X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnovers Bite Huskies at Michigan

No. 4 Michigan 33, Northern Illinois 17

Sept. 3, 2005

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) - Michigan made Northern Illinois pay for its mistakes, using turnovers to turn a competitive game into a lopsided win.

Mike Hart ran for 117 yards and a scored two touchdowns, and the fourth-ranked Wolverines took advantage of five Northern Illinois giveaways to beat the Huskies 33-17 on Saturday.

A season after leading the nation by losing only one fumble, the Huskies lost four fumbles and threw an interception while the Wolverines turned it over only once.

"If you win the turnover battle, statistics say you win 79 percent of the time," Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said. "If the turnovers were 1-1, the score would've been much different."

The Wolverines led just 14-10 early in the second quarter before scoring 19 straight points in the opener for both schools.

The Huskies ran for 211 yards and threw for 200, but they were doomed by the turnovers and a blocked field goal.

"I honestly thought we had a shot if we didn't turn it over," said coach Joe Novak, who has built Northern Illinois into a mid-major power after it lost 23 straight from 1996-98.

Michigan's Chad Henne was 20-of-31 for 227 yards and two TD passes. Jason Avant had nine receptions for 127 yards and a score. Hart had 27 carries and ran for more than 100 yards for the sixth time in his last eight games. He also caught four passes for 49 yards.

The Wolverines scored TDs on their first three drives, missed a field goal on their fourth and led 27-10 at halftime after converting 8 of 10 third downs.

"Offensively, we played as well in the first half as any team since I've been at Michigan," said Carr, in his 11th year as head coach.

Adrian Arrington, Michigan's promising No. 3 receiver, was carted off the field with ice packed on his right ankle after he returned a kickoff early in the second quarter. Carr said he's going to miss some time, but didn't elaborate.

Garrett Wolfe had 17 carries for 148 yards and a TD for the Huskies, but his fumble in the second quarter was the first of their turnovers.

"With my fumble, everything started to turn around," he said. "The game started to go downhill for us."

Phil Horvath was 17-of-25 for 200 yards with an interception and a fumble.

Northern Illinois had some success against the Wolverines' high-powered offense, but not when it counted most on third downs.

Michigan opened with a 14-play drive - converting four third downs - ending with Avant's leaping 4-yard catch in the corner of the end zone.

The Huskies responded with a 16-play possession, but they missed their first of many opportunities by stalling at the 7 and settling for a field goal.

On Hart's 34-yard TD reception, he caught a screen pass, ran over a linebacker outweighing him by 50 pounds and sprinted past the Huskies down the sideline.

"I knew Mike was fast, but he surprised me with his power when I saw him run that dude over," said former teammate Marlin Jackson, an Indianapolis Colts rookie.

Wolfe scored on a 76-yard run two plays later to make it 14-10 early in the second quarter.

Hart's 2-yard dive over a pile of linemen put the Wolverines ahead 20-10.

Wolfe ruined a strong drive with a fumble at Michigan's 13.

After the Wolverines' next drive, Shatone Powers fumbled on a punt return, giving them the ball at Northern Illinois 14. Kevin Grady's 1-yard dive put Michigan ahead 27-10 with 27 seconds left in the half.

"The fumble at the end of the first half - that 14-point swing - was a killer," Novak said.

The Huskies' misfortune continued in the second half as they had a field goal blocked on their first drive.

After stuffing Grady on a fourth-and-1, Jake Nordin's fumble gave Michigan the ball back. Horvath's high pass was intercepted by Leon Hall on the Huskies' next possession, and Horvath fumbled the next time they had the ball.

Garrett Rivas' two field goals early in the fourth quarter gave the Wolverines a 33-10 lead before A.J. Harris scored a late touchdown for Northern Illinois.

"I'm disappointed with how we played" Novak said.

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
    Syracuse Buffaloes Bulls
    by DJRamFan
    Syracuse 31, Buffalo 0

Sept. 10, 2005

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - Damien Rhodes ran for 236 yards and scored four touchdowns, leading Syracuse to a 31-0 victory over Buffalo on Saturday for Greg Robinson's first win as coach of the Orange.

The Bulls (0-2) were shut out for the third straight game dating back to last season. They lost 38-0 at Connecticut last week in their season opener and also were beaten 29-0 by the Huskies in the 2004 season finale.

Rhodes' rushing total was 16 yards shy of the school record of 252 yards by Joe Morris against Kansas in 1979 and 5 yards off the Carrier Dome mark set two years ago by Walter Reyes against Central Florida.

Rhodes gained 216 yards on 19 carries and scored three times in the first half to help the Orange (1-1) take a 24-0 halftime lead. He scored on runs of 27, 50, and 54 yards, the last one alone equaling the Bulls' offensive production for the half.

Buffalo never seriously threatened to score in the game and finished with 123 yards on offense.

Syracuse went ahead 7-0 late in the first quarter, despite some early rumbling from the home crowd. The jeers came after 6-foot-4 quarterback Perry Patterson, ineffective in last week's 15-7 loss to West Virginia, had a pass batted away on a second-down play, but the junior quickly regrouped.

After scrambling 10 yards for a first down, Patterson hit tight end Tom Ferron for 30 yards down the right side. Rhodes followed Ferron's first career catch with a 27-yard touchdown run.

A year ago, Buffalo threw a scare into the Orange, taking a 10-3 lead in the first quarter before Syracuse scored 34 straight points and won 37-17 at Buffalo. There was no scare on this day - the Bulls drove past midfield only three times and Ben Woods punted 11 times for the second straight week.

After Buffalo failed to gain a first down after Syracuse's scoring drive, a high snap caused a short punt by Woods and the Orange took over at midfield. On third-and-10, Rhodes broke free over left tackle and raced untouched into the end zone with 12:15 left in the half for a 14-0 lead.

Ricky Krautman added a 21-yard field goal for the Orange midway through the second quarter before Rhodes struck again.

After the Bulls moved into Syracuse territory for the first time on runs of 11 and 25 yards by quarterback Stewart Sampsel, Orange safety Anthony Smith made his second interception of the game and Syracuse took over at its own 27.

Rhodes gained 19 yards on consecutive runs and followed with a 54-yard sprint up the middle on the next play. He scored his final touchdown on a 1-yard run early in the third quarter and sat out the fourth.

Buffalo defensive tackle Rob Schroeder blocked a field goal attempt by Krautman early in the second...
    -09-11-2005, 01:28 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Fresno State dominates Big 12 champs in shocking rout
    by DJRamFan
    Sept. 11, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports
    MANHATTAN, Kan. -- In 2001, Fresno State made a run at breaking into the Bowl Championship Series by beating big-name teams.

The Bulldogs are at it again.

Fresno State's 45-21 upset of No. 13 Kansas State was its second victory over a team from a BCS conference in seven days -- and their seventh since the BCS was established in 1999.

With the big payday a BCS bowl guarantees, perhaps it's fitting that coach Pat Hill used a poker metaphor to describe his team's situation.

"We are still at the main table," Hill said. "We were all in. We picked up all their chips, and now we've got a bigger pile -- and next week we'll go all in again."

Fresno State (2-0) didn't have to catch many breaks against the Wildcats, either. After giving up an early touchdown on Bret Jones' 42-yard interception return, they dominated the defending Big 12 Conference champions the rest of the game.

Bulldogs running back Dwayne Wright scored two touchdowns before tearing a tendon in his right knee in the fourth quarter, sidelining him for the season.

Advertisement

Bryson Sumlin was originally credited with Wright's second touchdown, but Kansas State officials gave the TD to Wright after reviewing the tape.

Paul Pinegar threw two touchdown passes to Matt Rivera and ran for another score, and Sumlin added one TD run in Fresno State's biggest win over a ranked team -- and the Wildcats' worst regular-season nonconference loss in 13 years.

"I've been here for 16 years," Kansas State coach Bill Snyder said. "You can remember some of the 1-10 and 5-6 (seasons). We never had a football team that just got beat up as badly as we did today."

The Bulldogs' 45 points were the most given up by the Wildcats in a regular-season nonconference game since a 56-3 loss to Washington in 1991. Fresno State's previous most decisive win over a ranked team was a 44-24 defeat of Oregon State, then ranked 10th, in 2001.

That season the Bulldogs, from the Western Athletic Conference, also knocked off Colorado and Wisconsin on the road.

Kansas State (1-1) led 7-0 before it took a snap, but the Wildcats couldn't do much right after Jones' defensive touchdown less than 3 minutes into the game. They had only 2 yards of offense in the first quarter and trailed 31-14 at the half.

Fresno State's defense, which scored three times in last Sunday's 35-16 win at Washington, held Kansas State star Darren Sproles to 37 yards on 11 carries and forced two key turnovers.

"We realized that if we stopped him, it would be no contest," said cornerback Richard Marshall, who set up a touchdown with a third-quarter interception. "We knew the only person they have...
    -09-13-2004, 01:24 PM
  • DJRamFan
    No. 1 USC sets Pac-10 record for consecutive wins
    by DJRamFan
    By Kevin Merfeld Daily Trojan
    Los Angeles, CA (U-WIRE) -- For a half, USC looked flatter than a week-old Coca-Cola.

But by the end of the fourth quarter, the Trojans looked refreshed and relieved, sneaking away with a 38-28 victory over No. 14 Arizona State.

No. 1 USC (4-0, 2-0 Pacific-10 Conference) overcame a 21-3 first-half hole and three lead changes in the fourth quarter Saturday afternoon in front of a sell-out crowd of 71,706 in 95 degree heat at Sun Devil Stadium to win a Pac-10 record 26th game in a row.

"We were on a torrid pace for destruction in the first quarter," said USC coach Pete Carroll, whose team was held without a touchdown in the first half for the first time since playing Utah in the 2001 Las Vegas Bowl.

"They were in total command in the first half."

After a start reminiscent of last week's game at Oregon, last year's game at Stanford and the Trojans' last loss at California, USC awoke from its coma and outscored the Sun Devils 35-7 to close the game, running for 373 yards in the process.

Running back LenDale White led the Trojans with 19 carries for 197 yards and two touchdowns, including the game-icing score from 46 yards out with two minutes and 22 seconds left in the game to give USC a 10-point cushion.

White's partner in crime, running back Reggie Bush, ran for 158 yards on 17 carries and scored the game-winning touchdown from 34 yards away with 3:44 remaining in the fourth quarter.

"We were just pounding the ball," Bush said. "LenDale went in there and broke them up and I went in and ran around them. They were getting tired. I could see it in their faces."

The late-game heroics were necessary after the Trojans committed eight of their 11 penalties in the first quarter, gave up a punt return for a touchdown, converted just 2-of-10 third-down conversions in the first half and had an uncharacteristically challenging time throwing the ball.

"We certainly understand that close doesn't count, but USC is a heck of a football team and you have to give them credit," said Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter, whose team held the Trojans to a season-low 38 points.

After the Sun Devils (3-2, 1-1) gave up their 18-point lead and fell behind by three with less than nine minutes in the fourth quarter, they battled to take the lead for a second time when Sam Keller found tight end Lee Burghraef from one yard out. The drive capped off their longest of the game, a 70-yard march on 10 plays that took two minutes and 49 seconds.

But USC responded with a five-play, 80-yard drive of its own that took just 2:13 to give it the lead, 31-28.

"This team will go through hell and back before it takes a loss," said linebacker Oscar Lua, whose interception...
    -10-03-2005, 05:20 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Greene becomes Georgia's winningest QB in rout of Vanderbilt
    by DJRamFan
    Oct. 16, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports
    ATHENS, Ga. -- Except for one series, David Greene played about as well as he can for Georgia.

It helps to have a pair of 100-yard runners in the backfield -- and Vanderbilt on the opposite side of the line.

Greene passed for two touchdowns and ran for another, leading the 12th-ranked Bulldogs to a 33-3 rout of lowly Vanderbilt on Saturday.

Greene found plenty of room to pass when the Commodores began crowding the line, trying without much success to stop Georgia's freshmen running backs.

Danny Ware rushed for 127 yards and Thomas Brown had 122, including a touchdown. They were the first pair of Bulldog runners to go over 100 yards in the same game since Garrison Hearst and Mack Strong in 1992.

"That's big," Ware said. "We want to do that every game."

The Bulldogs (5-1, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) bounced back from their first loss of the season, a 19-14 setback to Tennessee.

Advertisement

Greene became just the fifth player in SEC history to pass for 10,000 yards in his career. He also picked up his 37th victory, breaking a tie with College Football Hall of Famer Johnny Rauch as the winningest quarterback in Georgia history.

"Wins are the thing," said Greene, just two wins away from Peyton Manning's NCAA record. "For a quarterback, that's what you're always going to be judged by. Wins mean more to me than anything else."

The left-hander has struggled much of the season, coming into the game as only the ninth-rated quarterback in the SEC. But Greene had the right opponent to pad his numbers.

Vanderbilt (1-5, 1-3) is only one defeat from its 22nd straight losing season. Georgia piled up a season-high 527 yards, holding the Commodores to just 187.

Greene played seven possessions in the game, leading the Bulldogs to four touchdowns and a field goal, while another drive reached Vandy territory before stalling.

The only time Greene looked out of sync was when he threw three straight incompletions late in the second quarter.

"I felt like I played great except for one drive," he said.

Greene completed 14 of 21 for 191 yards, including a pair of touchdowns in the third quarter that put the game out of reach.

Georgia scored on its first two possessions and led 16-3 at halftime. The Bulldogs followed the same script in the second half.

Greene finished off an eight-play, 80-yard drive with a 22-yard pass to Leonard Pope, the first touchdown of the sophomore's career and a 23-3 lead.

On Georgia's next possession, Greene faced fourth-and-2 at the Vandy 38. He faked a handoff and lofted a perfect pass to Reggie Brown, who beat cornerback Bill Alford in...
    -10-16-2004, 03:42 PM
  • DJRamFan
    I-AA Wrapup: Shakedown Saturday
    by DJRamFan
    Changes in the elite are emerging

Oct. 3, 2004

By David Coulson, Senior Columnist, I-AA.org
    Special to CollegeSports.com from I-AA.org

As a youngster, I used to watch reruns of Star Trek every day after school. And I always wondered what it would be like to have Scotty's transporter in my house.

Just think about how cool it would be to quickly beam yourself from one place to another.

I could have used that device on Saturday to keep track of some great matchups in I-AA football -- matchups that will have obvious repercussions on the NCAA playoffs in the next month and a half.

I would have started my journey by beaming to Tubby Raymond Field for the Delaware-Maine showdown in the Atlantic 10. As it was, I had to settle for watching the No. 4 Blue Hens and No. 8 Black Bears play a instant classic on my trusty, though less flashy VCR.

This was a game that many thought would be a defensive struggle, but instead the two teams combined for 81 points and 954 yards of total offense.

Delaware, which had showed almost no offensive consistency this season, jumped to a 20-0 lead early in the second quarter and had beaten its best scoring output of the season by the middle of the second period with a 27-7 advantage.

Maine, which usually likes to control the ball on the ground behind big, senior tailback Marcus Williams, was forced to almost completely abandon its rushing attack and came charging back behind the arm of sophomore quarterback Ron Whitcomb.

Whitcomb completed 22-of-40 passes for 310 yards and three touchdowns, two of the scoring aerials to Christian Pereira (nine catches for 143 yards).

When Whitcomb connected with Pereira on a 10-yard scoring strike early in the fourth quarter, the Black Bears pulled within 37-35 and Mike Mellow's 21-yard field goal finally gave Maine the lead with 7:12 to play, 38-37.

But Saturday was the day that Delaware quarterback Sonny Riccio finally arrived. Much was expected when Riccio transferred last spring from Missouri to fill the void left by the graduation loss of I-AA.Org offensive player of the year Andy Hall.

Riccio struggled in his first three games as a Blue Hen, games that included a loss to New Hampshire and two unimpressive wins over Towson and Division II West Chester.

But Riccio hit 33-of-51 passes for 415 yards and a 28-yard touchdown and added a 12-yard scoring run against Maine. And he led Delaware on a clutch drive that resulted in a last-minute, game-winning touchdown.

As soon as the gun sounded in Newark, Del., I would have been ready to say: "Scotty, beam me to Carbondale, Ill. for the Southern Illinois-Northern Iowa showdown."

It looked for a half like it would be another week for the curse...
    -10-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Working...
X