Vikings: Robinson Being Counted On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vikings: Robinson Being Counted On

Much of the discussion of off-season acquisitions has centered around Antoine Winfield and Kenechi Udeze. But, many around Winter Park believe Marcus Robinson could be the difference maker on offense.

When Mike Tice introduced fans (and defensive coordinators) to the Randy Ratio, he likely didn't envision the kind of season the Vikings would have in 2003.

In the second year since the departure of Cris Carter, the Vikings again failed to adequately replace him. The two guys they brought in to be that player -- Derrick Alexander and D'Wayne Bates -- were awful and eventually both were released. The numbers from last year speak volumes as to why Marcus Robinson will be under the microscope (and hopefully not an arthroscope) this year.

Last year, Moss caught 111 passes -- exactly the same number as the next two leading receivers combined. The problem with that? Those two players were Moe Williams (65 receptions) and Jim Kleinsasser (46).

When it came to other wide receivers, the Vikings were nothing short of awful. Nate Burleson, Kelly Campbell and Bates combined to catch just 69 passes. Robinson alone is expected to catch that many passes -- and likely equal or better the seven touchdowns the three players combined for last year.

Coach Mike Tice and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan were aggressive in going after Robinson, after the Ravens turned their backs when they thought they had Terrell Owens wrapped up. Now is his chance to finally try to help the Vikings put Carter behind them and move ahead in 2004.

Alexander clearly didn't work. Bates simply didn't have the speed or talent to get the job done. While Robinson has some major injury concerns, this will be his chance to erase the bad memories of the last two seasons and get the Vikings moving ahead in the right direction.

VikingsUpdate.com

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    K. Robinson voluntarily back in rehab
    by RamWraith
    Vikings | K. Robinson voluntarily back in rehab
    Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:36:13 -0700

KSTP-TV reports Minnesota Vikings WR Koren Robinson has checked himself into a drug rehabilitation center. Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, confirmed to 5 Eyewitness News that Robinson voluntarily entered the rehabilitation program in late June. Keels says Robinson did nothing wrong, but would not share any more details. The Vikings have not released a statement on the situation yet. If Robinson were found in violation of league policy again, he could face up to a year-long suspension.
    -07-06-2006, 07:08 PM
  • Bruce=GOAT
    Former Vikings WR Koren Robinson gets 90 days in jail
    by Bruce=GOAT
    Former Vikings WR Koren Robinson gets 90 days in jail
    February 20, 2007

ST. PETER, Minn. (AP) -- Former Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Koren Robinson must serve 90 days in jail for fleeing police last August, a prosecutor said.

Robinson was sentenced in Nicollet County Court on Tuesday for leading officers on a high-speed chase this past summer from St. Peter to Mankato during Vikings training camp.

Assistant County Attorney Paul Tanis said Robinson will be on probation for three years. He also must complete 80 hours of community service and pay a $1,500 fine.

Robinson is now with the Green Bay Packers.

Tanis said Robinson must report to the county jail by March 1, although he may serve the 90-day sentence in Wisconsin if he choses to do so.

Robinson can also serve the sentence at the same time he serves 90 days for violating his probation in a separate drunken-driving case in Kirkland, Wash., last year.

Robinson showed remorse in court Tuesday -- saying he's been attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and trying to avoid alcohol.
    -02-20-2007, 11:50 AM
  • RamWraith
    Jeff Robinson Returns to Rams/Collins cut
    by RamWraith
    Monday, September 5, 2005
    By Nick Wagoner Senior Writer

The St. Louis Rams reunion tour added another player to its act Monday when tight end Jeff Robinson returned to the team. Robinson signed with St. Louis one day after receiving his release from the Dallas Cowboys. He joins the likes of tight end Roland Williams and tackle Matt Willig as Rams from the Super Bowl years to return to St. Louis after spending time elsewhere. Williams, for one, is happy to see his old friend and teammate back. “It’s a reunion, like an old school reunion,” Williams said. “I’m like, ‘Is that Jeff Robinson, what’s up?’ He’s doing great; it’s great to have him back on the team.” For Robinson, the feeling is mutual. “I knew there were some guys I would recognize,” Robinson said. “I didn’t realize it was going to be a reunion. I thought it was like the five-year reunion for the Super Bowl team. It was great. It’s good to see those guys back. We all know each other. We all know what we’re going to get from each other and that’s going to be important in winning games.” Robinson is entering his 13th season out of Idaho and brings with him a great deal of experience and veteran leadership.

To make room for Robinson the team released rookie Jerome Collins. With one spot remaining on the practice squad, Collins could be brought back in that capacity. When he was with the Rams the first time around, Robinson moved to tight end from defensive end after coming over from Denver in 1997. He also held down the role of the team’s deep snapper, developing into one of the better snappers in the league. He caught his first touchdown pass against Carolina in 1998 before he made the move full-time to tight end in 1999. That move came just in time for the Rams’ Super Bowl run. Robinson even caught a touchdown in the team’s playoff win against Minnesota that year. He spent two more seasons with the Rams before signing as a free agent with Dallas. That move was hard at the time, but Robinson was offered a substantial contract for a deep snapper, one so substantial that he couldn’t say no. “It’s not about the money, it’s about the money,” Robinson said. “I always laugh whenever someone says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money. I had to do it and I am glad I did. It put me in a different position financially for the rest of my life. So, it’s something I had to do. I’m very glad to finish up my career and be able to be a Ram doing that.”

With the Rams believing they are on the verge of winning this season, adding another veteran with Robinson’s leadership qualities makes the move a no-brainer. Chris Massey took over the role of snapper in Robinson’s absence, but the addition of Robinson just gives St. Louis more security. But don’t expect the lighter (down to about 255 pounds) Robinson to do much deep snapping. Coach Mike Martz said Robinson will get the chance to make his mark as a tight end. “Jeff gives us another tight end without...
    -09-05-2005, 05:52 PM
  • Rambos
    Robinson Making a Statement
    by Rambos
    Robinson Making a Statement
    Saturday, August 22, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Text A A A | RSS | Print | ShareThis
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Of the many moves the Rams made during the past offseason, from hiring a new head coach to bringing in big dollar free agents and picking near the top of the NFL Draft, there was one that perhaps flew under the radar without proper acclaim.

It certainly didn’t garner any headlines on ESPN, barely qualifying for bottom line status but on April 6, the Rams swapped their fifth and sixth round picks to Atlanta for the Falcons’ fifth and sixth round picks and receiver Laurent Robinson.

At the time, it seemed like a low-risk, high reward move. And though there is a lot of football left to be played before anyone can stamp the high reward portion of that deal, Robinson is certainly off to a promising start.

“I feel good,” Robinson said. “I’m just working hard every day in practice, going out there trying to be the best I can be everyday, listening to the coach…I mean, and just being coachable and going out there and executing. The offense is great, I’m very confident and comfortable in it, and hopefully I can just continue on in the regular season.”

Soon after top receiver Donnie Avery was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his foot, the onus fell on Robinson as one of the young receivers behind Avery to step up and fill the void in this preseason.

Robinson had already earned his way into the starting lineup and was getting the work opposite Avery as a starter in practice when Avery suffered the injury.

But with Avery out, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo made it clear he was looking for any of his young receivers to stand up and make a statement.

With Avery projected toward a return sometime around the season opener at Seattle, Robinson appears to be the one looming the largest.

“It’s a great opportunity here for me,” Robinson said. “Hopefully I can just step right in, make some plays, and help the team win anyway I can whether that’s by running, blocking, or catching the ball.”

In Friday night’s loss to the Falcons at the Edward Jones Dome, Robinson made his presence felt with five catches for 65 yards in about two quarters of play.

Along the way, Robinson hauled in a difficult 25-yard catch and showed excellent hands on some short and intermediate slant routes. Further, Robinson showed the ability to pick up yards after the catch, an imperative trait for any receiver in the West Coast Offense.

In two preseason games encompassing about three quarters of play, Robinson has been targeted 10 times and come up with seven catches...
    -08-22-2009, 07:46 PM
  • Rambos
    Vikings agreed to terms with Greg Jennings
    by Rambos
    Greg Jennings - WR - Vikings

Vikings agreed to terms with Greg Jennings, formerly of the Packers, on a five-year contract.
    Minnesota put the full-court press on Jennings on Thursday night by bringing in coach Leslie Frazier and star RE Jared Allen to dinner. It must have worked, and the money must have been right. After trading away Percy Harvin earlier in the week, GM Rick Spielman badly needed to find someone to replace his production. Jennings, 29, can play the slot, but he also isn't limited to it. The way the receiver corps looks now, we'd expect Jennings and Jerome Simpson to play on the outside with Jarius Wright in the slot. Jennings' signing is a good get for Christian Ponder and his development.
    Related: Packers
    Source: Adam Schefter on Twitte
    -03-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Working...
X