• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source: Lakers Fire Brown

Source: Lakers fire Mike Brown

Updated: November 9, 2012, 1:17 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Lakers coach Mike Brown has been fired after a 1-4 start to the season, a source tells ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne.

It is not known yet who will take over for him, but a source indicated that one of assistant coaches Bernie Bickerstaff or Chuck Person will take over on an interim basis.

Sources had said earlier Friday that his job would be in jeopardy if the team did not perform well on its upcoming six-game homestand.

The Lakers have had a healthy Steve Nash in the lineup for only 1˝ of their five games so far thanks to a leg injury, while fellow newcomer Dwight Howard has acknowledged that he's still recovering from the back surgery that brought a premature end to his 2011-12 campaign and knocked him out of the London Olympics. Kobe Bryant has also been playing through a foot ailment.

The Lakers are off to the worst start in the Western Conference despite carrying the league's largest payroll at just over $100 million, which would trigger an estimated luxury-tax bill at season's end of nearly $30 million.

The team has also been trying to institute a form of the Princeton offense, a system that relies on reads and ball sharing in order to take some offensive load off Bryant. The results have been mixed so far.

Re: Source: Lakers Fire Brown

This is one screwed up team. So much for the patience Kobe told Lakers fans to have. I guess it's a case of "do as I say, not as I do".

Comment

I'm glad Brown is gone. He never seemed like the right man for the job to begin with.
      sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
        I'm glad Brown is gone. He never seemed like the right man for the job to begin with.
        I agree, but I don't think they're going to find the right man this season. The Lakers have put themselves in a tough situation.

I wonder if the guy who calls the shots in LA, Kobe, had anything to do with Brown getting fired.

Comment

Source: Lakers Fire Brown

Bring in Brian shaw.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
            I agree, but I don't think they're going to find the right man this season. The Lakers have put themselves in a tough situation.

I wonder if the guy who calls the shots in LA, Kobe, had anything to do with Brown getting fired.
            Kobe is going to pull a Bill Russell, player coach.

Comment

Mike D'Antoni is the new man in charge. Showtime has already been used so we are going to need a new nickname because you know D'Antoni is all about offense!

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                Mike D'Antoni is the new man in charge. Showtime has already been used so we are going to need a new nickname because you know D'Antoni is all about offense!
                What did the Knicks call him??

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                  What did the Knicks call him??
                  Umm...You are so FIRED!?!?

I was hoping that Phil Jax would come back for another championship run. I remember this D'Antoni guy when he coached the Suns. The Lakers beat them regularly.

Defense wins championships as all Lakers fans know.:disapointed:

WHAT SAY YE?

Comment

Mike Antoni!

No "D."

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• dgr828
                      Lakers' Vlad-Rad to Bobcats for Adam Morrison
                      by dgr828
                      The Los Angeles Lakers deal F Vladimir Radmonivic to The Charlotte Bobcats for SF Adam Morrison. The Lakers also aquire PG Shannon Brown, in the trade. How does Morrison fit in the Lakers schemes?
                      -02-07-2009, 01:39 PM
                    • laram0
                      Pau Gasol traded to Lakers
                      by laram0
                      Lakers traded Kwame Brown, Crittendon and 2 draft picks for Gasol.

(rotoworld)
                      -02-01-2008, 02:10 PM
                    • RamOfDenmark
                      How about Fahkir Brown pulling a Merriman?
                      by RamOfDenmark
                      I wonder if Fahkir Brown could use the same legal trick that Merriman used against us last season - start some appeal process and then later turn around and accept the suspension but only after postponing it by a week. It was a dirty move on Merriman's part trying to make sure he would miss 4 games against the weakest possible opponents, but hey if that's legal we should be able to take advantage also. As I see it the situations look very similar they're both accused of taking illegal substances and due to serve a 4 game suspension.

If Brown could pull such a move it would result in him being able to play against the Panthers and miss the 5th game against the Cardinals instead, as I see it that would be advantageous to us (Arizona may have good receivers, but so has Carolina and they are clearly IMO a stronger team overall - more of a chance that we lose that game than against Arizona).

Does anyone know why this may or may not be possible? It should at least be investigated by the Rams/Brown.
                      -09-01-2007, 06:50 AM
                    • Rip32
                      Brown Sets Sights On Starting
                      by Rip32
                      Brown Sets Sights on Starting
                      Friday, March 31, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
                      Senior Writer

On the surface, the Rams’ signing of cornerback Fakhir Brown on March 14 might have been a simple afterthought in the grand scheme of the team’s many offseason moves.

But, if Brown has his way, the move will be much more than a simple under the radar signing.

“I am expecting to be a starter,” Brown said. “That’s what I want to be…a starter. I have got big plans for myself.”

It didn’t take much for Brown to agree to a five-year deal with the Rams considering what he perceived as a prime opportunity to have his breakout season.

Soon after his arrival for a free agent visit in mid-March, Brown put pen to paper on a contract. The reasons for his choosing St. Louis were obvious. Jim Haslett, his former head coach in New Orleans is now in charge of the Rams defense, giving Brown a chance for a comfortable transition to St. Louis.

“I look at him like he’s still the head coach because that’s the only thing I know him as,” Brown said. “It seems to me that he will be just the same as he was in New Orleans.”

But, perhaps more important for Brown was what Haslett and the rest of the coaching staff told him about his potential role in St. Louis. In his time with the Saints, Brown had been limited almost exclusively to a role as the nickel back and on special teams until 2004 when he started the final 10 games of the year. He finished that season with two interceptions, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and 65 tackles.

Brown seemed to be on the verge of a breakout after that performance, but things changed again after he chose to stage a holdout in hopes of a new contract. He didn’t miss any minicamp or training camp, but it didn’t help to miss a chunk of the offseason conditioning program.

Brown started the year as the team’s starting cornerback in 2005, but suffered a knee injury that cost him four games. By the time he returned from that injury and a legal issue, Fred Thomas had the starting job essentially nailed down.

When he was on the field, he was playing in nickel or sub packages, only called upon when opponents went to three or four receiver packages. Brown started four games and finished with 31 tackles, six passes defended.

Now, Brown has the contract he had been looking for after 2004 and the opportunity that he has long sought.

“It feels very good for me,” Brown said. “I talked to the defensive coaches once I made it here. I have talked to the coaches and everyone is making me feel comfortable and at home. They are just telling me to keep doing what I have been doing and everything will work out well.”

In signing with St. Louis, Brown joins a crowded defensive back field that is wanting for talented cover men. As it stands, the Rams...
                      -03-31-2006, 12:07 PM
                    • Tampa_Ram
                      Rams Cutting Jason Brown
                      by Tampa_Ram
                      Source: Rams cutting Jason Brown
                      by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, March 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm ET

Jason Brown Profile

St. Louis Rams center Jason Brown has been informed by coach Jeff Fisher that he'll be released today, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

The Rams abruptly replaced Brown with Tony Wragge at the end of last season despite Brown receiving high blocking grades from the coaching staff.

Brown joined the Rams three years ago when he was signed to a five-year, $37.5 million contract that included $20 million in guaranteed money and made him the highest-paid center in the game.

Under the terms of that deal, he's due a $5 million base salary and carries a $7.2 million salary-cap figure for next season.

He started 46 games in three seasons for the Rams.

A former Baltimore Ravens fourth-round draft pick from North Carolina, Brown, 28, has started 91 career games.

The 6-foot-3, 320-pounder has built a reputation for his leverage, strength and technique.
                      -03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
                    Working...
                    X