Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twins agree to four-year, $40M deal with Santana

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Twins agree to four-year, $40M deal with Santana

    Feb. 14, 2005
    By Scott Miller
    SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Scott your opinion!


    The Minnesota Twins not only avoided an arbitration hearing with Cy Young winner Johan Santana, they locked him into their rotation long-term by agreeing to a four-year deal worth in the neighborhood of $40 million, sources told SportsLine.com on Monday.

    Advertisement


    The agreement, contingent on Santana passing a physical examination, further solidifies a Minnesota pitching staff that led the American League in ERA last season. Santana, who emerged as the staff ace, went 20-6 with a 2.61 ERA. By signing Brad Radke to a two-year deal earlier this winter, the Twins now will have their top two starters, Santana and Radke, together for at least two more seasons.

    While Radke pitched as well in 2004 as he had in any of his previous seasons, manager Ron Gardenhire said, the veteran right-hander still pitched in Santana's shadow. That was difficult to avoid: Santana went 13-0 with a 1.21 ERA in 15 post-All-Star break starts. During one point in the run, Santana strung together 36 1/3 scoreless innings.


    Johan Santana went 13-0 after the All-Star break last year. (Getty Images)
    Consequently, Santana collected a unanimous 28 first-place votes in the Cy Young balloting.

    All this and Santana, 26, will enter only his second full season in a major-league rotation. If there is any downside to his game, it is that he has a tendency at times to nibble around the strike zone. He averaged about 6 2/3 innings per start in 2004 and threw only one complete game. Gardenhire would like to seem him pitch deeper in games in '05.

    "One thing I want to prove is that this is not just something that happened, this isn't lucky," Santana said in November on a conference call with reporters after becoming the first native Venezuelan to win a Cy Young award. "I have to be consistent from now on. We have to prove why we won the award.

    "Next season, we have to make sure to keep the Minnesota Twins winning the division title, and going to the World Series. In order for that to happen, we have to perform better than we did this year."

    Santana, who would have been eligible for free agency after the 2006 season, had asked for a raise from $1.6 million to $6.8 million and had been offered $5 million by the Twins.

    In agreeing to terms, Santana and the Twins avoided a salary arbitration hearing that was scheduled for Tuesday.

  • #2
    Re: Twins agree to four-year, $40M deal with Santana

    Can the Twins hit?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Twins agree to four-year, $40M deal with Santana

      Yes they can. power homeruns might not be there as much as other teams, but they are very talented hitters and are very young in the infield. I've seen their infield in Rochester and they're all very talented. Morneau is a stud too.

      Comment

      Related Topics

      Collapse

      • txramsfan
        Rangers in line for Delgado
        by txramsfan
        http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/012005dnsporangdate.613a7.html


        Rangers a step behind in pursuit of Delgado

        Friday meeting with slugger will be after other suitors

        By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News



        ARLINGTON – By the time the Rangers step up to the plate to speak face-to-face with Carlos Delgado and agent David Sloane on Friday, they'll already be behind in the count.

        The Rangers signed reliever Carlos Almanzar for a one-year base salary of $1.1 million. Their chief competition for Delgado – the Florida Marlins and New York Mets – will each have had two cuts. Sloane, who had a long conversation with Marlins officials on Tuesday, said he would meet with the Mets today in Puerto Rico.

        Mets officials met with Delgado, sans Sloane, in Puerto Rico a little over a week ago. The Marlins met with the duo in South Florida over the weekend. This will be the Rangers first significant contact since Sloane met with a slew of teams at the winter meetings.

        "We are going to give it our best shot," Rangers owner Tom Hicks said from the Dominican Republic. "We know he's got other opportunities, but we like how we stack up. We're an [American League] team. He likes our park. He likes our young team. He likes our bullpen."

        One potential sticking point for Delgado, however, might be his role. While the Marlins and Mets are willing to make Delgado a full-time first baseman, he would likely DH the majority of the time in Texas and spell Mark Teixeira in the field for 30 or so games.

        Almanzar signs: The Rangers remained perfect in the John Hart era at avoiding a salary arbitration hearing by agreeing to terms with right-handed reliever Carlos Almanzar. Almanzar will receive a base salary of $1.1 million.

        The Rangers had already agreed with their other three arbitration-eligible players: catcher Rod Barajas, second baseman Alfonso Soriano and outfielder Gary Matthews Jr.

        "We don't like to go to hearings and get into a contrary situation with the players," GM Hart said. "We believe in them all year, we don't want to say anything negative in a hearing. This way, we go forward as a band of brothers."

        Almanzar, who was 7-3 with a 3.72 ERA last year, led Rangers relievers in wins. Almanzar missed the last week of the season with shoulder fatigue but said Tuesday his arm was fine. He did pitch briefly in the Dominican winter league.

        No rush for extensions: While owner Tom Hicks said he expects manager Buck Showalter to be with the team for a long time, he said a contract extension was not on the team's immediate agenda.

        "Our focus this week is on Dominican academies, not contract extensions," Hicks said. "We may sit down and have a ****tail...
        -01-20-2005, 12:40 PM
      • Nick
        Pasquarelli discusses Delhomme's new contract, among other things
        by Nick
        Delhomme's Pact Could Affect Couch, Warner
        By Len Pasquarelli
        ESPN.com

        It is called lagniappe, an old Cajun word that roughly translates into "a little bit extra," and a term with which Carolina Panthers quarterback and dyed-in-the-gumbo Louisiana native Jake Delhomme was familiar, long before he agreed Thursday morning to his pricey new five-year contract extension.

        Rewarding their emerging star with a contract that reportedly could be worth as much as $38 million, a deal criticized in some NFL precincts because there remains a core group of skeptics anxious to see if Delhomme was just a one-year wonder, certainly represented a heaping helping of lagniappe ladled out by Panthers management. No matter where one sides in the debate, though, the contract inarguably was aimed at providing security for both parties to the extension.

        Good news, Carolina management hopes, for a franchise now suddenly resurrected and seeking to sustain newfound success and to create stability. And absolutely great news for an itinerant quarterback whose league resume included just two regular-season starts before 2003.

        But bad news -- very bad news, in fact, it says here -- for signal-callers such as Tim Couch, Kurt Warner and Kordell Stewart. How do we draw a correlation between Delhomme's contract and the fortunes of those veteran quarterbacks?

        Because players like Couch have recently been forced into a kind of wait-until-next-year mindset, one in which they sign short-term deals in the hopes of finding a far more appealing employment market next March, when they will be free agents and perhaps have a chance to pursue a starting job. And contracts like the one Delhomme signed, in the big picture, mean there aren't going to be as many vacant starting spots in the NFL as some observers suggest there might be.

        It is, to be sure, one of the NFL's most notable dichotomies. Everyone focuses closely on the movement of quarterbacks in the league every spring, and this year was no different, as 19 quarterbacks had switched franchises at last count. But in a league where the best-kept secret appears to be the number of teams that have cemented their starters in place over the last few years, many of them with deals of astonishing length, few quarterbacks who changed addresses actually upgraded their status.

        Here's a fact-and-fiction proposition: It's a fact that the 32 quarterbacks projected to be starters in 2004 have an average of 4.4 more seasons remaining on their current contracts, meaning they are locked in through 2007. So it is fiction to assume that a slew of No. 1 spots will become available next spring, or even the offseason after that.

        The late-blooming Delhomme is the latest beneficiary of a trend in which teams have sought to reverse the quarterback carousel and put a stop to the calliope tune that annually accompanies...
        -06-18-2004, 02:40 PM
      • DJRamFan
        Price tags for top coaches reaching stratosphere
        by DJRamFan
        Jan. 25, 2005
        By Dennis Dodd
        SportsLine.com Senior Writer
        Tell Dennis your opinion!


        Good news for all of us mere mortals worried about next month's mortgage payment ...

        The $3 million per year threshold for top college football coaches is about to be crossed. Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione admitted at the Orange Bowl that Bob Stoops would have almost reached that mark had the Sooners won the national championship.


        Bob Stoops isn't having much trouble feeding his family. (Getty Images)
        Stoops would have made approximately $2.66 million with the addition of incentive bonuses with an Oklahoma win. The Sooners got blown out, but the point is that $3 million per year isn't far away. Currently, there are at least nine I-A coaches making more than $2 million per year. An estimated 35 make at least $1 million.

        Nick Saban left LSU making an average of $2.6 million per year. Either Texas' Mack Brown (new 10-year, $26 million contract) or Stoops is believed to be the game's highest-paid coach. Stoops made approximately $2.51 million in 2004 after incentives.

        This at a time when NCAA president Myles Brand is preaching financial restraint. The problem is any talk of financial reform is hit by double roadblocks. The NCAA is limited legally by what it can do to curb spending. Second, more and more athletic departments have become separate "corporations" responsible for their own budget and profit.

        Try telling any corporation it has to limit salaries and expenditures in a competitive market. The hamster long ago hit the treadmill. You've got to win to keep producing revenue. In order to win, you've got to pay top dollar to coaches.

        "The economic model for college athletics has to be one of the worst on record ..." said Castiglione. "None of us like it but it's part of the (landscape). Let's face it, we are the NCAA. If we don't like it, we're the ones responsible for coming up with a different plan. We have to quit complaining about this model and give ourselves a chance to survive."

        That comes from an administrator at the top of his game. Castiglione helped lead a $100 million capital campaign that improved Oklahoma's facilities. But a lot of that money came from the momentum generated by the 2000 national championship and subsequent Big 12 titles and championship games.

        Even then, there's always another school around the corner willing to do more.

        "Because of the antitrust laws, the NCAA is very constrained in the way it can actually limit the way of expenditures," said Robert Hemenway, the Kansas chancellor and chairman of the NCAA board of directors.

        It has only been 10 years since Florida's Steve Spurrier was the first to break the $1 million (per season) barrier. It was 23...
        -01-27-2005, 02:23 PM
      • Nick
        Tomlinson confirms six-year, $60 million deal
        by Nick
        Tomlinson confirms six-year, $60 million deal
        By Jim Trotter
        STAFF WRITER

        August 13, 2004

        CARSON – Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson confirmed yesterday that he has reached an agreement in principle on a six-year contract extension that could bring him $60 million, including $21 million in guarantees.

        The details of the pact, which will make Tomlinson the highest-paid running back in NFL history, still were being finalized yesterday, but team officials and Tomlinson said they hope to have everything done before tomorrow's exhibition opener against the Indianapolis Colts in Qualcomm Stadium.

        "I feel good," Tomlinson said. "Obviously it's very pleasing to me that we have come to an agreement. It means a lot to a lot of people around here, to myself and hopefully to the San Diego Chargers out in the public.

        "I think it sends (a message) that if you're the guy who has really done the right thing, has really played your heart out and given your all, the Chargers will take care of you. It's a proven fact, because they have taken care of me."

        Tomlinson's new deal, which will run through the 2011 season, will be the richest for an NFL running back in not only total dollars, but also guaranteed money. The previous high in total dollars belonged to former Denver Bronco Terrell Davis, who failed to see all of the money after sustaining a career-ending knee injury; and the previous high for guaranteed money was $17 million, set earlier this year when Clinton Portis signed a new contract with Washington.

        Tomlinson, who considers himself the best running back in the league, said it's only fitting that he would have the No. 1 contract among ball carriers. But he said the agreement is about more than money.

        "It's (about) the respect, the loyalty that's seldom (seen) in sports today," he said. "What more could I say about that?"

        The agreement could be the first step in changing the perception that some players and fans have of the organization. Negotiations with previous front-line players such as Junior Seau, Rodney Harrison and Natrone Means were acrimonious at best, but Tomlinson's talks went so smoothly that the deal was done in a matter of weeks – with two years remaining on his existing contract.

        That reality didn't go unnoticed in the locker room.

        "I think it's big for the organization to step up to the plate and reward a guy of that magnitude in that way," fullback Lorenzo Neal said. "LT is a guy who works hard and now he's not going to have to worry about the finances. He can exhale. I think it shows guys know that, hey, this organization is making changes, is headed in the right direction, is showing that we're committed financially. That means a lot to LT.

        "No doubt, a lot of guys...
        -08-14-2004, 01:30 PM
      • Nick
        Atogwe's contract is really only one-year, $4.1 million deal
        by Nick
        Atogwe's contract is really only one-year, $4.1 million deal
        Five-year deal likely will be voided well before entire $32 million is due
        By Howard Balzer
        Tuesday, July 6, 2010

        When is a $32 million contract not a $32 million contract? In the case of Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, it occurs when the final four years of his five-year deal can void after this season, and when the contract includes potential compensation of $11.5 million in 2011 if the void doesn’t occur.

        In essence, the contract Atogwe signed two weeks ago is a one-year, $4.1 million deal with all the money now guaranteed this year. However, there are no other known guarantees included in the contract.

        Broken down year-by-year, the total value of the contract is $32.1 million. That figure does not include a $500,000 bonus for making the Pro Bowl in any of the five years, but it can be earned only once. The $32.1 million total also doesn’t include up to $600,000 in yearly escalators, the triggers of which are not known.

        This year, Atogwe will be paid $2.1 million in guaranteed salary, and he received a roster bonus of $2 million on July 1. After this season is where things get interesting.

        The bottom line is that the remainder of the contract will likely void one day after the Feb. 6 Super Bowl, or he will be released later in the month before an $8 million roster bonus is due. If he were paid that roster bonus, then an additional $3.5 million in salary becomes guaranteed if he’s on the roster on the 60th day of the league year, which would be at the beginning of May.

        The final three years of the contract include base salaries of $5.5 million in 2012 and 2013. In 2014, a $500,000 roster bonus is due on the third day of the league year, followed by $5 million in salary.

        It is not known what triggers the void of the final four years of the contract; whether it is automatic or whether the Rams and/or Atogwe have the option to void. There would be no reason for Atogwe to void the deal because that would give the Rams the ability to place a franchise tag on him unless that is prohibited within the terms of the contract. From his standpoint, it would be better to wait and see if the Rams pay him the roster bonus. If they don’t, he becomes a free agent.

        Were the Rams to void the deal, they could franchise him while still trying to negotiate a longer-term contract. That would be considered the prudent action from the Rams’ side, especially considering the possibility of a lockout. In any event, it appears highly unlikely that Atogwe will play for the Rams in 2011 under terms of the current contract.

        The details of the deal also indicate the lack of significant interest from other teams after he became a free agent on June 2.

        Atogwe spoke to that during a June 23 conference call after he agreed to terms when he was asked what...
        -07-06-2010, 03:32 PM
      Working...
      X