Barry Bonds: Master Manipulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry Bonds: Master Manipulator

Who caught Bonds' interview today where he talked about how "tired" he was and how he is going to take time off. He said things like "you [the media] wanted to bring me down and now you have."

At first glance, this might warrant a bit of sympathy. But.. consider the circumstances.

Is it a coincidence that this is happening just as the steroid issue has become the big issue in baseball? Maybe the better question is... is it cynical to presume that Bonds is just trying to paint himself as a victim to avoid additional criticism?

I was almost sucked to this, until I noticed something during the interview. There was a teen-age boy sitting next to Bonds during the interview, who I presume is Bonds' son. And what was he wearing? A Barry Sanders jersey.

What is Barry Sanders famous for? Retiring suddenly and giving up a shot at a major sports record...

Coincidence? I think not.

Bonds is a master manipulator.

But I'm not buying it.

Go away... come back...

At this point, I don't care, Barry. I'm done paying attention to your nonsense.

Re: Barry Bonds: Master Manipulator

Sorry AV not buying it.I know Bonds has to be exasperated by the media and all their slants.When the Guy wants to be left alone leave him alone,the Media just cant leave him alone.I know hes a big star,but damn people need some piece.Its probably turned his family and friends into nervous wreaks,always being hounded just for some reporters scoop just to get a pat on the back from his boss.I really feel for these guys.I dont think they should use steroids I think its wrong,but there is so much pressure to perform its unbelievable.I give him a pass,and I dont like Jose Canseco,Hes out of the game and hes trying to get back in the spotlight because he craves it so much he'll take down anybody.The media can ruin you and they dont care,they just want awards.

Comment

Who's fault is it that the media has slanted everything Bonds says? Bonds hasn't been exactly forthcoming, ever, with the media. He never wants to talk to anybody or do anything so this is what you get. I'm not saying everyone needs to talk to the media, but if you get to where you hate everything and everybody, don't be shocked at the results.

Comment

Its the medias fault.
        Bonds wasnt like that about 5 years ago, but I saw it coming.Saw what they were doing to Maguire.But they loved Sammy sosa until they found cork in his bat.the media paints a picture of you,and I think Bonds is being what hes accused of.Steroids has been around for a long time,but now its a big deal with Canseco coming out with it.Hell the 70s Steelers and Raiders,and probably the 72 Dolfins were pumped up on the s...but damn break a holy record and here comes the a$$ wholes.gotta bring them down hard make them the bad guys,and I'm sick of it.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• txramsfan
          Barry Bonds
          by txramsfan
          In my humble opinion, I believe Barry Bonds is underrated as a baseball player. Some of you are going to look at this and say, "Tx, BB underrated? He is always on the news?" Yea, but not always focused on baseball. This guy has one of the best gloves in the game, runs the bases well, and who has a better eye in baseball than Barry currently? Not to mention, FIVE HR's to start the season in the first four games.

Last year was no fluke, Barry has been proving how good he is his entire career. His one major flaw: Has NEVER had a decent postseason.
          -04-06-2002, 04:52 AM
        • Bruce=GOAT
          Hulk Hogan: I thank God I'm alive
          by Bruce=GOAT
          http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...351002,00.html

WWE wrestling news The LilsBoys' Over The Top Rope

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
          Hogan: I thank God I'm alive

By SIMON ROTHSTEIN of THE LILSBOYS
          August 04, 2007

WRESTLING legend Hulk Hogan has lashed out at the industry which made him a megastar.

And he has demanded an end to the decades-long cover-up of steroid abuse in the sport.

Hogan, 54, took the muscle-enhancing drugs almost daily for 16 years during his career and says he can spot a user a mile off.

With more than 100 grapplers dying before the age of 50 in the last decade, he is begging others to face up to the crisis.

The Sun has been leading an anti-steroid abuse campaign since wrestler Chris Benoit murdered his wife and seven-year-old son before committing suicide in June.

A handful of former stars have already spoken out and prompted US politicians to start investigating the industry.

But many in the WWE, the world's biggest fight franchise, deny there is a problem and have blasted their ex-colleagues as bitter failures who haven't wrestled in years.

They cannot same the same about Hogan, wrestling's equivalent of Pele or Muhammad Ali who was fighting for them just 12 months ago.

In an exclusive Sun interview, he said: "Are steroids a problem in wrestling? Oh God yeah. They have always been a part of the business. It's prevalent.

"But there's not some big mystery to it. Just open your eyes and it's there. You can look at a wrestler and pretty much tell.

"They will be above their weight range, with these big veins. My body weight is around 285lb, depending on how much junk I eat. Even if I was 25 and clean, I could probably only carry 300lb.

"Yet when I was wrestling I weighed anywhere between 320 and 340lb, because my body was full of water weight.

"My face was puffy, my arms were so bulky I couldn't touch my shoulders. You could take one look at me and know I was on something.

"Steroids have been around for ever in other sports too, but if we have to pick on somebody now then let's pick on wrestling.

"I'm glad the business is in the spotlight because they're probably the only ones smart enough, after being able to dodge it for so long, to know how to fix it."

The Hulkster added: "I remember up until the early 1990s any wrestler could walk into a doctor and they'd write you a prescription for steroids.

"Then there was a huge trial where WWE boss Vince McMahon was unfairly accused and rightly acquitted of distributing the drugs to his workers.

"This ushered in the era of wrestlers playing 'hide and seek'.
          -08-05-2007, 02:28 AM
        • laram0
          I'm so sick of the attitudes and opinions
          by laram0
          While listening to Sirius Satellite radio (NFL TALK) last night and again this morning, I'm about ready to snap!

Last night Sheine (sp?) and Wilcotts were blowing this whole Patriots scandal off. Basically saying it's not a big deal let's apply the penalty/penalties and move. This morning Bob Papa and Randy Cross (Pro Patriot by the way) were doing the same thing. Trying to say that Eric Mangini Headcoach of the JETS was using this issue as a ploy to take the attention off of his struggling team. YEAH RIGHT!!

Well they had a live interview via the telephone this morning with Bengals Headcoach Marvin Lewis. They finally got around to the Patriot subject fully expecting to hear Marvin Lewis brush it off like everyone else has been.

Marvin Lewis responded by saying and he admitted it was a bit of a cop out that this issue will be handled by the NFL Commissioner. But and this is a big but, I will say that there are a few sacred rules that nobody in the NFL tinkers with and this is one of them.

Major props to Marvin Lewis in my mind. Finally someone stepped up to the plate and admitted that this was a very serious issue.

IMHO it's cheating no matter how you slice it, no matter how it's accomplished or how the tapes are used. Bill Belchicks' integrity is in question here big time!!!
          -09-13-2007, 06:54 AM
        • RamWraith
          NFL's cold-hearted stance regarding its vets is deplorable
          by RamWraith
          By Bryan Burwell
          ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
          02/02/2007

MIAMI This is the darkest side of America's greatest sports fantasy. It's Super Bowl Week in the belly of the National Football League's massive publicity machine radio row at the Super Bowl media center and there are countless former players slowly milling around the room from one radio interview to the next.

They used to move smoothly across the playing field. They used to run fast and jump high. Now they shuffle and limp with stiff-legged gaits.

Underneath pant legs and long sleeves are grotesque surgical scars. Their fingers are contorted like spiny tree branches; some of them amble along with canes. If you did not know any better, you would think they were disabled war veterans, not former pro football players.

Keith Sims was a three-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman who played 11 years in the NFL, mostly with the Miami Dolphins. I have not seen him in several years. The first time I met him 16 years ago, he was a healthy 24-year-old rookie. Today, he's a 40-year-old man who can't stand on his feet for longer than 20 or 30 minutes.

"I took four Advil this morning, and that ought to last me until noon," Sims told me Thursday. "I'll take four more by then and try to ice down my knees."

He pointed to the jagged scar that ran down the back of his left leg. Achilles tendon operation. He showed me his disfigured fingers that had been dislocated, jammed and surgically fused so often that he practically lost count on the wear and tear.

"But I'm one of the lucky ones," Sims said. "I own a Dunkin' Donuts franchise. I can pay my own medical. But I know a lot of older veterans who aren't as lucky as me."

This is not a part of our childhood football fantasy. We dreamed of racing into those sold-out football coliseums like glorious warriors. We did not dream of limping out of them like crippled victims or ruining our kidneys with too many pain killers.

As great and profitable as business has been for the NFL owners and the current players salaries are higher than ever; profits are beyond mind-boggling there doesn't seem to be any interest by the league or the players' association to put aside enough of that money to adequately assist former players whose disability coverage and pensions are woefully inadequate.

Former St. Louis football Cardinal Conrad Dobler is one of those men. Dobler retired in 1981 and has undergone 11 football-related surgeries since then. In 1994, he tried to use funds from his NFL disability insurance by applying to the NFL retirement plan. What followed was a tangled, frustrating roadblock of bureaucratic madness.

According to an interview with HBO's "Real Sports," Dobler said his doctors believed he had an "impairment of 90 percent" in...
          -02-03-2007, 05:05 AM
        • Rambos
          Quotable
          by Rambos
          Quotable: “It seems like everyone is making it a focal point,” Jackson said. “Two years ago, when I was drafted, that’s what the plan was. We knew that eventually the team was going to be more geared and built around me and now it seems like it has finally come to the forefront.”

It's hard for me to like this guy. He is TO like, if he has a big year will he get even a bigger head?
          -06-21-2006, 09:21 AM
        Working...
        X