Olympics (beware of spoilers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: Olympics (beware of spoilers)

They should have had gollum try to steal one of the rings.

Comment

I think they need more combined sports:

Equestrian Water Polo (who knows how to do horse CPR?)
      Skeet Shooting/Gymnastics Vault (pull!)
      Archery/100 meters (those guys are hard to hit at that speed)
      Rhythmic Boxing (and 1, 2, 3, smack!)
      Fencing vs. Javelin (to the death!)

I know I'd watch more.

Comment

I felt awful for Jordyn Wieber. It's really a shame that she can put up the fourth-best individual score but not be included in the individual all-around women's gymnastics final because of the two-per-team rule. In fact, four athletes in the Top 24 did not qualify because of that rule.

I guess the argument is, beat your teammates if you want to ensure you're in, but it still seems like a shame to me. That said, I hope Gabby Douglas or Alexandra Raisman bring home the gold.

The focus on swimming on the primetime coverage has been over the top, IMO. We get it, it's been a popular summer Olympic sport, especially in recent years. But let's show some other stuff as well, huh? I would have loved to see more primetime coverage of Kimberly Rhode's awesome skeet accomplishment, but aside from a brief mention, there was little to be found of it. These events have such a variety of sports, but you wouldn't know it from the primetime coverage.
        Last edited by Nick; -07-30-2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
          I felt awful for Jordyn Wieber. It's really a shame that she can put up the fourth-best individual score but not be included in the individual all-around women's gymnastics final because of the two-per-team rule. In fact, four athletes in the Top 24 did not qualify because of that rule. Seems like a shame to me.
          I totally agree. The policy is a joke. Wieber is the current defending World Champion for cryin' out loud, in addition to having the fourth best score, yet she is shut out of an opportunity she has been sacrificing her entire life for. It's actually quite heartbreaking.

I'm just not a fan of the "spread it around" mentality, which is exactly what this two only per team policy is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
            I totally agree. The policy is a joke. Wieber is the current defending World Champion for cryin' out loud, in addition to having the fourth best score, yet she is shut out of an opportunity she has been sacrificing her entire life for. It's actually quite heartbreaking.

I'm just not a fan of the "spread it around" mentality, which is exactly what this two only per team policy is doing.
            It just doesn't make any sense when you consider the point of the competition. I simply don't this two-per-team rule as a justifiable reason to exclude competitors whose scores indicate they should be included. When Top Five contenders - let alone Top 24 contenders - are being excluded, then it starts to diminish the field, if only slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
              It just doesn't make any sense when you consider the point of the competition. I simply don't this two-per-team rule as a justifiable reason to exclude competitors whose scores indicate they should be included. When Top Five contenders - let alone Top 24 contenders - are being excluded, then it starts to diminish the field, if only slightly.
              The rule is in place to promote diversity and increase participation by as many nations as possible, but as you mentioned, the Olympics is ultimately about competition. Having someones nationality decide that competition as opposed to their athletic ability, is again, a joke.

Comment

Thelps coming 2nd in the 200 butterfly must be a big shock. The commentators where saying this was his best discipline. Having said that he lost by the smallest of margins. Though Ian Thorpe tipped De Clos before the race.

Comment

Originally posted by Thompo View Post
                  Thelps coming 2nd in the 200 butterfly must be a big shock. The commentators where saying this was his best discipline. Having said that he lost by the smallest of margins. Though Ian Thorpe tipped De Clos before the race.
                  Not a shock, but very disappointing. It's clear Phelps is not in top form for London, but I was hoping he could dig down deep and win his signature event. .05, oh so close after getting caught in-between strokes at the wall. On the other hand, it was awesome to see Phelps win a gold in the 4 x 200 freestyle relay, as he helped team USA absolutely destroy the field.

Comment

Re: Olympics (beware of spoilers)

Great performance today by the British rowers and Bradley Wiggins in the time trials. What an amazing few weeks he has had, winning the tour de france and now Gold today to become the most decorated British Olympian.

Comment

Originally posted by TennMike View Post
                      Anyone else absolutely love the Summer Games? Can't beat Women's Beach Volleyball in my opinion.

Whats your fav?
                      Beach volleyball? I see that every weekend here in Huntington Beach.

But it never gets old....
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Re: Olympics (beware of spoilers)

Originally posted by Thompo View Post
                        Great performance today by the British rowers and Bradley Wiggins in the time trials. What an amazing few weeks he has had, winning the tour de france and now Gold today to become the most decorated British Olympian.
                        Wiggins is just so impressive. He rode a perfect Tour, dominating the competition, and now a gold in the time trial, a discipline he owns. Good for him. Chris Froome isn't too shabby either.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

lol must read this
                          by Guest
                          I got this from the cards M-board

Random thoughts from people 25-35 years old.

-I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

-More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can
                          think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell
                          my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

-Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
                          realize you're wrong.

-Have you ever been walking down the street and realized that you're
                          going in the complete opposite direction of where you are supposed to
                          be going? But instead of just turning a 180 and walking back in the direction
                          from which you came, you have to first do something like check your
                          watch or phone or make a grand arm gesture and mutter to yourself to
                          ensure that no one in the surrounding area thinks you're crazy by
                          randomly switching directions on the sidewalk.

-That's enough, Nickelback.

-I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

-Is it just me, or are 80% of the people in the "people you may know"
                          feature on Facebook people that I do know, but I deliberately choose
                          not to be friends with?

-Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't
                          work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically
                          fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all
                          know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards
                          or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.

-Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and
                          suddenly realize I had no idea what the f was going on when I first saw it.

-I think everyone has a movie that they love so much, it actually
                          becomes stressful to watch it with other people. I'll end up wasting
                          90 minutes shiftily glancing around to confirm that everyone's
                          laughing at the right parts, then making sure I laugh just a little bit
                          harder (and a millisecond earlier) to prove that I'm still the only one
                          who really, really gets it.

-How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

-I would rather try to carry 10 plastic grocery bags in each hand than
                          take 2 trips to bring my groceries in.

- I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear
                          your computer history if you die.

-The only time I look forward to a red light is when I'm trying to finish a text.

- A recent study has shown that playing beer pong contributes to the
                          spread of mono and the flu. Yeah, if you suck at it.

- LOL has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

-09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
                        • r8rh8rmike
                          I'm Watching Amazon's "All or Nothing"........
                          by r8rh8rmike
                          ......and while I didn't expect much, especially since it's based on the Rams' disastrous 2016 season, it's quite good so far, much better than "Hard Knocks" IMO, focusing more on football, and less on silly stuff like mermaids and dinosaurs.

Last season was a blur for me, and I'd forgotten how great the start was, and how much excitement most of us had at 3-1. Watching the season crumble all over again is a bit tough, but the insight, emotion, and behind the scenes dialog is very entertaining, and getting me ready for Rams football.

I'm on episode 8, and would encourage anyone who has the opportunity, to check it out.
                          -07-17-2017, 02:55 PM
                        • Nick
                          Deadwood
                          by Nick
                          Anyone else watch this show? I picked up a sample disc of some HBO programs in Best Buy, watched the pilot for Deadwood, and got hooked. This is a new kind of Western, and definitely succeeds in delivering some great acting and writing. I would recommend it if you enjoy HBO-type dramas. Unfortunately, it looks as if I'm late to the party as the series is coming to an end - I think Season 3 is wrapped up and there aren't plans for a fourth season but rather some two-hour movies to tie up loose ends.
                          -10-03-2006, 09:25 AM
                        • Drew
                          letting ya know a lil "personal" stuff about me...
                          by Drew
                          i know there are some pretty warm and decent human beings on here and also perhaps say 90% that are all about bravado( maybe too high a percentage but im just guessing)..

anyway what im saying is perhaps this isnt the place to share stuff that is important to us outside of football but i would like to become friends with as many folks as possible and at this point i would like to share something....

as some may know ive had mental health issues well aslong as i can remember(pre-teens) my mother was in a mental health hospital in L.A. when i was born...and i have bi-polar effective disorder as well as other mental health issues, anyway....for the last 5 years ive been written off in the employment stakes because of it(and maybe to a degree my brawls with cancer),its been eating me up that i havent been able to do the things i love like my Teaching...i have tried to put my self in the ground on way too many occassions because have felt that if i cant help people then,my life is meaningless....

anyway....on monday i started back as a teacher (the other areas authority wrote me off...i moved but wherever i went it was like oooooh...and altho they couldn`t visually discriminate against me,they found a way!)

to be a teacher again means the world to me and have been moved to tears in private,thinking about how ive been written off at nearly every place ive been and sometimes by myself,yet someone took a chance on me and all feedback from them so far is that they are more than pleased that they did!

sorry if this is not something youve wanted to read but i just wanted to share!
                          -02-20-2008, 04:31 AM
                        • FestusRam
                          One thing about some "fans" that i can't even fathom
                          by FestusRam
                          As bad as the Rams are and have been, I don't get when people say, "I'm definitely not watching this weeks game. They're probably going to lose".

Whaaattt....

As an avid fan of football and the Rams, I will NEVER understand this.

If we lost 45 straight games, I would be watching the 46th.

Why? Because, I love football and the Rams are my team. I get up every Sunday excited to watch the Rams no matter how they perform(of course I want a win).

I just don't get it. They play only 16 times a year and some "fans" skip games.

Any Given Sunday people!! We can beat any teams any week, ask the Saints.

Even if I knew they were going to lose, I'd still watch the game. Because, like I said, I love football and the Rams. I honestly hardly understand when fans quit watching when its turning into a blow out. I've watched every game down to the last minute and I always will.

I don't about anyone else, but in my book, don't call yourself a die hard fan and in the same sentence talk about skipping a hard matchup. If you want to use the excuse that we're bad, go watch the Patriots. They'll gladly take another bandwagon fan.
                          -11-29-2011, 06:24 PM
                        Working...
                        X