Syracuse Orange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syracuse Orange

Any NCAA Basketball fans here? I just wanted to start a thread to gloat about the fact that my beloved Syracuse Orange is ranked #1 in the country after their absolute massacre of Villanova at the dome on Saturday.

I personally believe this team is better than the team that won the National Championship in 2003. The 2-3 zone is absolutely stifling, we are getting great play off the bench from Kris Joseph and Scoop Jardine, and the overall balance of the team offensively makes us extremely tough to defend.

March madness is coming up and I think we have a great chance of winning the tournament again this year. What is even more exciting is the possibility that next year our team will be even better with the sick recruiting class we have coming in. True, we are losing Onuaku, Rautins, and more likely than not Wes Johnson, but we are bringing in top prospects Dion Waiters, Fab Melo, and C.J. Fair. Its a great time to be a fan of SU hoops!

Syracuse is definately a basketball town, but I still wish that our football team would rise to prominence again. Some of the most fun I have ever had watching sports was going to SU football games at the dome in the days of Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison, Dwight Freeny, and Keith Bulluck. Here's hoping that Doug Marrone is the guy to bring us back into the spotlight! I thought he did a decent job in his first year, especially given that we had a basketball player as our starting QB and our best receiver quit the team halfway through the year...

Re: Syracuse Orange

Well let me extend my apologies from Louisville that my Cards beat Sryacuse twice this year.

Sure only one game has been played but when the Crush come down here to play for the last game of the season it will not only be senior night but the last game in Freedom Hall.

Destiny is on our side.

Comment

Re: Syracuse Orange

I have to give credit where credit is due. You guys had our number this year.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go drink myself into a coma.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
        Steve Kragthorpe Press Conference Quotes
        by DJRamFan
        Tulsa plays at UTEP on Saturday for the Conference USA West Division lead

Oct. 31, 2005

Tulsa, Oklahoma - Tulsa travels to El Paso to play the UTEP Miners on Saturday, Nov. 5, in a game that pits the two teams atop the Conference USA West Division with identical 4-1 league records. UTEP has an overall 6-1 record atfer last week's win at Rice, while the Hurricane bring a 5-3 overall mark into the game.

Tulsa fanswill be getting together for another Watch Party for Saturday's Golden Hurricane football game against the Miners. The Fox and Hound at 70th and Garnett and the Side Line Bar and Grill at 59th and South Lewis Avenue will be hosting watch parties.

Game time is 8 pm (CT). The game can be seen locally on KWHB-Channel 47 and on Cox Channel 7.

Below are Coach Kragthorpe's Remarks from his Weekly Press Conference.

Steve Kragthorpe Press Conference Quotes

Opening Statement: "It will be good to get back on the practice field today and to get going. It has been an interesting week, we have never had an open date this late in the season. I thought it was a good time for us to heal up like we talked about last week and put ourselves in the position now to make a run at this thing, with the first one being at UTEP this week against a very good football team. They will be a great challenge for us. They are very explosive on the offensive side of the football and they are playing really solid defense right now. The Rice score is not an indication of the flow; I thought that they pretty much dominated that game although they had a few turnovers that put Rice back into the football game. If you watch that game on film and if you watch it on television, they definitely dominated that football game. Again, they are very explosive, they scored on the first offensive play of the game. They scored on the first four drives of the game. They are very dynamic and explosive on the offensive side of the ball. Again they will be a great challenge for us to go on the road and play in a very hostile environment, great fans. They have a great thing going there at UTEP."

Talk about the your team's success on the road this year: "Well, there is no doubt that there is a challenge to go on the road and I do not see this week being any different. They are going to have a sellout crowd, and they will be very vocal. I have talked to numerous people that have played at UTEP this year and they have said that the crowd can definitely be a factor. But that is the way it is in every road venue for the most part. We played in two challenging environments tht we had the opportunity to compete in, at Oklahoma this year and then at Southern Miss. So again this will be no different. It will be a challenge, it always is to go play on the road, but I think that our guys are excited about the opportunity...
        -10-31-2005, 02:41 PM
        Don't get pissed off now. You created this monster
        by Guest
        Carolina could have sat down in straight jackets and the rams would have done their best to score points for them. When Dr. Frankenstein created his monster he later found it revolting. We should consider ourselves Dr. Frankenstein. And the Monster we created? Mike Martz of course. The praise and accolades along with the covering up of his flaws over the past 5 years were the electricity needed to keep the monster alive. Now we are smack dab in the middle of a playoff race and like cadavers we want the monster to die. It was the talent over the past 5 years that gave us the illusion that our monster was good. Conversely the lack of talent is now the reason why we find the monster revolting. So we have failed to realize the monsters shortcomings in the past and now are blaming the lack of talent on the monster. Hopefully most will see the absurdity in this. As I have stated in the recent past, itís time we stand by our creation because if we drive a stake through him now when we still have a shot at the playoffs then we will be left with a bad monster and a bad team. Sure when the season ends we should consider doing what should have been done years ago and rid the village of the monster. Right now this monster is all we have so lets just get this thing into the playoffs....
        -12-12-2004, 05:37 PM
      • rNemesis
        Can our RAMS rise back to greatness once again?
        by rNemesis
        This article is what I always think about, and maybe similar to what Bryan Burwell wrote about in a previous thread called " RAMS HAVE CHANCE TO DEFINE SEASON".. I really loved that article and it reminded me of what I want to talk about, and that is the rise of a team to greatness/elite status, whether it be once again, or finally for the first time.

Our Rams have been through a lot of ups and downs. Historically, we have been both good and bad; that is, we've been right there at the top and right there at the bottom at any given year. We've had the championship in cleveland in the 50's or 60's or so and went to the bowl against the steelers in the late 70's, went to the NFC championship game against the bears in 85, the eagles in 2001, and a host of other great playoff games. And of course the 90's were fairly bad until 99. But those were all different teams with different identities.

Lets look at the GSOT. Now this was arguably the best RAMS team to EVER take the football field, with the closest second probably being that "FEARSOME FOURSOME" rams team, with Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, etc. The GSOT offense consisted of Kurt Warner at QB ( due to Trent Green's season ending injury), Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Ricky Proehl, and Marshall Faulk. On the defensive side of the ball, they had Grant Wistrom, London Fletcher, Aeneas Williams, etc. We had a team that was offensively unstoppable and defensively capable of getting stops and/or turnovers. Always an opportunistic defense. This was also what I would have called ELITE STATUS in the NFL: winning in the NFL alot and consistently. But, as time passed, bad decision making, poor drafting and personnel decisions, and retirement pushed this team into the abyss for about three years ( 2007-2009), which there was no excuse for.

There were other ELITE teams, but I am not sure who to call because at that time most were only GOOD themselves, not as GREAT as what they are now. Teams like the Eagles, Colts, Falcons, Seahawks, Chiefs, Raiders, Ravens, and Buccaneers were all examples of good teams, but I really dont think none were as good overall as the Rams (GSOT) were. Some have stayed perenially good, others have fallen a bit, some have been up and down. But no one has been as bad as the Rams have been through a three year period.

We have seen the RAMS as bad as they were for that three year period. And we have seen the GSOT and how GREAT they were. NOW, we are in a rebuilding mode since and have gotten a lot to show for it; obviously not GREAT yet, but decent and respectable, which is all you can ask for when you go 6-42 over three seasons. My point is this. When do you think we can reach that ELITE status again and roam the NFL earth beating foes as we try to climb that mountain to the top?

My feeling is, it shouldnt take long at all considering where we at. We've got a nice QB, good MLB, good...
        -12-02-2010, 12:45 PM
      • RamsFanSam
        Rams 2006 - Are we better than last year?
        by RamsFanSam
        For the past few weeks, I have been contemplating writing this opinion. I was going to wait until week 17 had ended, and then give my opinions. However, while I'm sitting here on this cold early morning, I decided. "Why not now?"
        Now may be the perfect time. The dogs are patiently waiting to go for a walk so they can decorate the alley, Sami woke up in a very sweet mood and is coloring pictures, MOM is stretched out, sound asleep, and I'm enjoying the second half of my first pot of coffee of the day.

A great time to be objective.

Over the past 12 months, we have seen a self-destructing team with a shameful lack of effort slowly turn into a team that has a chance, albeit a small chance, to go to Miami. At this point a year ago, some were ready to put away all things blue and gold, and forget about football for a few months. All of us were really disgusted with the team.

Then came the game against Dallas. A game no one thought we had a snowball's chance in the Sahara of winning. Somehow, a team that seemed to belong on the 'Island of Misfit Toys' put up a good fight, and came out with a win that really meant nothing in the standings, but gave us one thing we sorely needed: hope for the future.

While other teams went on to greater things, we were left behind, trying to make sense of the circus that was playing in St. Louis. For a few very tense days, we feared that our front office would continue to provide us with a continuation of the comedy of errors that had been forced upon us, by hiring Art Shell. We thought the downward spiral had just begun.

It may be too early to pass judgment, but it looks like someone may have figured out how to put on the brakes.

In an offseason filled with things like the probability of Bruce no longer being with us, the fear of another crappy draft, and the unknowns of free agency, something really strange happened.

The fans agreed with most of the decisions the front office made. Not all of the decisions, but most.

We went into the pre-season very wary, excited at the possibilities, but fearful of reality. We knew what could happen, and we thought we knew what would happen. We watched our Special Teams do some things that shocked us, and our Defense followed suit. Our offense started slowly, but finally began to mesh.

2006 has been a roller coaster ride, for sure. We have all had our share of heart attacks and heart breakers, we have seen our team prove that they are as good as the defending division champs, we have seen them fold and prove they are as bad as the Rams of the 90's.

But, our record shows we are improved from last year.

As we go into the last game of the 2006 regular season, our team is still in the running for the postseason. I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling we WILL be playing in January. Our offense is now doing...
        -12-27-2006, 06:50 AM
      • RamsFanSam
        Where do we go from here?
        by RamsFanSam
        Hello, fellow Rams fans and others. I've got a few minutes between drinking the first pot of coffee and taking out my two dogs, so I thought I'd post a few thoughts on here to ask "what next?".

In my home, the Rams aren't just a football team. They are a way of life. When an eight year old girl would rather watch the Rams play a game they will probably lose instead of Hannah Montana, then a father knows he is raising a child right.

So, we have gone from 8-8, to 3-13, to 2-14. We have changed coaching staff more often than some people change their oil. We can't seem to find the answers. But still, on any given Sunday, the Rams can look like the meanest team in the league for 50 or 55 minutes...then somehow, they blow it in the last few minutes of play. When I look back on the Rams teams from the last few years, I remember noticing a slow, steady decline. Sure, there were some bright spots - SJ and Bulger both looked fantastic just two seasons ago, Bartell looked like the miracle man this year, OJ has shined, but overall, the intensity of the entire team has faded. Much of this had to do with injuries - it's hard to keep your runningback in the game and your quarterback upright if your O line isn't blocking anyone. Those rare moments when the O line did mesh provided a chance for a big play, but something seemed to always go wrong. Our WR's had WD-40 on their hands, or a route was run in the wrong direction, or the QB was so gun shy that he just wanted to get rid of the ball before getting hit.

This year, it was different. We had all the pieces of the puzzle, but the guy who was trying to put it together didn't know how they fit together. Four games into the season, he was let go. The entire team seemed to change overnight. The swagger was back. The players no longer looked afraid of contact. We won a game against a better Washington team and stunned the league. One week later, we made Dallas a laughingstock. (Kind of like the Eagles did last night...hahahahahahahaha!!!!) People actually began to notice us!

Of course, we all hoped this was the real Rams, but most of us were careful. We'd been burned before, but those guys in Blue and Gold sure looked like winners!

Reality set in way too soon. We couldn't get a "W" the rest of the season. It sounds strange, but until week 9, we actually had a chance to make the playoffs with a 2-6 record. Of course, we all know how that story ends.

But are the Rams really as bad as Detroit? No. Not even close. Think about it. Most of the last 12 games, we were within reach of a win for at least half of the game. More than once, we were within minutes of a win - then disaster struck. Each game had ONE pivotal moment that I wish we could take back and do over. Yesterday, it was the onside kick being called back - OK, two moments: the lack of coverage on that long run. Yet, the Rams did not give up - not until...
        -12-29-2008, 07:28 AM
      Working...
      X