X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZiaRam
    started a topic Non US Ram Fans

Non US Ram Fans

I assume most of you obviously have a love for soccer aka proper football and most of you know how Americans aren't hugely into soccer as most of the world is. Talking with Grounddog recently about Americans having a interest in soccer got me thinking, How did all you become Ram fans and/or American football fans at all? And if you did become a American football fan I'd assume you'd be a East coast team fan ya know? Not a Ram fan. Please explain if you have a couple of minutes since I'm very curious as to how this happens to be...

• ZiaRam
    replied
    Re: Non US Ram Fans

Originally posted by Jd_UK View Post
    3 week Rams fan (that's not a typo, genuinely three weeks), but I've supported Newcastle United all my life so I've done my service with regard to watching my team lose haha
    Well glad to have you as a Rams fan! Will have to say it seems for the most part the Rams have a hugely loyal fan base even through the rough times.... It seems we are about to be on a upswing in the next few years so a good point of becoming a Rams fan lol

And I envy you going to wembley... I've always wanted to go to England and to watch my favorite team there? Dam that would be bad a**!!!! Maybe next year since we are supposed to go the next 3 seasons...

Leave a comment:

• Jd_UK
    replied
    Cheers for the warm welcome let's hope I can bring the luck! Going to Wembley in October, can't contain my excitement.

Leave a comment:

• QUINNtessentialTruth
    replied

Originally posted by Jd_UK View Post
    3 week Rams fan (that's not a typo, genuinely three weeks), but I've supported Newcastle United all my life so I've done my service with regard to watching my team lose haha
    Well then welcome aboard, Rams are the kinda team you will love no matter what. Even in through the periods when you hate them.

I became a Rams fan around the time you did, but for me after the 99 superbowl (the first season I kind of started watching the NFL, after moving into the U.S.). Then ofcourse, as soon as I became a fan we have an awesome season and won the superbowl. I hope you becoming a fan is the version 2 of my story! I'm sure we would all love that.

Leave a comment:

• Jd_UK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• QUINNtessentialTruth
    replied

I guess since I don't live in UK or since I never have. I don't understand how important it is to stick with a team/rivalries. Professional Soccer is like the NBA for me. I am a fan of players more than teams in Premier League/UEFA and the NBA. But thank you for cutting me some slack on the Rams...13 Year fan, never waivered never will :helmet:
    Last edited by QUINNtessentialTruth; -02-23-2012, 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar

Leave a comment:

• Jd_UK
    replied
    You my friend are what we would call a glory supporter ;)

(disclaimer: but you do follow the rams...so fair do's haha)

Leave a comment:

• QUINNtessentialTruth
    replied

I live in the U.S. and have been a fan of Football before American Football. Probably because I was born in India and lived there for a long time as well!

Arsenal has been my team for the longest time, but I am not going to lie I kind of have been giving up on them. I do love the way Thugchester City (A.K.A. Argentina) is playing and am rooting for them this year

Leave a comment:

• ramstiles
    replied

There used to be a sports program on tv that showed highlights of the superbowl about 15 minutes long that got me started and then in 78 I came to LA for a holiday and the ramsbecame my team as well as the dodgers the lakers as I also liked baseball and basketball

you can see from my avitar who I support

Leave a comment:

• Bing69
    replied

Originally posted by ZiaRam View Post
    thats something to be respected right there! Sounds like your a dam good person in life if you are wishy washy as alot of other people are! BtW one day i want to go to Ireland and go to a Pub and challenge some lads to drinking! lol
    Ive only just realised there was a response to this.lol.

I dont see the point of bandwagoning. Once i got to know the Rams players, history etc. it doesnt really matter if they have success all the time. Once you pick a team, for whatever reasons, you support them, through thick and thin. I support Liverpool (soccer) so i have two pretty historic yet recently unsuccessful teams.

You would be more than welcome in any pub im sure to challenge the local lads, but beware....we do have some headcases.....

Leave a comment:

• ZiaRam
    replied

Originally posted by sonnyjames View Post
    Big football (soccer!) fan in the UK but probably a bigger football (NFL!) fan these days.

Had a passing childhood interest in the 80s when games used to be shown on a week's delay in England (no internet and little media coverage in the UK back then to spoil the results!). Was too young to really have a team or understand the game at the time but it got me semi-interested and I always kept an eye out for highlights shows or the Superbowl.

Then, in 2005, I made my first visit to the US. First stop on a driving tour was three days in St Louis. There just happened to be a game at the EJD the weekend we were there (against tomorrow's opponents, coincidentally, the Redskins) so we got tickets and went to watch. Loved the game, loved the city, and that was it for me, I was hooked.

Got back to the UK and started watching every week, either on tv (it had started being shown on pay tv) or via internet highlights. As technology and channels have improved / increased since, I've been able to watch more and more. For the last four years I've subscribed to NFL Gamepass, which gives us 24/7 NFL Network and live and archived access to every NFL game, every week. Only Rams game I've missed in three years (including pre-season) was when I was in the US on holiday last November! We were staying in Chicago so I had to make do with watching Redzone!

We're back this year - but stopping by St Louis first up, again, so that I can go the Seahawks game on Nov 20th. Can't wait, am so, so excited for this trip!

Typing while watching the Cards at the Phillies in the wild card game - the Rams are my passion but am watching all the STL sides (including the Blues!) as much as possible these days. Desperate for the Rams to stay put in St Louis, because that's where my original connection begins.
    Snap sonny, I don't think I'm going to be able to make the Cards rams game this year and was thinking of going to STL to go catch a game at the Dome to make it up this year and that was the game i was thinking of going! If it is I'll let you know we'll meet up and have a beer or something!

Leave a comment:

• ZiaRam
    replied

Originally posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I got into American Football when the game first come over to the U.K in 1985. The very first game I watched was the LA Rams v San Francisco. Id heard of Joe Montana, but was blew away by a play by Ron Brown, who Id remembered from the Olympic Games in 84. The Rams went on to beat the ***** and it all started from there.!

From the age of 15 to 18 I played running back for the Manchester Spartans, the game in 1985 exploded for a few short years, but the interest has waned a hell of lot since then. American Football in the U.K is a minority sport, but the fans who do like it are hardcore I would say. When I first started supporting the Rams the in 85-86 season. There was no satellite TV. The only way to get any access to live football was the Armed Forces Radio Network. The Rams being a West coast team, helped me big time with getting Rams coverage for two reasons.
    The reception on radio, from 6pm till 9pm british time, when the majority of the games kicked off, was non existent almost. At around nine o'clock onwards the reception mostly cleared up, which was good for me, as the Rams home games mostly kicked off at 9pm. There was a greater chance also the Rams would be picked for that radio slot, being a West coast team. I used to listen to the Sunday night games every week as the signal was crystal clear at 1-45am to 2am British time.
    I do not think fans in the U.K give any thoughts to the east coast, west coast thing.?
    Hmmm. thats Crazy GroundDog I've never thought that Britain would have any form of football organised like that. You obviously have to be dam dedicated if your listening to broadcasts early in the morning! lol Have those fires in Britain died down from the looting and all that?

Leave a comment:

• ZiaRam
    replied

Originally posted by Bing69 View Post
    I think it was a mixture of NFL being shown on tv late at night and Madden. I remember being in Game and picking up a copy of Madden because id seen a few games on tv so thought getting the game might help me pick up the rules, players etc. The cover athlete just happened to be Marshall Faulk, and so i went with the Rams. Funny enough i havent seen much success since then, but hey im not jumping on a bandwagon, the Rams are my team now
    thats something to be respected right there! Sounds like your a dam good person in life if you are wishy washy as alot of other people are! BtW one day i want to go to Ireland and go to a Pub and challenge some lads to drinking! lol

Leave a comment:

• ZiaRam
    replied

Originally posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    Not a Soccer Fan, I'm from Rugby Mad New Zealand.
    Re-enforced by the fact Samoans have a great Appreciation for Brutal Contact Sports (i think its genetically hardwired into Samoans). Is why Rugby and American Football top my list.
    Well I'm a All Blacks Fan now thanks to you! lol Going to start looking htem up on the net... also I need to start learning the rules everytime I watch rugby on TV I have no diea what the hell they are doing and why. P.s. i was watching a game in Australia and was amusing seeing a huge flock of birds just chillin out on the field while they played!
    And i used to live in hawaii and have met alot of good Samoaen friends that were cool as hell! My favorite one of all time is THE ROCK!!

Leave a comment:

• ZiaRam
    replied

Thanks for responding all you guys... all your posts are very interesting to me! How you Enjoy the Rep!

Leave a comment: