Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cities confident MLB will pick someone soon

Associated Press
    HOUSTON -- Baseball's No. 2 official expressed confidence Monday that the Montreal Expos will move before the 2005 season but wouldn't set a new deadline for a decision.

The Expos were bought by the other 29 teams before the 2002 season, and baseball at first hoped for a decision by July 2002 but later pushed it back to the 2003 All-Star break and then to this year's break. The bidding areas have said in recent weeks that they think a decision could be made by late July or early August.

"I've been hanged out to dry by coming out with proposed dates," Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, said before the All-Star Home Run Derby. "The sooner we get it done the better. I believe it will happen this summer. I believe it's very important we get this done this year."

Washington, D.C., and Northern Virginia's Loudoun County, near Dulles International Airport, appear to be the top contenders to land the Expos. Also bidding are Las Vegas, Monterrey, Mexico; Norfolk, Va.; Portland, Ore., and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Downtown Washington is about 40 miles from Baltimore's Camden Yards, and DuPuy acknowledged that Orioles owner Peter Angelos has openly opposed having a team move that close to his franchise. If the Expos move to either Washington or Northern Virginia, they would play at RFK Stadium, home of the expansion Washington Senators, before moving to a new ballpark in 2007 or 2008.

"He's expressed his view with the regard an impact a club in the Washington area would have on the Orioles," DuPuy said.

Commissioner Bud Selig said in May that he was concerned about the effect an Expos move to the nation's capital would have on the Orioles.

"It isn't only the Orioles, it's all teams," Selig said then. "I think it's the commissioner's responsibility to protect the 30 franchises."

Baseball officials met Friday with the Washington and Northern Virginia groups, and DuPuy said discussions are ongoing with all the bidding communities.

He also said it's possible baseball will decide where the Expos move before finalizing a deal to sell the team, a process that could extend into early 2005. He said that areas that don't wind up with the Expos could become contenders for other franchises.

"That's an inevitable conclusion you can draw if you're having eventual relocation," DuPuy said.

Selig says the Florida Marlins and Oakland Athletics need new ballparks to survive in their areas.

Re: Cities confident MLB will pick someone soon

I guess it's better than them playing games in Puerto Rico. Dayum. I really hope they move to Vegas. That is a kick ass city.

Comment

They're going to DC or Virginia. I guess the owners are split as to which one to go to so it'll be up to the commish. I'd rather see them in DC.

Vegas made a pitch to basically put themselves on the map. They'll now be one of the ones talked about when a team looks to get a new stadium or relocate. One interesting rumor I've heard is Montreal going to DC and Florida going to Vegas. That would be neat. It'll definitely be a tough sell since Vegas is more of a tourist spot than a living city. The population is skyrocketing, but it's all people coming from the East who already have teams to root for.

Comment

I looked in the paper recentley, Florida had like 20,000 fans for a weekend game (I beleive).....pretty lousy for a World Champion team. Them moving to Vegas however would screw up the "divisions" (Vegas in East?) but that's interesting. Actually, same with the Expos moving to Vegas, so I guess we'll see. Think they'd keep the name "Expos"? :bored:

Comment

The divisions wouldn't be that bad actually. Florida isn't going to get a stadium any time soon, money's tight. And, Huizenga is bending is former team over the coach on the stadium deal so I wouldn't blame them for leaving, but I think they'll try to stick it out as long as they can. Here's what I could see happening:

East
          Atlanta
          New York
          Philadelphia
          Pittsburgh
          Washington

Central
          Chicago
          Cincinnati
          Colorado
          Houston
          Milwaukee
          St. Louis

West
          Arizona
          Las Vegas
          Los Angeles
          San Diego
          San Francisco

Comment

Just never break up the Cubs/Cardinals and you can do anything you want.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
              Just never break up the Cubs/Cardinals and you can do anything you want.
              And for any Cubs fans that happen to be listening, Zambrano is a punk.

DJ, as far as that allignment, the West would become a pretty tough division.
              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Well, as it stands now, the West is already a tough division. LA, SF, and an uprising SD are all challenging. Colorado and Arizona are laughable though.

It's too bad, though, that DC is going to get a horrible team. The novelty will help attendance, but then drop off when everyone realizes they suck, which is why Angelos has a problem.....Already one crappy team in the area

Comment

Originally posted by DJRamfan
                  Well, as it stands now, the West is already a tough division. LA, SF, and an uprising SD are all challenging. Colorado and Arizona are laughable though.
                  As far as winning % (as of 7-20-04), these 3 are 2nd, 3rd, & 4th in the NL behind only the Redbirds. I don't know their schedule but there may be some inflation in play with the Rockies and D'backs in the division.
                  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison
                    I don't know their schedule but there may be some inflation in play with the Rockies and D'backs in the division.
                    Yeah, but every division has their patsies...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Milan
                      NFL no plan to move north
                      by Milan
                      DETROIT (CP) - A year after suggesting Toronto was a future candidate for NFL expansion, commissioner Paul Tagliabue slammed the door on the subject Friday.

Tagliabue told reporters at his annual state-of-the-union address Friday that the league has no plans to expand into Canada and the NFL's priority remains putting a team back into Los Angeles.

"I could not see, at least now, a decision that would involve a two-team expansion," Tagliabue said. "If there is expansion, I would think it would leave us with an odd number of teams for some period of time, which we have had in the past.

"I don't see expansion to Canada as being related to what we might do in Los Angeles."

The long-standing belief has been that if, or when, the NFL returns to Los Angeles it will add a second expansion team to keep its two conferences balanced.

Click Here

The NFL currently has 32 teams, 16 per conference. Los Angeles would make for 33. However, Tagliabue said the league is willing to go with an odd number of teams for several years, thus delivering a blow to Canada's chances of landing a club.

At last year's Super Bowl, Tagliabue said both Mexico and Toronto were future candidates for NFL expansion. The league opened the 2005 season in Mexico, with a record 103,467 fans cramming into Azteca Stadium to watch the Arizona Cardinals beat the San Francisco ***** 31-14.

The NFL has only staged exhibition games in Canada, in both Toronto and Vancouver.

CFL commissioner Tom Wright, who attended Friday's news conference, said Tagliabue is very aware of the impact an NFL team in Canada would have on CFL teams.

"Clearly the commissioner understood what our goals were and understood the importance of a partnership," Wright said afterwards. "He understands that a strong CFL is ultimately going to be good for football and what's good for football in Canada is going to help the NFL.

"We are now finishing almost a decade of a formal relationship with the NFL and I have every hope it will be another decade of a good relationship."

The CFL and NFL entered into a working agreement following the 1996 season, a deal that continues to allow players in the Canadian league entering the option year of their deals a six-week window to sign deals south of the border. The NFL-CFL deal runs through April 2007.

"Clearly he also knows the CFL wouldn't have had the chance to renew itself following the U.S. expansion had the NFL not stepped forward and supported us," Wright said. "They've seen what happens when there's a strong organization that is focused on growing the game in Canada and what it results in is a healthier football climate for both of our leagues."

Toronto has long lobbied for an NFL expansion franchise and in the past Tagliabue...
                      -02-03-2006, 05:51 PM
                    • DJRamFan
                      Owls ready to get kicked out of Big East nest
                      by DJRamFan
                      Oct. 7, 2004
                      SportsLine.com wire reports

PHILADELHPIA -- Temple's futility is startling even by the most awful standards.

Advertisement

There are the 13 consecutive losing seasons, no bowl games since 1979, six one-win seasons in the last 15 years and five times since 1992 the Owls failed to win a conference game. The Owls spent most of the last two decades without a permanent home and crowds were as sparse as the victories.

It gets worse.

Big East teams decided it was no longer worth the automatic win to keep the Owls around. The conference gave the Owls a shove out of the nest and told them to look elsewhere to get kicked around.

That was in March 2001. Time has run out for the Owls who start their final Big East season Saturday against Pittsburgh. Even a conference that only months ago was fighting for teams to stay wouldn't give the Owls another chance.

The Owls are now looking for a home.

"Temple may have been the only D-I member ever ousted from a league," Temple athletic director Bill Bradshaw said.

The Owls now face life as an independent, if the program even stays around at all. Temple created a task force examining the viability of all its teams, with football -- for once -- on top.

The reason for the eviction: The Owls didn't meet minimum requirements for membership, most notably in attendance, facilities and fielding a competitive team. Plus, Temple never had all its teams in the Big East, including men and women's basketball which plays in the Atlantic 10.

"We have to make an honest evaluation of where we want to be and if we're willing to make the commitments necessary to do that," said Bradshaw, who was not the AD at the time Temple was axed from the Big East.

Temple tried to spruce up the program. The Owls built a state of the art practice facility at their north campus that opened in 2001 and reached a deal last year with the Philadelphia Eagles to play all home games at Lincoln Financial Field.

Attendance has always been a problem and playing in an NFL stadium was supposed to be a draw.

Instead, the Owls were 85th in the country last year out of 117 Division I teams. Still, it was better than in 2001 when they were 94th out of 115 teams.

Advertisement

The record certainly hasn't helped.

The Owls haven't had a winning record since they went 7-4 under Jerry Berndt in 1990 and had only one winning season in the 1980s (6-5, 1984). The Owls failed to win a game in 1986 and are 1-4 this year, including a 70-16 loss last week at home to Bowling Green.

It was one of many humbling and disheartening games for Bobby Wallace, who's coached the Owls since 1998. Wallace has never won more than four games...
                      -10-08-2004, 02:20 PM
                    • DJRamFan
                      A new Force field?
                      by DJRamFan
                      By Corey Clark
                      [email protected]

Staff Photo: Craig Moore
                      Georgia Force owner Arthur Blank speaks during an afternoon press conference Monday at the Falcons’ Flowery Branch headquarters. Blank spoke about the possibility of moving the team’s games to Philips Arena in Atlanta.

FLOWERY BRANCH — In the next two weeks, the Georgia Force will officially announce whether it will continue to play games at the Arena at Gwinnett Center.
                      Though new team president Dick Sullivan called it a “coin flip” during a press conference Monday at the team’s new facility in Flowery Branch, it appears as if he and owner Arthur Blank are already presenting their case for a move back to Atlanta.
                      “There’s a couple of things,” Sullivan said about the reasons to move the team to Philips Arena. “There’s a lot of excitement taking place downtown. Obviously with the addition of the World of Coke and the aquarium and all the great things that are being done downtown, it seems like a logical place for us to look at.
                      “But importantly, we received research back, and the fans’ interest in Philips is very, very high. Every route — 75, 85, 400, 20 — it all leads to downtown. But at the same time we love Gwinnett. I think Gwinnett is terrific. I attended a couple of games there, and they’ve done a phenomenal job in that building.”
                      However, it’s the building itself, or more specifically the seating capacity, that has the Force’s new management concerned. The Arena at Gwinnett Center has a capacity of just 11,200, while Philips seats 20,300 for Hawks games and 18,750 for Thrashers contests.
                      “The difficulty we have is that it is the second-smallest arena in the AFL,” Sullivan said. “And nothing I know that Arthur’s ever done wants to be associated with the second smallest. Because of the demand that we already have within the marketplace, we think that we could fill up Philips. So when you’re dealing with the difference between 10 and 15,000, we want to be able to reach out to as many fans as possible.”
                      The question is: Will they?
                      The Force drew 9,160 people per home game in 2004, which ranked 16th in the 19-team league and was almost 3,000 below the AFL average of 12,019. But those figures were an improvement on the team’s attendance in 2002, when the Force drew just 7,070 people per game at Philips before deciding to move to Gwinnett under former owner Virgil Williams.
                      Sullivan, who is also the marketing chief for the Falcons, doesn’t seem concerned about those low numbers repeating themselves if the team moves back for the 2005 season.
                      “There are a lot of things that are stacked in our favor,” he said. “When you look at the last couple of years, NFL owners that have purchased AFL teams, their teams rank in the top five of the 20 teams in terms of attendance. So, if you’re an NFL-owned team, you’re going to historically be at the top...
                      -08-25-2004, 10:08 AM
                    • DJRamFan
                      Build it and they will come....
                      by DJRamFan
                      Associated Press
                      PITTSBURGH -- Baseball might abandon its long-standing policy of alternating All-Star sites between National League and American League cities and award the 2007 game to another NL city, commissioner Bud Selig said Tuesday.

Minutes after officially announcing Pittsburgh would host its second All-Star game in 12 years in 2006, Selig said he expects to reveal the 2007, 2008 and 2009 sites later this summer.

PNC Park will be the '06 All-Star field of dreams.

With San Francisco, Arizona, Cincinnati, Philadelphia and San Diego all playing in new or relatively new ballparks and St. Louis to follow in 2006, one NL city would have to wait until 2018 for an All-Star game should baseball stay with its traditional but no-longer mandatory rotation.

By contrast, only the refurbished Anaheim Angels ballpark and Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg won't have been All-Star sites among the newer AL parks, once Detroit stages the 2005 game.

"I don't believe that it [the rotation] is as important as it used to be," Selig said. "I think the important thing is to try to be fair. In a perfect world, you would alternate NL and AL, but it's more important to reward franchises, I think, that really need to have the game because of their venue. There are so many great new ballparks, and that's the nice part."

The hard part, he said, it deciding which cities must wait, especially when teams such as Kansas City already have waited more than 30 years for a game.

"What I'd like to do even during the course of this summer is to at least award the games for 2007, 2008 and 2009 so they have enough time to get to work on it," Selig said. "There are a lot of cities that have new ballparks and have an intense desire to have an All-Star game. I'll just have to be as fair as possible."

Phoenix and San Francisco also wanted the 2006 game, which was awarded to Pittsburgh partly to pump up the Pirates' slumping attendance. Their average crowd has dropped by 10,000 a game since PNC Park opened in 2001, even though the riverfront ballpark is widely regarded as one of baseball's best venues.

Pirates managing general partner Kevin McClatchy was "relentless" in pursuing the game, Selig said, sometimes to the point of being overly intense.

"I made the decision, and I meant what I said that the competition was incredible and there will be a lot of disappointed people," Selig said. "I have to try to be fair. I understand they had only had a game 12 years ago, but they met all the criteria other than that. They have a gorgeous ballpark ... and Kevin McClatchy was about as tenacious as you can get."...
                      -07-21-2004, 08:37 AM
                    • MauiRam
                      Moving from St. Louis to Los Angeles could be costly chore for the Rams' players
                      by MauiRam
                      By RYAN KARTJE

It was 1995, only months before the Browns would leave Cleveland for Baltimore to become the Ravens, when Matt Stover decided it was finally time to put down roots in Ohio. This turned out to be very unfortunate timing.

But for the Browns’ fifth-year kicker, it seemed like a sensible time to settle down. Stover was 27, with a newborn daughter and a son on the way. Stability is rare for an NFL kicker, but on the heels of his best season yet, he’d just signed a new four-year contract. So he and his wife found a modest, $240,000 home in an up-and-coming neighborhood and moved in.

Then, in November, the Browns announced they were moving out.

“Obviously, we didn’t have any control over it,” Stover said this week, 20 years later. “We had to move. So we thought, ‘The (team is) going to help us. They’re going to move us.’”

“Well, that’s not what happened.”

Instead, players found themselves wrapped up in a logistical nightmare, shelling out their own money and ironing out their own details for a move to Baltimore. Some didn’t wind up moving until June. And for many of the organization’s lower-paid players, the move turned out to be a significant financial burden.

Stover, making a modest salary by NFL standards, was forced to take a loss on his family’s new house. By the time he’d finally made the move, he was out $50,000, without a single dollar reimbursed by the organization.

Now, with the NFL’s latest massive relocation project underway in Los Angeles, the former kicker cautions that Rams players moving from St. Louis could experience a similar – and assuredly more expensive – relocation nightmare in the coming months, if the organization doesn’t provide the proper help.

Article 36 of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement calls for relocating teams to cover the cost of player moving expenses. But it notes that players must “establish permanent residence” prior to the first regular-season game to be eligible. When Stover finally found a furnished place in April 1996, just before the start of offseason activities, he opted to rent in Baltimore and send his belongings to his home state of Texas, instead of buying another house. Under the CBA, the organization wasn’t on the hook to reimburse him.

In the language of the current CBA, the definition of “moving expenses” remains vague. The explicitly listed offerings for traded or claimed players are extensive, including first-class, round-trip airfare, equivalent of two months rent or mortgage payments in the player’s current city not exceeding $6,950, and the cost of a week’s hotel stay. But there’s no mention of any financial package entitled to relocating players.

As the Browns’ players union representative in 1996, Stover even went to the NFL to broker a deal for a financial package for relocating players. The league...
                      -01-24-2016, 11:01 AM
                    Working...
                    X