time, which in this case is the Sun Belt Conference in 2005. Next year, this college football IPO will be eligible for -- please stifle your laughter again -- a bowl.

All of it after playing organized college football for all of four years. All of it according to plan.

"He was basically semi-retired in Miami selling municipal bonds," said Dr. Anthony Catanese, the man who hired Schnellenberger at Florida Atlantic in 1998. "I said, 'That's not the place for Howard Schnellenberger.'

"He told me in five years he'd have this program nationally recognized. He did it in three."

Almost all of it has been done with kids from the state of Florida who couldn't go to one of the Big Three -- Miami, Florida or Florida State....
            -09-23-2004, 01:14 PM
          • DJRamFan
            Changes Multiply With D-II Football Set To Start
            by DJRamFan
            By Brad Dopke
            From CollegeSportsReport.com

Those in BCS circles would have you believe that the college football season kicks off in Washington, D.C., on August 28 when Southern Cal and Virginia Tech hook up. However, purists know that many Division II teams will be kicking off the Thursday prior to the big boys.

Still, the real story before the start of the season is in the happenings off the field. Not only will D-II continue its push toward regionalization by increasing the number of playoff participants from 16 to 24, but there is also interest in some regions to reduce the maximum allowed scholarship equivalencies from 36 to a number as low as 24 per year. Any change in equivalencies could come as early as the 2005 NCAA Convention.

As scholarship money is limited at the Division II level, it just may provide the impetus for more schools to step up to Division I. Gone are North and South Dakota State from the NCC to join Cal-Davis and Northern Colorado in Division I, with Winston-Salem State making public its desire to move up as well. Also missing from the D-II landscape is one time power New Haven, which decided to drop the sport for financial reasons.

At a time when financial support for football is getting more difficult to come by, a push to reduce overall costs for the sport may have the numbers to get scholarship reductions pushed past the powerbrokers that vetoed such a fate just a few years back. Now back to the field of play. Members of the four regions have been set, and each region is allotted six playoff participants. Truly surprising was that the Championships Committee decided to remove one of the Division's most powerful conferences (the GLIAC) from the Northeast Region to an already difficult Northwest Region. That means the PSAC, WVIAC and non-scholarship Northeast Ten already come out as big winners. Part I takes a look at the Northeast and Southeast regions.

NORTHEAST

With regionalization establishing the PSAC as a leader in Division II, the conference comes loaded with quality and growing teams. Things should really be hot in the West Division where Shippensburg returns a good chunk from what was a successful title contender. This year the Raiders would like to topple Lou Tepper's Edinboro Scots from their title perch. Still, Shipps will have its hands full as Indiana looks to be in the title chase. With six picks in the Northeast Region, expect two of these three teams to make it to the playoffs.

In the PSAC East things may not be as torrid on the national scene, but both Bloomsburg and West Chester will field quality teams that should be in the hunt for the divisional title. Right behind both contenders will be East Stroudsburg. Although Mansfield may lack the overall punch necessary to top them all, the Mountaineers may have the nation's best performer in running back Earnest "Poohbear" McNeal....
            -08-26-2004, 12:20 PM
          • DJRamFan
            Gundy, Stillwater run deep with optimism for OSU football
            by DJRamFan
            Feb. 14, 2005
            By Dennis Dodd
            SportsLine.com Senior Writer
            Tell Dennis your opinion!

STILLWATER, Okla. -- This is what a couple of victories over Oklahoma will get you ...

Interest from a millionaire donor.
            Interest in your coach.
            Interest in getting better?
            Oklahoma State is in the business of answering that question -- again. It's a common one in Stillwater, where rookie Mike Gundy is the fourth coach since crippling NCAA sanctions tore OSU football apart in 1988.

QB Donovan Woods will have the spotlight next year. (Getty Images)
            Its perpetual starting point is being the other program in the state, seldom dealing from a position of strength. On its own campus, Eddie Sutton consistently fields a top 10 basketball program. OSU football constantly fights for recruits, attention and victories against that national power 90 minutes down the road.

Ah, that's where the Cowboys can claim some progress. Quick, name the only school to beat Oklahoma more than once since the beginning of the 2000 season.

Yep, Oklahoma State, which has won two of the past four meetings and five of the past 10.

"Our staff, in my honest opinion, does a great job of game-planning them," said Gundy, who ascended from offensive coordinator to replace Les Miles on Jan. 3. "We challenge them. We go after them. Some teams go out there and say, 'Let's get this over with.' Our players go right after them."

Sooners everywhere have about eight months to let those words soak in. Until then, I-A's youngest coach (Gundy is 37) is brash enough to keep crowing. Miles wasn't shy about the subject while leading the program out of a decade-long malaise before departing for LSU. While his record wasn't spectacular (28-21), his organizational skills and game-planning were outstanding.

Ask Oklahoma. A going-nowhere Cowboys team beat the No. 4 Sooners in Norman 16-13 in 2001, Miles' first season. They did it again the next year, winning 38-28 against a team ranked No. 3.

Based largely on those two results, LSU swept in and hired Miles, the only coach to guide Oklahoma State to three consecutive bowls. Also based on those victories, Oklahoma State quickly replaced him with Gundy. Millionaire T. Boone Pickens was already on board, having given a combined $200 million to the school and athletic department.

Mike Gundy file
            A brief history of Oklahoma State's new coach:
            Birthdate: Aug. 12, 1967 (youngest I-A coach)
            Wife: Kristen
            Children: Gavin, Gunnar, Gage
            School: Oklahoma State
            Playing experience: Four-year starter at quarterback, 1986-89; still holds school career passing record (7,997 yards)
            Coaching experience: assistant Oklahoma State, 1990-1995; Baylor, 1996; Maryland,...
            -02-18-2005, 07:48 AM
          • DJRamFan
            SEC preview: Miles' task at LSU simple: Win 'em all
            by DJRamFan
            By Dennis Dodd
            CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

No pressure or anything, Les Miles, but it would be nice if you'd deliver an SEC title in your first season at LSU.

OK, a national championship wouldn't hurt either.

SEC
            Predicted Finish
            East
            1. Tennessee
            2. Florida
            3. Georgia
            4. South Carolina
            5. Kentucky
            6. Vanderbilt
            West
            1. LSU
            2. Auburn
            3. Alabama
            4. Arkansas
            5. Mississippi
            6. Mississippi State
            Off. player of year:
            Chris Leak, Florida
            Def. player of year:
            Jesse Mahelona, Tennessee
            Coach of the year:
            Urban Meyer, Florida
            Like any coach jumping up a level, Miles wanted the fame, money and power that goes with coaching an SEC power. Now comes the reality. Nick Saban left Miles a load of talent.

And Miles cannot screw it up. No pressure or anything, Les, but the expectations are through the roof.

"I think I spoke on (a) Wednesday night and I got in the car," said the Tigers' new coach. "(A) guy talked about nine wins and then at the podium somebody mentioned 10 or 11, then a guy said, 'Well, you know 12 victories is probably just what we'd like, coach.'"

Yeah, no pressure.

Miles enters the House That Nick Built with the burden of Tiger Nation upon him. Being the first coach to lead Oklahoma State to three consecutive bowl games is one thing. Keeping Tiger Stadium rocking at an earthquake level is another.

Saban wasn't the most media-friendly guy in the world, but he did deliver two SEC titles and a national championship. That will earn him a lifetime spot in LSU hearts.

Saban recruited so well that the Tigers have averaged 10 victories the past four seasons. Seemingly the only way they can be dragged down this year is a still-questionable quarterback situation.

Les Miles hits Baton Rouge after leading Oklahoma State to back-to-back upsets of then-No. 1 Oklahoma. (AP)
            Sophomore JaMarcus Russell has been slow to develop, but that doesn't mean he can't be this year's Jason Campbell. Besides, the Tigers are so loaded at defensive line, running back and receiver that it might not matter.

Right now, it certainly doesn't matter to LSU fans. LSU was an overwhelming pick to win the SEC West by the media. Six players were picked on the preseason all-conference teams. The run started by Saban is unprecedented in LSU history. It's up to Miles (28-21 at Oklahoma State) not to screw it up.

"The program is in great shape," he said. "There's arguably maybe no finer football program in the country being run."

What...
            -08-24-2005, 07:00 PM
          • DJRamFan
            Spurrier excited about SEC revival with Gamecocks
            by DJRamFan
            Aug. 28, 2005
            By Dennis Dodd
            CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- You really can't believe he's 60. On a random offseason weekday, Steve Spurrier is bounding around his office like a kid in Toys R Us.

South Carolina fans hope Steve Spurrier can do for them what he did for Florida. (Getty Images)
            "Have you seen Cocky?" Spurrier says, flipping on the switch of a two-foot replica of the South Carolina mascot that begins dancing across a ledge.

"I was lucky on the hair genes," he remarks after a reference to his perfectly coifed hair helmet that looks like it has been preserved since he won the Heisman in 1966 -- as a dashing senior.

You simply can't believe he's 60. A doctor checked Spurrier's heart last year during his year off from football. It looked better than in 2003, his last year with the Washington Redskins. What was he doing different? Relaxing. Well, that and a new interest in the StairMaster.

"It gets you huffin' and puffin'," says the smiling man who used to eat quarterbacks for lunch, even when they followed instructions.

Lunch was served again in the spring. Spurrier, you see, reads everything. Not many people know that about him. Newspapers, TV, Internet. He likes to keep track of the condition of the program.

After a scrimmage, quarterbacks Blake Mitchell and Antonio Heffner were asked how they thought they did. "Pretty good," they were basically quoted as saying.

"You call that, 'pretty good?'" he shot back next time the three came together.

Spurrier sat down his quarterbacks and showed them a film of Florida's 54-17 victory at South Carolina in 2001. Rex Grossman threw for 302 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. The Gators scored the last 44 points of the game.

"It was a game we never punted," Spurrier said. "Now that's pretty good, not hitting one out of three. You guys have to understand what playing well means."

This is the Spur Dog in full. At an age when a lot of men are counting the days to retirement, Spurrier is counting the days toward the opener in his new job.

"Sometimes as a young coach in your 30s, you're trying to act like you're 45," Spurrier said. "When you get to be above 60 or so, you want to act like you're 45. Health-wise I feel like I can do more than I did at 45. Hopefully my mind is still as good as it was then.

"I think it is."

Consider that a warning shot. The college football world is on the edge of its cleats, waiting for The Tao of Steve to return to the game. That opener against Central Florida is now three days away. National television is moving...
            -08-29-2005, 05:07 PM
          Working...
          X