Steir-rod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steir-rod

SI reports that Yankees slugger Alex (A-ROD) Rodriguez tested positive for anabolic steroids in 2003. Seems as though that everyone's on 'Da Juice'.
    Now it can be assumed that all the biggest stars within Major League Baseball uses or has used performance enhancing drugs. Baseball Fever, Catch It!

P.S. - Pitchers and Catchers next week!
    sigpic

Related Topics

Collapse

• Chiledog
    Palmeiro doesn't know how substance got into his body
    by Chiledog
    Yea, right!

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rafael Palmeiro poked his finger in the air for emphasis and raised his voice with all the indignation of a man falsely accused.

"I have never used steroids. Period," he told a congressional panel in March.

On Monday, nearly five months later, the Baltimore Orioles slugger became baseball's highest-profile player to be suspended 10 days for using steroids.

While he didn't deny testing positive for the drugs, he insisted that ingesting them was an accident.

"When I testified in front of Congress, I know that I was testifying under oath and I told the truth," he said during a telephone conference call Monday. "Today I am telling the truth again that I did not do this intentionally or knowingly."

The 40-year-old Palmeiro became the seventh player to fail a test under the toughened major league policy that took effect in March, rules criticized by Congress as not being stringent enough.

On July 15, Palmeiro joined Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Eddie Murray as the only players with 3,000 hits and 500 homers. Baseball would not say when the positive test occurred.

Without giving specifics, the four-time All-Star left the impression that the banned substance was contained in a supplement that was not prescribed. He said it was an "embarrassing situation" and still did not know what caused the positive test.

"Why would I do this in a year when I went in front of Congress and I testified and I told the truth?" he said. "Why would I do this during a season where I was going to get to 3,000 hits? It just makes no sense. ... I'm not a crazy person."

Palmeiro, who is currently in ninth place on the all-time home runs list with 569, wouldn't predict whether his chances of being elected to the Hall of Fame were damaged.

"Really, that's not for me to determine," he said. "I hope that people look at my whole career and appreciate that I've given everything that I've got. ... I respect the Hall of Fame, and if they think that I'm worthy enough, I would be very honored. And if they don't, I gave it all that I had to this game."

Appearing with Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and other baseball stars before a congressional committee on March 17, Palmeiro made an opening statement in which he said, pointing his finger for emphasis: "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never."

Palmeiro also expressed indignation over accusations made by former slugger Jose Canseco, who cited Palmeiro as a steroid user in his tell-all book. In an interview on the CBS television show 60 Minutes, Canseco -- who also testified before Congress -- said he had injected Palmeiro with steroids.

-08-01-2005, 09:03 PM
  • psycho9985
    Tragic and UnAmerican B.S.
    by psycho9985
    IOC president Jacques Rogge (search) said baseball and softball, two sports invented in America, would be eligible to win their way back into the Olympics for 2016.

Baseball and softball, which will remain on the program for the 2008 Beijing Games, are the first sports eliminated from the Olympics since polo in 1936.

"I think they've made a big, big mistake," said Tom Lasorda, the former Dodgers manager who guided the U.S. team to the gold medal in the 2000 Sydney Games. "Baseball is played by all countries now, and softball, too. I think that's really going to hurt the Olympics."

Bob DuPuy, the major leagues' chief operating officer, said the IOC's decision will "adversely affect millions of sports fans worldwide."

With two slots open on the program, the IOC voted from a waiting list of five sports: golf, rugby, squash, karate and roller sports. Squash and karate were nominated but rejected overwhelmingly, failing to get two-thirds approval.

Dropping baseball and softball will remove 16 teams and more than 300 athletes from the Olympics.

Baseball, which became a medal sport in 1992, has been vulnerable because of steroids in the major leagues and the absence of major leaguers from the Olympics. Softball, a women's only medal sport since 1996 won all three times by the United States, has been in danger because of its association with baseball and a perceived lack of global appeal and participation.

"The lack of the MLB players I think people have looked and said, `Well, all right, if there's to be a change, that seems to be the logic of it,"' British IOC member Craig Reedie said.

Among the players who competed in the Olympics before starring in the majors are Jason Giambi, Jason Varitek, Nomar Garciaparra and Ben Sheets.

Major League Baseball has toughened its drug-testing programs, but they still fall far short of Olympic standards.

"Problems with doping in U.S. baseball probably cost the sport dearly," Australian IOC member John Coates said.

Several IOC members also cited high stadium costs associated with both sports, saying baseball and softball venues have little use in some host cities after the games.

"I feel like somebody who has been thrown out it's certainly not a good feeling," said Aldo Notari, the Italian president of the International Baseball Federation. "I don't think the IOC members know our sport deeply enough."

Don Porter, the American president of the international softball federation, said his sport's ties to baseball created problems.

"We tried to keep our distance," he said. "But I think there's still too many people think we're part of baseball. We're absolutely not."

Cuba has won three of the four gold medals since baseball was first played...
    -07-08-2005, 09:22 PM
  • evil disco man
    DT B.J. Raji denies reports of failed drug tests
    by evil disco man
    B.J. Raji and his agents say Raji, who is considered the top defensive tackle eligible for this month's NFL draft, has not received notice of a failed drug test, and they are disputing reports that Raji had a positive test at the scouting combine.

"The biggest thing is trying to figure out how this started," Raji told The (Santa Rosa, Calif.) Press Democrat. "I couldn't understand how this rumor became such a big splash in the media when there was no evidence -- there was no substance to believe it. The last couple days, I was just trying to figure out: Who? What? Basically, why?

"Now, I'm happy the truth is out. Obviously, it's not going to be as big of a splash as the negative part. But as long as the coaches and the decision-makers know what is true, then I don't need to be concerned with everybody else," he told the newspaper.

Raji's Athletes First representatives, Mark Humenik and Brian Murphy, issued a statement Monday denying the reports.

"On Friday, the NFL issued a statement challenging the foundation for these reports and indicating that neither the league nor its member clubs know the results of drug or steroid tests taken at the 2009 combine and that the independent medical advisers who administer the tests have notified in writing those players -- and only those players -- who tested positive at the combine," the statement said. "B.J. Raji has NOT received any letter from the NFL or the Independent Administrator indicating that he tested positive for drugs at the combine."

Raji, who was meeting with the San Francisco ***** on Tuesday, has also visited the Detroit Lions, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Denver Broncos.

NFL scouts were made aware before the 2008 season that Raji tested positive for marijuana during his time at Boston College. Teams expect to receive the official report of who tested positive during the combine around April 20.

Raji, rated seventh on Todd McShay's projected list and No. 6 on Mel Kiper's most recent Big Board on ESPN.com, missed the 2007 college season with academic problems.
    -04-07-2009, 01:06 PM
  • faulkyou
    Some positive things to take away from todays loss
    by faulkyou
    Um, a, er, hmm.

Yeah.... I got nothing.

Wait......I got one.

Their creative ways of self destructing impress me more with every week.
    -10-16-2011, 01:05 PM
  • Nick
    Most Disappointing Aspect of Week One
    by Nick
    What was the most disappointing thing for you in the Rams' Week One game?

Yes, you can only pick one. :disapointed:
    Shaun Hill's lackluster play
    0.00%
    Lack of a true running game
    10.00%
    Britt/Austin virtual no-show
    0.00%
    Offensive line play
    30.00%
    Where was Sack City?
    20.00%
    Linebackers missing tackles
    2.50%
    DBs allowing Cassel 68% completions & 2 TDs
    0.00%
    Greg the Leg missing a field goal
    0.00%
    13 penalties for 121 yards
    12.50%
    It could be an omen for the entire year.
    25.00%
    -09-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Working...
X