Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rugby World Cup 2011

    Just wondering who on here is going to be following the rugby World Cup which starts tomorrow morning (or whenever depending on your time zone). I know there will be fellow Brits watching and some other international fans but are any Americans interested in rugby? I just read an article that said the World Cup has a new television deal in the US meaning it will have more exposure and that rugby is growing very fast there.

    If you've never watched a game before I thoroughly recommend catching a game (try watching a New Zealand one if you want a lot of action). I'll be waking up early for the next few weeks to see as many games as possible and of course cheer on England.

  • #2
    Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

    I love the sport, though I admit I have only the most rudimentary understanding of the rules.

    If it's on TV, I will definitely try to find it.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

      I'll be watching it

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

        I will be watching also. I will be supporting France though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

          Ah will be watching where I can

          __________________________________________________________
          Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

            Come on Wales!!!!

            just to share some things that may be of interest to some..

            my grandfather played Rugby and played his entire 12 year career in the top flight of Welsh rugby. he was a member of the 1936 national championship winning team, Cross Keys.

            up until the mid 90`s Rugby players were only payed expenses (for travel,kit etc..) they weren`t paid wages. my grandfather was a coal miner and after his first mining accident he had to have one of his kidney`s removed,he was 19 at the time..it was before he made his Cross Keys debut.


            this guy below taught me Geography for 3 years.


            Alan Pask


            Born:10th September 1937 Died:1st November 1995

            Caps: 26 between 1961 and 1967

            Clubs: Abertillery

            Debut for Wales v France 1961

            British Lions: 1962 to South Africa and 1966 tour to New Zealand and Australia

            Played in 8 tests and made a record 38 appearances for the Lions

            His 22 games on the 1966 tour is still the record for number of games played for the Lions on a single tour.

            Alan Pask played for Abertillery and Loughborough College and earned 26 caps for Wales between 1961 and 1967 as a No. 8 and Flanker. He was primarily an attacking player and lead the Welsh pack to win the Triple Crown in 1965. In 1966 he became captain of Wales (taking the Championship) and went on a second Lions tour.
            Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -09-10-2011, 03:50 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

              Gutted!!! my boys should have beaten the World Champions South Africa..but lost a heartbreaker 17-16..Wales had a kick that looked good to everyone but the Ref in the 1st half and should have made a drop goal at the end but he swung it wide..grrrrrr. proud of my boys tho,best performance of the world cup so far.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

                i hope i don`t see my english dad today..or there`ll be a domestic..;)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

                  Originally posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
                  Come on Wales!!!!

                  just to share some things that may be of interest to some..

                  my grandfather played Rugby and played his entire 12 year career in the top flight of Welsh rugby. he was a member of the 1936 national championship winning team, Cross Keys.

                  up until the mid 90`s Rugby players were only payed expenses (for travel,kit etc..) they weren`t paid wages. my grandfather was a coal miner and after his first mining accident he had to have one of his kidney`s removed,he was 19 at the time..it was before he made his Cross Keys debut.


                  this guy below taught me Geography for 3 years.


                  Alan Pask


                  Born:10th September 1937 Died:1st November 1995

                  Caps: 26 between 1961 and 1967

                  Clubs: Abertillery

                  Debut for Wales v France 1961

                  British Lions: 1962 to South Africa and 1966 tour to New Zealand and Australia

                  Played in 8 tests and made a record 38 appearances for the Lions

                  His 22 games on the 1966 tour is still the record for number of games played for the Lions on a single tour.

                  Alan Pask played for Abertillery and Loughborough College and earned 26 caps for Wales between 1961 and 1967 as a No. 8 and Flanker. He was primarily an attacking player and lead the Welsh pack to win the Triple Crown in 1965. In 1966 he became captain of Wales (taking the Championship) and went on a second Lions tour.
                  Wow, a lot of great rugby history in your family and to be taught by a British Lion is amazing, surely you ignored the geography and asked questions about his rugby career? Very interesting, thanks for sharing Andy!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

                    Originally posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
                    Gutted!!! my boys should have beaten the World Champions South Africa..but lost a heartbreaker 17-16..Wales had a kick that looked good to everyone but the Ref in the 1st half and should have made a drop goal at the end but he swung it wide..grrrrrr. proud of my boys tho,best performance of the world cup so far.
                    Unlucky there, got to say I missed the match today although after seeing the tri nations South Africa do seem vulnerable to upsets at the moment. Hopefully Wales won't mess it all up and lose to Fiji again!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

                      Originally posted by TheBritishRam View Post
                      Wow, a lot of great rugby history in your family and to be taught by a British Lion is amazing, surely you ignored the geography and asked questions about his rugby career? Very interesting, thanks for sharing Andy!
                      with Geography some of it was interesting,but we did use the "sir what was it like playing the all blacks in New Zealand" whenever we got onto something like say the rice fields of asia.
                      he was a very humble guy though..the way he would talk about the other players you would think he was just a fan who went along for the ride rather than the guy who has the record for games played as a Lion.

                      he died in very tragic circumstances trying to save his dog after already getting his wife out of their burning house.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

                        Great game by Ireland to beat the dreaded Australians. Samoa vs Wales today should be a good game. Support the Manu Samoa if your watching. Although Wales is my favourite European Team during the Six Nations (Kiwis have some great history with the boys in Red.)

                        Of New Zealand and Samoan descent. So ill support the island boys as far as they can go and then its all All Black Power after that.

                        Havent been keeping up with NFL admittedly a last week or so. World Cup Fever...

                        with Geography some of it was interesting,but we did use the "sir what was it like playing the all blacks in New Zealand" whenever we got onto something like say the rice fields of asia.
                        he was a very humble guy though..the way he would talk about the other players you would think he was just a fan who went along for the ride rather than the guy who has the record for games played as a Lion.

                        he died in very tragic circumstances trying to save his dog after already getting his wife out of their burning house.
                        Great back story on some former Great Rugby Players, sorry to hear about his tragic passing.
                        Last edited by Ram Mar Ram; -09-17-2011, 02:59 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

                          In Anguish ... Samoa Out .. Dan Carter is out for New Zealand .. argghhhh

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

                            What's a good team to rep in rugby?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

                              New Zealand. South Africa. Australia. England. France. Ireland. Wales are the Power teams with Samoa. Argentina and a few others a little behind. USA is ranked about 17th, Canada about 13th. Those teams have gotten alot better over the last few years, hopefully it'll catch on over there.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • SLSG
                                Fisher's initial reaction to watching Rams 2011 game films
                                by SLSG
                                Macaw / Parrot cursing (Angry Bird saying WTF) - YouTube
                                -01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
                              • RamDez
                                Upcoming World Cup (soccer)
                                by RamDez
                                Anyone into soccer, whats yer thoughts on the coming world cup ??
                                -02-14-2002, 03:45 PM
                              • 01d 0rd3r
                                World Cup time
                                by 01d 0rd3r
                                As everyone knows it is world cup time, which mean that one of the biggest sporting events in the world will be going on for the next month. So I am interested, if you watch the World Cup what country to you want to win. I have been an Italian fan since I was little, and look forward to a repeat by the Azzuri. What team is everyone else watching.
                                -06-12-2010, 09:10 AM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                What do you think the Rams' opponents will fear the most in 2011?
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                What part of the Rams' attack will strike the most fear into the Rams' opposition this year?
                                Sam Bradford's abilty to run the McDaniels passing game.
                                20.51%
                                8
                                Steven Jackson as a dual threat running and receiving.
                                10.26%
                                4
                                The Rams' offensive line's ability to control the line of scrimmage.
                                0.00%
                                0
                                The Rams' defensive line's ability to control the line of scrimmage.
                                7.69%
                                3
                                The Rams' pass rush from the front four.
                                30.77%
                                12
                                The Rams' blitz packages.
                                20.51%
                                8
                                Something else? (What?)
                                10.26%
                                4
                                -08-24-2011, 02:43 PM
                              • txramsfan
                                Great Expectations of U.S. Soccer
                                by txramsfan
                                Great expectations of U.S. soccer
                                Sean Wheelock / Fox Soccer Channel


                                For those of us who began avidly following the United States before 1990, Wednesday's 2-1 victory away to Trinidad & Tobago seems like something of a dream.

                                It wasn't just that the U.S. won their opening match in the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualification, it's that they did it with such poise, confidence, and relative ease, in a pretty difficult place to gain a result.

                                Now, I'm not kidding myself into thinking that beating Trinidad & Tobago in Port of Spain is like defeating France in Paris or Brazil in Sao Paulo, but a win away from home in CONCACAF is a quality win. And until relatively recently, they didn't happen all that often for the U.S.

                                Last week, I interviewed Bob Gansler about America's victory vs. Trinidad & Tobago, which resulted in qualification for the 1990 World Cup. The U.S. of course was not supposed to win that match, or even come close to giving the Soca Boyz an actual challenge.

                                At the time it ranked as this country's biggest win in international soccer since the 1-0 defeat of England at the 1950 World Cup. Now, not even a generation later, I am going to treat a 2-1 victory in Port of Spain as, dare I write this, expected. Has American soccer really come that far?

                                I'm actually bracing myself for the columns and comments of the soccer media who will proclaim that the U.S. wasn't dominant enough in that match; that the scoreline should have been more decisive. Perhaps they should be reminded of the years 1951 through 1988 when wins, home or away, were neither plentiful nor expected.

                                As the United States closes in on a fifth consecutive World Cup appearance, it's important to consider a time not that long ago, when even one trip to soccer's biggest event would have been regarded as a miracle. In fact, the berth in Italia 1990 was considered just that. Now a place in Germany 2006 is not only expected, it's demanded.

                                As I watched the match develop from Port of Spain, I could scarcely believe how comfortable and dominant the U.S. squad looked. I had to continually remind myself that Trinidad & Tobago is a very solid squad, with a Premiership goalkeeper, Shaka Hislop of Portsmouth; a defender who starts for Rangers, Marvin Andrews; and two of the best strikers to come out of CONCACAF in the past 20 years, Dwight Yorke and Stern John.

                                I also had to remind myself that Queen's Park Oval in Port of Spain is a very difficult place for an away side to play, as they have to contend with passionate supporters, sweltering temperatures and a pitch, used predominately for cricket, that is both massive, and well, not exactly of the highest standard. Yet, here was the U.S., dominating the match, and looking very much the favorites.

                                The United States is now into its fourth year unbeaten...
                                -02-11-2005, 02:13 PM
                              Working...
                              X