RIP Oscar Taveras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Oscar Taveras

Reports are the young player for the Cardinals has died along with his girlfriend in a car accident. It's reported he was driving and both are dead. Only their deaths reported nothing else.

Reports: Cardinals Prospect Oscar Taveras Killed In Car Crash

Two people so young and with so much to live for. Sadness from a Dodgers fan to Taveras and his family.
    The restoration is complete!

Re: RIP Oscar Taveras

awful news...

my condolences to their friends and families

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsFan16
      Huge News! Breaking News **leinart Not Entering Nfl Draft. Won't Get Nfl Career
      by RamsFan16
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12059585/

Leinart giving up NFL for ballroom dancing?
      Shocking news as 2004 Heisman winner stands to lose millions
      Leinart
      Jae C. Hong / AP
      Former USC quarterback Matt Leinart took one class in the 2005 season: ballroom dancing. NBCSports.com columnist Mike Celizic has learned that the class has led to an unlikely career change for the former Heisman winner.
      View related photos

More on NFL

• Analysis: NFL moving away from networks
      • Commentary: Panthers, Browns winners
      • Expert: Patriots still tops in AFC East
      • Ventre: Pats the pick in 2007
      • Discussion boards: Sound off on every team
      • Complete Super Bowl XL coverage
      • Full NFL coverage
      Most Popular
      • Most Viewed • Top Rated • Most E-mailed
      • U.S. helicopter crashes southwest of Baghdad
      • How Geeky Are You?
      • Explorers: True source of Nile found in Rwanda
      • Three men charged in 'dungeon' castration
      • Freed journalist lands in Germany on way home
      • Most viewed on MSNBC.com
      • $300 million deal to shield working forests
      • Blind leads the blind — to safety
      • Ex-DeLay aide pleads guilty in lobby case
      • ‘Unprecedented die-off’ of Caribbean coral
      • Sole Sago Mine survivor returns home
      • Watch your mouth!
      • "Bogus Botox" a dangerous beauty bargain
      • Three men charged in 'dungeon' castration
      • Explorers: True source of Nile found in Rwanda
      • Indiana springs forward reluctantly
      GET YOUR FANTASY SPORTS FIX
      Play Fantasy Sports
      • Get latest on football, baseball, more
      By Mike Celizic
      MSNBC contributor
      Updated: 12:18 a.m. ET April 1, 2006

Mike Celizic
      After much soul-searching, 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart has decided to forego a career in the NFL and pursue his true passion, ballroom dancing. The shocking news was learned exclusively by MSNBC.com late Thursday and confirmed by the quarterback.

“Positive,” Leinart said when asked by this reporter in a cell phone conversation if the stunning news was true. “Most people don’t know this about me, because I never talked about it; it’s not something football players want to get around the locker room. But as a kid, I’d watch Fred Astaire movies with my mom and dad and I’d think, ‘If I could be him, I’d be the happiest man in the world.’ Sure, I wanted a shot at another national championship, but the real reason I stayed an extra year in school was to take that ballroom dancing class to see if it was for me. And it was.”

Rarely does any athlete with a shot at the big time turn it down. And no one of Leinart’s stature has done so since Jay Berwanger, the winner of the first Heisman Trophy...
      -04-01-2006, 10:28 AM
    • Nick
      WWE superstar Chris Benoit dead, discovered with family at home
      by Nick
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/...4C0oRQerUE1vAI

What a horrible, horrible story. As an off and on wrestling fan since a kid, I always respected Benoit as a really professional and talented performer. But this... wow. Hopefully as the evidence is discovered, it'll somehow turn out he didn't do it.
      -06-25-2007, 09:14 PM
    • psycho9985
      Information over due
      by psycho9985

While our GI's are in Iraq, the supper table at the homes of their parents is a time of somber tones and hidden stress, even if only talking about the weather or the high school football game; a time of listening for a car pulling into the driveway; a time of wanting to watch the news but then again not; and a time of a certain amount of discomfort when thinking of trying to go to sleep at night.

At least that is the way I remember it at my parents' supper time while I was growing up in southern Middle Tennessee 1967-1971.

In 1967, my oldest brother John, a 1st Lt. in the Army, came by our home in Tennessee to say goodbye to our parents before leaving for duty in Vietnam. I remember John and my parents having many discussions about the logistics of him being away for a year: who would take care of his car, where his belongings would be stored, what to do if he did not come back, and of many other topics which I do not remember. What I remember most of those discussions was that they were in somber, matter-of-fact tones.

My father worked at the nearby Air Force base as a weapons engineer. Not long after John left the country, my father made the comment one night at dinner that he knew most of the Air Force personnel out at the base (some of whom were later killed in Vietnam during flight operations) and even knew the officers tasked with bringing the casualty news to local families.
      That last point stuck with me for the next four years.

Before John had come home safely, the cycle started over again. At Christmas dinner in 1968, my #3 brother James announced to my parents that on his way home from college he had stopped in Nashville and joined the Marines. By late 1969, James was on patrols as a squad sergeant up near the DMV. Fortunately, James also made it home.

Nightly during those years, my parents and I would eat supper together and discuss the evening news as reported by Huntley and Brinkley. During those years, supper time was a somber, tension filled meal. We discussed the war and the politics. We discussed the student protests, the ministers condemning the war from pulpits, the racial riots, the campuses shutting down. I know my parents (both conservative, both Depression veterans and yet neither probably ever voted Republican in their lives) struggled with LBJ's inability to define Vietnam and make a decision about it. All the contradictions and uncertainties and blatant falsities of the time, however, did not damage my father's principles. I think back at those talks and realize the seriousness of the discussions and my father's insights shaped me into a life long political conservative.

I also better now remember now the tone of what underlay these talks: the parental angst, the stress, the reduced amount of humor (humor was an endearing trait of my father), and the lack of liveliness in our supper
      -05-14-2005, 10:10 PM
    • UtterBlitz
      Black and White and Full of Crap - the Pat Tillman story
      by UtterBlitz
      I could not resist the title. Black and White .......

Published on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 by UExpress.com
      Black and White and Full of Crap
      by Ted Rall

One year ago the American media was pushing the Pat Tillman story with the heavy rotation normally reserved for living celebs like Michael Jackson. Tillman, the former NFL player who turned down a multi-million dollar football contract to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, became a centerpiece of the right's Hamas-style death cult when he lost his life in the mountains of southeastern Afghanistan. To supporters of the wars and to many football fans, Tillman embodied ideals of self-sacrifice and post-9/11 butt-kicking in a hard-bodied shell of chisel-chinned masculinity on steroids.

Tillman's quintessential nobility, we were told, was borne out by the story of his death--a tale that earned him a posthumous Silver Star. Whether you were for or against Bush's wars, Americans were told, Tillman's valor showed why you should support the troops. Young men were encouraged to emulate his praiseworthy example.

Several thousand mourners gathered at Tillman's May 3, 2004 memorial service to hear marquee names including Arizona Senator John McCain called upon all Americans to "be worthy of the sacrifices made on our behalf." "Tillman died trying to save fellow members of the 75th Ranger Regiment caught in a crush of enemy fire," the Arizona Republic quoted a fellow soldier addressing the crowd. Tillman, said his friend and comrade-at-arms, had told his fellow soldiers "to seize the tactical high ground from the enemy" to draw enemy fire away from another U.S. platoon trapped in an ambush. "He directly saved their lives with those moves. Pat sacrificed his life so that others could live." It was, as the Washington Post wrote, a "storybook personal narrative"--one recounted on hundreds of front pages and network newscasts.

It was also a lie.

As sharp-eyed readers learned a few months ago from single-paragraph articles buried deep inside their newspapers, Pat Tillman died pointlessly, a hapless victim of "friendly fire" who never got the chance to choose between bravery and cowardice. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Washington Post now reports that Pentagon and White House officials knew the truth "within days" after his April 22, 2004 shooting by fellow Army Rangers but "decided not to inform Tillman's family or the public until weeks after" the nationally televised martyr-a-thon.

It gets worse. So desperate were the military brass to carry off their propaganda coup that they lied to Tillman's brother, a fellow soldier who arrived on the scene shortly after the incident, about how he died. Writing in an army report, Brigadier General Gary Jones admits that the official...
      -01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
    • Nick
      Cardinals GM Steve Keim cited for DUI on July 4
      by Nick
      Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim cited for DUI on July 4
      BY KTAR.COM | JULY 7, 2018 AT 6:59 AM
      UPDATED: JULY 7, 2018 AT 12:14 PM

PHOENIX — Arizona Cardinals general manager Steve Keim was cited for a DUI on July 4. He was released that same night after being processed.

Chandler police confirmed to KTAR News 92.3 it happened during a traffic stop near Dobson and Ocotillo roads.

The team and Keim released statements Saturday morning.

“We are aware of the incident on Wednesday involving Steve Keim. He fully recognizes the seriousness of the situation and that this type of behavior is unacceptable and inexcusable,” the statement said.

“Steve immediately alerted the team who in turn reported it to the NFL as required under the league’s Personal Conduct Policy. We are continuing to gather information and will handle the matter appropriately and in accordance with all league policies as well as within the legal system.”

Keim’s statement, who was promoted to Cardinals general manager in 2013 after spending time in the team’s front office, is below.

“I truly regret my incredibly poor judgment and inexcusable actions. Everyone associated with the NFL and its teams is held to a high standard of behavior and I obviously failed to meet that. I sincerely apologize to our organization and its fans as well as to my family. I accept full responsibility for my actions and hold myself completely accountable. Moving forward, I will take the steps to ensure that I never put myself or the Cardinals in this type of situation again.”

Keim has been with the organization since 1999. In February, he signed a four-year contract extension through the 2022 season.

Two years ago, former Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd was suspended four games because of an arrest for a DUI in Scottsdale.
      -07-08-2018, 06:24 AM
    Working...
    X