Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWE superstar Chris Benoit dead, discovered with family at home

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/...4C0oRQerUE1vAI

What a horrible, horrible story. As an off and on wrestling fan since a kid, I always respected Benoit as a really professional and talented performer. But this... wow. Hopefully as the evidence is discovered, it'll somehow turn out he didn't do it.

Re: WWE superstar Chris Benoit dead, discovered with family at home

I never watched Professional Wrasslin' but the story is still a sad one.

I can not imagine being so despondent as to kill one's kid(s) and wife ant then one's self.

Hopefully, as you said Nick, evidence will clear Benoit of a murder suicide and point to a triple homicide. Which is bad enough in itself.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

As a lifelong wrestling fan, I too am deeply saddened by this news. RIP to the relatives of the Benoit family and thank you to Chris for being such a wonderful competitor for many years. This is a terrible tragedy for all involved. Here's an update:

According to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the Fayette County Police Department is now working under the theory that Chris Benoit killed his wife Nancy on Saturday, his son Daniel on Sunday, and then himself earlier today.

According to one anonymous source within the police department, Chris was found dead in his weight room; Nancy was found dead in the living room; and Daniel was found dead in his bedroom.

As we reported earlier Lt. Tommy Pope told ABC News "the instruments of death were located on the scene," but didn't specify what those were or where they were found.

Comment

As a father of 2 with #3 on the way, I can not wrap my mind around the idea of a parent harming their own child in any way.

What is it (beyond the obvious steroids) about that business that seems to cultivate tragic stories?
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Reports are that Benoit strangled his wife Friday, then smothered his son on Saturday, then hanged himself on Monday with a cord on a weight lifting machine that he had in his basement. Steroids were reportedly found in the home. Benoit's only previous trouble with the law was being charged with a DUI in the past and a minor domestic dispute with his wife.

Sad story. Most news outlets are attributing this terrible tragedy to "roid rage"

Comment

Most news outlets are attributing this terrible tragedy to "roid rage"
            Which is most likely b.s. Im not trying to be a jerk and I am far from an expert on it but I would say there were other factors involved. Roid Rage was more a problem with the early steroids of the late seventies and early eighties. Acne is the number one side effect from todays steroids. That is of course when being used by people whos bodies have already matured. They are still crapo and I am not supporting the use of roids at all.

Benoit had taken some time off work a week before the incident and pulled out of a PPV event that was scheduled. He was going through personal problems that were undisclosed. My guess is the life on tour, depression, and I bet they find out he used drugs other then steroids, contributed to the mans mental breakdown. This is tragic and disgusting and I am baffled as I would kill for my 4 year old not ever do the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce=GOAT View Post
              Reports are that Benoit strangled his wife Friday, then smothered his son on Saturday, then hanged himself on Monday with a cord on a weight lifting machine that he had in his basement. Steroids were reportedly found in the home. Benoit's only previous trouble with the law was being charged with a DUI in the past and a minor domestic dispute with his wife.

Sad story. Most news outlets are attributing this terrible tragedy to "roid rage"
              World Wrestling Entertainment is stunned and saddened by the details released by local authorities concerning the double homicide-suicide involving Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son, Daniel.

However, WWE is concerned with the sensationalistic reporting and speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department and the District Attorney. During the press conference, the investigating authorities made the following points, all of which run contrary to the media speculation that "roid rage" was a factor in the senseless murders and suicide:

1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.

WWE is continuing to monitor the ongoing investigation being conducted by local authorities.
              http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitpressrelease

#4 seems like the most significant reason as to why this wasn't a steroid issue, IMO. But ultimately we should wait for the toxicology reports before saying one way or another.

Regardless, it seems clear that Benoit actually was the killer, and I've lost what respect I had for him as a wrestler. This story is sick, and I'm glad that the WWE has responded by removing every tribute they had for him from their site and programming.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitpressrelease

#4 seems like the most significant reason as to why this wasn't a steroid issue, IMO. But ultimately we should wait for the toxicology reports before saying one way or another.

Regardless, it seems clear that Benoit actually was the killer, and I've lost what respect I had for him as a wrestler. This story is sick, and I'm glad that the WWE has responded by removing every tribute they had for him from their site and programming.
                Nick, I agree 100%. These actions are not those of one having a roid rage. But steroids do lead to mood swings as well. Reports are coming out now from WSB-750 AM radio in Atlanta that the only drugs found were legal anabolic steroids (didn't know there was such a thing), and human growth hormone. As well, they are reporting that Benoit's son was using human growth hormone (can't be good for a 7-year-old, unless it was for some medical reason).

While I do agree with you, Nick, I think it's pretty filthy that WWE's press release is basically for the purpose of coming to the defense of steroids.

Comment

Yeah they have had a love hate relationship with roids since the late seventies early eighties. I do think it is time that we start educating people on steroid use a little bit better in this country though. It is becominga major factor in todays high school sports. Maybe even the reason there has been so many heart issues into todays high school athletics programs. We have lost 2 local kids in the last 5 years too heart attacks on the court or field.

Comment

steroids, no steroids, nice guy, not a nice guy, talented pro wrestler or not, at the end of the day, if anyone is going to hell, this guy is at the front of the line. He will be sharing a nice spot in hell some day with andrea yates, who killed her five kids.

Legal defense aside, so much of this crap makes me sick. He killed his wife and kid and did it in a deliberate way. I dont really care why, this is not defensible on any level at all. I am not suggesting anyone on the board is defending him, but there are certain acts in life that are so beyond despicable that it doesnt matter what else you do in your life, the one bad act can condemn you for eternity.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by General Counsel
                      He killed his wife and kid and did it in a deliberate way
                      Thanks, yet again, to GC for clearing away the smoke and showing us exactly where the rubber meets the road.

I take no pleasure at the thought of any soul in hell. However, I do take pleasure knowing that little boy will never have to look at the face of his killer again for the rest of eternity.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ramblin` Ram
                        so long Grasshopper. Kung Fu star found dead
                        by Ramblin` Ram
                        pa.press.net
                        Thursday, 04 June 2009

David Carradine has been found dead in a Bangkok hotel room.

The 72-year-old Kill Bill and Kung Fu star was in Thailand filming his latest film Stretch, according to his personal manager Chuck Binder.

Mr Binder told the BBC the news was "shocking", adding: "He was full of life, always wanting to work... a great person."

Carradine was found by crew members after failing to turn up for a dinner.

The Nation newspaper quoted police sources as saying he was found hanged in his luxury room and is believed to have committed suicide.

Carradine is perhaps still best known for his role as a Shaolin priest travelling the American frontier West in Kung Fu, which was shown on TV from 1972-75.

He said recently: "I'm too old for the parts I did 35 years ago. But instead, what I get now with this nice little pile of quality movies that are all waiting to be released, is this assortment of really tough old men."
                        -06-04-2009, 01:53 PM
                      • psycho9985
                        Information over due
                        by psycho9985

While our GI's are in Iraq, the supper table at the homes of their parents is a time of somber tones and hidden stress, even if only talking about the weather or the high school football game; a time of listening for a car pulling into the driveway; a time of wanting to watch the news but then again not; and a time of a certain amount of discomfort when thinking of trying to go to sleep at night.

At least that is the way I remember it at my parents' supper time while I was growing up in southern Middle Tennessee 1967-1971.

In 1967, my oldest brother John, a 1st Lt. in the Army, came by our home in Tennessee to say goodbye to our parents before leaving for duty in Vietnam. I remember John and my parents having many discussions about the logistics of him being away for a year: who would take care of his car, where his belongings would be stored, what to do if he did not come back, and of many other topics which I do not remember. What I remember most of those discussions was that they were in somber, matter-of-fact tones.

My father worked at the nearby Air Force base as a weapons engineer. Not long after John left the country, my father made the comment one night at dinner that he knew most of the Air Force personnel out at the base (some of whom were later killed in Vietnam during flight operations) and even knew the officers tasked with bringing the casualty news to local families.
                        That last point stuck with me for the next four years.

Before John had come home safely, the cycle started over again. At Christmas dinner in 1968, my #3 brother James announced to my parents that on his way home from college he had stopped in Nashville and joined the Marines. By late 1969, James was on patrols as a squad sergeant up near the DMV. Fortunately, James also made it home.

Nightly during those years, my parents and I would eat supper together and discuss the evening news as reported by Huntley and Brinkley. During those years, supper time was a somber, tension filled meal. We discussed the war and the politics. We discussed the student protests, the ministers condemning the war from pulpits, the racial riots, the campuses shutting down. I know my parents (both conservative, both Depression veterans and yet neither probably ever voted Republican in their lives) struggled with LBJ's inability to define Vietnam and make a decision about it. All the contradictions and uncertainties and blatant falsities of the time, however, did not damage my father's principles. I think back at those talks and realize the seriousness of the discussions and my father's insights shaped me into a life long political conservative.

I also better now remember now the tone of what underlay these talks: the parental angst, the stress, the reduced amount of humor (humor was an endearing trait of my father), and the lack of liveliness in our supper
                        -05-14-2005, 10:10 PM
                      • UtterBlitz
                        'Crocodile Hunter' Dead at 44
                        by UtterBlitz
                        Tis a sad day

'Crocodile Hunter' Dead at 44
                        Steve Irwin Killed by Stingray During Filming

CAIRNS, Australia (Sept. 4) -- Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter." First broadcast in Australia in 1992, the program was picked up by the Discovery network, catapulting Irwin to international celebrity.

He rode his image into a feature film, 2002's "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course" and developed the wildlife park that his parents opened, Australia Zoo, into a major tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"

Prime Minister John Howard, who hand-picked Irwin to attend a gala barbecue to honor President Bush when he visited in 2003, said he was "shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death."

"It's a huge loss to Australia," Howard told reporters. "He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

Irwin, who made a trademark of hovering dangerously close to untethered crocodiles and leaping on their backs, spoke in rapid-fire bursts with a thick Australian accent and was almost never seen without his uniform of khaki shorts and shirt and heavy boots.

His ebullience was infectious and Australian officials sought him out for photo opportunities and to promote Australia internationally.

Irwin's public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son...
                        -09-04-2006, 08:24 AM
                      • TekeRam
                        The Education of Chris Long - SI Lee Jenkins
                        by TekeRam
                        Thanks to the lessons of his Hall of Famer dad, the Virginia standout learned early that to be a top NFL prospect requires an uncommon passion

Posted: Tuesday March 4, 2008 9:27AM; Updated: Tuesday March 4, 2008 9:33AM

As the ground shook and the trees swayed, Diane and Howie Long scooped the three boys out of their beds, grabbed armfuls of blankets and pillows, and made their way to the front door. The boys knew the drill by heart. Every day Howie would park his Chevy Suburban in the same spot in the driveway, just beyond the reach of the tallest trees. If an earthquake rattled Los Angeles, it meant they were all spending the night in the Suburban -- two adults, three kids and two dogs. "You had to think about aftershocks," Howie said.
                        The Longs lived in Los Angeles for 12 years, while Howie starred at defensive end for the Raiders and Diane worked as a corporate lawyer. But shortly after the Northridge earthquake in January 1994 -- 6.7 on the Richter scale -- they decided they'd spent too many sleepless nights in their Suburban. So they embarked on a national search for a new home. Possible destinations included Oregon, Cape Cod and the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina.
                        They settled in Charlottesville, Va., a genteel college town of red bricks, white columns and trees that generally stay upright. For the boys -- Chris, Kyle and Howie Jr. -- Charlottesville was a haven and a playground. They went fishing in Sugar Hollow and inner-tubing in the James River. They attended school four miles from home, at St. Anne's-Belfield. And when it came time for the oldest, Chris, to choose a college, all he had to do was cross Ivy Road from St. Anne's-Belfield to reach the University of Virginia.
                        It all looked so easy. He had the Hall of Fame father, the big house, the summers in Montana, the weekends in L.A. with Terry Bradshaw and Jimmy Johnson at the Fox Sports studio. But when Chris accepted a football scholarship to Virginia and e-mailed another recruit, linebacker Clint Sintim, to introduce himself, Sintim did not respond. "I didn't really care for him," said Sintim, who had yet to meet Long. "I thought he was just a rich kid with a famous dad."
                        Then Sintim got to Virginia and saw how Long approached game days. Chris had eye black smeared across his cheeks and D-Block blasting out of his headphones. He stalked around the locker room, screaming at himself and his teammates, explaining in vivid detail how he was going to annihilate the man in front of him and how his teammates would annihilate the men in front of them. "Who's going to ride with me?" he hollered. "Who's going to ride with me?" This did not sound like some spoiled rich kid. It sounded like Ray Lewis.
                        Football players, especially pass rushers, are often fueled by hardships they faced early in their lives. This is true for Lewis, for Shawne Merriman and for Howie...
                        -03-07-2008, 02:07 PM
                      • txramsfan
                        Auburn Tiger seeking shelter from the storm
                        by txramsfan
                        http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...ene&id=2156454

AUBURN, Ala. -- Hattie Wimberley drowned in her own house. The flood waters chased her into the attic of her New Orleans home and kept rising until the sheetrock ceiling melted into mush and dropped her into the unforgiving darkness. She was the first of Alonzo Horton's relatives to die.

Four days later, only minutes before midnight, Horton's cell phone began to ring again. Those same hellish waters of Hurricane Katrina had surged into the gymnasium of New Orleans' Marion Abramson High School, which was being used as an assembly point for evacuees, and created another watery tomb. This time it was Horton's younger brothers, Jerry and Delorean, who lost their lives.

"My old high school," says Horton, sitting on a love seat in the office of Auburn team chaplain Chette Williams. "The water thing was so bad, they said once they opened the door, water came rushing in. It was probably 11:58 when I found out. The funny thing about that is after I found that out, at 12:01 my phone alarm went off to let me know it was game day and that was also my little brother's birthday."

Jerry would have turned 8. Delorean was 6. Depending on the rumors, second-hand accounts, and Internet reports -- and Horton has heard them all -- very few people emerged from the Abramson shelter alive.

"September 3rd," says the freshman defensive end in a voice cauterized by nearly two weeks of anguish and tears. "That's a day I'm going to remember for the rest of my life."

Horton's mother is safe, but his father is unaccounted for. Horton's tiny home on 4635 Dale Street in the city's Ninth Ward, not more than a 10-minute trip to the Superdome and French Quarter, no longer exists. Katrina took everything: family, home, belongings. It even tried to take away Horton's will.

"When my brothers were dead and I got that call that they drowned ... somewhere still in the back of my mind and my heart I felt they're somewhere safe," he says. "I pray about that every night. But when I got that call my whole motivation to do anything was gone. It was hard for me to function. I was just ready to burst."

And yet, Horton says he'll remember Sept. 3, not only because of what he lost, but because of what he gained.

It was on that Saturday, two hours before Auburn was to play Georgia Tech in the season opener, that Horton stood crying by himself as his teammates and coaches assembled for the game-day ritual known as "Tiger Walk." From Sewell Hall to Jordan-Hare Stadium they walk, through streets lined with as many as 20,000 Auburn fans.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville was one of the first to notice Horton standing near the team bus.

"Tears are coming down his cheeks,"...
                        -09-09-2005, 11:27 AM
                      Working...
                      X