Clear All

• Cool obscure bowl games this year

Here are a few entertaining games to view this year outside of the BCS:

1. East Carolina - Marshall in the GMAC Bowl Dec. 19

2. Stanford - Ga Tech in the Seattle Bowl Dec. 27

3. Washington - Texas in the Holiday Bowl Dec. 28

4. Washington St. - Purdue in the Wells Fargo Sun Bowl Dec. 31

5. Fresno St - Michigan St in the Silicon Valley Classic Dec. 31

Pretty cool Marshall - ECU game. 64-61 in 2OTs? They both outscored the Miami Heat that night.

Comment

If that is true that both of them outscored the heat then i am ashamed to be a basketball fan. Of course being me and having to get up to start the day at 6AM and then leave at 6:30 and not getting home untill 8:30PM i am out of the sports loop. BUt anyways it was a great high scoring game. Well played by both teams

Comment

I'm really looking forward to the Fresno St. - Michigan St. game. I'm a big Fresno and Carr fan, i really like MSU too, chould be a good game.

Comment

Ga Tech Yellow Jackets just stung the #11 team in the nation Stanford 24-14. Great defensive job by Ga Tech. Stanford looked confused on most every drive.

What to look for in the Texas - Washington game is the Huskies O against the Texas D.

Also, keep an eye on these two players from Texas:

Roy Williams - Sophmore WR
          Quentin Jammer - Senior DB

Jammer is the best secondary player in college football this year. Roy Williams is a Lynn Swann look alike.
          Last edited by txramsfan; -12-27-2001, 05:44 PM.

Comment

i saw some of that game, i have a hard time getting into these early games. I got the Independence Bowl on now and it's 14-13 with 1:42 so i'll probably watch the rest of this. The Bowls are getting better but there's still too many of them...

Comment

Great ending to Major Applewhite's career at Texas. What a fourth quarter. Major dosen't have the arm strength to make it in the NFL, but he has more heart than Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and Cris Carter put together plus some.

Tell me this, why is Cincinnati and Toledo playing in a bowl game?

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan

Tell me this, why is Cincinnati and Toledo playing in a bowl game?
                Toledo can actuallly ball ... check out Chester Taylor. He is a very fluid "natural" RB that , if drafted by the right team, could prosper in that " Ronnie Harmon, Travis Minor 3rd back plus a little bit more" role. Nice footwork, soft hands and a pretty good blocker, as well.

Anyone see the clock mismanagement by UGA ??? That's twice this year ........ the dangers of a first year HC ........... Richt will do really well there, though ........ growing pains ........

Comment

Toledo deserves to be in a bowl game after winning their conference from Marshall. I didn't think Cincinnati deserved it until now as they are beating the Rockets pretty easily.

The coach at Toledo has done a good job and should keep them competitive for a while.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Aries51
                    Some Bowl Results
                    by Aries51
                    Better late than never....

Heres a few Bowl results:

Rose Bowl

Miami 37 Nebraska 14

Orange Bowl

Florida 56 Maryland 23

Sugar Bowl

LSU 47 Illinois 34

Fiesta Bowl

Oregon 38 Colorado 16

Gator Bowl

Florida State 30 Virginia Tech 17

Cotton Bowl

Oklahoma 10 Arkansas 3

Citrus Bowl

Tennessee 45 Michigan 17

Peach Bowl

North Carolina 16 Auburn 10

Holiday Bowl

Texas 47 Washington 43

For more results go to: http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls01/index.html

:angryram: GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!:shield:
                    -01-05-2002, 11:23 AM
                  • RamsFan16
                    Iowa Hawkeyes and Florida Gators Invited to Outback Bowl
                    by RamsFan16
                    http://www.outbackbowl.com/pressbox/...tml?release=93

December 04, 2005

Iowa Hawkeyes and Florida Gators Invited to Outback Bowl

Tampa, FL -- Outback Bowl officials extended an invitation today to 16th ranked University of Florida and No. 25 University of Iowa to play in Tampa on January 2nd. The game will be a rematch of the 2004 bowl and only the third time the two programs have played each other.

“We are elated to have these two quality teams in the Outback Bowl,” stated Bowl Chairman Bruce Poli. “The Tampa, St Pete, Clearwater area will roll-out the hospitality for the Iowa and Florida teams and their fans.”

“We are delighted beyond words to playing in the 2006 Outback Bowl. It’s a testament to everyone connected with Iowa football, including our fans, that we have been selected again by this prestigious bowl. Our thanks go out to Jim McVay and everyone on the bowl committee for their confidence in our program. We look forward to playing an outstanding, and well coached, Florida team in another great January Outback Bowl game.”

“We are delighted to accept the invitation to represent the Big Ten Conference in the Outback Bowl,” said Iowa Athletic Director Bob Bowlsby. “Our institution had a tremendous experience when we competed against Florida in the 2004 bowl and we are honored to once again enjoy the hospitality and exceptional competitive environment in Tampa.”

“We are excited about the opportunity to play in the Outback Bowl to play a very talented and well coached Iowa team,” said Florida head coach Urban Meyer. “We are thrilled to accept an invitation to the Outback Bowl and we appreciate the opportunity provided to us by the Outback Bowl Committee," said Florida Athletics Director Jeremy Foley. "The Tampa and St. Petersburg area has a large and passionate Gator following. We are looking forward to enjoying a great week of hospitality and having the chance to play in an outstanding Bowl game.”

“This match-up is a tremendous way to celebrate the Outback Bowls 20th anniversary game,” said Bowl President / CEO Jim McVay. “There will be an electric atmosphere around this game and we look forward to hosting the teams and about forty thousand out of town visitors.” “We are confident that these two outstanding teams will match-up well and expect the Hawkeyes and Gators will be an exciting game until the final whistle,” added Team Selection Committee Chairman Mitch Shriber.

The Outback Bowl is celebrating its 20th anniversary and will kickoff at 11 A.M. (ET) on January 2nd in Raymond James Stadium. The game is telecast internationally on ESPN TV. Tickets to the Outback Bowl are $60 each and are available at Ticketmaster outlets throughout Florida, via phone at (813) 287-8844 and online at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets will also be available through the Iowa and Florida ticket offices. Information...
                    -12-04-2005, 10:11 PM
                  • DJRamFan
                    FSU to battle West Virginia hard in Gator Bowl appearance
                    by DJRamFan
                    Dec. 31, 2004
                    SportsLine.com wire reports

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Florida State's Chris Rix and West Virginia's Rasheed Marshall met at a children's hospital during a recent Gator Bowl function.

Advertisement

They talked about getting thrust into the spotlight long ago as freshmen, Rix's California roots and their mutual respect.

They'd rather be at a more prestigious postseason game, frankly. But their teams, preseason favorites in their respective conferences, couldn't secure Bowl Championship Series berths.

So the two athletic quarterbacks hope to ease the hurt by ending recent postseason futility in the Gator Bowl on Saturday.

"When you first hear what bowl you're going to, and it's not a BCS game, sure, guys are letting down," Rix said. "But after having a week of practice, our guys have a perspective: 'Hey, if we're going to play this game, we're going to give it our all and make sure we win."'

That would avoid an unprecedented third straight bowl loss for the 17th-ranked Seminoles (8-3), who were second to Virginia Tech in the Atlantic Coast Conference and haven't finished in the Top 10 since the 2000 season.

Florida State's Bobby Bowden will face his former school for the first time since the 1982 Gator Bowl. He can earn his 19th bowl win, which would bring him within one of the NCAA record held by Penn State's Joe Paterno.

"Everybody would love to go out of the year with a win and go into the next year with momentum. It's something your kids can build off of," Bowden said.

"But it's not a disaster. It's not like, 'Oh man, everything's lost.' We've lost bowl games before and our best recruiting year followed. Then we've had years when we won a bowl game and didn't recruit all that well."

Three years ago, Rix led the Seminoles to a Gator Bowl win over Virginia Tech as a freshman, throwing for 326 yards and two scores while running for another TD.

Rix was Bowden's first four-year starter at quarterback, but he's thrown just two touchdowns this season and will be making only his fifth start, getting the nod ahead of sophomore Wyatt Sexton.

Rix's "career was kind of up and down and he gave it everything he had," Bowden said. "You could describe it 'feast or famine."'

Marshall was the Big East's offensive player of the year after throwing for 1,755 yards and 18 touchdowns while rushing for 790 yards and four scores.

The Mountaineers were expected to be the runaway winner in a revamped Big East, which lost Miami and Virginia Tech to the ACC.

Advertisement

West Virginia (8-3) started the season at No. 10 and rose to as high as sixth before falling out of the rankings with consecutive...
                    -12-31-2004, 03:03 PM
                  • DJRamFan
                    UAB accepts first bowl invitation
                    by DJRamFan
                    UAB takes Hawaii Bowl invitation

Blazers accept first bowl invitation

Nov. 28, 2004

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - Alabama-Birmingham accepted an invitation Sunday to play in the Dec. 24 Hawaii Bowl, the team's first trip to a postseason bowl.

The announcement came after Saturday's 26-21 loss to Southern Mississippi.

The UAB Blazers (7-4, 5-3 in Conference USA), will meet an opponent still to be determined.

"This first bowl game for our program is special, not only for our current players, but also for all the other guys from past years who played a part in getting us started," coach and athletic director Watson Brown said in a statement.

The team has played at the Division I-A level since 1996.
                    -11-29-2004, 01:17 PM
                  • RedArcher7
                    Pro Bowl will be in Miami, week before Super Bowl in 2010
                    by RedArcher7
                    Pro Bowl will be in Miami, week before Super Bowl in 2010 - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Miami is going to be making a crazy amount of money in a month. Obviously players on teams in the Super Bowl won't be playing. Will that disqualify them from be labeled probowlers? Probowlers are named week 16, so I assume not, there's just gonna be some alternatives going I guess. Poor Hawaii, got nothing after my Irish beat the Warriors. Nothing football wise anyway...
                    -12-29-2008, 04:59 PM
                  Working...
                  X