Alma Maters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alma Maters

Ok, Division I-A is not the only college football so in that reason I am inviting people to talk about ALL football I-A through III. Feel free to talk about your alma mater or the college you currently attend (like me).

I'll get it started...I go to Slippery Rock University in PA (PSAC conference). We had four years with a stellar quarterback, but after he graduated, the two backups split time and needless to say it was a disappointment.

Our big rivals happen to be Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP), who basically manhandled us this year after four years of our own domination...

Let's here about other schools...

Memphis State or now University of Memphis

Got to watch Ike play his Junior and Senior year at MSU, and his Senior year we had a really good team:

Beat Mississippi, Mississippi St, Arkansas, and Vandy (4-0 in the SEC) but struggled with teams like Cincinnati and East Carolina. Big rival game is with Ole Piss, Tennessee, and Louisville.

I have been at games where there were more people showing up for Tiger basketball than football.

Comment

I thought i heard Memphis was getting screwed in illegal recruiting from outside - I guess all the Memphis HS players ended up going away. I think it was the Alabama controversy - the newest one i think.

Comment

Actually, Memphis benefited from that one. Lots of talent does come from that town, and the SEC feeds there. A kid came from Trezvant High I believe and went to Alabama. He got to Alabama because Bama gave the HS coach something like $20,000 and an Explorer. Maybe that isn't dollar accurate but the bribe was there. He then transferred to Memphis.

Comment

I attended University of Central Oklahoma, an NCAA Division II school and alma mater of Keith Traylor of the Bears. But I was born in Stillwater and both my folks went to Oklahoma State, so the Cowboys are my top team.
          I'm currently enrolloed (even though I'm OLLLDDD) at the University of Missouri, and I follow the TIgers...unless they're playing OSU.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
            Schnellenberger building a fourth power in Florida
            by DJRamFan
            Sept. 23, 2004
            By Dennis Dodd
            SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Why not flip a coin to pick a starting quarterback?

Howard Schnellenberger had done wackier things in his career. Twenty years ago it seemed like he was throwing that career away. Miami had won the national championship in 1983 and Schnellenberger, the celebrated architect of Hurricanes football, bolted -- try not to laugh -- to the USFL.

Needless to say, that didn't work out. There was an inspiring stop at Louisville and a disappointing one at Oklahoma but, really, his career arc was never the same again.

"In my opinion, he might have as many championships as anybody, ever (if he stayed at Miami)," Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said. "It's crossed my mind many times."

So why not flip that coin three years ago? How is that more outrageous than creating a football program at an unknown campus in Boca Raton, Fla.? A place where the burrowing owls on campus were the inspiration for the school's nickname?

Or agreeing to go door-to-door soliciting community leaders for the mere $15 million needed to go from germ of an idea to kickoff?

Really, it wasn't weird at all for the 70-year old who, well, let's just say he still has extreme confidence in his abilities. So, yeah, it really was Schnellenberger who suggested in 2001 that freshman quarterbacks Jared Allen and Garrett Jahn flip a coin to start the first game in Florida Atlantic's history.

"They were too close for a human being to call so God called it," Schnellenberger said this week, considering his latest construction project. "Certainly I would do that. Why wouldn't I?"

Ridiculous is sublime again in Schnellenberger's world. Amid this season's talking points -- hurricanes, instant replay, kickers who can't kick -- is the job Schnellie has done at that owl-laden commuter campus of 13,000 students in Palm Beach County.

Three victories, all on the road, all against I-A competition in Florida Atlantic's final season before joining the big time, which in this case is the Sun Belt Conference in 2005. Next year, this college football IPO will be eligible for -- please stifle your laughter again -- a bowl.

All of it after playing organized college football for all of four years. All of it according to plan.

"He was basically semi-retired in Miami selling municipal bonds," said Dr. Anthony Catanese, the man who hired Schnellenberger at Florida Atlantic in 1998. "I said, 'That's not the place for Howard Schnellenberger.'

"He told me in five years he'd have this program nationally recognized. He did it in three."

Almost all of it has been done with kids from the state of Florida who couldn't go to one of the Big Three -- Miami, Florida or Florida State....
            -09-23-2004, 01:14 PM
          • DJRamFan
            Gundy, Stillwater run deep with optimism for OSU football
            by DJRamFan
            Feb. 14, 2005
            By Dennis Dodd
            Tell Dennis your opinion!

STILLWATER, Okla. -- This is what a couple of victories over Oklahoma will get you ...

Interest from a millionaire donor.
            Interest in your coach.
            Interest in getting better?
            Oklahoma State is in the business of answering that question -- again. It's a common one in Stillwater, where rookie Mike Gundy is the fourth coach since crippling NCAA sanctions tore OSU football apart in 1988.

QB Donovan Woods will have the spotlight next year. (Getty Images)
            Its perpetual starting point is being the other program in the state, seldom dealing from a position of strength. On its own campus, Eddie Sutton consistently fields a top 10 basketball program. OSU football constantly fights for recruits, attention and victories against that national power 90 minutes down the road.

Ah, that's where the Cowboys can claim some progress. Quick, name the only school to beat Oklahoma more than once since the beginning of the 2000 season.

Yep, Oklahoma State, which has won two of the past four meetings and five of the past 10.

"Our staff, in my honest opinion, does a great job of game-planning them," said Gundy, who ascended from offensive coordinator to replace Les Miles on Jan. 3. "We challenge them. We go after them. Some teams go out there and say, 'Let's get this over with.' Our players go right after them."

Sooners everywhere have about eight months to let those words soak in. Until then, I-A's youngest coach (Gundy is 37) is brash enough to keep crowing. Miles wasn't shy about the subject while leading the program out of a decade-long malaise before departing for LSU. While his record wasn't spectacular (28-21), his organizational skills and game-planning were outstanding.

Ask Oklahoma. A going-nowhere Cowboys team beat the No. 4 Sooners in Norman 16-13 in 2001, Miles' first season. They did it again the next year, winning 38-28 against a team ranked No. 3.

Based largely on those two results, LSU swept in and hired Miles, the only coach to guide Oklahoma State to three consecutive bowls. Also based on those victories, Oklahoma State quickly replaced him with Gundy. Millionaire T. Boone Pickens was already on board, having given a combined $200 million to the school and athletic department.

Mike Gundy file
            A brief history of Oklahoma State's new coach:
            Birthdate: Aug. 12, 1967 (youngest I-A coach)
            Wife: Kristen
            Children: Gavin, Gunnar, Gage
            School: Oklahoma State
            Playing experience: Four-year starter at quarterback, 1986-89; still holds school career passing record (7,997 yards)
            Coaching experience: assistant Oklahoma State, 1990-1995; Baylor, 1996; Maryland,...
            -02-18-2005, 07:48 AM
          • Bruce=GOAT
            Top 25 College mascots
            by Bruce=GOAT
            http://www.americasbestonline.net/cmascots2.htm

Top 25 College Mascots - 2006

Monte, University of Montana - "Monte" was born in the mountains of Missoula in the Fall of 1991. The 2002-2003 Capital One National Champion Mascot of the Year has evolved into a motorcycle riding, break dancing, back flipping, slam dunking, movie making, crowd surfing, goal post smashing, prank pulling superstar that makes the women of Montana swoon.
            Monte's charitable and community service activities are unmatched in college athletics. Raising thousands of "fur made" dollars for local children's charities keeps this bear quite busy all year round, and that's how he likes it.

Aubie, Auburn University - A popular character among Auburn fans, kids, and one of the most animated mascots in the country, Aubie has been on the job since 1979. Aubie’s began as a cartoon character that first appeared on the Auburn/Hardin-Simmons football program cover on October 3, 1959. In 1979, Aubie came to life at the Southeastern Conference basketball tournament. Aubie proudly marched into the Birmingham-Jefferson County Civic Center and helped lead first-year Auburn coach Sonny Smith’s team to upset wins of Vanderbilt and Georgia in the SEC basketball tournament.
            Aubie is five-time national champion cheerleading mascots and has been on numerous 2004 Capital One All-American Mascot Teams. Aubie also writes a column for the local paper where he answers any question from local elementry school kids.

Buzz, Georgia Tech - Buzz is the world-famous and beloved mascot of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Buzz gets Tech fans cheering at nearly all the Institute's intercollegiate sporting events. Although Buzz's origins are rather ambiguous, it is known that Buzz showed up at a game sometime in the early 1980s as an unofficial cheerleader, and was soon adopted by the GT cheerleading squad. Today Buzz is a member of the cheerleading squad, and attends all Football Games, all Home basketball games for the Men's & Women's Team, several Volleyball & Baseball games, as well as pep rallies and appearances throughout Georgia. In Fall 2005 and 2006, Buzz was named to the Capital One All-American Mascot Teams and competed for the title of the Capital One Mascot of the Year. Buzz also competes in the Mascot National Competition in Daytona, FL each April. In 2006 he received 2nd place.

Sparty, Michigan State University - Sparty the Spartan is Michigan State University’s fearless and loveable mascot, a figure known throughout the state of Michigan and recognized across the nation as well. Sparty is the heart of Michigan State, forever supporting its teams, bringing smiles to young and old and continually uplifting all...
            -01-16-2007, 01:24 AM
          • fearlessone
            SEC is the Dominant Conference!
            by fearlessone
            With LSU and Florida tearing up there opponents in the Bowl season and Michigan, ohio late and notre shame looking hapless with u. of spoiled chidren on the right coast losing to a team that got blown out by a woeful fsu team combined by barely getting by a few of their other slack ten opponents and with another loss to a poor team: IT IS VERY EVIDENT THAT the SEC is the SUPREME Conference when it comes to College Football.

Like the baseball hall of fame writers, those yankees don't know s#$t when it comes to College Football.

Looks to me like 'sc needs to schedule some tougher opponents to get any proper respect although they look deep and with Florida look like the early favorites for next year.

LSU, LSU!
            -01-21-2007, 11:20 PM
          • DJRamFan
            The sophomore from Ft. Washington, Md. scored his first collegiate touchdown on a 68-
            by DJRamFan
            Sept. 6, 2004
            By Dennis Dodd
            Tell Dennis your opinion!

Rutgers coach Greg Schiano is happy to create the barstool argument.

Was the Scarlet Knights' 19-14 victory over Michigan State on Saturday maybe the biggest upset of the season to date? Judge for yourself: Rutgers opened the season at home before a packed house coming off a five-win season. The heat, that used to be focused on Schiano and his players, instead took a lot out of the Spartans in steamy Piscataway.

Ryan Neil is hugged after returning an interception for Rutgers' only TD in Saturday's big win.(AP)
            "To our kids and to our staff, I don't think it was (an upset)," Schiano said. "but probably nationally it certainly is because of the reputation we've had."

For years, the reps of Rutgers and New Jersey were both a challenge for the tour and convention bureau. Without going into a lot detail, suffice to say there aren't many states featured in a cable series about a ruthless crime family.

At least The Sopranos has been a hit. Rutgers had hit bottom with 11 straight sub.-500 seasons going into this season.

"The state could really use something to get behind now," Schiano said.

Rutgers football might be it. After three mostly down seasons, under Schiano (9-27 overall) the Scarlet Knights are hotter than the weather. Anyone who checked into their personnel and 5-7 finish in 2003 knew this might be coming, but c'mon, it was still Rutgers.

In its 135-year history, the program has been to one bowl -- the 1978 Garden State Bowl, a postseason game that was created just for the school and no longer exists.

Its own fans were booing the school that played in the first college football game in 1869. Saturday became a coming out of sorts with a sellout of 42,612 packing Rutgers Stadium to see if the hype was true.

The game wasn't exactly artistic -- Rutgers did not score an offensive touchdown -- but it did lend hope. The victory was the program's first over a Big Ten team since 1991. Since then there have been 46 victories, 16 of them over Navy, Temple or I-AA schools. During the Schiano regime, Rutgers has lost to Buffalo and Villanova.

So, go ahead Rutgers, celebrate.

"I can't speak for any of the teams that come before but this is the biggest win since I've been here," quarterback Ryan Hart said after the game. "This is the kind of victory Coach Schiano has been talking about since he got here ... It's so big for the program."

The love is hitting all at once. Kicker Jeremy Ito (special teams) and defensive lineman (Ryan Neill) were selected Big East players of the week. The Knights received a vote in the AP Top 25.

A 6-0 start going into the...
            -09-07-2004, 01:12 PM
          Working...
          X