Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iraqui shot dead attempting goal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Iraqui shot dead attempting goal

    From ESPN


    Iraqi shot dead attempting goal
    Associated Press

    March 16, 2009

    BAGHDAD -- Police say an Iraqi soccer player has been shot dead just as he was about to kick what could have been the tying goal in a weekend game south of Baghdad.

    Police Maj. Muthanna Khalid says a striker from the Buhairat amateur team was facing only the goalie during a Sunday match in Hillah when a supporter of the rival Sinjar club shot him in the head in the final minute of play.

    Sinjar was leading 1-0 when the shooting occurred. Khalid said a spectator was arrested.

    More Iraqis are turning out for sports events now that security is improving. Major matches in Baghdad are heavily guarded but security in amateur games in smaller cities is often lax

  • #2
    Re: Iraqui shot dead attempting goal

    I think you might have trouble getting players to play if they have to dodge bullets.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Iraqui shot dead attempting goal

      Originally posted by UtterBlitz View Post
      I think you might have trouble getting players to play if they have to dodge bullets.
      Really Renee,......you think so?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Iraqui shot dead attempting goal

        If the players were as fast as they think they are then bullets would be only a minor concern.
        RnD

        GO RAMS!!

        Comment

        Related Topics

        Collapse

        • txramsfan
          Conspiracy at the Euro? No, not in soccer
          by txramsfan
          http://www.usatoday.com/sports/socce...nspiracy_x.htm


          No investigation of Denmark-Sweden tie

          LISBON, Portugal (AP) European soccer's ruling body has no plans to investigate the tie between Sweden and Denmark that sent both teams to the European Championships quarterfinals and eliminated Italy.
          Conspiracy theories had swirled in the Italian media that the Scandinavian neighbors would play for the 2-2 result. Any tie 2-2 or above automatically eliminated Italy.


          "So far there are no elements to start any investigation or proceedings in this case," Julien Sieveking, UEFA's disciplinary counsel, said Wednesday. He added the Italian federation had not lodged a complaint.

          Italy defeated Bulgaria 2-1 on Tuesday but the outcome became irrelevant because of the Sweden-Denmark finish.

          "Until I see the goals, I'm hesitant to believe it was a fix," Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni said. "Certainly, that result could raise some doubts, but I remain convinced that, in general, sporting ethics prevail."

          Mattias Jonson capitalized on a goalkeeping blunder with a minute left to give Sweden the tie.

          "If you see the game, you see there is no way you can fix a match like this," said Henrik Larsson, who had Sweden's opening goal. "Not even Spielberg could write a script like this."

          Added Jon Dahl Tomasson, who scored twice for Denmark: "If you look at the game, we tried to play for the three points."

          Sweden, Denmark and Italy each finished with five points in Group C. The two Nordic countries advanced because they had scored more goals than Italy, which tied 0-0 with Denmark and 1-1 with Sweden.

          "Looking at the matches and the way they were played and the drama of the two games, I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that there was any type of collusion at all," UEFA spokesman Rob Faulkner said.

          Trapattoni said Wednesday he was "not going to search for alibis," and suggested Italy start addressing the problems of the national team. The 65-year-old coach, whose contract expires July 15, said he would not resign. His four years with the team were also marked by a second-round exit at the 2002 World Cup.

          Marcello Lippi, who just stepped down at Juventus, is widely expected to be hired as Italy's new coach
          -06-23-2004, 01:06 PM
        • RamsFan4ever
          Police investigating death of USC kicker Danelo
          by RamsFan4ever
          http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2722825

          Police investigating death of USC kicker Danelo

          Associated Press

          LOS ANGELES -- Foul play likely was not a factor in the death of Southern California kicker Mario Danelo, whose body was found about 120 feet down a rocky cliff, police said Sunday.

          "It was fairly apparent that this was either an accident or suicide," said Lt. Paul Vernon.

          Nelson Chenault-US PRESSWIRE
          USC kicker Mario Danelo was discovered at the base of a cliff in Los Angeles Saturday.Danelo's brother said Sunday that "it was an unfortunate accident."

          "He was a good kid," Joey Danelo said during a phone interview with The Associated Press. "There was not a person I know that didn't like him."

          Investigators were examining evidence recovered after Danelo's body was found Saturday afternoon near Point Fermin lighthouse in the city's San Pedro section.

          While police have not completely ruled out foul play, Vernon said "there didn't appear to be a crime involved." An autopsy could be performed as early as Monday, coroner's officials said.

          Someone flying a remote-control airplane noticed something at the bottom of the cliff Saturday and a friend hiked down to the beach and discovered the body, police officials said.

          Investigators were looking into whether Danelo was out with friends Friday night. He was last seen around midnight, authorities said.

          A makeshift memorial was placed near the top of the steep cliff where Danelo apparently fell. A flag bearing the USC logo was spread out, surrounded by flowers and candles and a message reading "Rest in Peace Danelo" spraypainted on the ground.

          Nearby, a sign warned: "Danger Do Not Enter Unstable and Slippery Surfaces Steep Drops."

          Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said investigators did not find a surf board, scuba-diving tanks or anything else to indicate Danelo might have been down there for any of the recreational activities common to the area.

          Humphrey said over the years a handful of people had fallen from the cliff.

          "It's entirely possible that he fell," Humphrey said.

          Danelo, the 21-year-old son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo, made 15 of 16 field goals this season and led the Trojans in scoring with 89 points. The junior made two field goals in the Rose Bowl on Monday to help USC beat Michigan 32-18.

          He only missed two field goals in his career, going 26-for-28, and was 127 of 134 on extra points. In 2005, he set NCAA single-season records with 83 extra points and 86 attempts.

          Speaking on behalf of Trojans coach Pete Carroll, USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said: "We were stunned to hear about this tragedy. This is a great loss....
          -01-07-2007, 03:22 PM
        • Guest's Avatar
          More on sean taylor
          by Guest
          145 pm eastern time on saturday and espn is still reporting that police are looking for taylor. This is outrageous. Taylor would have to be on the moon to not know that the police are looking for him. Must have gotten his attorney on the phone immediately of course and they are probably negotiating the circumstances under which he will "agree" to submit to the jurisdiction of the police. Yet again, not a day goes by where some spoiled brat athlete/entertainer etc thinks the rules of society dont apply to them.

          One would think that he would realize that the longer this goes on the more guilty he looks even if he didnt do anything. looks to me like the spin doctors at work.

          ramming speed to all

          general counsel
          -06-04-2005, 10:45 AM
        • San Diego Ram
          Police officer, who delayed Texans' Moats as relative died, placed on leave
          by San Diego Ram
          DALLAS -- A police officer was placed on administrative leave Thursday after pulling over an NFL player who was rushing to see his dying mother-in-law, drawing his gun, threatening the player with jail and holding him in the hospital parking lot as the woman died.
          Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle apologized to the family of Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats over the March 18 incident and announced that Officer Robert Powell would be on paid leave pending an internal investigation.
          When we at the command staff reviewed the tape, we were embarrassed, disappointed," Kunkle said. "It's hard to find the right word and still be professional in my role as the police chief. But the behavior was not appropriate."
          Police officials said Powell told his commanders he believed he was doing his job and that he drew his gun but didn't point it. Kunkle said Powell wasn't necessarily acting improperly when he pulled out his weapon, but that once he realized what was happening, he should have put the gun back, apologized and offered to help the family in any way.
          "His behavior, in my opinion, did not exhibit the common sense, the discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit," Kunkle said.
          Moats' wife, who was in the car along with other relatives, said Powell pointed his weapon at her.
          "He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car," Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News.
          The Moats family didn't immediately return messages left by The Associated Press. Powell didn't respond to requests for comment through the Dallas police union.
          Powell, a three-year member of the Dallas police force, stopped Moats outside Baylor Regional Medical Center after Moats rolled his sport-utility vehicle through a red light. Video from a dashboard camera inside the officer's vehicle, obtained by Dallas-Fort Worth station WFAA-TV, revealed an intense exchange in which Powell threatened to jail Moats.
          Powell ordered Tamishia Moats to get back in the SUV, but after pausing for a few seconds, she and another woman rushed into the hospital. Tamishia Moats was by the side of her mother, 45-year-old Jonetta Collinsworth, when she died a short time later from breast cancer.
          "Get in there," said Powell, yelling at 27-year-old Tamishia Moats, as she exited the vehicle. "Let me see your hands!"
          "Excuse me, my mom is dying," Tamishia Moats said. "Do you understand?"
          Ryan Moats explained that he waited until there was no traffic before proceeding through the red light. When Powell asked for proof of insurance, Moats grew more agitated and told the officer to go find it.
          "My mother-in-law is dying! Right now! You're wasting my time!" Moats yelled. "I don't understand why you can't understand that."
          As he argued with Moats, the officer grew irritated. "Shut your mouth,"...
          -03-26-2009, 11:26 PM
        • Bruce=GOAT
          Mike Tyson facing possible prison time again
          by Bruce=GOAT
          Former heavyweight champ faces jail on drug charges
          Associated Press

          PHOENIX -- Former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson was charged Wednesday with drug possession and driving under the influence of drugs, and the Maricopa County prosecutor says he wants to send him to prison.

          "He has run out of second chances, at least in my book," attorney Andrew Thomas said in a news conference.

          Tyson, 40, was charged with two felonies for drug possession and two misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence of drugs. If convicted of all four charges, he could be sentenced to between 2 and 7 years.

          The charges stem from his arrest Friday in Scottsdale, where Tyson was pulled over after leaving a nightclub. An officer found bags of cocaine in his back pocket and another in a package of cigarettes in his car, according to court records.

          Tyson's criminal attorney, Thomas Marlow, didn't return phone calls Wednesday from The Associated Press.

          Tyson's arrest was the latest in a string of run-ins with the law, dating back more than a decade.

          In 1992, Tyson was convicted of rape in Indiana. Six years later, the former boxing champ pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault charges in Maryland.

          Thomas said Tyson's record makes him eligible for prison time instead of Arizona's drug treatment programs for nonviolent offenders.

          "I don't take any pleasure out of doing this," Thomas said. "A week ago, my kids and I were watching Rocky Balboa in the movie theater, and we saw Mike Tyson make a cameo appearance in the movie, and now here we are and he's looking at going back to prison."

          Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion in history in 1986, when at 20 he knocked out Trevor Berbick. Four years later he was knocked out by James "Buster" Douglas. By 1997, Tyson's career hit its low point when he bit Evander Holyfield's ear during a fight.

          Tyson recently got back in the ring for a series of four-round exhibitions. When announcing the world tour, Tyson told reporters he was deep in debt and wondered if people would still pay to watch him fight.

          On Friday, Tyson was released without bond after a brief court appearance. He didn't make any comment to reporters, except to offer a greeting.

          Thomas said Tyson should be back in court for a preliminary hearing within the next two weeks.

          The car Tyson was driving was spotted weaving and nearly struck a police SUV after he ran a stop sign early Friday, according to a police probable cause statement filed in court. During the stop, police said they saw him trying to wipe a white powder off the console of his car.

          No alcohol was detected in his system. But Thomas said Tyson failed a sobriety test and officers searching his vehicle found three bags that later tested positive...
          -01-23-2007, 03:39 AM
        Working...
        X