• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former UCLA Basketball Coach John Wooden Dies

Former UCLA basketball coach John Wooden dies
    By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
    Jun 5, 3:27 am EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP)—John Wooden, college basketball’s gentlemanly Wizard of Westwood who built one of the greatest dynasties in all of sports at UCLA and became one of the most revered coaches ever, has died. He was 99.

The university said Wooden died Friday night of natural causes at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where he had been since May 26.

Wooden remained beloved by many of his former players, several of whom visited him in recent days to say their goodbyes.

Related Video Wooden's legacy Wooden's legacy

More NCAAB Videos ADVERTISEMENT

Among them was Bill Walton, whose voice caught as he spoke of the man he hailed as a teacher first and a coach second.

“He’s the greatest,” Walton said the night before Wooden’s death. “We love him.”

Jamaal Wilkes said he recognized what he called “that little glint” in Wooden’s pale blue eyes.

During his second visit Wednesday night, Wilkes asked Wooden if he recognized him.

“His glasses fogged up, and he had to clean his glasses,” Wilkes said. “He looked at me and said, ‘I remember you, now go sit down.”’

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Joe Torre and current UCLA coach Ben Howland were among Wooden’s final visitors.

“I just enjoyed him and the twinkle in his eye,” Howland said, noting Wooden told a few jokes from his hospital bed. “I’m just the steward of this program. It’s always going to be his program.”

Jim Harrick is the only coach in the post-Wooden era at UCLA to win a national championship. When the Bruins reached the 1995 Final Four in Seattle, Harrick repeatedly urged Wooden to attend. He had stopped going after his wife died 10 years earlier.

“You don’t know how stubborn he was,” Harrick said by phone from Orange County, Calif. “Finally, he did come, and it was a tremendous thrill.”

With his signature rolled-up game program in hand, Wooden led the Bruins to 10 NCAA championships, including an unmatched streak of seven in a row from 1967 to 1973.

Over 27 years, he won 620 games, including 88 straight during one historic stretch, and coached many of the game’s greatest players such as Walton and Lew Alcindor—later known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

“It’s kind of hard to talk about Coach Wooden simply, because he was a complex man. But he taught in a very simple way. He just used sports as a means to teach us how to apply ourselves to any situation,” Abdul-Jabbar said in a statement released through UCLA.

“He set quite an example. He was more like a parent than a coach. He really was a very selfless and giving human being, but he was a disciplinarian. We learned all about those aspects of life that most kids want to skip over. He wouldn’t let us do that.”

Wooden is the only person to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and a coach.

Jim Wooden and Nancy Muehlhausen issued a statement after their father died, saying, “He has been, and always will be, the guiding light for our family.

“The love, guidance and support he has given us will never be forgotten. Our peace of mind at this time is knowing that he has gone to be with our mother, whom he has continued to love and cherish.”

Wooden was a groundbreaking trendsetter who demanded his players be in great condition so they could play an up-tempo style not well-known on the West Coast at the time.

But his legacy extended well beyond that.

He was the master of the simple one- or two-sentence homily, instructive little messages best presented in his famous “Pyramid of Success,” which remains must-read material, not only for fellow coaches but for anyone in a leadership position in American business.

He taught the team game and had only three hard-and-fast rules—no profanity, tardiness or criticizing fellow teammates. Layered beneath that seeming simplicity, though, were a slew of life lessons—primers on everything from how to put on your socks correctly to how to maintain poise: “Not being thrown off stride in how you behave or what you believe because of outside events.”

“What you are as a person is far more important that what you are as a basketball player,” was one of Wooden’s key messages.

Wooden began his career as a teacher during the Great Depression and was still teaching others long past retirement. Up until about two years ago, he remained a fixture at UCLA games played on a court named after him and his late wife, Nell, and celebrated his 99th birthday with a book he co-authored on how to live life and raise children.

Even with his staggering accomplishments, he remained humble and gracious. He said he tried to live by advice from his father: “Be true to yourself, help others, make each day your masterpiece, make friendship a fine art, drink deeply from good books—especially the Bible, build a shelter against a rainy day, give thanks for your blessings and pray for guidance every day.”

While he lived his father’s words, many more lived his. Those lucky enough to play for him got it first hand, but there was no shortage of Wooden sayings making the rounds far away from the basketball court.

“Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow,” was one.

“Don’t give up on your dreams, or your dreams will give up on you,” was another.

Born Oct. 14, 1910, near Martinsville, Ind., on a farm that didn’t have electricity or indoor plumbing, Wooden’s life revolved around sports from the time his father built a baseball diamond among his wheat, corn and alfalfa. Baseball was his favorite sport, but there was also a basketball hoop nailed in a hayloft. Wooden played there countless hours with his brother, Maurice, using any kind of ball they could find.

He led Martinsville High School to the Indiana state basketball championship in 1927 before heading to Purdue, where he was All-America from 1930-32. The Boilermakers were national champions his senior season, and Wooden, nicknamed “the Indiana Rubber Man” for his dives on the hardcourt, was college basketball’s player of the year.

But it wasn’t until he headed west to Southern California that Wooden really made his mark on the game.

Wooden guided the Bruins to seven consecutive titles from 1967 through 1973 and a record 88-game winning streak in the early 1970s. From the time of his first title following the 1963-64 season through the 10th in 1974-75, Wooden’s Bruins were 330-19, including four 30-0 seasons.

“There has been no greater influence on college basketball not just about the game but the team,” Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun told the AP. “He gave so much to basketball and education. In my opinion if he’s not as important as Dr. Naismith, he’s right next to him.”

The bespectacled former high school teacher ended up at UCLA almost by accident. Wooden was awaiting a call from the University of Minnesota for its head coaching job and thought he had been passed over when it didn’t come. In the meantime, UCLA called, and he accepted the job.

Minnesota officials called later that night, saying they couldn’t get through earlier because of a snowstorm, and offered him the job. Though Wooden wanted it more than the UCLA job, he told them he already had given UCLA his word.

The Bruins were winners right away after Wooden took over as coach at UCLA’s campus in Westwood in 1949. Still, it would be 16 seasons before Wooden won his first NCAA championship with a team featuring Walt Hazzard that went 30-0 in 1964. After that, they began arriving in bunches, with top players such as Alcindor, Walton, Wilkes, Lucius Allen, Gail Goodrich, Marques Johnson, Michael Warren and Sidney Wicks coming to Westwood.

Each of Wooden’s players would learn at the first practice how to properly put on socks and sneakers. Each would learn to keep his hair short and face clean-shaven, even though the fashions of the 1960s and ’70s dictated otherwise.

And each would learn Wooden’s “pyramid of success,” a chart he used to both inspire players and sum up his personal code for life. Industriousness and enthusiasm were its cornerstones; faith, patience, loyalty and self-control were some of the building blocks. At the top of the pyramid was competitive greatness.

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are,” Wooden would tell them.

Wooden never had to worry about his reputation. He didn’t drink or swear or carouse with other coaches on the road, though he did have a penchant for berating referees.

“Dadburn it, you saw him double-dribble down there!” went a typical Wooden complaint to an official. “Goodness gracious sakes alive!”

Wooden would coach 27 years at UCLA, finishing with a record of 620-147. He won 47 NCAA tournament games. His overall mark as a college coach was 664-162, an .804 winning percentage.

Wooden’s legacy as a coach will always be framed by two streaks—the seven straight national titles UCLA won beginning in 1967 and the 88-game winning streak that came to an end Jan. 19, 1974, when Notre Dame beat the Bruins 71-70.

After the loss, Wooden refused to allow his players to talk to reporters. A week later, UCLA beat the Irish at home by 19 points.

A little more than a year later, Wooden surprisingly announced his retirement after a 75-74 NCAA semifinal victory over Louisville. He then went out and coached the Bruins for the last time, winning his 10th national title with a 92-85 win over Kentucky.

Wooden disliked the Wizard of Westwood nickname, preferring to be called coach.

“I’m no wizard, and I don’t like being thought of in that light at all,” he said in a 2006 interview with the UCLA History Project. “I think of a wizard as being some sort of magician or something, doing something on the sly or something, and I don’t want to be thought of in that way.”

The road to coaching greatness began after Wooden graduated with honors from Purdue and married Nell Riley, his high school sweetheart.

In a 2008 public appearance with Los Angeles Dodgers announcer Vin Scully, in which the men were interviewed in front of an audience, Wooden said he still wrote his late wife—the only girl he ever dated—a letter on the 21st of each month, the date she died. “She’s still there to me,” he said. “I talk to her every day.”

He coached two years at Dayton (Ky.) High School, and his 6-11 losing record the first season was the only one in his 40-year coaching career. He then spent the next nine years coaching basketball, baseball and tennis at South Bend (Ind.) Central High School, where he also taught English.

Wooden served in the Navy as a physical education instructor during World War II, and continued teaching when he became the basketball coach at Indiana State Teachers College, where he went 47-17 in two seasons.

In his first year at Indiana State, Wooden’s team won the Indiana Collegiate Conference title and received an invitation to the NAIB tournament in Kansas City. Wooden, who had a black player on his team, refused the invitation because the NAIB had a policy banning African-Americans. The rule was changed the next year, and Wooden led Indiana State to another conference title.

It was then that UCLA called.

“Even though we anticipated this day, the finality still strikes with a force equal to a ton of bricks,” said St. John’s coach Steve Lavin, who coached seven years at UCLA. “Ninety-nine years of goodness, and now he’s back with Nell.”

Nell, Wooden’s wife of 53 years, died of cancer in 1985. Besides his son and daughter, Wooden is survived by three grandsons, four granddaughters and 13 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services will be private. A public memorial will be held later, with a reception for former players and coaches.

Re: Former UCLA Basketball Coach John Wooden Dies

Very sad news. It really did seem like he would live forever. As a UCLA die-hard, watching those Bruin teams under Wooden was absolutely thrilling. He was arguably the greatest coach in sports history.

Comment

Re: Former UCLA Basketball Coach John Wooden Dies

Very sad news indeed. Rest In Peace John Wooden "THE WIZARD OF WESTWOOD". What a great life! A State champion in high school, A College National championship as a player at Purdue in 1932. WE all know what he did as coach at UCLA. He single handedly put them on the map.
      The Rams would do themselves justice by following Wooden's "Pyrimid of success" building blocks.
      sigpic

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
        New Beginning for Solich
        by DJRamFan
        Aug. 1, 2005

By Kevin Armstrong

Special to CSTV.com

Left for dead in the cornfields of Lincoln, Nebraska, Frank Solich did not turn to the booth of broadcasting or the greens of golf links.

No, not Solich. He wasn't built for those relaxed atmospheres. The corporate coats wouldn't look right on him, the golf club wasn't his support system. But without a whistle around his neck or an office overlooking a gridiron, Solich knew that he had to keep busy. The fire still burned inside, even as his career had flamed out in Nebraska. He picked up the phone, calling coaches he knew, others that friends knew, touring the phonebook for a lead.

He found his next year on the other side of the telephone lines. He was going rise from the coaching dead and travel. He was going to learn by taking a three-step drop, then explode from there.

He had meetings to attend and clinics to observe. Looking for meetings the way streetballers seek pick-up games, Solich packed up his days at the alma mater and set out for higher education. His Huskin' days were over. No flock of Nebraskans stood behind him as he walked away. No, the time was different for Solich, a lifelong Cornhusker.

"I still had the desire inside, and I knew that I could not just sit around for a full year, let alone a season," Solich said. "So I went out to professional teams and a few Division I-A programs. I learned so much."

The experience was new. Never before had he networked the coaching carousel. Having been a Tom Osborne assistant and follower his entire career, Solich's sole purpose in life was Husker football. He graduated in 1966 with a Bachelor's of Science and went on to earn his master's degree in education in 1972. Then, he coached a few high school stops before becoming Nebraska's freshman coach in 1979. From there, he served as a Husker assistant until the day that he became Tom Osborne's successor, and even with a 58-19 record (.753 winning percentage) from 1998-2003, Solich wasn't enough to match Osborne. So when the axe came down in 2003, things had to change.

"I never networked. I just did my job," Solich said about his days on the Huskers' sidelines.

And so it was that the network-less coach set out to learn about other places. He wanted to know more angles and more ways to success. Not that he did not appreciate the Nebraska way, he just thought he could benefit from knowing what else was out there.

"What I saw was a lot like what we did at Nebraska. I saw coaches who were not real screamers getting their points across. It was a great opportunity for me to grow as a coach," Solich said.

Stops...
        -08-21-2005, 02:24 PM
      • RamsFanSam
        A Message to those who think McCollum's too old:
        by RamsFanSam
        Linebacker, 59, to Play College Ball

Email this Story

Aug 22, 4:40 PM (ET)

By JAIME ARON

ALPINE, Texas (AP) - Mike Flynt was drinking beer and swapping stories with some old football buddies a few months ago when he brought up the biggest regret of his life: Getting kicked off the college team before his senior year.

So, one of his pals said, why not do something about it?

Most 59-year-olds would have laughed. Flynt's only concern was if he was eligible.

Finding out he was, Flynt returned to Sul Ross State this month, 37 years after he left and six years before he goes on Medicare. His comeback peaked Wednesday with the coach saying he's made the Division III team's roster. He could be in action as soon as Sept. 1.

Flynt is giving new meaning to being a college senior. After all, he's a grandfather and a card-carrying member of AARP. He's eight years older than his coach and has two kids older than any of his teammates.

"I think it was Carl Yastrzemski who used to say, 'How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?' I'd be in my late 20s or early 30s, because that's how I feel," said Flynt, who has made a living out of physical fitness. "That's been my approach to this whole thing. I feel that good. I'm just going to find out if I can perform and make a contribution to the team."

A longtime strength and conditioning coach at Nebraska, Oregon and Texas A&M, he's spent the last several years selling the Powerbase training system he invented. Clients include school systems and the military. His colorful life story includes being the son of a Battle of the Bulge survivor and having dabbled in gold mines and oil wells - successfully.

Flynt's life was supposed to be slowing down this fall. With his youngest child starting at the University of Tennessee, he and Eileen, his wife of 35 years, are planning to take advantage of being empty-nesters for the first time.

Instead, they've moved to this remote patch of West Texas so Flynt can mend an old wound and, he hopes, inspire others.

He became emotional discussing his goal of "helping a bunch of young men to make up for those guys that I let down." Then he laughed about the reality that fellow Baby Boomers are getting the most out of his comeback.

"People are kind of in awe. They keep comparing me to themselves and where they are physically," he said. "If I can help anyone out by what I'm doing, then it's all worth it."

Flynt's position is still being determined, but he used to play linebacker. Wherever he lines up, he'll likely become the oldest player in college football history. Neither the NCAA or NAIA keeps such a statistic, but research hasn't turned up anyone older than...
        -08-22-2007, 04:50 PM
      • MauiRam
        Sylvester Croom .. Meet the Coaches ..
        by MauiRam
        By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

Had Sylvester Croom followed the life plan that he had laid out for himself as a youngster, there’s no doubt he would have had a profound impact on plenty of people.

Make no mistake, though, the things Croom has done and seen in an alternate career path has opened doors, broken down walls and served as inspiration for more people than he might have ever touched as a school administrator.

Croom had originally intended to go through school, coach high school football and eventually work his way up to school principal and eventually superintendent of a local school district.

Instead, Croom became a football coach but what he’s done in a coaching career spanning 32 years has had an impact well beyond what happens on a football field.

“Once I got into coaching, a lot of it had to do at the time there were very few minority coaches, it’s hard to convince yourself you can do something when nobody that looked like you had ever done it,” Croom said. “You know you can but there are a lot of reasons why you can’t do it. But I was raised in a household where you prepare for anything even if the chance is very minor that it could happen.”

Growing up in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Croom spent most of his spare time around a football field. His father, Sylvester Croom Sr., was an All American player at Alabama A&M and eventually became a high school coach.

As a kid, Croom would spend any possible free minute around his father and the game with a particular fondness for games on Friday nights. That played a big role in introducing Croom to the game but he first earned his playing chops on the sandlots of Tuscaloosa.

Football in Alabama is a sort of religion and playing ball on the sandlot fields around town provided kids their first opportunity to experience the competitive aspects of the game.

“It was always serious, even playing in the sandlot,” Croom said. “We’d break up teams based on where you live and what neighborhood you were in. That’s the way we played. It was all about pride. That’s what has always stuck with me in the game.”

It wasn’t until the ninth grade that Croom began playing organized football, stepping on to the team at Tuscaloosa High as a linebacker and tight end. It was in that first year of high school when Croom was first involved in the progress of integration. He was a part of one of the first classes to integrate in Alabama and quickly learned the various moving pieces of that time in history.

Still, as Croom’s career on the field developed and he proved to be one of the better players in the state, he never harbored dreams of doing anything but possibly playing at a traditionally all black college like his father and eventually following his educational pursuits.

As a senior, Croom rooted for the home state school...
        -07-18-2009, 01:50 PM
      • DJRamFan
        Gators' new general keeping tabs on, off field
        by DJRamFan
        July 29, 2005
        By Dennis Dodd
        CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
        Tell Dennis your opinion!

HOOVER, Ala. -- In a league that seemingly has many knuckleheads as All-Americans, Urban Meyer has become the lord of discipline in the SEC.

Let's just say if the touchdowns scored by Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia this season can match the number of arrests, that would be a good thing. Meanwhile, Florida's new coach is walking the walk.

All eyes will be on Chris Leak to carry the Gators. (Getty Images)
        Unlike a portion of his SEC brethren, Florida's new coach is proactive when it comes to The Discipline Thing. It almost seems like he wants to catch wrongdoers.

Seniors are dispatched to local clubs on weekends, sort of like hall monitors, checking to see if their teammates are staying in line.

"It was after one workout, one Thursday night," said free safety Jarvis Herring who was rousted off the couch by one of Meyer's duty calls. "He'll call you in advance."

Herring has been transformed. He told the New York Times that last offseason (under former coach Ron Zook), he and teammates would start drinking in the morning and not stop until late at night -- or until the booze ran out.

Zook, a masterful recruiter, was largely criticized for the team's lack of discipline off the field.

Now Herring is a decorated hall monitor. Meyer chose him to come here as one of the Florida players to speak to the press during SEC preseason media days. While the surveillance might make some Gator upperclassmen uncomfortable about informing on their teammates, it does install a sense of responsibility.

"When I worked for Earle Bruce, he told me discipline is 90 percent anticipation," Meyer said before departing here for Gainesville. "I really believe that. (When we get home) I'm going to drive over and walk through some of the dorm rooms and see how they're doing. I want to meet their parents. I want to know if their mom and dad say they should be at church on Sunday."

Once-a-semester "champions dinners" have been established to honor those players who have achieved as citizens, students and athletes. Those who have get special Florida gear and eat gourmet food in a white-tablecloth setting. In the same room, though, the slackers get hot dogs on paper plates to be reminded of their underachieving status.

"We think that Coach Meyer is going to be the future," senior offensive lineman Mike Degory said. "We're ready to buy into it right now. What he demands from us is a lot of responsibility, a lot of time. What he's going to reward us with is a lot of wins. That's a fair trade in my book."

Meyer is not as hard as he looks. Last year's...
        -07-31-2005, 03:00 PM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Porter Trades In Pom-Poms For Rams' Special Teams
        by r8rh8rmike
        Porter trades in pom-poms for Rams’ special teams

By Les Carpenter
        Yahoo! Sports

ST. LOUIS – Quinn Porter(notes) plays special teams for the St. Louis Rams. He is listed on the roster as a running back, but his primary task is to return kickoffs and play the “gunner” (first man down the field) when the Rams punt. He is a gregarious man with an infectious laugh who gets so excited telling stories that sometimes his mind goes faster than his words. He then has to stop and start over.

Some of this makes him no different than those who dress around him in the Rams’ locker room. What sets Porter apart, though, is that his teammates were recruited out of high school to play college football and were scouted by the NFL throughout their college careers. In most cases, the NFL is not a surprise.

Porter, however, was recruited by no one. And when he did pay his way to tiny Stillman College in Tuscaloosa, Ala., he wasn’t academically eligible to play on the football team. So he did something that would be unthinkable to his NFL teammates:

He became a cheerleader.

“I prefer stuntman,” he says. Because after all, “cheerleader” leaves the impression he was screaming chants into a megaphone and Porter didn’t do that. Instead he clapped and threw the female cheerleaders into the air and caught them and stood next to the field on which he someday hoped to play.

“Don’t forget you’re going places,” his mother, Kim Oliver, back in California, used to say. And so he believed her even as he wore the tight shirt, clapped and held other cheerleaders over his head.

“He’s always been very determined,” Kim says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Football was Quinn’s dream since he was 7 years old and his stepfather, David Oliver, put him in pads and sent him out for his youth football games. But he grew only to be 5-foot-8, 165 pounds as a teenager and the coach at Quartz Hill High School outside Lancaster, Calif., didn’t like to play underclassmen, according to Oliver, so Porter played only his senior year. This didn’t dissuade him from his passion.

He bombarded USC with the few game tapes he had, sending them as high up as athletic director Mike Garrett. Oliver, realizing a more modest goal for the child, sent tapes to smaller schools around the country with little response. It wasn’t until they attended an HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) convention at their church that the name Stillman came up.

It turned out there was a teacher at a local community college who knew the president of Stillman, and the subject of Porter’s possible enrollment was broached. He had never heard of Division II Stillman, but the football coaches seemed interested in having Porter walk on. Since he says the...
        -10-20-2011, 04:04 PM
      Working...
      X