Johnson open to trade out of Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson open to trade out of Arizona

HOUSTON -- During Monday's All-Star media session, Randy Johnson was complaining about all of the inaccuracies in media coverage of his prospective trade out of Arizona.

"You know, if you're tired of the stories, you could end them all by just saying, 'I'm happy in Arizona. I don't want to leave,' " someone observed.

“ The only way I'd probably want to leave is if a trade would benefit the Diamondbacks by my leaving. ”
    — Randy Johnson

Johnson chuckled and said, "I love it in Arizona. ... Uh, how'd that go again?"

The question was then repeated to him.

The Big Unit then said: "I like Arizona. My children go to school in Arizona."

Long pause.

Question: "And you don't want to leave?"

Another long pause.

"I don't know if I can say that," Johnson said.

Asked at that point if he wanted to be traded, Johnson replied: "I don't know. ... I haven't been approached by the Diamondbacks yet to waive my no-trade clause."

Randy Johnson
    Starting Pitcher
    Arizona Diamondbacks

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM W L Sv K ERA
    19 10 7 0 145 2.99

Then, after another pause, he said: "The only way I'd probably want to leave is if a trade would benefit the Diamondbacks by my leaving. And maybe the way to do that is if they wouldn't have to pay my salary and it could go to some other players that would help them -- and if I got to a situation that was going to work for me. That's pretty logical, right?"

Johnson, 10-7 with a 2.99 ERA and a major league-leading 145 strikeouts, said the last-place Diamondbacks also would be benefit from "the players they got in return."

Anaheim, Boston and the Yankees appear to be the most likely candidates for a deal with the Diamondbacks, a major league-worst 31-58 at the All-Star break, 18½ games behind NL West-leading Los Angeles.

"I'm not going to leave to go to a situation where they theoretically have a chance to win," said Johnson, 10-7 with a 2.99 ERA and a major league-leading 145 strikeouts. "It's going to have to be somewhere that ... teams that have a chance to win, that's the only way.

"There has been no list of teams [he would accept a trade to]. Just teams that have a [good] chance to win. That's the only way.

"So there. You got what you wanted. I'm not going to talk about it anymore."

But then he did. Asked if he'd gone to the Diamondbacks and asked to be traded, Johnson replied: "Whatever they want to do, they're going to do. Matt Williams had a no-trade clause, and they were trying to trade him to Colorado. So whatever they want to do, they can do. You see it all the time. It's not just me."

Johnson, asked what his thoughts were about his memories of trips to Boston's North End, joked about it.

"I was really torn between the Boston clam chowder and the Manhattan clam chowder," he said.

Arizona has refused to say whether it plans to deal Johnson. The deadline to make deals without waivers in July 31.

"I don't have any comment at all at this time," Diamondbacks owner Jerry Colangelo said Monday.

Johnson, co-MVP of Arizona's seven-game World Series win over the Yankees in 2001, said his goal was to get back to the World Series.

"That's why we all play," he said.

The 40-year-old left-hander, who pitched a perfect game at Atlanta on May 18, is making $16 million this season and is due $16 million in 2005, the final year of his deal. He said he does not want a new contract as part of waving his rights to block a trade.

"Reading that I want an extension, that's the only way that I would accept a trade, is absolutely incorrect," he said. "Saying that I would be willing to go to Anaheim because I've got a house there 20 minutes [from the ballpark] is absolutely incorrect."

Former Diamondbacks teammate Curt Schilling, Johnson's World Series co-MVP, wouldn't say whether he's lobbying Johnson to go to Boston. Schilling talks frequently with Johnson and their families planned to spend time together in Houston.

Yankees players have made clear they want Johnson in the Bronx. New York's payroll would approach $200 million if it acquires Johnson.

"The only issue is [Bernie] is number 51," Alex Rodriguez said, jokingly. "There's no question he would be welcomed."

Yankees closer Mariano Rivera said that if he has a chance, he would lobby Johnson to join the Yankees.

"I will tell him it's the best place to play," said Rivera, who has spent his entire major league career in New York. "If you ask me, 'Do I want the guy there?' Yes. But it's up to him."

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Jayson Stark and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Varg6
    Ocho Cinco wants out of Cincy
    by Varg6
    Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson left no room for doubt Wednesday: He wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengal function -- mandatory or voluntary.

I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible. I don't intend on reporting to anything.
    --Chad Johnson
    What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by quarterback Carson Palmer that indicated Johnson had told Palmer he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson said Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Johnson made one of his strongest statements in saying he is not planning on reporting to any team functions because he wants to be traded.

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson said. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

The Bengals said they have no comment in response to Johnson's statements. A team spokesman pointed to coach Marvin Lewis' statement at the owners meeting that he has fully discussed the Johnson situation and didn't feel it was productive to talk about it again.

Johnson is skipping the team's offseason workouts as he tries to push for a trade. But the Bengals have also made it clear that they have no plans of trading him.

Lewis has said repeatedly that the team has no plans to deal Johnson, despite the wide receiver making the rounds of radio and television talk shows to voice his displeasure about his situation in Cincinnati.

In a February interview with Jim Rome, Johnson said he felt he was being blamed for the Bengals' problems and disappointing showing last season.

"I'm not allowed to say. I get the blame; the so-called best player, I'm the problem," he said. "Someone in-house is spreading this. Maybe they want me to quiet down [and] stop being me. That is not going to happen. I can't function that way. I tried it. It sucked. There was no excitement."

Last month, on ESPN's First Take, Johnson again hinted at wanting a trade.

"I want to continue my career wherever I have the opportunity to win a playoff game and get to the Super Bowl. That's where I want to be," he said.

Wednesday, the Pro Bowl wide receiver said he was surprised by Palmer's comments about his possibly reporting to mandatory...
    -04-16-2008, 03:31 PM
  • Nick
    As camp opens, Trumaine Johnson knows the end is near between him and Rams
    by Nick
    As camp opens, Trumaine Johnson knows the end is near between him and Rams
    By RICH HAMMOND | [email protected] | Orange County Register
    PUBLISHED: July 29, 2017 at 6:52 pm | UPDATED: July 29, 2017 at 7:35 pm

IRVINE — Trumaine Johnson wore a Rams jersey Saturday. He talked about winning games for the Rams. He signed a couple hundred autographs for Rams fans, and even greeted one who heckled him.

Yet there’s a subtext now clear to everyone. Johnson won’t be with the Rams after this season.

The Rams, for a second consecutive offseason, tagged Johnson as their franchise player, a designation that included a guaranteed one-year contract worth almost $17 million. Johnson often said he hoped to sign a long-term contract with the Rams, but that deadline quietly passed on July 17.
    “I wanted it. I wanted it big-time,” Johnson said. “I believe the Rams are going in a different direction at the end of the season, and that’s out of my control. So I’m here, and I’m putting my jersey on, and I’m still lacing up my cleats. I’m happy. I’m here to win games and help this team win games.”

On a day when star defensive tackle Aaron Donald officially began his training-camp holdout, as his agent negotiates a new, massive contract, the Rams welcomed Johnson, even if things are a bit awkward.

A divorce between the Rams and Johnson, their top cornerback, is imminent, but the first day of camp at UC Irvine showed that the sides seemed to have reached an understanding. The Rams will pay Johnson well — nearly $17 million — and he be a good teammate and won’t verbally snipe at the team.

That’s not to say Johnson is thrilled. Asked, in several different ways, about his mindset, Johnson said, “I’m here to win games,” a phrase he repeated eight times in a four-minute interview.

“Overall, any player would want a long-term deal,” Johnson said. “I just didn’t get one. I’m not about to feel sorry for myself or be mad at it and be selfish about it. It’s not about me. It’s about this team and winning games. That’s what I’m here for.”

Johnson could have become a free agent after the 2015 season, but the Rams used their franchise tag on him then, and again in 2016. In the process, the Rams lost starting cornerback Janoris Jenkins to free agency, but made it clear they hoped to sign Johnson, a Stockton native, to a new contract.

It appears that never got close. Rams officials said, during the offseason, that they wanted to wait to see how Johnson “fit” in the team’s new defense before they made a long-term commitment, and no deal got done after OTA practices ended in June.

The Rams technically could resume contract talks with Johnson after the final game of this season, but that seems unlikely, especially to Johnson. Asked why he believed, so firmly that the Rams are going in a different direction, Johnson told a reporter, “You’re smart. You’re...
    -07-30-2017, 07:59 AM
  • Nick
    Vermeil's remark upsets Johnson
    by Nick
    Vermeil's remark upsets Johnson
    Coach stands by his ‘diaper' comment
    By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star
    Posted on Thu, Sep. 23, 2004

Halfback Larry Johnson was upset at Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil's remark at his Tuesday news conference that it was time for Johnson “to take the diaper off and go play” because Priest Holmes' ankle injury is likely to keep him out of Sunday's game against Houston .

“If the man can't say something in my face … it don't mean nothing to me,” Johnson said. “For him to say that, to point me out in that situation, (knowing) how much I really busted my (rear) through this preseason, knowing I'm ready to play, knowing I'm ready to do my share, making a comment like that is unnecessary.”

Johnson has been unhappy over his lack of playing time almost since joining the Chiefs as their first-round draft pick last year. He vented at times last season but kept his frustration in check this year until Wednesday.

If Holmes doesn't play, Johnson will back up Derrick Blaylock.

“It's a little frustrating when they bring you here and they can't tell you whether you're going to play or you're not going to play,” Johnson said. “By no means am I going to stop going hard here and going hard every day in practice. It's just something that's frustrating right now and would be to anybody who's in my position.”

Vermeil didn't back down from his comment.

“I wasn't planning on saying that,” he said. “It just popped into my scrambled head. But in a way, there's a little truth to it.”
    -09-23-2004, 12:07 PM
  • Nick
    Rapoport: Trumaine Johnson staying put in '17
    by Nick
    L.A. Rams won't trade Trumaine Johnson this season
    By Kevin Patra
    Around the NFL writer
    Published: April 24, 2017 at 10:58 a.m. Updated: April 24, 2017 at 04:29 p.m.

Malcolm Butler isn't the only cornerback on the trade block who doesn't appear to be headed anywhere ahead of Thursday's draft.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Rams corner Trumaine Johnson will not be traded, according to a source informed of the situation.

The Rams slapped Johnson with the franchise tag for the second consecutive season, which will pay him $16.7 million in 2017.

During the NFL Scouting Combine, Los Angeles general manager Les Snead noted the team had to figure out if Johnson "fit" in new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' system.

"So, I think what we're going to do with Trumaine, because everybody's new, is hey, we need to work together, live together, see if we're all a fit," Snead said at the time. "Does Tru fit Wade? Does Wade fit Tru? And then at that point because it is obvious from the tag number and what corners get paid, a heavy investment and you want to be right with that. Especially when you go long term. And that's because we got a lot of changing parts."

While Johnson's work with Phillips during the early portions of workouts could have belied some of the fit questions, the reason a trade never materialized is likely because the Rams couldn't find a partner to pay consummate value while also forking over so much money for one season -- or anteing up on a long-term extension.

With Johnson staying in L.A. for 2017, the question becomes a long-term one. If the 27-year-old cover man has a Pro Bowl season under Phillips, the Rams could be in a pickle next offseason. If he struggles to make the transition, they'll have paid a huge price for a mediocre year.

Two years ago, when the Rams chose to tag Johnson over Janoris Jenkins, the thought was that the team would have an easier time negotiating a long-term deal with Johnson than Jenkins. The optics of that thought process look shakier by the year.
    -04-24-2017, 02:45 PM
  • Rambos
    Chad Johnson
    by Rambos
    Would you make a trade for Chad Johnson, I'm not a big fan, but I would.

2nd round this year

2nd in 09 and I with toss in a 5th in 09.
    -02-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Working...
X