X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "news From The Toon".

UEFA.cup 2nd qualifying round -1st leg.
    thursday-10/08/06.

F K Ventspils (Latvia). 0 v Newcastle united. 1.

Marks out of 10 rating.

Shey Given- Great early save 8.

Stephen carr- No worries 7.

Celestine Babayaro - o.k. 7.

Titus Bramble - Uniteds match winner 8.

Craig Moore - Steady again 7.

Nolberto Solano - Not yet into his stride 6.

Scott Parker - Tireless 7.

Nickey Butt - Did well 7.

Emre - Neat and tidy 7.

Damien Duff - Always a threat 8.

Shola ameobi - Lacked support 6.

Subs.

Charles N'Zogbia (on for emre 80 mins).
    James Milner (for solano 84 mins ).
    Peter Ramage (for babayaro 87 mins).

Subs not used - steve harper,stephen taylor,albert luque and alan o'brien.

MATCH STATS.

Shots on target new-8 - ven-2.
    Shots off target new-6 - ven-5.
    Fouls conceded new-7- ven-7.
    Corners new-4- ven-3.
    Offsides new-2- ven-1.
    Possession(%) new-52- ven-48.

Goal 0-1 (71 mins).
    Bookings United : Moore (47 mins decent).
    Butt (90 mins foul).
    Ventspils : none.

Referee. Stephen Lannoy (France). Much too fussy 6.

Attendance : 6,000 (A big night for Ventspils).

:ramlogo:

Re: "news From The Toon".

Great to see someone take the time and effort to post updates on the only tema that relegates the Rams to second place in my affections.

I'd have responded sooner were it not for the fact that I'm not having much to do with this site at the moment.

Wayne Bridge? - Yes please

Obafemi Martins? - No thanks

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• sonnyjames
      Can I just say that that fake FG touchdown...
      by sonnyjames
      ...is the most excited I've been while watching the Rams in a long time

It may only have been a little thing in the grand scheme of everything else - and I know there's a long road ahead - but it was great invention and had me up off the seat cheering in a way I've certainly not done all season (and for a fair while before that too).

So while people are (and rightly) urging caution and reminding each other that we still suck and we've played a lot of garbage this year, sometimes it's nice to revel in the 'moments' that make sport so awesome in the first place.

Great playcalling and execution. Right down to the way we played them with the fake initial setup and timeout.

People can write reams about the rest of the season (both played and yet to come), or even on the game itself, but that 15 seconds or so was pure footballing joy.
      -11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
    • ramhard
      Most likely to drop below 20? above
      by ramhard
      As we go through the interactive draft, I realized we are biased toward the big names...the ones that have gotten the most press. Every year one or two players drop who got lots of pub and a couple jump up. For example last year
      Lee Evans at 13, and JP Losman at 22 were the big early surprises going up. Going down it was Vince Wilfolk at 21, Stephen Jackson 23. and probably Derrick Stait 77 that went lower than expected. The downward are players at big schools with lots of visibility that get over-hyped, the upwards are players coming off injury (Evans) or playing positions of shortage and need (Losman).

Who is the most likely to drop this year from what is projected, and who do you think we most likely go up. My pick for drop is Dan Cody of Oklahoma. I think he is overhyped being at Okie, he has past problems, is a bit of a tweener, and there are other speed rushers available faster than him, and other 3-4 DE's better (e.g. Spears). On the upward side, I think either Mark Clayton at WR or Channing Crowder maybe show up higher than expected.
      -04-06-2005, 10:30 AM
    • RamDez
      Celts stroll in Jinky final
      by RamDez
      Celts stroll in Jinky final Stephen Sullivan

CIS Insurance Cup Final,
      Sunday March 19, 2006
      Hampden Park

CELTIC… 3
      Zurawski 43, Maloney 76, Dublin 90
      DUNFERMLINE… 0

Jimmy Johnstone was honoured on the Hampden turf this afternoon, ultimately in some style, as Celtic adhered firmly to the pre-match script by returning the League Cup to Jinky’s spiritual home.

Goals from Maciej Zurawski, Shaun Maloney and Dion Dublin saw Celtic stroll to the first silverware of Gordon Strachan’s reign and, with each of these strikes and the very lifting of the trophy greeted by chants of ‘Jimmy Johnstone on the wing,’ it truly was an afternoon to remember.

A minute’s applause – universally and enthusiastically observed – certainly set a fitting tone and, with the Celtic support continuing to sing the praises of their late hero, Strachan’s side immediately set about giving the faithful something to cheer rather than merely applaud.

First to threaten was Zurawski - a sound-looking bet in the first goalscorer stakes – who, in just eight minutes, rose under pressure at the near post to head against the face of the crossbar from an inswinging Shunsuke Nakamura free-kick.

Much was expected of Nakamura and Maloney, Celtic’s two modern day widemen and, though only Maloney - and he only in patches - gave a performance to evoke memories of Jinky, both were prominent in their side’s impressive early play.

So, too, was Ross Wallace – restored to left-back in place of the cup-tied Mark Wilson – with the youngster, for all his apparent defensive shortcomings, again offering the kind of attacking spark that justified his inclusion.

In 13 minutes, he drove at Dunfermline all on his own, taking off on a surging run that saw him burst from his own half to the Pars penalty box, where he smashed in a low shot that would surely have found the net had it been a foot either side of Allan McGregor.

It was Wallace who also created Celtic’s next chance, drilling a long ball over the top for Keane, who in fouling Allan McGregor in a 30-70 challenge for the ball, only saved the former Rangers keeper from committing an infringement of his own as he was on the way out of his box with the ball in his hands.

Yet, by this stage, Celtic’s early promise had faded and, with Stilian Petrov again looking ill at ease in a striking role alongside Zurawski, Dunfermline were sufficiently encouraged to mount a few attacks of their own, the best of which saw Freddy Dacquin slice wastefully into the side-netting.

Celtic, though, always looked the more likely to break the deadlock and, with six first-half minutes remaining, only a superb, agile tip-over from McGregor prevented Keane from charging in on a Nakamura free-kick and bulleting the Bhoys in front.

Dunfermline's stay of execution was short, however...
      -03-19-2006, 01:54 PM
    • RamDez
      Glasgow Celtic
      by RamDez
      For those Celtic fans, I will keep you updated here
      -08-14-2005, 02:35 PM
    • Barry Waller
      Post Draft Blog
      by Barry Waller
      Long weekend at Rams Park, lots of intrigue until the first pick. Turns out the Rams really really love Chris Long, and really shouldn't they?

They turned down offers that included a pro-bowl tackle from the Saints, and also a second, fourth and 2009 third from Baltimore just to move to 8th.

Mainly, they wanted Atlanta to deal up one spot, but Atlanta never blinked and offered that second round pick the Rams wanted.

Rams took Long over Glenn Dorsey, which some may rue, but two other teams with DT need bigger than the Rams passed as well on Dorsey.

Turns out need is really what drives the draft early, when guys are expected to give immediate help in most cases. Surely a team will not drop down a tier (except maybe the Ravens with Flacco), to fill need, but they stack their tiers according to need as well as total score.

The Rams and everyone could see that this was a six player draft, and all six were taken by that pick as expected. The fall off after that group was greater even than usual, which is probably why 8 offensive tackles, the entire top tier, was taken in round one.

The same for defensive ends, which made the Long pick even more necessary. Got our first chance to see him out at Rams Park Sunday(He hadn't slept since Friday night).

During his press conference I asked him, "what number will you wear"?
      He said "Well, Leonard Little has 91, my college number, so I don't know, I'll have to talk to my family about it." I then asked, "Are you averse to #75 (His dad's number), he said quickly "Actually, yes I am. I can take the pressure, but I don't need to shovel it on myself!!"

In round two, the obvious Ram choice was a WR, because no one else at other positions warranted that spot, other than maybe one or two backs.

The guy the Rams got, Donnie Avery, had skyrocketed since his workout, where he ran around 4.3. He supposedly has a 4.2 at some time on his resume. He's not a track guy either, like Eddie Kennison. He had 91 catches and 1400 plus yards last year, playing part of the year with a dislocated thumb.

He wasn't able to run at the combine, so that's why he didn't get the ink he surely would have, maybe a good thing for the Rams in the end. Even his detractors say he is the best "home run hitter" in this draft. He's better than Ted Ginn Jr as a receiver, and that guy went in the top 10 last year.

Avery has really big hands too, always a plus for a receiver, and is not a skinny guy either. He loves to fish when he isn't playing football.

In round three, the Rams had had a chance to restack their board, and looking at the available talent, and the Rams need, the fit seemed easy, though Detroit must have thought the Rams would go RB, as they dealt two spots to get ahead of the Rams to take Central Florida...
      -04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
    Working...
    X