X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowman Scramble a Huge Success

Snowman Scramble a Huge Success
    Thursday, June 1, 2006

As a former player and career-long representative of the Rams, Jack Snow touched the lives of many people. Just how many people didn’t become clear until his premature passing in January of this year.

In honor of Snow, the Rams hosted the Snowman Scramble on May 22 at Fox Run Golf Club with proceeds going to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and the National Football Foundation's Scholarship Fund in his memory. JDRF was close to Snow's heart because it afflicts his 8-year old grandson Jake Reed Peters, who was diagnosed with Type I diabetes when he was 20 months.

On a perfect day at the golf course, 160 golfers (four golfers plus a celebrity per team) divided up and hit the links to honor Snow. Included among the celebrities were Rams quarterback Marc Bulger, coach Scott Linehan and receiver Kevin Curtis.

By the end of the day, with more than 200 of Jack’s associates and friends in attendance, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and the St. Louis Rams Foundation was able to raise $175,000. Greg Slack, one of Jack’s closest friends, called the tournament one of the best he has participated in. “Of all the tournaments I've played in over the years with Jack, not a single one, let me repeat, not a single one was held with more class and fun than this tournament,” Slack said. “I can’t thank you enough for honoring Jack and his family with the best tournament ever and, at the same time, helping his favorite foundations.”

Jack’s two daughters, Stephanie and Michelle, and his grandson Jake, were there to meet and greet the golfer's, along with Rams marketing executive Pam Benoist, Director of the tournament, and many volunteers.

The Edward Jones team claimed the tournament win led by Rams receiver Dane Looker. Edward Jones Investments was the Title Sponsor of the Snowman Scramble.

Re: Snowman Scramble a Huge Success

Good Job everyone! You will be remembered Jack Snow!

how many players were there? 3? Bulger and Curtis and Looker?
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -06-01-2006, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I don't know if this was a threat already, but I am not a baseball fan at all, and living in NY I use to care a little bit for the red sox (you know, rivarly and stuff) but then I realized that Jack's son is in their roster, and let me tell you, after that day, a couple of weeks ago, I am red sox biggest fan!!!

Comment

his son, I think is named T.J. Snow and he changed his number to 84 to honor his dad before the season started

Comment

you got that right, and he beat the hell up of the yanquees that night!!

Comment

named T.J. Snow
            J.T. Snow. He is a great LH defensive 1b and a decent hitter.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
              Snowman Scramble a Success
              by RamWraith
              Tuesday, May 23, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
              Senior Writer

Jack Snow would have fit in perfectly at Fox Run Golf Club on Monday morning. After all, there were plenty of golf carts to be found.

And while Snow wasn’t there to sit in his trademark golf cart with his dark shades and California tan, telling jokes and poking fun, it was a day that he would have enjoyed as much as anyone.

Sponsored by Edward Jones, the first Snowman Scramble went off without a hitch Monday morning with a sold-out group of foursomes competing in a scramble followed by a silent auction.

Even after his premature passing, Snow was performing selfless acts. Most of the proceeds from Monday’s tournament went to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, a cause that held a special place in Snow’s heart.

Snow’s grandson Jake has dealt with juvenile diabetes for most of his young life. Although Snow couldn’t be around for Monday’s scramble, there were plenty of other Rams and former Rams out in full force to support his cause and in remembrance of one of the great people to enter the organization.

“I still get choked up just talking about him,” former Ram D’Marco Farr said. “You could talk to him about anything.”

Indeed, there’s little doubt that had Snow been around for this tournament, he would have been working the crowd asonly he could. And though he wasn’t around to play, his rules were still enforced.

Sure, the basic golf etiquette was still in play such as Fox Run’s rule against the backwards hat, but the Snow rules were also in place, rules that were usually made at random.

For instance, the one-putt rule was put into effect. Snow didn’t believe in that small golf annoyance known as the three-putt. So, if a team missed its first putt, no matter the distance, the second putt was always in. That’s why, in addition to his many football records, Snow is also the only golfer never to have a three putt.

That’s one rule that receiver Kevin Curtis had no problem taking to. As a receiver, Curtis was a part of Snow’s special group that he constantly watched like a hawk from his golf cart during practice.

In fact, Snow was a big part of Curtis’ transition from tiny Utah State to backup up All Pros Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt.

“I remember the first few times I went out on the field, I would go out and wonder who he was,” Curtis said. “I didn’t know who he was at first. It was so good to have him around. He was the kind of guy you could joke with him and lighten the mood but at the same time he would teach you a lot about football. There were many times he would take me aside and coach me up a little bit. He really helped with that transition.”

Curtis is no Tiger Woods on the golf course, but he plays in a number of charity events every year. Still, there are so many he has to pick...
              -05-23-2006, 05:07 PM
            • RamWraith
              Remembering Jack Snow--was Wagoner's Mailbag
              by RamWraith
              Tuesday, January 10, 2006

In lieu of a normal mailbag, we will take today to honor Jack Snow with your thoughts and memories of No. 84. We will continue to take these memories throughout the day so keep sending them in. So far, the outpouring of support and love for Mr. Snow has been tremendous. Thanks to everyone who sent a thought or memory no matter how long or short.

Coleman Tokei, Vancouver, BC: I was in ninth grade at Port Colborne High School in 1967 when I fell in love with the horns. The Rams had a QB with the neatest name.....Roman Gabriel, who threw long bombs to this WR "who had never been caught from behind".....Jack Snow. Guess who I was every time we played touch football, eh?

By 12th grade we were all playing High School Football, driving cars and dating girls......BUT we we were still huge NFL fans. Early that year, the 1970 season, Jimmy Calla, our big Italian DT told me he thought he knew where we could get a couple of tickets for the Bills-Rams game (our town was only 20 minutes across the Niagara River from Buffalo), but we'd have to pay "slightly over face value." I was like........"C'mon Jimmy, like let's find these tickets..........like yesterday!!!!!!"

I borrow my mom's 1966 Pontiac Laurentian and Jimmy directs me to this Pool Hall.........(in a bad part of town).

It's 9 AM on a beautiful sunny September Saturday morning. I'm in my normal knock-around weekend wear......... blue jeans, T-shirt and adidas............Jimmy is wearing a sports jacket, dress slacks, and an open neck dark shirt.........plus his hair is combed and he's cleaning the smudges off his perpetually smeared dark rimmed glasses as we park my mom's car behind an old Buick WITH NO WHEELS!!!!

Jimmy says, "When we go in, let me do the talking. I've got the money and you and I can settle up later." Jimmy Calla was a HUGE guy, but very soft spoken. We were in the same Math class a couple of years ago, and we knew each other from football, but the way he took charge right before we went into the Pool Hall kinda floored me. Anyway, we go from bright sunlight into this half darkened, smoke filled room full of guys who all seem to have scars, missing teeth or bandages on their faces. There must be twenty or so guys in the pool hall and when we open the door and walk in.........it's one of those moments like in the movies where everybody stops talking and looks up to see who's coming in.

Suddenly I feel like I'm wearing a pair of lead boots like those old deepsea divers used to ...........and I am moving about their same speed too.......also, I keep getting mental images of an AztecBronze Pontiac Laurentian with no wheels, engulfed in flames. I just look around the room looking for a familiar (yeah, right ) or friendly face.........no luck. Finally, after about ten seconds (which seemed like a lifetime), Jimmy spots...
              -01-10-2006, 02:39 PM
            • RamWraith
              Wagoner/PD on Snow
              by RamWraith
              The Wonderful Mr. Snow
              Monday, January 9, 2006

I am extremely sad about the passing of Jack Snow. With that in mind, this edition of notes will have little to do with football or anything going on with the team. We can get to that later. In the meantime, I’d like to share a little bit of what Jack Snow was like and the type of person he was. First and foremost, my prayers and thoughts go out to his family. Also, I would like to make tomorrow's edition of the mailbag a tribute to Jack Snow. For those of you with a great story to tell about Mr. Snow either as a player, a broadcaster or an encounter somewhere, please send it along and I will post it in the mailbag.

The first time I ever met Jack Snow was in training camp before the 2004 season. I have to admit, it was a little intimidating. Here was this guy who had played 11 seasons for the Rams, appeared on the television show “Bewitched” and was even in the movie Heaven Can Wait. When I introduced myself to him, I made the first mistake that someone who is younger and doesn’t know him can make. I said ‘Nice to meet you, Jack.’ I was promptly informed that I should henceforth refer to him as Mr. Snow. For each time I called him Jack, he would grow continuously irritated with me. Not wanting to get off on the wrong foot with one of the great sources of information about not only the Rams, but also football in general, I made it a point to remember to always address him as Mr. Snow. To some, that might sound like he is being arrogant, but as he told me, he was always taught to respect his elders and I should too. The more I remembered to address him correctly and the more I got to know him, I began to see that Mr. Snow was one of the funniest, most genuine people around. He even told me that there would come a day where I would be able to call him Jack. Of course, he would let me know when that day came. I saw him on multiple occasions stick up for people who couldn’t stick up for themselves. He was always ready with some sort of sarcastic comment or witty retort at a moment’s notice. But at the end of the day, you always knew he was just having fun. If Mr. Snow didn’t make fun of you or have a joke for you, it probably meant he didn’t like you much. Needless to say, I was on the receiving end of a number of those jokes, but I learned a lot about the history of the organization from him even if I refused to root for Notre Dame as he often tried to get me to do.

As the color analyst for the Rams, many criticized him for being a ‘homer’ for the team. But that’s because he was part of the team. A big part. Anyone who devotes that much time and energy to an organization will inherently have a certain amount of loyalty. Being a Ram was who Mr. Snow was. He loved this organization and he loved everything about being a part of the broadcasts. As recently as the weekend of the Houston game on Nov. 27, Mr. Snow seemed to be in good condition. He became...
              -01-10-2006, 04:55 AM
            • mh-i
              More Snow............
              by mh-i
              Snow's spirit will live on
              By Bob Keisser, Sports Columnist

There were three things about Jack Snow that never really changed during his 62 years of life on the planet football: the short length of his hair, the huge smile on his face, and the massive sense of joy and fun in his soul.

Take a game at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum when the St. Anthony High product was a standout wide receiver with the Rams. This was during the Rams' heyday in the '70s when the home sidelines were littered with celebrities.

Snow caught a pass and couldn't slow down as he ran out-of-bounds, and he wound up crashing into actor Telly Savalas. So when he ran back to the huddle, he told his teammates, "I think I killed Kojak."

He also used to love reminding people that he had a small role in the Warren Beatty movie "Heaven Can Wait," and that it was the first time Beatty wasn't the best-looking man in a movie.

It is that kind of spirit that the world will miss with Snow's passing Monday night after losing a two-month battle with a vicious staph infection.

Few athletes can say they had a career in a sport as long as Snow and that impacted as many different communities Long Beach, St. Anthony, Notre Dame, the Rams of Los Angeles and St. Louis, the NFL, sportscasting, and even Major League Baseball.

Snow was a three-sport star at St. Anthony who won 10 letters in his high school career and was an All-CIF end and Long Beach's All-City lineman of the year in 1960 as a two-way player. He had 17 catches for 245 yards and five touchdowns that season, was a key player on the Saints' best-in-the-city defense, filled in at running back at times, and also handled kicking duties.

He was also a two-time All-City choice in baseball (1960 and 1961), hitting over .400 both seasons as a third baseman and outfielder. In his senior year, St. Anthony won the Catholic League titles in football, basketball and baseball.

"I knew Jack going back to grammar school and playing against each other in CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) games," said John Gonsalves, the former Long Beach State player and head coach, who played baseball and basketball with Snow at St. Anthony.

"Jack was a talented athlete from the beginning, but he was thin until he was a senior, when he started weight training and just blossomed. He became so big and strong in the upper body.

"He was just a fair baseball player but such a great athlete that he succeeded anyway, and he was a shooting guard in basketball. We had some pretty talented athletes back then Dave Adlesh, Homer Williams, Tyrone Price, Tommy Walsh but Jack was the best of them."

Rick Hayes, another classmate and a former baseball standout at Long Beach City College and Long Beach State, said Snow was as much of a leader...
              -01-11-2006, 10:13 PM
            • RamWraith
              The Rams comment on Snow
              by RamWraith
              Interim Head Coach Joe Vitt

(On the passing of former Rams’ WR Jack Snow)

“Our whole organization right now is grieving the loss of
              Jack Snow. I talked to Stephanie, his daughter, this
              morning. He passed last night in the arms of his family. He
              was taken off of all artificial resuscitations and had a
              smile on his face. Stephanie was very positive and upbeat
              this morning about the life of her father. Jack leaves a
              great legacy in the National Football League as a player. He
              leaves a great legacy in the Rams organization as a friend.
              We’re all going to miss him very dearly.”

(On Snow being a link between the Los Angeles and St. Louis
              Rams)

“There is no question about it. He has spent his entire life
              being a member of this organization. He spent his whole life
              being a member of the National Football League. I thought
              that he really felt that it was his responsibility to teach
              the young guys what their role is now in the National
              Football League, that they are now a role model for the
              youth. Now it’s their turn. It’s their turn to carry the
              torch. I think anybody that comes into the National Football
              League, it’s up to us to teach our young players who paved