X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Noles to start Weatherford over fellow freshman Lee at QB

Aug. 31, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Redshirt freshman Drew Weatherford will start at quarterback for No. 14 Florida State in the season opener Monday against No. 9 Miami.

Advertisement

Weatherford beat out fellow redshirt freshman Xavier Lee for the job.

"It looked from about the third scrimmage on that Drew would be the guy you'd start," Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said Wednesday. "He has all the tools to be an outstanding quarterback."

Bowden said he considered Weatherford the starter and Lee, possibly, the closer.

"I want both of them practicing with a number one mentality," Bowden said.

The veteran coach said he expected Weatherford and Lee would battle throughout the season for playing time.

"They will continue this competition," he said. "This is not a season-ending contest."

Drew Weatherford will learn quickly what it's like playing top competition. (AP)
    The competition at quarterback came down to the two inexperienced passers when Wyatt Sexton was lost for the season to Lyme disease. Sexton started seven games a year ago.

Weatherford played one play last season, spraining his ankle against North Carolina in the fourth game of the season. He had surgery on it this spring, but has been healthy throughout August.

Lee has been troubled by a sore arm, but Bowden said Wednesday that Lee's arm is now fine.

Miami coach Larry Coker said Wednesday his team is prepared to face either quarterback.

"I think it's a good possibility we'll see both," Coker said.

Miami will also go with a first-time starter in redshirt sophomore Kyle Wright.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Weatherford threw for 401 yards in one scrimmage, connecting with a dozen different receivers.

"I've been steady, consistent," Weatherford said about his practices and scrimmages during August. "I think that's what they want."

The last time a Florida State quarterback debuted against Miami was 20 years ago when freshman Chip Ferguson made his first collegiate appearance in a 35-27 loss to the Hurricanes. Ferguson completed 14-of-28 passes for 158 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
    Despite Miami pain, Bowden says he's staying with Rix
    by DJRamFan
    Sept. 13, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Chris Rix will remain Florida State's starting quarterback despite a dreadful performance in last week's loss at Miami.

Advertisement

Coach Bobby Bowden announced his decision at a booster luncheon on Monday.

Rix, who is Bowden's first-ever four-year starter, became Division I-A's only quarterback to go 0-5 against the same school after failing to lead the offense to a touchdown in Friday night's loss at the Orange Bowl.

"I thought about it all night and all the next day and all the next night and talked it over with our coaches and everything," Bowden said after practice Monday night. "We felt like he's really got the kids behind him.

"Four years ago (the players) were not behind him. I think the wise thing to do is start him and see if he can't get back to his old self."

Rix completed 12 of 28 passes for 108 yards, threw two interceptions and lost two fumbles, including a critical one in overtime in the 16-10 loss. He ranks 10th in the Atlantic Coast Conference's passing statistics with a 61.0 efficiency ranking.

"It's way too early to panic," added Bowden, who has spent most of the past three autumns defending Rix, now 24-11 in four seasons leading the Seminoles, who dropped from No. 4 to 8 in the latest media poll. "It's not time."

Bowden was quick to remind Florida State fans in the audience that the Seminoles ran the table in 1988 after losing their opener to Miami. Florida State finished No. 3 in the AP rankings that season.

"We've been there before," Bowden said. "The only thing that game the other night proved was we're not going to have a perfect season."

Bowden also has few alternatives as no other quarterback on the Seminoles roster has ever started a game or seen any significant playing time. Backup Wyatt Sexton was 3-of-5 for 45 yards in limited mop-up duty last season.

However, Bowden conceded he had thought about playing the 6-foot-3, 205-pound Sexton, the top student on the team and the son of running backs coach Billy Sexton.

Fabian Walker, who had backed up Rix the previous two seasons, transferred to Valdosta State over the summer. However, Bowden conceded he had thought about playing the 6-foot-3, 205-pound Sexton, a 4.0 student and the son of running backs coach Billy Sexton.

"We definitely need to get him some action," Bowden said.

Bowden hopes to redshirt freshman quarterbacks Xavier Lee and Drew Weatherford.

Next up is Alabama-Birmingham, a team that crushed Baylor 56-14 in its opener and has Bowden more than a little worried.

"It's a good time to play Florida State -- after Miami,"...
    -09-14-2004, 07:34 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Weatherford pulls ahead in battle to be Florida State's QB
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 23, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State quarterback Drew Weatherford took a big step toward becoming the starter with an impressive performance in the team's scrimmage while a sore shoulder forced Xavier Lee to cut his work short after just three passes.

Advertisement

The favorite entering fall practice, Lee had completed just four passes in the team's two previous scrimmages.

"I'm just going to keep saying they're (both) No. 1, but you can see what's happening," Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said Tuesday. "You can see as good as I can what's happening. But to me they're both still No. 1."

Weatherford completed 21-of-34 passes for 401 yards Tuesday and led the offense to a touchdown.

"(Today) definitely gave me a lot more confidence and I am sure it does the same for our offensive line, receivers and backs," Weatherford said. "(It's good) to know that we don't have to rely on the run and that we can throw the ball and make plays that way as well."

Pat Watkins did pick off Weatherford twice, returning the first for a 79-yard touchdown.

"A guy needs some success and (Weatherford) had some today," Bowden said. "Both of them are getting better and better because they are so doggone young."

Weatherford took most of the repetitions after Lee was sidelined with a sore shoulder eight snaps into the scrimmage. Lee finished 1-of-3 for eight yards.

Lee, who has been bothered by his shoulder for the past few days, underwent an MRI earlier in the week that revealed no significant damage. It is uncertain whether Lee will participate in the final scrimmage Friday evening.

AP NEWS

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-24-2005, 08:06 PM
  • Nick
    FSU's Weatherford beats out Lee for starting QB job
    by Nick
    Seminoles to Start Redshirt Freshman at QB

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Redshirt freshman Drew Weatherford will start at quarterback for No. 14 Florida State in the season opener Monday against No. 9 Miami.

Weatherford beat out fellow redshirt freshman Xavier Lee for the job.

"It looked from about the third scrimmage on that Drew would be the guy you'd start," Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said Wednesday. "He has all the tools to be an outstanding quarterback."

Bowden said he considered Weatherford the starter and Lee, possibly, the closer.

"I want both of 'em practicing with a number one mentality," Bowden said.

The veteran coach said he expected Weatherford and Lee would battle throughout the season for playing time.

"They will continue this competition," he said. "This is not a season-ending contest."

The competition at quarterback came down to the two inexperienced passers when Wyatt Sexton was lost for the season to Lyme disease.

Weatherford played one play last season, spraining his ankle against North Carolina in the fourth game of the season. He had surgery on it this spring, but has been healthy throughout August, while Lee has been troubled with a sore arm.

Bowden said Wednesday that Lee's arm is now fine.
    -09-03-2005, 01:09 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Injured hip might keep Purdue QB Orton out of Iowa game
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 2, 2004

INDIANAPOLIS -- Purdue quarterback Kyle Orton is questionable for Saturday's game against Iowa with an injured left hip.

Advertisement

Orton was injured in last week's 13-10 loss at Northwestern. He was benched for backup Brandon Kirsch in the third quarter, partly because he was injured and partly because he was ineffective.

Purdue coach Joe Tiller said Tuesday he is in no hurry to announce a starter for Saturday.

"We could hold it as long as game time," Tiller said. "We will delay the decision as long as possible."

Orton said he was feeling much better Tuesday than he was against Northwestern, and he thought he would be ready to go for the game in his home state.

"You look at the progress I've made from Saturday until now, it's a lot better," he said. "If I can play and help the team, then I'm going to play through some pain. But I'm not going to be out there and hurting the team this week."

After spearheading Purdue's best start since 1945, the one-time Heisman hopeful's play has fallen off. Orton was just 15-for-33 for 143 yards, a touchdown and an interception last week against Northwestern, Purdue's third straight loss.

Orton was the prime reason the Boilermakers started the season 5-0, completing nearly 70 percent of his passes for 1,642 yards, 18 touchdowns and two interceptions.

Over the past three games -- all Purdue defeats -- he has completed just 50 percent of his passes for 591 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions.

"It's been three rough weeks," Orton said. "It seems like everything's kind of falling apart a little bit."

AP NEWS

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -11-02-2004, 04:32 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Mississippi State QB Conner out three weeks with knee injury
    by DJRamFan
    Sept. 27, 2004

JACKSON, Miss. -- Mississippi State quarterback Omarr Conner will miss at least three weeks after spraining a ligament in his right knee in a 51-0 loss to LSU on Saturday.

Mississippi State coach Sylvester Croom said Monday that tests showed Conner sprained his medial collateral ligament and won't return before the Bulldogs' home game against No. 16 Florida on Oct. 23.

"That's the earliest we can get him back," Croom said.

With Conner out, junior Kyle York will start Saturday against Vanderbilt. Because York's shoulder is not 100 percent after offseason surgery, freshman Mike Henig will also play.

Conner, who played receiver last season for the Bulldogs (1-3, 0-2 Southeastern Conference) is 50-of-89 for 509 yards with two touchdowns and four interceptions this season. York is 13-of-27 for 132 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions in three appearances.

AP NEWS

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -09-28-2004, 08:24 AM
Working...
X