Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coakley expects to be cut says another

jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=430101

Unless there's a bombshell or two, the post-June 1 cuts will be the most unattractive lot ever. Among the casualties could be Washington wide receiver David Patten, St. Louis linebacker Dexter Coakley, Cleveland running back Lee Suggs and Oakland defensive end Bobby Hamilton.

Re: Coakley expects to be cut says another

I dont think he will get cut, he just had a down year last year. and he provides experience

Comment

I think he's cut. I don't think he has the speed anymore to play in this version of the NFL.

Comment

Great.....we fire martz and bring in a guy who couldn't coach defense if the manual hit him square in the face. First we cut Claiborne. That was a genious move in and of it self. How could they have cut him when they didn't see him play last year? He was never on the field, because they always played with 2 lb's and 5 db's. He was a quality player that should still be with the team. Going back on topic. I think that it would be a stupid decesion to cut him. If they cut him, who will take over his slot? I'm not big on trial by fire with guys that have little NFL experience. He is also an experiencing veteran who is always giving of himself. He is not willing to take a hit to give one back. Also with tackling being such a problem last year, why do we wanna cut someone who can tackle on a constant basis?

Comment

Alright Dr. As I am the self proclaimed ClanRam Secretary of Defense, I'm going to enjoy your input on the "other" side of the ball.

Comment

yea i agree with Dr. D. they never let Claiborne on the field he has experience and he's a good player. I would of liked it if Claiborne was still on the team. I would liked our linebackers to look like this:

WLB Witherspoon, MLB Claiborne, SLB Tinoisamoa

Witherspoon is better in his Natural Position.

Right now its:

WLB Tinoisamoa, MLB Witherspoon, SLB Chillar

This is a great linebacker set, but Witherspoon IMO isnt ready to play MLB.

Comment

Welcome to the clan!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to disagree with you here, especially on Claiborne. Linehan saw plenty of him in Minnesota when they were both there in 2003 and 2004. The fact that Claiborne is still a free agent tells me that none of the other teams are that excited about him either. Coakley is a proven player, but he's coming back from a major injury. My take on this is that if it clears the cap space for another signing--say a veteran defensive tackle--it's probably for the best.

Comment

A bit under-sized, a little long in the tooth and recovering from major injury. I do believe these factors will contribute to Dexter's leaving us.

Agree with GF I do. Linehan saw plenty of Claiborne in Minny. While I do agree that he was shortchanged on playing time last year, I do not believe he was a fit for Haslett's D.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Defense
                  Great.....we fire martz and bring in a guy who couldn't coach defense if the manual hit him square in the face. First we cut Claiborne. That was a genious move in and of it self. How could they have cut him when they didn't see him play last year? He was never on the field, because they always played with 2 lb's and 5 db's. He was a quality player that should still be with the team. Going back on topic. I think that it would be a stupid decesion to cut him. If they cut him, who will take over his slot? I'm not big on trial by fire with guys that have little NFL experience. He is also an experiencing veteran who is always giving of himself. He is not willing to take a hit to give one back. Also with tackling being such a problem last year, why do we wanna cut someone who can tackle on a constant basis?

We fired Martz because it was time to fire Martz. We brought in Haslett because he can coach defense. The Rams cut Claiborne because when he was on the field it was like he wasnt on the field. He had his chance and if he was so good he would have stayed on the field. I seen him miss enough tackles and be out of position in the first Seattle game to know why he lost playing time throughout the year. Tackling was an issue last year becuase of bad coaching. Most of these same guys tackled pretty good under Lovie Smith didnt they? If they cut Coakley consider it a good sign they are confident with what they have and what they have seen.
                  Aim high Willis, Aim High!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsFan16
                    Who will St. Louis cut if need be
                    by RamsFan16
                    Who would you guys say? Mine would be Claiborne, Manu, Timmerman.
                    -03-02-2006, 04:59 AM
                  • RamWraith
                    New Look Linebackers Hope for Big Year
                    by RamWraith
                    Friday, August 5, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
                    Senior Writer

While the Rams’ defense watched as the Falcons shredded through them on the ground in an NFC Divisional Playoff game, the need for help at linebacker became more pressing than ever. St. Louis jumped into action, moving quickly on a pair of veteran linebackers with the intent to change the face of the defense.

With those moves come a changing of the guard in the team’s linebacking corps, a change spearheaded by the addition of Chris Claiborne and Dexter Coakley, a pair of tough linebackers that will join Pisa Tinoisamoa to form what could be one of the league’s orneriest linebacker trios.

As free agency approached, it was no secret that St. Louis had to make upgrading the linebackers a priority. Robert Thomas was not physical enough inside and the various players tried at the outside spot opposite Tinoisamoa did not make enough plays to hold on to starting roles.

Free agency presented a number of intriguing options, each with varying monetary values. The likes of Baltimore’s Edgerton Hartwell could be had, but at a big sticker price or more cost-effective options such as Claiborne could be had.

Instead of blowing whatever salary cap room they had on one player, the Rams decided the situation was at a point where multiple good players were needed.

In signing linebackers, St. Louis wanted to get more physical and add toughness and leadership. When Dallas cut three-time Pro Bowler Coakley on March 1, the Rams wasted no time in pouncing. Although Coakley didn’t exactly fit the bill in the physical department, he more than made up for it with toughness and leadership.

St. Louis had so much interest in Coakley that members of the coaching staff, including Mike Martz, were there to greet him at the airport. It didn’t take long for Coakley to realize the opportunity that was being presented to him was a good fit for what he was looking for.

“It was a good chance to come in and come into a situation where you have a chance to be a starter,” Coakley said.

Coakley wasted no time signing on and was almost immediately named a team captain. His presence is already felt in camp and it shows in the way he takes charge on the field. Coakley has missed just one game because of injury in his career and finished in the top three in tackles every year he was in Dallas. That kind of production is more than enough to overcome his relative lack of size (he’s listed at 5’10).

Claiborne, on the other hand, has been viewed as almost the opposite of Coakley. Size is not a problem for Claiborne, who is 6’3. The knocks on him before he signed with St. Louis stemmed from his lack of production in Detroit and Minnesota.

In fairness to Claiborne, though, he has played outside linebacker at both stops and been plagued by injuries. After nearly...
                    -08-05-2005, 06:33 PM
                  • RamsFan16
                    Rams to release Coakley
                    by RamsFan16
                    Another good move in my opinion Linehan and Co. If they couldn't work out a deal to restructure then cut him and try and resign him, if not we can find someone else.

I approve both of the moves today (Cutting Adam Timmerman and Dexter Coakley)...
                    -02-26-2007, 05:52 PM
                  • evil disco man
                    Linebackers should help Rams defense
                    by evil disco man
                    Linebackers should help Rams defense

By Bill Coats
                    Of the Post-Dispatch
                    05/11/2005

In a two-day period in early March, the Rams added 14 years of NFL experience and 1,759 career tackles to a tattered defense that yielded more points than all but seven other units in the 32-team league last season.

The defensive help came in the form of free agents Chris Claiborne, 26, and Dexter Coakley, 32, who are expected to join Pisa Tinoisamoa as first-team linebackers. Claiborne, 6-foot-3 and 255 pounds, figures to supplant Robert Thomas, an underachieving first-round draft pick in 2002, in the middle. Coakley, 5-foot-10 and 236, takes over the strongside spot left vacant when Tommy Polley, a second-round selection in '01 who has been inconsistent, was let go.

"I like the organization, and I thought the team was going in the right direction to win the Super Bowl with the offense that we have," Claiborne said Wednesday during a break in organized team activities at Rams Park. "We've just got to pick it up on defense, which we will. I stepped into a great situation."

Coakley played all eight of his previous seasons in Dallas. He started each of his 117 NFL games after being drafted in the third round in 1997 out of NCAA Division I-AA Appalachian State.

"You want to think you're going to finish your career with the team that drafts you, but unfortunately that's not the case," Coakley said. "Football is a game, but obviously it's a business, too. They made a business decision, and I accept it. There weren't any hard feelings. They're moving in a new direction, and so am I."

Tinoisamoa, 23, led the team in tackles (145) and tackles-for-loss (seven) last year. But overall, the Rams' linebacking corps was considered undersized and a bit soft.

Coach Mike Martz and defensive coordinator Larry Marmie set out to change that by hiring Claiborne, who has averaged 119 tackles in six seasons and will be the team's biggest linebacker since it moved from Los Angeles in 1995, the day after Coakley arrived. Martz was so impressed with Coakley, a fierce hitter who averages 130 tackles a year, that he quickly appointed him a captain.

"Hopefully the guys won't ride me too hard for just coming aboard and already being a team captain," Coakley said, smiling. "I want to show them my leadership, I want to show them my work ethic, I want to show them how to be a true professional. That's on the field, off the field, in all walks of life."

Despite three Pro Bowl seasons with the Cowboys, Coakley became expendable this offseason when coach Bill Parcells decided to switch to a 3-4 defense. Coakley, who had a career-low 91 tackles last year, when his playing time was cut, wasn't interested in being a nickel-down defender. He signed a five-year, $14.5 million contract...
                    -05-11-2005, 11:03 PM
                  • Majpain
                    One cut system
                    by Majpain
                    Do the Rams run it?
                    -04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
                  Working...
                  X