• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee charged in theft at gallery

Employee charged in theft at gallery
    Chicago Tribune
    By Charles Sheehan
    June 18, 2006

It's just been such a frenzy with people grabbing my work left and right that I can't make it fast enough

An artist whose work has become a hot commodity after it was featured prominently in the movie 'The Break-Up' was the victim of a break-in at her Chicago gallery.

Investigators now say it was an inside job. On Saturday a Cook County Criminal Court judge ordered an intern from Francine Turk Gallerie held on $50,000 bail.

Michael Gutweiler, 23, a graphic arts student at Columbia College, said nothing during his hearing before Judge Thomas Hennelly. Gutweiler has been charged with felony burglary.

Turk said that since her work appeared in the condominium at the heart of the Chicago-based film starring Jennifer Anniston and Vince Vaughn, collectors have been snapping up everything she creates.

'It's just been such a frenzy with people grabbing my work left and right that I can't make it fast enough,' she said. 'I think he saw the frenzy, and one thing led to another.'

Witnesses said two men in black ski masks smashed through a glass front door at 7 a.m. Tuesday in the South Loop gallery, grabbed 10 paintings and sped off in a maroon van, Officer Kristina Schuler said.

The paintings have not been found, and nobody else has been charged, police said.

Gutweiler, who grew up in St. Louis, was the subject of a 2004 profile in the Tribune.

On Oct. 19, 1998, St. Louis Rams defensive end Leonard Little ran a stoplight in a sport-utility vehicle and smashed into the car driven by Susan Gutweiler, Michael Gutweiler's mother.

She died 12 hours later. Michael Gutweiler was 15 at the time.

Little pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to 90 days in jail, 4 years' probation and 1,000 hours' community service.

In an interview with Tribune sports columnist Rick Morrissey, Gutweiler said that his mother's death had ruined his life.

He told Morrissey that after the accident, he quit playing ice hockey and soccer. He withdrew from friends and stopped taking medication for Tourette's syndrome, he said.

Turk said she posted a job for a summer intern on the Columbia College Web site seeking help in the wake of her newfound fame.

Gutweiler was hired in May, she said.

Detectives told her almost immediately that the theft was an inside job and asked Turk for a list of employees.

Court documents say Gutweiler had a pellet gun tucked in his waistband. The gun may have been used to shoot out the glass front door, police said.

Gutweiler is scheduled to appear in court again June 23.

Calls to Gutweiler's father's home in St. Louis were not returned Saturday.

Re: Employee charged in theft at gallery

While I am truly sorry for the loss of his mother, I cannot condone his actions. I am embarrassed that Leonard Little is a St Louis Ram.

I lost my 16 year old daughter 0n October 2, 2004...and lost my youngest brother exactly one month ago...but I could not use their deaths as an excuse to commit burglary.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaRam
      While I am truly sorry for the loss of his mother, I cannot condone his actions. I am embarrassed that Leonard Little is a St Louis Ram.

I lost my 16 year old daughter 0n October 2, 2004...and lost my youngest brother exactly one month ago...but I could not use their deaths as an excuse to commit burglary.
      Your embarassed that Leonard Little is a Ram!

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaRam

I'm not embarrassed about Little. He made a mistake, like everyone has.

But there's no justification to robbing something because his mom was killed.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
          Two Former BYU Players Acquitted of Rape
          by DJRamFan
          Players were accused of sexually assaulting a girl that passed out from drinking.

Sept. 2, 2005

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Two former Brigham Young University football players were acquitted Friday of charges alleging they raped a girl at their apartment after she passed out from drinking.

B.J. Mathis and Ibrahim Rashada, who no longer are students at the school, were found not guilty of charges of aggravated sexual assault, obstruction of justice and furnishing alcohol to a minor.

Two other players who had faced the same charges agreed to plea deals, as did two more players who had faced lesser charges. All have left the team and the school.

"I'm overwhelmed," Rashada said after the verdict. He called the allegations a "tragedy."

"I feel relieved, blessed," Mathis said. "We wish the best for her, that she can get on with her life."

Prosecutors said they did their best in a "difficult" case. The family of the 17-year-old girl issued a statement applauding her resolve to bring the case to court.

During the trial, former defendant William Turner Jr. testified the players took advantage of a "barely conscious" girl. Turner pleaded guilty in juvenile court to forcible sodomy.
          -09-02-2005, 09:11 PM
        • txramsfan
          Colorado is a mess.....
          by txramsfan
          http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/colleg.../story/7425946

Colorado prez brought to tears over vulgarity controversy

DENVER -- The University of Colorado president began to cry during an interview after the release of a transcript that showed her refusing to condemn a football player's alleged use of a vulgar anatomical term to describe a female teammate.

An attorney told Betsy Hoffman during a heated legal deposition this month in a federal court case that the vulgar reference had been used by a player to describe then-teammate Katie Hnida.

The attorney asked Hoffman whether she thought the term was "a filthy and vile word."

Hoffman replied it was a "swear word" and its meaning depended on the circumstances in which it was used, according to a copy of the June 5 deposition released by the school Tuesday.

Asked if it could ever be used in a polite context, Hoffman replied: "Yes, I've actually heard it used as a term of endearment."

Hoffman defended her answer Tuesday in a meeting with Durango Herald reporters and editors, but said she should have phrased it differently.

"I was immediately sorry I said it," she said.

Hoffman began to cry at one point in the discussion at the Herald and left the room briefly to compose herself, the newspaper reported.

University spokeswoman Michele Ames said Hoffman knows the word has "negative connotations" today but it did not in its original use centuries ago.

"Because she is a medieval scholar, she is also aware of the long history of the word dating back to at least Chaucer," Ames said.

Fourteenth-century English writer Geoffrey Chaucer used the word in his sometimes-bawdy classic The Canterbury Tales.

The deposition came in a lawsuit filed by three other women who say they were sexually assaulted by football athletes in 2001.

A member of the Board of Regents and others said they were appalled by what they called Hoffman's lack of sensitivity.

The comments recalled football coach Gary Barnett's ill-fated description of Hnida in February as an "awful player" after she told Sports Illustrated she had been raped by a teammate in 2000.

Barnett was suspended shortly afterward by Hoffman, who said his comments about Hnida and another woman accusing an athlete of rape had stunned her.

Regent Jim Martin called Hoffman's comments "more outrageous" because they were made under oath by the university's top leader.

"I'm embarrassed for the university, I'm embarrassed for her and, quite frankly, it shocks the sense of human decency," Martin said. "She needs to give an immediate apology."

Hoffman had consistently...
          -06-17-2004, 01:08 PM
        • RamsFan16
          Dixon mourned by 1,200 at funeral
          by RamsFan16
          Dixon mourned by 1,200 at funeral
          Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Basketball coach Maggie Dixon, who suddenly died last week at 28 after leading Army's women's team to its first NCAA Tournament berth, was mourned Tuesday by her cadet squad, former teammates and brother, Pittsburgh men's coach Jamie Dixon.

"She made reality out of our once-intangible dreams," Army forward Ashley Magnani told 1,200 mourners attending the funeral at St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic Church in her childhood parish.

AP Photo
          Pitt men's basketball coach Jamie Dixon kisses the coffin of his sister Maggie on Tuesday.

"Coach Dixon, our angel, we promise to make you proud," Magnani added.

Dixon died in New York on April 6 after suffering heart arrhythmia.

The 1999 University of San Diego graduate had only been at West Point since October, inheriting a team that struggled initially but won nine of its last 11 games and got to the tournament, where it lost in the first round.

She had previously been a top assistant to DePaul coach Doug Bruno after her WNBA dreams ended when she was cut by the Los Angeles Sparks after a May 2000 tryout.

Her brother Jamie, who had encouraged her to go into coaching, told mourners that he and his sister used to talk every day and she gave him inspiration.

"She saw the good in everyone. She made everyone around her a better person. She made me a better person. I've said this before -- when I grow up I want to be just like her," Jamie Dixon said.

Msgr. Robert Gallagher began the service by blessing the casket.

"Our sister has been called back to the Lord now, for some mysterious reason," he said and noted he came to the parish in 1977, only two months after Dixon was baptized, and watched her grow from "a scrawny little kid."

Citing a New Testament passage in which Jesus says, "In my father's house, there are many dwelling places," Gallagher added, "I'm not sure how many basketball courts. But you know, Maggie would take any room that the Lord would prepare for her."

A picture of Dixon's Army team was placed just below the altar.

"She reached every one of their souls," said Army athletic director Kevin Anderson.

Anderson said the last time he talked to her he was concerned she would be hired away and she promised she would not leave -- but she did.

"I was very mad last week. However, I had to consider who hired her," he said.

Acquaintances also described Dixon's life beyond basketball, including a passion for cooking and travel.

"She was splendid at loving life and passionately sharing it with all of us," said DePaul athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto.
          -04-17-2006, 02:14 AM
        • MauiRam
          Little feels pain of his actions 10 years later
          by MauiRam
          Little feels pain of his actions 10 years later
          By Bryan Burwell
          ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
          05/02/2008

The 10- and 11-year-old boys say they know all about him. They know he is a larger-than-life football star who makes millions of dollars, performs in giant stadiums and races across their television screens on Sundays.

They are sixth- and seventh-graders at the Loyola Academy of St. Louis, a small all-boys Jesuit middle school that sits in the shadows of the Fox Theatre. They sit in this brightly lit classroom with their eager faces, their blue polo shirts and beige khaki pants, and are giggling and joking. They have been keenly anticipating the arrival of the tall, muscular man in the loose-fitting jeans, starched striped cotton shirt and spotless white Nike sneakers who has just walked into the room.

"I want to tell you guys a story," Leonard Little said in a gentle voice spiced with a soft Southern lilt.

The boys stop giggling and they snap to attention as Little sits on the top step of a three-tiered choir riser, leans his back against the dry eraser board and settles under a 12-inch-long silver crucifix.

You can draw your own conclusions about the symbolism of this juxtaposition, but it's impossible to ignore it because Little had come to this classroom to pay for his sins.

"I want you guys to pay attention to what I'm about to say," he said.

You could hear in his voice how uncomfortable he was. He stuttered a bit, occasionally looking into the audience to establish eye contact with a friend for some reassurance that he was saying all the right things. But the longer he spoke, you could also hear the eagerness in his voice, too. These were words and emotions that he was aching to get out of his gut. He's been keeping this pain inside for a long time, and even if it sounded a bit uncomfortable, it felt liberating.

"Please don't do what I did," he said. "I killed someone and I constantly think about the hurt I caused that family. I'm not a bad person, but I made a bad decision, and it cost someone her life and ruined her family's lives. You don't want that burden on you."

Even if you don't want to forgive him, Leonard Little wants to say he's sorry, and it has taken him nearly 10 years to get up the nerve to do this publicly.

So what we witnessed on this Tuesday afternoon was another phase in the personal penance the Rams defensive end is paying as retribution for the fateful night of Oct. 19, 1998, when he climbed behind the wheel of his Lincoln Navigator and made two fateful turns out of a hotel parking area, then struck and killed Susan Gutweiler. MORE BURWELL

The toxicology reports said Little was drunk, and he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and served 90 days in jail. There are plenty of angry people out...
          -05-02-2008, 02:37 AM
        • ramsanddodgers
          There she shoots, Miss America.....
          by ramsanddodgers
          Armed Miss America 1944 stops intruder
          The Associated Press
          Related Content
          Armed Miss America 1944 stops intruder_0
          http://www.missamerica.org

WAYNESBURG, Ky. --Miss America 1944 has a talent that likely has never appeared on a beauty pageant stage: She fired a handgun to shoot out a vehicle's tires and stop an intruder. Venus Ramey, 82, confronted a man on her farm in south-central Kentucky last week after she saw her dog run into a storage building where thieves had previously made off with old farm equipment.

Ramey said the man told her he would leave. "I said, 'Oh, no you won't,' and I shot their tires so they couldn't leave," Ramey said.

She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun.

"I didn't even think twice. I just went and did it," she said. "If they'd even dared come close to me, they'd be 6 feet under by now."

Ramey then flagged down a passing motorist, who called 911.

Curtis Parrish of Ohio was charged with misdemeanor trespassing, Deputy Dan Gilliam said. The man's hometown wasn't immediately available. Three other people were questioned but were not arrested.

After winning the pageant with her singing, dancing and comedic talents, Ramey sold war bonds and her picture was adorned on a B-17 that made missions over Germany in World War II, according to the Miss America Web site.

Ramey lived in Cincinnati for several years and was instrumental in helping rejuvenate Over-the-Rhine historic buildings. She returned to Kentucky in 1990 to live on her farm.

"I'm trying to live a quiet, peaceful life and stay out of trouble, and all it is, is one thing after another," she said.
          -04-20-2007, 08:10 PM
        Working...
        X