Vikings: Robinson Being Counted On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vikings: Robinson Being Counted On

Much of the discussion of off-season acquisitions has centered around Antoine Winfield and Kenechi Udeze. But, many around Winter Park believe Marcus Robinson could be the difference maker on offense.

When Mike Tice introduced fans (and defensive coordinators) to the Randy Ratio, he likely didn't envision the kind of season the Vikings would have in 2003.

In the second year since the departure of Cris Carter, the Vikings again failed to adequately replace him. The two guys they brought in to be that player -- Derrick Alexander and D'Wayne Bates -- were awful and eventually both were released. The numbers from last year speak volumes as to why Marcus Robinson will be under the microscope (and hopefully not an arthroscope) this year.

Last year, Moss caught 111 passes -- exactly the same number as the next two leading receivers combined. The problem with that? Those two players were Moe Williams (65 receptions) and Jim Kleinsasser (46).

When it came to other wide receivers, the Vikings were nothing short of awful. Nate Burleson, Kelly Campbell and Bates combined to catch just 69 passes. Robinson alone is expected to catch that many passes -- and likely equal or better the seven touchdowns the three players combined for last year.

Coach Mike Tice and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan were aggressive in going after Robinson, after the Ravens turned their backs when they thought they had Terrell Owens wrapped up. Now is his chance to finally try to help the Vikings put Carter behind them and move ahead in 2004.

Alexander clearly didn't work. Bates simply didn't have the speed or talent to get the job done. While Robinson has some major injury concerns, this will be his chance to erase the bad memories of the last two seasons and get the Vikings moving ahead in the right direction.

VikingsUpdate.com

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    K. Robinson voluntarily back in rehab
    by RamWraith
    Vikings | K. Robinson voluntarily back in rehab
    Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:36:13 -0700

KSTP-TV reports Minnesota Vikings WR Koren Robinson has checked himself into a drug rehabilitation center. Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, confirmed to 5 Eyewitness News that Robinson voluntarily entered the rehabilitation program in late June. Keels says Robinson did nothing wrong, but would not share any more details. The Vikings have not released a statement on the situation yet. If Robinson were found in violation of league policy again, he could face up to a year-long suspension.
    -07-06-2006, 08:08 PM
  • Bruce=GOAT
    Former Vikings WR Koren Robinson gets 90 days in jail
    by Bruce=GOAT
    Former Vikings WR Koren Robinson gets 90 days in jail
    February 20, 2007

ST. PETER, Minn. (AP) -- Former Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Koren Robinson must serve 90 days in jail for fleeing police last August, a prosecutor said.

Robinson was sentenced in Nicollet County Court on Tuesday for leading officers on a high-speed chase this past summer from St. Peter to Mankato during Vikings training camp.

Assistant County Attorney Paul Tanis said Robinson will be on probation for three years. He also must complete 80 hours of community service and pay a $1,500 fine.

Robinson is now with the Green Bay Packers.

Tanis said Robinson must report to the county jail by March 1, although he may serve the 90-day sentence in Wisconsin if he choses to do so.

Robinson can also serve the sentence at the same time he serves 90 days for violating his probation in a separate drunken-driving case in Kirkland, Wash., last year.

Robinson showed remorse in court Tuesday -- saying he's been attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and trying to avoid alcohol.
    -02-20-2007, 12:50 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Syracuse's Robinson Begins Preparation For His First Game As A Head Coach
    by DJRamFan
    Greg Robinson succeeded the fired Paul Pasqualoni in January

Aug. 29, 2005

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - Greg Robinson is less than a week away from his first game as a head coach, and the new leader of the Syracuse Orange exuded confidence as he began preparing for the big day.

"I feel very confident with what I'm doing," said Robinson, who replaced the fired Paul Pasqualoni in January. "That doesn't mean I have all the answers. I'll tell you Sunday."

Robinson, whose long career has been strictly as an assistant at every level of the game, said he won't know how the team will perform until it is truly tested.

The speculation will end Sunday in the Carrier Dome against Big East foe West Virginia.

"We're excited that it's a Big East game, and we're excited that it's West Virginia," said Robinson, his ring finger sagging under the weight of a Super Bowl ring he earned with the Denver Broncos. "For 50 years, this game has been going on. These two teams know each other very well."

According to the depth chart released Monday, Syracuse will have 11 new players - six on offense and five on defense - as starters. On offense, Tim Lane and Landel Bembo were slated to start at wide receiver, with sophomore Rice Moss and freshman Bruce Williams, a Syracuse native, listed second.

Williams excelled in his senior year here at Christian Brothers Academy with 92 catches for 1,414 yards and 25 touchdowns and has become a familiar figure on campus since signing to play for Syracuse in February.

"You could tell by what he did all spring," Robinson said. "He came over on his own, watched every practice, sat in on almost every meeting he could, was here every day in the summertime. And then his intent is so strong to try to be a player. He's a guy that you can count on, and that's a big thing."

"It's good being here and getting a chance to play," Williams said. "It's great being a local boy. It brings more excitement to the team."

Robinson said freshman Lavar Lobdell, also a star wideout last season for CBA, had been hampered by shoulder and hamstring injuries in preseason camp but had looked "pretty darned good" the last two days of practice.

"We'll feel that out as the week goes on," Robinson said. "Lavar, give him credit, too. He put a lot of time in, and we'd like to reap the benefits just like he would."

Senior Damien Rhodes, also a Syracuse-area native, is set to start at tailback, with Kareem Jones as his backup. Jones also will return kickoffs, while Bembo is listed as the punt returner.

"He's worked very hard. That's what I've asked him to do," Robinson said of Rhodes, who led the...
    -08-30-2005, 07:56 PM
  • MauiRam
    Robinson finds right fit with Rams
    by MauiRam
    By Nick Wagoner

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Every so often in his time at Auburn, offensive tackle Greg Robinson would find himself in search of some solitude, the chance to steal a little peace and quiet or perhaps even a nap from the day-to-day grind.

That search would take Robinson to his locker stall, the one piece of real estate to which every player is entitled. One problem, though, Robinson couldn't fit his massive 6-foot-5, 332-pound frame into the locker far enough to achieve the desired effect.

"I tried once in college when I just got tired after practice and just tried to just push in the locker a little bit," Robinson said. "I couldn't fit."

Greg Robinson
    If his new locker stall is any indication, Greg Robinson has found a good fit with the Rams.
    Upon his arrival Monday evening in St. Louis, Robinson wasted no time taking in his new surroundings. Although he'd been to St. Louis on a pre-draft visit, Robinson was now arriving at his new home rather than just the next stop on a nation-wide tour of various team facilities.

When Robinson entered the locker room, he quickly spotted the locker with his name and the No. 79 adorned above it.

If it hadn't previously sunk in when the Rams called his name as the No. 2 overall pick last Thursday night, it really hit Robinson when he got that first look at his locker.

"It was a dream come true," Robinson said. "It's just like reality hit me as I walked through the doors. I've been here on a visit with the Top 30 and just coming in and, like he said, seeing your name in that locker. Actually, it was a crazy thought I had, in college I couldn't fit in my locker, so I sat back in my locker and it's just a crazy feeling."

The crazy feelings and time for reflection were fine Tuesday as Robinson and his fellow rookies were introduced to a large media contingent at a rookie news conference. With the glare of the spotlight now gone, Robinson and the rookies will now turn their attention to business.

For Robinson, that probably means getting acclimated to the position he's likely to play as a rookie: left guard. Robinson was one of the dominant left tackles in the college game in 2013, particularly in the run game. The Rams coveted him with the second pick because of his size, athleticism, aggressive approach and, of course, his immense upside.

But the Rams are expecting starting left tackle Jake Long back in time for the season opener and are content with Joe Barksdale on the right side. That means Robinson will probably have a chance to follow in the footsteps of all-time great tackles such as Jonathan Ogden and Larry Allen, who both started their careers inside before moving out to tackle.

That would seem to be a natural move for Robinson, who by all accounts is ready to be a devastating run blocker...
    -05-14-2014, 06:37 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Morning Ram-blings: Greg Robinson Upside
    by r8rh8rmike
    Morning Ram-blings: Greg Robinson's upside

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Over at TheMMQB.com earlier this week, Greg A. Bedard wrote an excellent Memorial Day tribute but buried deeper in the piece was an interesting take on St. Louis Rams left tackle Greg Robinson.

In the part where it discusses Robinson, Bedard has words from offensive line coach Paul Boudreau about the difficulty of getting young linemen up to speed on shorter notice. In some ways, it's not much different than a quarterback transitioning from a spread offense to the NFL. Robinson didn't come with much polish and certainly had no experience playing in a pro-style offense at Auburn.

So Robinson's learning curve was steeper and that was evident in the mixed results he offered. But more notable than that was what Boudreau had to say about Robinson's potential.

"Now, I coached Willie Roaf when Willie was a rookie," Boudreau told Bedard. "Willie's in the Hall of Fame. And I can tell you from a coach who coached Willie and now coaches Greg Robinson: Greg Robinson as a rookie has more talent and is a better player than Willie. Willie had a great coach at Louisiana Tech, and Willie was ahead of the curve because of the techniques he was taught, just like how we talk about preferring the Wisconsin, Iowa, Stanford and Notre Dame guys. They have one up on the guys from the spread. I'm not going to tell a spread coach he can't do it anymore. What I'm saying to the NFL is, 'Give me a chance to change this spread guy to an NFL guy. Don't restrict me.' Back in the day, we could take the Wing-T guys and convert them because we had the time. Just give me a chance to coach my guys and don't tell me I can only have them for four hours.

Putting Robinson in company with Roaf, even on a basic talent level, is pretty high praise for the Rams' second-year tackle. Robinson undoubtedly has the physical ability to be a star. But whether he maxes out his potential will come down to mastering the intricacies of the position. If he can do it sooner than later, it'd be a boon for the Rams in 2015.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Wednesday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we opened the day with a look at St. Louis' plan B in case a stadium plan can't get done. ... In this week's Buzz video, I discuss the Rams' late start to organized team activities. ... Football Outsiders says the Rams' biggest weakness is wide receiver but is it? ... In the on going offseason roster review, we looked at the Rams' running back group.
    -05-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Working...
X