Clear All

• r8rh8rmike
    started a topic Humble Beginnings - UFL Article

Humble Beginnings - UFL Article

Humble beginnings
    By BARRY WILNER
    AP FOOTBALL WRITER
    07/12/2009

Four teams, low salaries, cable-only telecasts and few household names. Is this any way to run a pro football league?

The people behind the UFL think so.

The United Football League will kick off in October with teams in New York, San Francisco, Orlando and Las Vegas. The maximum salary will approach the minimum $620,000 that a four-year NFL veteran gets, with some players making as little as $35,000, plus incentive bonuses. All those players will be seen on Versus on Thursday nights during the six-game season, with a championship game Nov. 27, the day after Thanksgiving.

And while such stars as Marvin Harrison and Derrick Brooks, both currently unsigned by NFL clubs, could wind up in the UFL — so might Michael Vick, something commissioner Michael Huyghue is considering — most of the players won't register highly on the recognition scale.
    "The model for us was one where we realize there's an abundance of talent out there, but player costs come to nearly 70 percent in the NFL," says Huyghue, former senior vice president of football operations for the Jacksonville Jaguars. "So we had to make sure to not outspend ourselves with players. The attraction with this league for those players will not be the money but the opportunity.

"There's such a lopsided system with the salary cap that keeps players from getting their opportunity in the NFL and we knew the lure of that opportunity would be the hook."

The NFL won't hook those players, Huyghue reasons, because it has no expansion plans, setting the number of available jobs per team at 53 per roster, plus eight per practice squad. Former Vikings and Cardinals coach Dennis Green, who is in charge of the San Francisco team, cites players who fell through those crevasses as proof there's a place for the new league.

"I always believed there are these additional players and the NFL can't get them all: Kurt Warner, Robert Griffith, guys who had to find their way into the NFL and some had to go to other leagues to get there," Green says. "Fifty years ago, they wouldn't even have had a place for Lance Alworth in the NFL. They would have said he was too small. They had a set system for players.

"Most of the college stars didn't make it and you needed this alternative league and that is what the AFL was back then. And that is what the UFL is."

The UFL also is in two cities the NFL never has touched, Orlando and Las Vegas. And such cities as Hartford, Sacramento and Los Angeles each will stage one game this season.

"It's a regional approach in our premiere season, to premiere in as many cities as possible," Huyghue says.

Huyghue expects to have eight teams in 2010 and to continue building the UFL's membership, perhaps even overseas, or closer to home in Mexico and in Canada. But that is getting way ahead.

By playing on Thursday and Friday nights, the UFL won't have much direct competition with NFL games — although the established league begins its NFL Network lineup of Thursday night matchups on Nov. 12, smack in the middle of the new guys' schedule. The UFL never considered a spring season, reasoning that football interest is highest in the fall and winter.

It also will use NFL rules, with some alterations. For example, each team will get the ball once in overtime; sudden-death rules apply after both teams have had a possession.

Grounding by a quarterback under duress will be allowed in the pocket as well as outside of it, and all replay decisions will be made by an official in the replay booth, not by the referee.

Where the UFL most visibly will differ from the NFL is the look of the uniforms, where sponsor names likely will appear.

"It won't be NASCAR," says Frank Vuono, the UFL's chief operating officer. "It will not be intrusive, but tasteful.

"Some of the most popular teams in the world like Manchester United don't even have their team name on their uniforms, but they have the sponsor name on the jersey. That day is coming here."

Perhaps coming to the UFL will be Vick, regardless of his NFL status. The former Atlanta Falcons quarterback concludes his federal sentence for dogfighting and might wind up in the UFL.

"One of the things that is important in our premiere season is to showcase the quality of talent and the coaches, and to be able to show outstanding players who find themselves in this quagmire the NFL creates," Huyghue said. "Michael Vick might be that kind of player because he is ... a phenomenal talent, but he needs transitioning back into the NFL.

"Also, gaining as much widespread exposure for the league as possible might be addressed with Michael Vick."

Definitely returning to the sideline are four established coaches. Green, who also will serve as chairman of the UFL's competition committee — he held a similar role in the NFL — will be joined by Jim Haslett in Orlando, Jim Fassel in Las Vegas and Ted Cottrell in New York. And, just like the players, each of them is free to go back to the NFL on or after Dec. 1, because all will be on one-year contracts that end when November concludes.

"I love challenges and believe in the concept, too," says Green, fired by the Cardinals after the 2006 season. "This whole idea of coaching in the UFL does not disturb my lifestyle, so let's bring the old warhorse out of retirement. I can take these young guys and help them understand they still have value in the sport and have a place to play."

While no one expects the NFL to embrace a competitor, the creation of a second pro football league in America certainly has player agents scrambling.

"I hope the UFL is successful because it gives players another forum to show that they may deserve another chance to play in the NFL," Drew Rosenhaus says.

"For the young guys it is a great chance for them to be seen again and reinvent themselves," adds Joe Linta. "Every pro personnel director will be watching these guys closely.

"Michael has done a great job pacing the rollout of this league, and it has a real chance to succeed on the level for which it is intended."

That level could provide breakthrough opportunities for the third-string quarterback, undersized running back, "tweener" linebacker or late-developing defensive back mired down an NFL team's depth chart. Or a guy sitting by the phone, hoping to get a call for another tryout after he's been cut in training camp.

"We won't try to do what the USFL did," Huyghue says. "We don't have to go after name players to make the league work. It's guys who already were there, but never had a chance to step into the limelight that we're looking for.

"We are not naive enough to think our product is going to steal the thunder of the NFL. We want our fans to be watching the NFL on Sunday. And watching us on Thursday."

• laram0
    replied
    Re: Humble Beginnings - UFL Article

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Does anyone plan on checking this out? I'm going to give it a look, but I'm not sure it will hold my interest very long.
    I'm going to give it a look but if it doesn't grab my interest "rightaway" I'll be switching to SpongeBob or something else.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'll give it a shot. The CFL up here in Canada is basically the same with Salaries. Our salary cap is something like 2 mil and the minimum rookie salary is $41,000.

Leave a comment:

• HUbison
    replied

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Does anyone plan on checking this out? I'm going to give it a look, but I'm not sure it will hold my interest very long.
    If it's quality football, and not some gimmick (XFL), then yea, I'll watch it.

Leave a comment:

• r8rh8rmike
    replied

Leave a comment:

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamFan_Til_I_Die
    New football League to compete dirtectly with the NFL
    by RamFan_Til_I_Die

United Football League Announces “UFL Premiere” Season to Kick-off October 2009
    NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The United Football League, a new professional outdoor fall football league, will kick-off the “UFL Premiere” season in October 2009. As previously announced, the UFL will feature high quality traditional football played by world-class athletes and will provide fans with affordable, innovative and entertaining game-day experiences.

In its “Premiere” year, the UFL will have four teams playing in at least seven cities. The four teams selected for the “Premiere” season are Las Vegas/Los Angeles, New York/Hartford, Orlando and San Francisco/Sacramento. During the course of the six-week season, these four teams will travel to each city for games. The season will culminate with a Championship Game tentatively scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend in Las Vegas.

“With the confirmation of four teams and the announcement of an infusion of a $30 million investment to operate the league, the UFL is excited to bring affordable, accessible football to underserved markets this October,” said Commissioner Michael Huyghue. “The “UFL Premiere” season will allow us to set the foundation within the cities we feel would be a good fit, demonstrate the terrific talent of the coaches and players at our high level of competition, and integrate innovation into all aspects of the league so we are ready for expansion in 2010.”

In addition to UFL Founder Bill Hambrecht and original investor Tim Armstrong, the UFL is being funded by a consortium of investors including Paul Pelosi. Pelosi is the president of FLS, Inc., a diversified investment and consulting company based in San Francisco and serves on many corporate and philanthropic boards.

The UFL will train and house its players in Casa Grande, Arizona where a $20 million training complex is being constructed for both the city and league use. The UFL will begin signing players in July and training camp will begin in Casa Grande on September 1st. League officials are currently in negotiations with various stadiums and these agreements will be announced as they are finalized. The UFL is also in final negotiations with a major sports cable network for a weekly nationally-televised game.

The UFL will continue its highly popular “Name Your Team” campaign via its website and onsite at the “UFL Premiere” games. All entries will be considered for the six to eight teams that will be included in the UFL’s 2010 season.

The executives behind the UFL are experienced NFL franchise builders. Commissioner Michael Huyghue has over 20 years of NFL management experience and is considered the architect in establishing the Jacksonville Jaguars as the winningest franchise of the NFL within a five-year span in his role as the team's Senior Vice President of Football Operations. While with the NFL, Commissioner Huyghue served...
    -02-10-2009, 09:49 AM
  • AlphaRam
    GridIron Greats Assistance Fund
    by AlphaRam
    Forgive the lengthy post, but the article and the information are important, in my mind.

I have been a Rams fan for close to 40 years. In reading and seeing the NFL over my life, I still came to respect many players on other teams. Many of these players are mangled from football and have no money to live their lives. The players of which I speak are those that worked jobs during the off-season to make ends meet. Did you know that Mike Webster became mentally ill and homeless before passing away?

Mike Ditka, Jerry Kramer, and others have created a foundation to raise money for these guys who have built the game. There is an auction that starts tomorrow (Feb 1) that includes items listed below with the site link following:

- Mike Ditka donated his 1975 NFC Championship ring
    - Joe DeLamielleure donated his gold bracelet which OJ Simpson gave to him and other members of the famous Bills offensive line known as the Electric Company, in celebration of their record, Joe's name is engraved as is OJ's inscription." We did it, The Juice"
    - Vince Lombardi Jr. donated plays hand drawn by his father
    - Merlin Olson & Jerry Kramer will take high bidders on a fishing trip of a lifetime in Hells Canyon, winners spend two days with these NFL greats and master fisherman!
    - John McEnroe has donated a day of tennis with him
    - Paul Hornung has donated a football signed by himself, Bart Starr and Jim Taylor
    - Eli Manning donated a pair of his game worn cleats
    - Dwight Clark customized a football has hand drawn the famous CATCH play on it
    - Archie Manning donated a trio of Manning family authentic football Jerseys
    - Howie Long will host fans for a day on the Fox NFL set, and then have dinner with them
    - Harry Carson will spend a day with fans in New York City

http://www.jerrykramer.com/index.html...
    -01-31-2007, 07:39 PM
  • LARAM
    New All American Football League (AAFL)
    by LARAM
    Yesterday, I watched a one hour long special, for the 1st inaugural Draft for the AAFL. I'm not sure what to think. It mostly looks like a bunch of players that couldn't make onto NFL rosters. But regardless, I am looking forward to the games. It just might satisfy me during the dead time after the NFL draft. Not really sure what kind of TV contract the league has though.

One thing I like, is the way they have structured the League and draft rights to players, to allow for a sort of local fan base. The current six teams are allowed exclusive rights to players from universities from within their own states, or within neighboring states......in other words

Team Arkansas...Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas

Team Alabama....Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama

Team Tennessee...South Carolina, Kentucky, Tenn

Team Michigan...Illinois, Indiana, Michigan

Team Florida and Texas...only from within their own states, because of the huge player/University base.

***All other states and Universities are up for grabs

Some other notes:

***College style goal posts and Hash marks, 35 yard OT ball spot....all other NFL rules.

***10 game schedule from April thru July, One playoff round and then Championship game.

***Players salaries topped out at $50,000 dollars

***Tickets for games about $13 dollars

***Players must graduate from college

Some of the players I recognized....

Eric crouch.......Drafted 2nd overall
    Peter Warrick.....NFL BUST
    Tee Martin......QB Tenn, 8 years ago
    Tony Bua........Loved this guy out of Arkansas
    Marcus Randall...QB out of LSU a couple years ago

Check out the site and draft results:

All American Football League
    -02-17-2008, 09:25 AM
  • Curly Horns
    Bernie Bytes: NFL wins big in concussion settlement
    by Curly Horns
    August 30, 2013 12:10 pm • Bernie Miklasz

I’ll suspend the political correctness and state the obvious here: in the matter of the $765 million settlement of the concussion-related suit filed by retired players, the NFL won in a rout.

Several reasons:

1. Some legal analysts suggested that the players could have won $2 billion or more in damages had the players pushed this all the way. And others projected a doomsday scenario that would have meant the end of the NFL as we know it. After all, this is a gladiator sport – and if you can’t keep the players healthy, and you’re going to get sued and be forced to pay damages every time a player suffers a concussion, then how could you possibly continue to operate?

Well, that’s over now.

Yes, $765 million is a big number, but it breaks down to about $24 million per team. Goodness, NFL owners and GMs waste more money than that on stupid free-agent contracts each year.

Moreover, the league gets to make this go away on a payment plan; half the settlement is due within three years but the NFL can allocate the other half over 17 years. This is a league that collects nearly $10 billion a year in revenue, and that annual haul will increase in the coming years. This payout is tip-jar money for NFL owners.

2. The league didn’t have to admit liability. Direct words from the court document: “The settlement does not represent, and cannot be considered, an admission by the NFL of liability, or an admission that plaintiffs’ injuries were caused by football.”

Of course, that’s preposterous; the NFL didn’t agree to pay $765 million because the 32 owners are sweet, wonderful and generous humanitarians. This was obviously an acknowledgement by the league, but legally it doesn’t matter.

The NFL had already gone on the offensive by instituting new rules to protect players. This helps in three ways: (A) increased player safety is the right thing to do; (B) the NFL's new safety initiatives puts the league in a more positive light; (C) the new guidelines will help ward off future concussion-related suits.

And the NFL’s PR machine already is working its magic to portray the league as a proactive, sensitive organization that cares deeply about the players’ health.

Before settling, the former players had made good progress in winning the PR battle. I don’t think anyone out there is a fan of dementia. I don’t think anyone wants to see these old football heroes suffer horribly as they grow old while NFL owners are growing their franchise values and individual wealth.

By agreeing to settle, the former players ceded the PR platform to commissioner Roger Goodell and associates. And this plays to the NFL’s strength; the league can spin away and engage in more image enhancement.

3. The settlement will keep the league’s private files and documents...
    -09-03-2013, 06:54 PM
  • RamsFanSam
    CCFL - A New Football League?
    by RamsFanSam
    After reading the thread about Michael Vick, I had an epiphany.

We need to start a NEW football league. One JUST for players like him.

We shall call it the "CCFL"...Crybaby and Convict Football League. The players would get paid a percentage of club profits, up to a maximum of $100,000 per year. How would a player get into such a league? Easy.

1. Any player suspended by the NFL twice for any violations of the rules in the current season.
    2. Any player who whines about how he's better than the team he plays for.
    3. Any player who is convicted of a felony within the past two seasons.
    4. Any player who gets fined more than twice during the season for conduct.
    5. Any player who knowingly causes injury to another player.
    6. Any player who violates the terms of his contract twice in any season.

Of course, such a league will need coaches. Here's how they get them:

1. Any coach who throws a fit unbecoming of an NFL coach.
    2. Any coach who repeatedly defends players who fit the above rules.
    3. Any coach who repeatedly shows ineptitude at his job.

And, we need officials. Here's their criteria for entrance into the CCFL:

1. Clearly makes calls that are contrary to the visual evidence.
    2. Suspected of favortism.
    3. Too blind to see what is going on.

Therefore, I suggest the following players and coaches to be admitted into the CCFL immediately.

1. Michael Vick.
    2. T.O.
    3. Warren Sapp
    4. Ricky Williams
    5. Koren Robinson
    6. Chad Johnson
    7. Albert Haynesworth
    8. Denny Green
    9. John Gruden
    10. Bill Parcells

Persons admitted into the CCFL will be able to return to the NFL after completing two seasons without acting like children. The question is....would any team want these guys even after they grow up?

As you can see, there is already a good start for this new league. Feel free to nominate more players/coaches/officials for the CCFL, and I'll pass them along!
    -12-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Working...
X