Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing up Lloyd as No. 1

by Craig Massei - SFIllustrated.com

This is reality, folks: As of this very moment, the young and precocious Brandon Lloyd is the *****' No. 1 receiver. Rashaun Woods, Cedrick Wilson and Curtis Conway are the only guys who could change that number this season, which is another way of saying it's not going to happen. So how does the inexperienced Lloyd stack up as a No. 1? Well, after perusing his newly-defined physique to go along with his already defined skills, perhaps a lot better than most would think.

When Lloyd began catching notice during the second half of last season with a run of spectacular catches, coaches and teammates and even Lloyd himself began grousing about how the slender rookie needed to get bigger and stronger to become a legitimate receiving threat and fulfill the NFL destiny that awaited him.

That destiny arrived a little sooner than expected after 2003 starting receivers Terrell Owens and Tai Streets vacated the premises during the offseason, and the Niners slid back in the first round of the draft to take the seventh receiver selected - Woods - before making Conway their only veteran free-agent acquisition during the offseason.

Woods and Conway both will help the Niners at receiver this season. But neither is in Lloyd's category at this point as far as ability to make plays and importance to San Francisco's passing system.

When a refreshed Lloyd appeared during the team's first minicamp in early May, he no longer was the rawboned rookie who spread 185 pounds across his 6-foot frame. Lloyd had a new cord of muscle running from shoulder to shoulder, and there was thickness in areas that used to be thin.

Lloyd said he "put on about seven pounds from last season" and none of it is wasted weight. "I'm up to 192," he said. "It was a lot of hard work and I'm feeling good now. The (extra muscle) feels real good. I'm going to have more of an increased role, so that's going to be imperative so I can take more shots, take more hits and be able to recover quickly."

Increased role? Make that the No. 1 role, Brandon. You're the top target now.

Lloyd handled the role effortlessly during the spring, running routes like a skilled veteran and twisting in the air to make catches like a special athlete. The instinctive, gyrating ability possessed by Lloyd always has allowed him to cushion and absorb hits from bigger players, but now the added size will help in that area, too.

And anybody who says Lloyd's still not big enough to handle a No. 1 role isn't taking a good enough look around the league.

In a game that's now gravitating toward bigger receivers, Lloyd is equal in stature to two of the NFL's elite receivers - St. Louis' Torry Holt and Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison. In fact, Lloyd probably goes about 10 pounds heavier than Harrison now. Lloyd compares favorably in size to St. Louis' Isaac Bruce (one of Lloyd's idols) and other top receiving playmakers such as Washington's Laveranues Coles and Tennessee's Derrick Mason.

And he's bigger than New York's Santana Moss, New England's Troy Brown, Green Bay's Donald Driver and Carolina's Steve Smith. We point out those names to illustrate that smaller receivers can be successful as No. 1 receiving options at this level.

Of course, size isn't everything. Skill and talent and passion and performance count for just as much, and by the looks of things this spring, Lloyd already is stocked pretty well in those departments.

Now he's just looking to develop steady production over time. When asked this spring if it was important to assert himself as the primary receiver on this team, Lloyd considered the inquiry for a moment, then stared down the question.

"No, just to assert myself as a consistent receiver," Lloyd replied. "Once I establish myself, establish consistency, then everything will come along with that."

Re: Sizing up Lloyd as No. 1

If I would be stuck with Brandon Lloyd at number 1, that would really suck.

Comment

Re: Sizing up Lloyd as No. 1

Originally posted by txramsfan
      If I would be stuck with Brandon Lloyd at number 1, that would really suck.
      If I were Brandon Lloyd, that would really suck. :smile:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• CanadaRam
        B. Lloyd?
        by CanadaRam
        Its about and hour and a half away from FA so I'm board and looking to kill the time. I know Lloyd is described as a Locker Room issue, but Fisher doesn't seem to mind those as he can keep them in check. Lloyd had good chemistry with Sammy B in 2011, and he would be better (more proven at least) than anyone else on the roster currently.

Oh also NE want him gone, Bolden got a 6th, should be able to get Lloyd for a 7th. Would you want to go down this road??
        -03-12-2013, 11:34 AM
      • Tampa_Ram
        Some facts about Lloyd from SI
        by Tampa_Ram
        Lloyd had a breakout season in 2010, his eighth in the NFL. He had 18 catches of 25 yards or more and posted the third-highest receiving average (18.8 yards) since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 after a mostly nondescript career in San Francisco, Washington, Chicago and Denver, where he played in two games in 2009.

Even at 30, Lloyd is one of the most athletic players in the NFL and is widely considered the receiver with the best hands in football.

Last year Tebow started 3 games, during that stretch, Lloyd caught 14 passes from Tebow for 263 yards and two touchdowns.(amazingly did quite well with Tebow runnin the offense.

Just thought id share. Still not sold on him till he can be a consistent contributer for us. But i really hope he works out, would take a lot of pressure off trying to get a FA wr next year.
        -10-17-2011, 03:05 PM
      • MauiRam
        Lloyd is making an impact with Rams ..
        by MauiRam
        BY JIM THOMAS
        Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:15 am

Brandon Lloyd faked to the inside as if running a post pattern into the end zone. Cleveland cornerback Joe Haden took the bait. Lloyd stopped, changed directions and headed outside toward the right corner of the end zone.

Quarterback Sam Bradford's pass was perfect: touchdown, Rams.

"We worked on that play at lot," Lloyd said. "And Josh (McDaniels) was calling that play a touchdown all week. 'We're gonna score on this. We're gonna score on this.' We repped it a lot to make sure that the timing was down between me and Sam, and the protection was right."

"It's funny," Bradford said. "Because actually Josh told me (Saturday) night that if he called that play to tell Brandon to get ready to do his touchdown dance. He was that confident in it."

If only it was always that easy. Lloyd's 7-yard grab on the first play of the second quarter gave the Rams a 7-3 lead in Cleveland. But it turned out to be the only touchdown of the day for the offensively impaired Rams they wouldn't have beaten the Browns 13-12 without it.

Who knows where the Rams' offense would be without Lloyd, acquired in an Oct. 17 trade with Denver. He became an integral part of the St. Louis passing game the moment he first stepped on the field at Rams Park.

In four games with his new team, Lloyd has 21 catches for 255 yards and two touchdowns. Over a 16-game schedule, that would translate to 84 catches, 1,020 yards and eight TDs. Lloyd saves every football from every TD catch he makes as an NFL player, so he's already added two to his pile as a Ram. Obviously, he hopes to add a few more before the season's out.

"I feel like every ball's catchable, and I want to make a play on everything that comes my way," Lloyd said. "I'm just gonna try to look it in as best I can, and try to pluck it and tuck it and get my foot down."

It may look like his transition to St. Louis has been easy, but that's not really the case.

"I'm trying to be optimistic about it by downplaying the transition," Lloyd said. "But it's been difficult."

In ways that aren't always obvious.

"Getting used to playing in domes I'm not used to that," Lloyd said laughing. "The lighting's different. The ball's darker. It's just a lot of little things that I'm just trying to work through. So on the outside, I look really calm and collected, but on the inside I'm freaking out."

Three of Lloyd's first four games with the Rams were played on the road in open-air venues. But that's about to change. The next two Rams games are at home in the Edward Jones Dome, starting with Sunday's 3:05 p.m. kickoff against Seattle.

Lloyd was acquired for a conditional sixth-round draft...
        -11-16-2011, 12:07 AM
      • LA Rammer
        Rams WR Brandon Lloyd intrigued by Patriots?
        by LA Rammer
        By Mark J. Miller

Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd will soon be a free agent and he's saying that he's open to returning to the St. Louis Rams. But the Boston Herald has it that when Lloyd spoke on PFT Live, "you could almost hear Lloyd light up over the phone" when the subject of the New England Patriots came up. The paper points out the Lloyd has also mentioned previously that he wouldn't mind reuniting with Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

"Yes, I find that very interesting," Lloyd told PFT Live when asked about the Pats, the Herald reports. "I would like to entertain that and see where that goes. There's no bones about that. I've been very successful in Josh McDaniels' offense, I really admire Tom Brady, I admire that organization and how they run things over there, so I'd definitely be interested in hearing how I could possibly fit into that equation."

All the Pats fans that were screaming about Welker dropping that pass in the Super Bowl have got a very good idea of how Lloyd could fit into the equation. He had 966 receiving yards and five touchdowns for the Rams last year.
        -02-21-2012, 07:23 AM
      • sjacksonrules
        Brandon Lloyd
        by sjacksonrules
        Do you think we should we franchise him?

I am going to start off by saying yes. Because if we can get blackmon I see a Holt and Bruce type of setup again. And if we can't we still have someone that can catch the ball.
        Yes
        9.09%
        No
        90.91%
        -02-23-2012, 06:42 AM
      Working...
      X