• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger's Tourney draws criticism

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...v=ap&type=lgns

Criticism mounts over new event having short field
    By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer
    March 8, 2007

PALM HARBOR, Fla. (AP) -- Saying he was "insulted" by the prospect of Tiger Woods' new tournament being treated like an invitational, Rich Beem said he would rally players against the PGA Tour to make sure the event had a full field.

"It's the most totally wrong thing I've heard of in a long time that's sticking it to the players," Beem said Thursday.

PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem has said that the AT&T National, to be played July 5-8 in Washington with Woods as the host, likely would be considered along the lines of tournaments run by Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer that have limited fields.

The Memorial Tournament has a minimum of 105 players, while the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill has a minimum of 120 players, although 133 eligible players already have committed to play next week in Orlando.

Finchem said several details have not been finalized for the tournament, which will be run by the Tiger Woods Foundation.

"I've had some preliminary conversations with our board and I have to believe that we will work with Tiger and the foundation to fine-tune it," Finchem said at a press conference Wednesday. "But my guess is that at the end of the day, the field size will be commensurate with what you generally see in invitationals, which is a somewhat limited field."

This caught several players by surprise.

"I was shocked when I heard that," Brad Faxon said. "We've got players looking for spots, and we're replacing a tournament that had a full field. With the amount of tournaments we have that are invitationals, it doesn't make sense to do more."

Other invitationals on the PGA Tour include the MCI Heritage and the Colonial. That doesn't include the three World Golf Championships.

Faxon and Beem are part of the 16-member Player Advisory Council, which reports to the tour's policy board.

PGA Tour spokesman Ty Votaw said PAC input would be included before Finchem makes a formal recommendation to the policy board. The next scheduled meeting of the PAC is not until the end of April.

This is the second time in the last five months that some players have felt Finchem spoke too soon.

In November, the commissioner said the playoff events for the FedEx Cup this year would have 144-man fields, with players being mathematically eliminated from contention along the way, even though they could still tee it up. In a revolt led by Tom Pernice Jr., the tour changed course and decided to reduce the fields to 120 players, then 70 players until 30 players reached the Tour Championship.

"We're trying to get back more spots throughout the year, and all of a sudden we're going to have a limited-field tournament? That goes against everything the players voted on with the playoff system," Beem said. "If that stays the way it is, I promise you there will be some action taken."

He said players can override the board if it gets support of 66 percent of the voting membership.

Meanwhile, policy board member Joe Ogilvie said the tour is looking into making all invitationals more consistent in their eligibility and the size of their field, which might add opportunities for players throughout the FedEx Cup season.

Last year's tournament in the nation's capital was a 156-man field, won by Ben Curtis on a Tuesday because of rain delays.

Finchem said the "prestige" of the new event would be one reason for a shorter field. Another reason he mentioned was the steamy conditions in Washington during Fourth of July week.

"We want the pace of play and the experience for the players to be positive, as well," Finchem said. "So you put those two things together, and it argues for a somewhat shorter field. And I think that's where we'll be."

Re: Tiger's Tourney draws criticism

lessee.. this is the "game" where one places a dimpled ball on a tee so as to lift it off the ground and make it easier to hit with a flat (albeit it tapered) surface, wait for it to stop moving so they can hit it again with a different flat faced club? The fewer times you hit it before it rolls into a hole the better you are?

Hmmmm.. maybe if I ever tried it I might have more respect for the game? >8)

RnD

GO RAMS!!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ramblin` Ram
      so much for our current "heroes".
      by Ramblin` Ram
      Birk committed to cause

A disappointing number of players contributed to the Gridiron Greats program, but the center vows to keep at it.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Vikings center Matt Birk said he was surprised but not deterred by the poor response from NFL players who were asked to donate part of their game checks from a December game to assist former players who face severe health and financial hardships.

Taking a leading role in the Gridiron Greats program, Birk donated $50,000 and also sent a letter to every NFL player encouraging them to donate a portion of their Dec. 21 game check. Of the nearly 1,700 active players in the league, only about 20 donated to the cause, including eight of Birk's Vikings teammates.

Birk acknowledged Tuesday he was surprised that only about 1 percent of the active players donated, but he vowed to work harder to raise awareness for the cause.

"It's not going to deter me from getting the message out there," said Birk, who was honored at the Super Bowl as a finalist for the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award. "I'm going to fight for this cause. It's in the best interests of everybody involved in this league. We're going to pick it apart and figure out how we can do better."

Jennifer Smith, executive director of the Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund, said the number of players who donated part of their game checks was less than last year, when the organization raised between $275,000 and $300,000.

However, Smith said donations still are coming in and blamed some of the response on time constraints. Players received Birk's letter only 10 days before the Dec. 21 date.

Former Bears coach Mike Ditka, a member of the Gridiron Greats board of directors, was less diplomatic in his response to USA Today when asked about the number of players who contributed.

"What's that tell you?" Ditka told the paper. "Would you call it apathy?"

Gridiron Greats assists former players, some of whom are in dire need of basic necessities. At a press conference in the Twin Cities in December, former player Dwight Harrison said he lives in a trailer with no running water in Beaumont, Texas.

Birk, who reiterated that Gridiron Greats has nothing to do with pensions, addressed the problems in his letter to players.

"Sadly, the price paid by some of those who came before us has been too costly," he wrote. "They live in excruciating physical pain and severe mental anguish as a direct result from their playing days.

"In too many instances, these men have had to deplete their financial resources in an attempt to achieve a quality of life that is bearable at best and many have no health insurance or access to medical care. The toll of playing football has left some of our brothers...
      -02-04-2009, 07:49 AM
    • RamWraith
      A different take on off-season workouts
      by RamWraith
      Howard Balzer
      Sports Xchange

For a while, it seemed as if there was almost a tacit acknowledgement by players that a certain amount of contact in off-season workouts was going to happen. A wink-wink, if you will.

After all, for several weeks, there were reports from all over the NFL landscape about the contact that was occurring. Most of the evidence came from the players themselves.
      Consider that rules regarding off-season workouts have been negotiated between the players association and league. Even though, except for one mandatory minicamp, the workouts are voluntary for veterans, there are strict guidelines. Teams can only have 14 days of Organized Team Activities (OTAs), and there are also other restrictions, including one that limits the number of hours players can be "required" to be on the field or at the team facility.

Most contact is generally prohibited, but the rules specify that there can be no practicing of the bump-and-run or contact between offensive and defensive linemen. Players can wear only helmets and some shoulder protection, but no regular pads.

In past years, there have often been a few violations each off-season, which result in a club losing some OTA days. For a team to be called on the carpet, usually a player is the one to blow the whistle on his team. When that happens, the NFLPA requests practice tape, after which the penalties can occur. The union could also investigate if it sees media reports of contact.

A few years ago, then-Arizona guard Pete Kendall was released just before training camp started with the belief it happened because then-Cardinals coach Dennis Green thought it was Kendall who reported the team to the union, resulting in a loss of off-season practice time.

This year, however, things were quiet on the violation front until last week, when suddenly the Raiders were slapped with a one-week penalty. It is not yet known if a player was the culprit. But there are also suspicions that the union acted, just to make it seem they are paying attention.

The ban means little since the Raiders had already concluded their on-field work. In reality, that is often the case. Even though teams are permitted to have those 14 OTAs over five weeks, most teams don't use them all anyway. So, losing the final week, which is often the discipline, amounts to a slap on the wrist.

After being notified of the decision, a statement from Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said, "I was notified that the players union believes our total commitment to improving our football team has resulted in some violations of rules regarding practice standards. The union has complained about the high level of intensity, player aggressiveness and fast pace of our practices and, as a result, has taken away the final week of our off-season program."

One player didn't seem to mind. Said...
      -06-23-2007, 05:46 PM
    • Nick
      Debate over HGH in the NFL continues with no end in sight
      by Nick
      Debate over HGH in the NFL continues with no end in sight
      By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel
      April 30, 2013

Green Bay - As soon as the three letters are mentioned - H-G-H - the player laughs. Human growth hormone? In the NFL? Come on. HGH use is rampant, this NFC starter says.

"It's like clockwork nowadays," he said, estimating 10-15 players on each team use the banned substance. "Not tested and it's easy to get. Nowadays, dude? In 2013? (Expletive) yeah. I'm just being real."

When the NFL and NFLPA ended their labor dispute in 2011, they agreed that HGH testing was needed. The problem was acknowledged. Two years later, the problem still has not been addressed. The NFLPA claims it wants a fair process. The league has yet to do much beyond tough talk.

What's certain is that HGH is prevalent and the pressure to fuel one's body with performance-enhancing supplements runs high. As long as there's no stringent HGH testing in place - with clear, steep consequences - its use will continue.

While many current players insist they want testing, they want a clean game, they want doubts extinguished, the truth remains clouded.

This NFC starter has heard all of the off-season talking points. He calls such rhetoric "nonsense."

Considering the pressure players face, he says HGH should not even be an issue.

"I say, just let guys do it," he said. "This is our career. We're putting on for fans. I say . . . HGH isn't anything. I say, do it. . . . You're going to get hit hard regardless whether you're clean or not clean. It's just a matter of how hard you get hit. I don't care who's taking it. A hit is a hit."
      A growing athlete

One reality cannot be ignored. Players in the NFL are getting bigger, stronger and faster.

Emphasis on bigger.

Through his five decades in the league, Gil Brandt has seen exponential growth. In 1983, the former Dallas Cowboys vice president of player personnel points out, the biggest tight end drafted was Tony Hunter, out of Notre Dame at 6 feet, 4 inches tall and 236 pounds. In this year's NFL draft, 19 tight ends average 247 pounds. Fourteen are 6-foot-4 or taller.

In the trenches, offensive lineman have transformed from husky to gargantuan. At the NFL scouting combine in February, two offensive linemen weighed less than 300 pounds. Two of 58. And they were both a Snickers bar away, too. One was 298 pounds, one was 299. In 1979, Brandt says the largest player drafted was Oklahoma's Sam Claphan at 272 pounds.

This isn't a reversible trend. The size of players in the NFL will only increase.

"I would imagine so," Brandt said. "The kids are getting bigger. Everybody's getting bigger today."

Of course, advancements in training, nutrition and technology are all...
      -05-01-2013, 03:26 PM
    • DJRamFan
      Some Gators might leave following 'ill-timed' Zook firing
      by DJRamFan
      Oct. 26, 2004
      SportsLine.com wire reports

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The decision to fire Florida coach Ron Zook was welcomed by Gator fans around the country.

Advertisement

It didn't get the same reception in the locker room.

Players strongly defended their coach Tuesday and chastised athletic director Jeremy Foley for the timing of the move.

"He basically just ripped the heart out of the team," safety Jarvis Herring said. "He kept saying it was all about the team, all about the team. No, it's not about the team. It's really about the damn boosters and the fans or whatever. That's all it's about. It's nothing about us. We're just in the middle. We're just trapped."

Zook held a team meeting Monday to inform the players of his dismissal, then gave the floor to Foley. What followed was another embarrassing scene in what has become a season filled with them for the Gators.

Some players yelled at Foley. Others got up and walked out.

Florida AD Jeremy Foley draws the ire of some players after Ron Zook's firing.(AP)
      "It got very heated," Herring said. "The questions only lasted 10 minutes. If it would've lasted any longer, there's no telling what might've happened."

Linebacker Travis Harris was one of the few players who stood up in the meeting and questioned Foley about the firing, which came five days before Florida's annual rivalry game against 10th-ranked Georgia.

"I just let him know that it wasn't well-thought out," said Harris, a senior. "If a decision needs to be made, that's cool. But if the coach is going to remain the whole season, why put a damper on this year like that? Why not wait?

"I just don't understand that. It just felt like he was saying, 'Forget the rest of this season. I don't care what you guys think."'

Harris said Foley never actually answered his question.

"He just gave me the run-around," Harris said. "He said you're entitled to your opinion. He felt like it was the best thing to do and blah, blah, blah."

It shouldn't be a surprise that the team backed Zook, a great recruiter who has often been criticized for being too close to his players.

Advertisement

He has been accused of being too lenient when handing down punishments, including recently when he didn't penalize three players involved in a fight with fraternity members on campus. Hours later, Zook showed up at the fraternity house and got into a shouting match with several students.

Standout linebacker Channing Crowder has been arrested twice in as many years, but was suspended just one game for each arrest.

There also was Zook's handling of suspensions...
      -10-27-2004, 11:16 AM
    • DJRamFan
      Gators' new general keeping tabs on, off field
      by DJRamFan
      July 29, 2005
      By Dennis Dodd
      CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
      Tell Dennis your opinion!

HOOVER, Ala. -- In a league that seemingly has many knuckleheads as All-Americans, Urban Meyer has become the lord of discipline in the SEC.

Let's just say if the touchdowns scored by Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia this season can match the number of arrests, that would be a good thing. Meanwhile, Florida's new coach is walking the walk.

All eyes will be on Chris Leak to carry the Gators. (Getty Images)
      Unlike a portion of his SEC brethren, Florida's new coach is proactive when it comes to The Discipline Thing. It almost seems like he wants to catch wrongdoers.

Seniors are dispatched to local clubs on weekends, sort of like hall monitors, checking to see if their teammates are staying in line.

"It was after one workout, one Thursday night," said free safety Jarvis Herring who was rousted off the couch by one of Meyer's duty calls. "He'll call you in advance."

Herring has been transformed. He told the New York Times that last offseason (under former coach Ron Zook), he and teammates would start drinking in the morning and not stop until late at night -- or until the booze ran out.

Zook, a masterful recruiter, was largely criticized for the team's lack of discipline off the field.

Now Herring is a decorated hall monitor. Meyer chose him to come here as one of the Florida players to speak to the press during SEC preseason media days. While the surveillance might make some Gator upperclassmen uncomfortable about informing on their teammates, it does install a sense of responsibility.

"When I worked for Earle Bruce, he told me discipline is 90 percent anticipation," Meyer said before departing here for Gainesville. "I really believe that. (When we get home) I'm going to drive over and walk through some of the dorm rooms and see how they're doing. I want to meet their parents. I want to know if their mom and dad say they should be at church on Sunday."

Once-a-semester "champions dinners" have been established to honor those players who have achieved as citizens, students and athletes. Those who have get special Florida gear and eat gourmet food in a white-tablecloth setting. In the same room, though, the slackers get hot dogs on paper plates to be reminded of their underachieving status.

"We think that Coach Meyer is going to be the future," senior offensive lineman Mike Degory said. "We're ready to buy into it right now. What he demands from us is a lot of responsibility, a lot of time. What he's going to reward us with is a lot of wins. That's a fair trade in my book."

Meyer is not as hard as he looks. Last year's...
      -07-31-2005, 03:00 PM
    Working...
    X