Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Argonaut Joe Theismann calls Williams 'disgrace to game'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2463035

Ricky Williams will continue to play professional football with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts while he is suspended for one year by the NFL, and one high-profile ex-Argonaut isn't thrilled by the move.

Former quarterback Joe Theismann, who began his professional career with the Argonauts and later went on to star in the NFL with the Redskins, said he was "embarrassed right now to be a Toronto Argonaut" in an interview with ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd.

"I don't ever want to be mentioned in the same breath as Ricky Williams as a football player. He's a disgrace to the game. The man doesn't deserve to play football. He should go on with his life and treat his drug addictions or go do whatever he wants to do. He's been suspended from the National Football League on multiple occasions. Doesn't anybody have any class anywhere? For gosh sakes, let the kid go do what he wants to do. He doesn't want to play football," Theismann, who is part of ESPN's Monday Night Football announcing crew, said.

Williams was suspended by the NFL for the entire 2006 season following a fourth positive drug test. But the Dolphins gave him permission to play this year in the CFL, and he signed with Toronto on Sunday.

Theismann, while calling Williams a "good kid" said he believes that the running back has had too many chances.

"We have rules in the National Football League. It's real simple. Don't do drugs and you can play. It's a privilege to be able to play professional football. It's not some rite of passage. He's insulted the Miami Dolphins after they took him back and gave him a chance to play. Now he insults the intelligence of everybody that thinks that doing drugs is OK. To me, it's the wrong message to send to kids. It's the wrong thing to be doing, and the Toronto Argonauts have embarrassed themselves as an organization signing him," Theismann said.

Toronto has won the Grey Cup -- the CFL championship -- 15 times, most recently in 2004. The Argonauts were 11-7 last season.

Re: Ex-Argonaut Joe Theismann calls Williams 'disgrace to game'

I for one think he is right and the drug policy isn't tough enough.

Comment

The issue isn't so much whether marijuana ought to be allowed, but whether it is. If your company has a drug policy and you agree to abide by it, it doesn't matter whether it's a policy you agree with. By the same token, though, if the average joe failed a couple drug tests he wouldn't be forbidden to work for any other company in the industry. I don't see anything wrong with letting him join the Argonauts.

Besides, the NFL forced him to come back. They're even making him pay back bonuses the Saints gave him. He really got the shaft on that. He had no choice but to come back. I do agree with Theisman on one thing, though. The NFL should just let him go. Hand him his paycheck, call the debt even, and let him go practice holistic medicine or whatever.

Comment

Well, I'll agree with you on that. Marijuana isn't going to make anybody a better football player, and alcohol and tobacco both are probably as bad or worse for a person's health. I believe it's considered habit-forming but not physically addictive. Just like any habit, it can be taken to excess or it can be controlled, and most if not all side effects are extremely short-term.

Comment

It's amazing that the Dolphins continually allow him to be a disruption and a distraction. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Rams, regardless of what his abilities are.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenfleece
            The issue isn't so much whether marijuana ought to be allowed, but whether it is. If your company has a drug policy and you agree to abide by it, it doesn't matter whether it's a policy you agree with. By the same token, though, if the average joe failed a couple drug tests he wouldn't be forbidden to work for any other company in the industry. I don't see anything wrong with letting him join the Argonauts.

Besides, the NFL forced him to come back. They're even making him pay back bonuses the Saints gave him. He really got the shaft on that. He had no choice but to come back. I do agree with Theisman on one thing, though. The NFL should just let him go. Hand him his paycheck, call the debt even, and let him go practice holistic medicine or whatever.
            its not even that dude, its just because the NFL thinks that ya know he's a known player, and a good player at that, and they can get some sales from jerseys for the next season he'll be playing. It all comes down to money, no matter what, MONEY TALKS. Thats just how the world goes around, but I agree with Theissman simply for the rules. I HATE when people disobey, especially when it is infact a priviledge to play pro ball. It is a disrespect to everyone regarding the NFL...
            Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

I don't think Ricky has the passion to play football. He really didn't here at UT, he was on a baseball scholarship like Cedric Benson was.

I was wrong earlier when I thought he paid his loan back to the Dolphins, he still owes money according to Bucky on AM 1300 the Zone here in Austin. Bucky Geyboldt was the RB coach here at UT when Ricky was here and is adamant about two things: 1. He's the most talented RB he's ever seen 2. Ricky Williams could care less about football.

Comment

1. Thiesmann needs to keep is mouth shut, and comment on what he knows about.

2. Ricky wasn't suspended for using Weed

3. For all we know he could have been suspended for taking cold medicine. If you didn't know it contains banned substances in it's ingredients. In fact most over the counter drugs do.

4. It could have been an herbal supplement, No one knows cause they don't release that information, to us.

I know cause I was once a college athlete. If Ricky didn't want to play football, and was lazy trust me he wouldn't be playing for the Argo's. He wouldn't have even come back to play for the Dolphins. It's funny to me how the media spins something and people side with the media's side without knowing any of the facts. Now personally I'm not a Ricky Williams fan. But if anybody listened to any of his interviews after he came back from his 1 year suspension. He said he no longer uses mind alltering drugs.

Also if you didn't know most football players are juicing or taking some sort of enhancement drugs. You have to. These guys are healing at a rapid pace. Hence the juice. You have to, to be able to compete and heal at the rate these athletes do. Why do you think so many players are blowing out their knees?

Anyway I'm new to this forum but have been a rams fan since they were in L.A. So I'm an OG. Sorry this had to be my first post, but I hate to see athletes get dogged by the media and it's personalities. Like I said Joe should keep his mouth shut, and discuss what he knows.

Comment

Cool post 3000, keep bringing your input.

Comment

Welcome jjigga.

The problem with Ricky Williams is not what he does to get suspended, but that he gets suspended on a regular basis, for whatever rules violations. If he was only affecting himself, that would be one thing, but he has a pattern of making commitments to his team, his teammates and his coaches, then lapsing into irresponsible behavior and failing to live up to those commitments. We'll see what happens in Canada.

Comment

mike, I agree that what he does effects not only him but the entire Dolphin organization. That's why they drafted Ronnie Brown last season in the first round. However, the dollar amounts associated with this is so high (8 million I believe), that I feel the Dolphins should just cut bait and get on with their season. Let Ricky go, he isn't going to change. Listening to the people on sports talk radio here that know the guy, they are insistent that he isn't going to change. He doesn't really like football, he's just going through the motions because he's broke.

Comment

It is sometimes very hard to understand the whole situation. It's all on the Dolphins though, obviously they feel Ricky is worth the trouble and the risk.

Comment

If Ricky is into Smoking pot rather than playing football, screw him. I'll watch more games because he's exciting to see especially in a league inferior to the NFL. But honestly now, rules are put up for a reason. The Dolphins are fine without him the Argos are fine without him, football is much better off without him.

Comment

Williams' absence for whatever reason, isn't going to bring the NFL to a screeching halt. There are people past and present, associated with the NFL who have done and are doing, far worse than Ricky.

To call him a disgrace to the game of football, is one very average 'Colour' commentator with taste for wasted hyperbole, making some noise for himself in the offseason.

Williams knows that smoking pot will get him canned from the NFL, and whilst Pot doesn't rank very high on my personal list of misdemeanours (I'm not starting a debate on that either), if he continues to do so it's fairly stupid of him, no more than that.

Lets not get this situation, or Williams himself out of proportion by dramatically labelling him a 'disgrace'.

Comment

As a guy living in Toronto, I have no clue why we even signed Ricky Williams. He failed the drug test four times...he's had more than a second chance, so why take a chance on him? I think this is just a way to sell more tickets for the Argos by getting a big name in Williams.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ZigZagRam
                                SHOCKING: Ricky Williams Retires!
                                by ZigZagRam
                                Pre-camp decision stuns Dolphins

ESPN.com news services
                                Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has told the team he plans to retire after just five NFL seasons, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site early Sunday morning.

"He wants to get on with his life, wants to move on to bigger and better things," Herald reporter and ESPN commentator Dan Le Betard told SportsCenter.

According to the Herald's report, Williams wants to travel the world and is tired of the demands and restraints of a professional football career.

"I just don't want to be in this business anymore," Williams told the paper. "I was never strong enough to not play football, but I'm strong enough now. I've considered everything about this. Everyone has thrown every possible scenario at me about why I shouldn't do this, but they're in denial. I'm happy with my decision.

"I'm finally free. I can't remember ever being this happy."

According to Le Batard, the Dolphins are stunned by the news and members of the organization are still trying to talk Williams out of his decision, one the Herald says should be finalized this week when Williams faxes his retirement papers to the league.

Williams was scheduled to make $3.7 million in each of the 2004 and '05 seasons, and $11.25 million in 2006, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported.

Last season, Williams rushed for 1,372 yards on 392 carries, averaging 3.5 yards. He has rushed for 1,000 or more yards in four of his five NFL seasons with the New Orleans Saints and the Dolphins, tallying 6,354 for his career. Williams also had 1,806 receiving yards on 229 catches.

Williams reportedly tested positive for marijuana on Dec. 10, 2003, and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy for the second time.

The Saints traded virtually their 1999 entire draft to move up to No. 5 overall to take Williams, a Heisman Trophy winner at the University of Texas.
                                -07-24-2004, 11:30 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Players React With Disgust To Gregg Williams Ordering Saints To Target *****
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Players react with disgust to Gregg Williams ordering Saints to target *****' heads, knees

BY Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN
                                April 6, 2012

In many ways, the "kill the head" speech by former New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams sounds like typical pregame, fire-up-the-troops rhetoric, but former and current players say there are several instances where the now-suspended coach crossed the line.

The speech has added new fire to an already scalding scandal in which the NFL alleges that the Saints administered a bounty program aimed at taking out opposing players.

The day before the Saints' January 14 playoff clash with the San Francisco *****, Williams started his speech by instructing his team to never apologize for how they play. No big deal.

Williams goes on to say, "Kill the head, the body will die," a twist on the frequent tutelage of boxer "Smokin'" Joe Frazier. It sounds nefarious given the recent attention given to concussions in football, but it could probably be written off as normal locker room bravado.

Except, and this is a big except, Williams starts naming players by name, and what's more, he starts naming anatomy: tight end Vernon Davis' ankle, running back Frank Gore's head, quarterback Alex Smith's chin and wide receiver Michael Crabtree's "outside ACL."

Former Detroit Lions cornerback Lamar Campbell, who retired in 2004, told the Detroit Free Press that Williams' speech began like many that Campbell heard during his playing days. Listening to it made him reminisce at first.

“You hear, ‘Knock the (expletive) out of him,’ and, ‘Kick his ass,’ and I love, ‘They’re going to be shocked with our contact, they’re going to be shocked with our speed, they’re going to be shocked with the way we strip,’ ” Campbell said Thursday. “I felt nostalgic reading it and then I get to a line that says, ‘Let’s see how many times we can bull rush and get that outside ACL,’ and it’s like, hold up. You had me and then, ‘Go get this guy’s ACL?’ Are you serious?”

Perhaps most disturbingly, Gregg Williams demands a big hit on kick returner Kyle Williams because of a recent concussion, something the New York Giants' Jacquian Williams and Devin Thomas caught heat for the following week when they said the same thing.

"We’ve got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore's head," Gregg Williams said on the tape. "We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways."

This could simply mean Williams wants his defense in the backfield so quickly that Gore has trouble getting upfield, that he wants Gore running east and west rather than north and south. Again, probably pretty typical of the instructions that defensive coordinators give to their men.

Even Williams' invocation...
                                -04-07-2012, 08:58 AM
                              • DJRamFan
                                USC still unsure of WR Williams' status
                                by DJRamFan
                                Aug. 24, 2004
                                By Dennis Dodd
                                SportsLine.com Senior Writer
                                Tell Dennis your opinion!

It's looking less likely that USC receiver Mike Williams will play in Saturday's season opener against Virginia Tech.

Advertisement

Williams' eligibility status remained up in the air Tuesday, four days before the season begins. He is attempting to regain his amateur status after declaring for the NFL draft, hiring an agent and accepting money from his representative.

Coach of the No. 1 Trojans, an optimistic Pete Carroll, said on Tuesday there is a "possibility" that Williams could still play in the opener. However, time is running out.

USC faxed what is thought the be the final documents needed by the NCAA regarding Williams on Tuesday. The school now awaits the NCAA's decision.

A school source considered Williams' chance at reinstatement at "50-50 at best."

"It's been so frustrating of late that things have not been able to culminate to an end," Carroll said. "We'll just sit on it and see what happens."

With him, USC gets another Heisman Trophy candidate (quarterback Matt Leinart already is considered the favorite) added to its already powerful lineup. Without him, the Trojans will have to move on with a largely inexperienced, but talented, set of receivers.

USC already will be missing starting tailback Hershel Dennis, who is indefinitely suspended for a violation of team rules.

While there is no "drop dead" date for Williams to be able play this week, the team leaves for the Washington D.C. area on Thursday. Presumably, Williams could hop on a flight as late as Friday, if he is cleared.

"The NCAA has been so methodical about this," Carroll said. "I'm not surprised it's gone this long, just by the feel of it."

Williams has been held out of practice the past two weeks as USC put in the game plan for Virginia Tech. Most likely, there are three possible outcomes to his future:

He could be declared permanently ineligible by the NCAA;
                                He could be reinstated by the NCAA;
                                He could be reinstated by the NCAA after being suspended for one or more games.
                                The 6-foot-5, 230-pound rising junior has been one of the most dominant receivers in the country the past two years. The Tampa, Fla., product caught 95 passes for 1,314 yards and 16 touchdowns last year in helping lead the Trojans to a co-national championship. He was projected as a first-round choice after declaring for the draft.

Advertisement

Williams declared for the NFL draft after Maurice Clarett's legal challenge briefly opened the door to players less than three years out of high school. The NFL retained its three-year rule because...
                                -08-25-2004, 09:04 AM
                              • MauiRam
                                Opinion: Gregg Williams should get a second chance ..
                                by MauiRam
                                From The Redzone:

4/20/2012

Now that disgraced defensive coordinator is looking into avenues for reinstatement to the NFL, many voices have called for his suspension to be extended to a lifetime ban and some pundits even look at his actions as criminal. LZ Granderson, senior writer for ESPN the Magazine, disagrees and feels that Williams should not have to wait longer than a year given the precedent set by transgressions we all can agree are worse than bounties.

For example, in March 2009 Donte' Stallworth got drunk, got in his car and hit a pedestrian, killing him. He was convicted of manslaughter and was suspended by the league … but not for long. He was reinstated after missing a season and signed with the Ravens. He has a lifetime suspension of his Florida driver's license but in March he signed as a free agent with the New England Patriots.

Or look at Houston's Brian Cushing, who was named the 2009 defensive rookie of the year. He was busted for having a performance-enhancement drug in his system and was suspended … but not for long. Four games is all that getting caught cheating cost him, and he kept the award.

What about Michael Vick? Killing dogs and going to prison. Now he is the starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles.

In light of these examples, why in the world would anyone think Williams will never work in the NFL again? That DUI manslaughter can be forgiven but for some reason bounties are the great unforgivable sin?

The audio of Williams is disturbing but not entirely surprising. Sometimes guys in the pile at the end of plays will spit, bite, pull, kick, knee, elbow … and that's at the high school level. The nickname for 2005 defensive rookie player of the year Shawne Merriman is "Lights Out." It is a declaration of intent to injure, and efforts to suggest otherwise are just feeble attempts to justify our love for something that is fairly barbaric.

Williams didn't invent boundaries and he didn't issue them in empty rooms to hostile audiences. As one of his former players reportedly said, "Gregg's not the only one who has done stuff like this, but he's the one who got caught."

Williams does not need sensitivity training. He has already apologized and did not challenge his suspension, unlike his boss Sean Payton. Let him sit for a year and come back at the same time as Payton, who didn't start the bounty program but knew all about it.

If there's room in the league for players who get 'roided up before they go out to try to destroy each other, if there's room for players arrested for domestic assault multiple times, if there's room for a guy who got drunk and ran somebody over, I think there's room for a defensive coordinator who reportedly put $15,000 on Brad Johnson's head. Especially since no one in that room stood up and said "Coach, this is w...
                                -04-21-2012, 12:23 PM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Williams faced suspension for third failed test for pot
                                by DJRamFan
                                July 29, 2004
                                SportsLine.com wire reports

MIAMI -- Retired Dolphins running back Ricky Williams said he failed a third drug test for marijuana use, which would cost him a four-game suspension if he decides to return to the NFL, The Miami Herald reported on its website Thursday.

Advertisement

Williams told the newspaper marijuana played a larger role in his retirement than he indicated when he walked away after just five pro seasons. He said he learned of the failed test and possible suspension days before telling coach Dave Wannstedt last week he was through playing.

Williams said, however, there were "a hundred reasons" for his retirement and his desire to continue smoking marijuana was only one of them.

"I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test," he told the Herald. "I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football."

Dolphins spokesman Neal Gulkis and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined comment Thursday when reached by The Associated Press.

Williams told the newspaper he is not addicted to marijuana.

In May, three South Florida newspapers quoted unidentified sources saying Williams tested positive for marijuana and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the substance-abuse policy for the second time since joining the Dolphins in 2002.

Even if Miami fans get their wish of a return, Ricky Williams would likely face a four-game suspension.(AP)
                                He told the Herald for Thursday's story he already decided to quit football before that second positive test. He appealed that fine, but received word last week his appeal had been denied, the Herald reported.

While the appeal was pending, Williams said, he continued smoking marijuana during a trip to Europe and failed a third test upon his return.

He said he had been using a masking agent to cleanse his system while being randomly tested for two seasons, but he didn't do that before the last test.

Williams first failed a drug test soon after arriving in Miami in 2002, the Herald reported. He spent much of his two seasons with the Dolphins in the league's drug program, seeing a therapist weekly and taking eight to 10 random urine tests a month, the story said.

Williams suffers from social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for the anti-depressant Paxil. He said marijuana helped him once he had to stop using Paxil because it didn't agree with his diet.

Williams played three seasons for New Orleans but didn't blossom until he was dealt to the Dolphins in 2002 for two first-round draft picks.

At times, Miami's biggest trade since 1970 looked like a steal. Williams led the NFL in 2002 with 1,853 yards rushing and broke nine team records. Last season he ran for 1,372 yards...
                                -07-29-2004, 09:24 AM
                              Working...
                              X