X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 2007 Wide Reciever Rankings

http://www.rotorob.com/football/grid...iver-rankings/

Gridiron Goldstein: Early 2007 WR Rankings

A season-ending injury to Orlando Pace robbed Torry Holt of much of his value.1. Steve Smith - Last year Smith was widely considered the top fantasy wide out (he was number two on my list, but having Tory Holt ahead of him probably isn’t worth bragging about), however, nagging injuries cost him superior statistics. My knock on Smith this past preseason was his inconsistency, but he actually improved in that category this season. The final stats will knock Smith’s value down, but savvy owners should have been impressed with his eight games out of 14 with a touchdown (compared to nine out of 16 in 2005) and 10 games with either 100 yards or a touchdown (compared to 11 in 2005).

2. Tory Holt - The Rams’ move to a more conservative offense hurt Holt in 2006, but Orlando Pace’s injury in Week Six was the true nail in the coffin for the team’s star wide out. Before Pace’s triceps tear, Holt averaged 88 yards and 1.2 touchdowns per game. After Pace’s season-ending injury, Holt went for 66 yards and 0.3 scores per game. The numbers are just so black and white.

3. Marvin Harrison - One thousand yards. Ten touchdowns. Bored now…

4. Chad Johnson - News flash: Johnson doesn’t score that many touchdowns. That may be surprising to the average football fan, but anyone who has had Ocho on their fantasy squad should be familiar with the line “Good yardage day, could have used a score, though.”

5. Reggie Wayne - One of these years, Harrison will begin to fade and Wayne will become the clear cut number one guy. It has to happen. Anyway, as long as Peyton Manning is around, Wayne will get his stats.

6. Anquan Boldin - I am unabashedly the biggest Boldin fan on the planet. That being said, his 2006 statistics left me a bit underwhelmed. On one side of the coin, he was only 100 yards and three touchdowns away from Johnson. On the other side, he had only as many touchdowns as Patrick Crayton. Oh well. Matt Leinart should progress, which means more yards and yes, maybe more touchdowns for the toughest wide out in the NFL to tackle.

7. Larry Fitzgerald - Boldin and Fitz are kind of like Michael Jordan and Mia Hamm. Except, they get along better. And neither can play soccer well (I assume). Also, both have yet to lead their team to the postseason, let alone a bajillion world titles. But other than that, they’re exactly alike. Anyway, if Fitzgerald plays 16 games, expect 100 receptions and 1,400 yards from the former Pitt Panther.

8. Roy Williams - For some reason, Williams scares me. I mean, aside from looking like the meanest person to ever play at wide receiver, I am less than keen on taking him as my top wide out next season. If the Lions’ quarterback problem is solved, then maybe I’ll bump Williams up a couple spots. But right now, I don’t know if he’s better than Mike Furrey. And Furrey might not even be a wide receiver. I’m really not sure.

9. Terrell Owens - As I’ve said since I started writing here at RotoRob, Owens is the best wide out in the game when he’s on the field and happy. Unfortunately, his knack for being injured or crazy makes him as risky a pick as there is at the position. The first year in Big D went, well…I was going to say bumpy. But compared to his second year in Philly, it was a relatively smooth ride. Bill Parcells is out, so what can possibly go wrong next year?! (Famous last words…)

10. Marques Colston - Colston proved himself to be one of the tougher players in the league last season. Yes, nagging injuries cost him playing time, but the vicious hits he took would have sidelined lesser players for much longer. If he can learn to protect himself from the huge shots and stay on the field, he has 100-catch, 1,300-yard, 12-touchdown potential.

- Andy Goldstein

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamOfDenmark
    Most dominant pass catcher in the NFL - Torry Holt!
    by RamOfDenmark
    The most dominant pass catchers in the NFL

By Cris Collinsworth
    Special to NFL.com

(Oct. 19, 2006) -- A look at my top five wide receivers:

1. Torry Holt -- Rams
    As a rookie first-round draft pick in '99, Torry Holt had 788 receiving yards. That's not a bad total for a rookie and wouldn't be worth mentioning, except for the fact that it's the only time he's had less than 1,300 yards in his eight-year career, including two years of over 1,600 yards. On Sunday, he became the fastest player in league history to get to 10,000 receiving yards. He has averaged 101 catches over the last four years with a career high of 117 in 2003. The only thing missing from his resume is a huge touchdown year. His career high is a more than respectable 12, but with a league-high seven touchdowns so far this year, that may be next. Holt has no major flaws as a receiver. He has great speed and acceleration, runs good routes and can make spectacular catches, as anyone who saw his 67-yard touchdown against the Seahawks this weekend can tell you. He had a little trouble early in the year adjusting to Scott Linehan's new offense, but his 153-yard, three-touchdown game last weekend shows that he's up to speed and looks to be well on his way to his fifth Pro Bowl.

2. Steve Smith -- Panthers
    Steve Smith just wins football games. The Panthers started the season 0-2 when Smith was out with a hamstring injury, and they're 4-0 since his return. He was incredible against the Ravens last week with eight catches for 189 yards on the road against one of the best defenses in the league. His 72-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown catch effectively ended the game. He began his career as a Pro Bowl kickoff and punt returner and still plays with that punt returner mentality. His biggest weapon is his open-field running. Once he gets the ball in his hands, all bets are off. Whether it's on a reception, punt return or reverse, he's a threat to score any time he touches the ball. If you still aren't sold on Smith, just ask the Chicago Bears. He lit them up for 218 yards and two touchdowns on 14 catches in the playoffs last year. When a reporter asked NFL Defensive Player of the Year Brian Urlacher what happened in the game, he responded, "Steve Smith."

3. Marvin Harrison -- Colts
    Marvin Harrison makes playing wide receiver in the NFL look too easy. He catches everything thrown to him and runs his routes as if they were etched on the field. The most amazing thing is that he does it anonymously, without the elaborate celebrations or self-created drama that has become the hallmark of the wide receiver position. He doesn't get the attention of most of his contemporaries, but he does get the stats. Of all the records that he holds, and there are a lot, the most impressive is that he has averaged more than 92 catches per year in his 10 years in the NFL. There have been a lot of great...
    -10-20-2006, 07:57 AM
  • thoey
    Two Rams WR's listed in Fanballs WR list
    by thoey
    Wide Receivers Preview
    By Christian Peterson, Associate Editor
    August 2, 2005 10:00 AM ET

Can Randy Moss stay atop the fantasy world in Oakland?

Running backs are the bread and butter of fantasy football. Thanks to record-breaking seasons by Peyton Manning and Daunte Culpepper a year ago, quarterbacks are making a comeback – we'll call them the lunch meat, or in Brett Favre's case, the cheese. But you can't have a good sandwich without a little mustard or mayo, right? Welcome to the third in our continuing series of preseason position-by-position previews, where we'll focus on the often overlooked, underappreciated fantasy condiments – the wide receivers. We'll start with the stud wideouts at the top, but we'll also delve into the depths of our rankings to answer a handful of key questions about the entire fantasy receiving class.

The Superstars
    Like quarterbacks and running backs, the wide receiver crop has one player generally considered to be the No. 1 choice –Randy Moss. However, unlike the other positions, Moss is not clearly head-and-shoulders above the next couple of stalwarts. Hence, three players are clustered very tightly at the top:

Randy Moss, Raiders: Moss has averaged an impressive 1,300 yards and 13 touchdowns per season so far in his career, but for the first time he faces a few question marks now that he won't be catching passes from Daunte Culpepper. Can the historically inept Kerry Collins keep him happy? Are the injury woes that caused him to either sit out or play injured in six games a year ago a thing of the past? The bet here, obviously, is that Moss has enough talent to put up great numbers despite the obvious downgrade at quarterback. Collins has enough talent to work with in Moss, Jerry Porter, and LaMont Jordan, he almost has no option but to succeed in this offense. Right?

Terrell Owens, Eagles: Coming off a season in which he racked up 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns in just 14 games, Owens should give Moss a run for his money atop the wideout rankings. But an offseason of constant holdout speculation and bickering between he, his agent, Eagles management, and even Eagles teammates bumps T.O. a notch below. Although the soap opera continues just as the Eagles open camp, for now we have to Assume Owens will be back in the fold in time for week one of the regular season. As long as his off-the-field antics don't become too much of a sideshow, expect another great season from Owens, who has proven repeatedly he can do as much talking on the field as off.

Marvin Harrison, Colts: Apparently wanting to fit in with T.O. and Moss, the usually squeaky-clean Harrison got into the act off the field this offseason as well. The allegations that Marv assaulted a couple of young autograph seekers before last season's Pro Bowl makes him an official, card-carrying member of the enigmatic superstar receiver class, as...
    -08-03-2005, 12:10 PM
  • ramstough39
    An ongoing debate: Torry Holt, the best Wide Receiver in the NFL
    by ramstough39
    *The advocate's debate is colored in bold.

In August 2006, I originally wrote a piece on Torry Holt as being the best receiver in today's game. Over time, I've argued it over and over on several different sports forums. I've posted the following on my blog, adding one big heated argument I've encountered. Enjoy the read!

I'm ecstatic on reading your perennial thoughts.

------------------------------

There are several good to great receivers in the league such as Steve Smith, Terrell Owens, Santana Moss, Randy Moss, Hines Ward, Marvin Harrison; the list goes on. However, my pick for the best receiver in the league is none other than:

Torry Holt, number 81, St. Louis Rams wide receiver, has been playing in the league for seven straight season. Perhaps, he is the most consistent wide out in the league right now. Lets take a look. In his rookie season, in 1999, coming out of North Carolina State, 788 receiving yards in his rookie season. It didn't really blow people away, but the mind boggling thing was that, in Super Bowl XXXIV, as the Rams took on the Tennessee Titans, he had a touchdown, and could have had another, and took home the game's MVP instead of Kurt Warner, but made a rookie mistake, dropping it.

Onto the point, after that season, he has amassed over 1300+ yards, six consecutive times. He is the only wide out in NFL History to ever do such a thing. That's the main legit fact why I say he's the most consistent receiver in the NFL. I don't think Terrell Owens could do something like that now, with his age, nor Randy Moss. Now, it's possible for Steve Smith to do that, but lets look at his history..he's more inconsistent then he is consistent. The exact reason I think Smith is the most overrated wide out in the NFL right now. The media is all over him, after his one good year. I say kudos to the man, but after all this media hype, they treat him like a God.

Did they treat Torry Holt like a God in the 2003-2004 season when he had over 1600+ yards with 117 receptions! Wow! What a statbook! And no, they did not. He was invited to the Pro Bowl however. That's the big setoff. I just don't understand why they had to ride the Steve Smith bandwagon all season after one good year..check out this:

First of all, this is another stat that sets Torry aside from Steve. Quite funny as well, might I add. Steve Smith played all 16 regular season games this past year. Torry Holt? He was injury-bugged for at least 6 of them. Though, Holt still played 14 of the 16 regular season games to give it his all only being 3 receptions from the receiving title in '05-'06.

No, that is not the stat I'm talking about, but just a bonus. Here is the actual thing. Torry Holt, was only three receptions away from winning the receiving title. Wow! Now, did he even get mentioned by the media? No he didn't! The media was all over Steve Smith, who...
    -07-10-2007, 01:50 AM
  • HUbison
    Consistently excellent, reserved Holt is the anti-T.O.
    by HUbison
    Aug. 9, 2006
    By Pete Prisco
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

ST. LOUIS -- You go in search of the answer, asking a variety of people, from the guy who throws him the ball to the new coach to the receiver himself, all the same question with the hope of finding the secret to the success of one of the NFL's great, yet under-recognized, receivers.

Marc Bulger on his rapport with Holt: 'It's definitely an advantage.'
    What makes St. Louis Rams receiver Torry Holt so good?

"He gets his catches because he's the best route runner in the league," Rams quarterback Marc Bulger said.

"I've never seen a guy who has more naturally gifted hands," Rams coach Scott Linehan said. "He makes every catch look so easy."

Both good reasons, but Holt provides the No. 1 reason.

"I pride myself on my consistency," Holt said. "It's the same every year. Some guys it's hot, warm, and then cold. Or it's hot, lukewarm, cold and then hot again. For me, I like it to be about consistency. The other way makes no sense to me."

The way he works makes that possible. During a training camp practice at Rams Park on Monday, he ran all of his routes hard, even the early drills that some veteran receivers might take as an easy time. When he ran a go route during an 11-on-11 drill, he was bumped off his route by the defender.

"That's pass interference," he screamed at a coach standing nearby. "That's pass interference."

What did it really matter? Yet here was one of the game's best receivers, on a hot, sticky day in August in his eighth season, acting like a meaningless play in a practice was as important as a third-down pass play in a playoff game.

That's Holt. He cares.

That's another reason why he has put up some amazing -- consistent -- numbers in his first seven seasons. He's the only man in NFL history to have six consecutive 1,300-yard receiving seasons.

Holt is 38th on the all-time receptions list with 619, but he was the second-fastest in history to 600 receptions. He has averaged 88 catches per season in his career. If he kept up that average, or close to it, and played as long as Jerry Rice's 21 years, he would shatter the all-time receptions record of 1,549 catches.

Holt is 29th on the all-time receiving yardage list with 9,487 yards, an average of 1,355 yards per season. That's a pace that would allow him to break Rice's all-time record of 22,895 yards in his 17th season, while it took Rice 21 to get there.

"I don't know if I'll be there chasing 15, 16 or 17 years," Holt said. "Next year, that feeling may change. I'll play this game as long as I can play it, but I'm not saying I'll be playing for umpteen years."

Maybe his...
    -08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
  • RamsFan4ever
    Fantasy Football 3 Round Mock Draft---Jackson 3rd Pick
    by RamsFan4ever
    http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/9908343

One man's mock draft for 2007

By Michael Fabiano
    NFL.com Fantasy Expert

(Jan. 4, 2007) -- The fantasy football season might last only a few short months, but there is no true offseason for those enthusiastic owners who live, eat and breathe the National Football League. In fact, some have already started to research and examine how drafts could look in 2007 (training camps are just six months away!)

In an effort to feed that fantasy football fix all year round, we here at NFL.com will run an updated three-round mock draft once a month throughout the offseason. Each numbered position represents an individual team, so no one team will select more than one quarterback, two running backs or two wide receivers.

The draft is based on a standard scoring system that rewards one point for each 25 passing yards, 10 rushing and receiving yards and six points for all touchdowns. There are no points awarded for receptions.

ROUND ONE
    1. LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, San Diego: Tomlinson was without question the MVP of fantasy football this season and will be the first overall selection in almost all 2007 drafts. He led the entire league with 1,815 rushing yards and scored an NFL record 31 touchdowns (33 total with his two touchdown passes included), and he will continue to be the centerpiece of the Chargers offense for head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

2. Larry Johnson, RB, Kansas City: Johnson, who was the consensus No. 1 overall selection in this season's drafts, didn't disappoint with 2,199 all-purpose yards and 19 total touchdowns. The fact that he recorded an NFL single-season record 416 carries and should see at least 20-30 additional looks in the postseason is a bit of a concern, but it will still be hard for most owners to pass on this ultra-talented and versatile back.

3. Steven Jackson, RB, St. Louis: Jackson broke out in his first season under head coach Scott Linehan with an impressive 2,334 all-purpose yards and 16 total touchdowns, so look for him to replace Shaun Alexander on the list of elite backs. The former Oregon State standout also recorded 90 receptions -- that's the most in the league for backs -- so he could be a better choice than Johnson in leagues that reward owners for catches.

4. Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco: Gore, who was the top preseason sleeper on NFL.com, broke out under the guidance of offensive coordinator Norv Turner with an NFC-high 1,695 rushing yards and nine total touchdowns. He also posted an additional 485 yards as a receiver out of the backfield in what became an improved Niners offense. Gore should continue to thrive under Turner -- his goal for 2007 is 2,200 yards.

5. Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis: There will be at most three elite quarterbacks next season -- Manning,...
    -01-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Working...
X