X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dealing with Sports Performance Anxiety

Originally posted by Milan View Post
    I have implemented the 20lb curls.

I did one set of 15 with the 20lb for curls, then after my other exercises, I cooled down with a set of 20 with the 15lb.

Also, is 70-80 pushups enough. I do 2 sets of 40 and sometimes if I can't do anymore, 1 set of 40 and one of 30.
    Ok the curls sound good! well for pushups this is what i do, i will do 50 a day for a week. then the next day i will do 60, next week 70 and keep ongoing. same with situps
    Built RAM tough

Comment

Originally posted by 81~BIG-GAME View Post
      Finding your 'Max' can be dangerous and because of this I have never done it. It encourages you to struggle and perform the rep with bad technique, meaning it proves little. The general rule of thumb I use as a soccer player is if it's the upper body aim for 8-12 reps and once I hit 12 I raise the weight I lift. For the lower body I would go for 10-15 and raise weight once I hit 15. I know football is a more physically demanding game than soccer but really for both you need good body strength. And the most important thing to remember is that it's not all about how heavy the weight is, it's all about technique and keeping it slow and smooth, rather than bouncing or jerking to lift a heavier weight...
      You are 100% correct about finding your max, especially on lifts such as power clean and squat. We would always have several spotters when we maxed out, so I think it's decently safe. The worse I've done is messed up my back pretty bad when I used a bad technique on power cleans. The best thing to do is find your "Max with good technique." Always have spotters, and even if you think you can do it, but your technique is messing up, have them get it up for you. This will prevent most muscle strains and chance of injury.

As you mentioned, going for a certain amount of reps, and then when you reach your goal moving up, is another good routine. That way you know you are getting stronger because you can do the same amount of reps you used to, but now with more weight.

Comment

I pushed myself to exhaustion today.

I did 50 pushups thinking that it was gonna be a day off for me and wanting to do at least a bit. I did the 50, then I did another set of 40, then a set of 30 in 30 minutes. I also did a lot more repetitions of everything than usual. I'm feeling pretty good. Exhausted, but good.

Comment

I pushed myself to exhaustion today.

I did 50 pushups thinking that it was gonna be a day off for me and wanting to do at least a bit. I did the 50, then I did another set of 40, then a set of 30 in 30 minutes. I also did a lot more repetitions of everything than usual. I'm feeling pretty good. Exhausted, but good.
          You feel really good inside after a workout that makes you exhausted, very tired, but good.
          Be sure to drink plenty of water! It will keep you hydrated and ready for more.

Also, rest is also important. If your muscles are very tired, there is nothing wrong with doing some excersies to work out the soreness, but if you work out really hard for days without getting rest, you can actually damage muscle tissue. If you try to do pushups tomorrow and you find you can only do a few before it starts hurting real bad, stop, do some arm stretches, and take a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Keenum View Post
            You feel really good inside after a workout that makes you exhausted, very tired, but good.
            Be sure to drink plenty of water! It will keep you hydrated and ready for more.

Also, rest is also important. If your muscles are very tired, there is nothing wrong with doing some excersies to work out the soreness, but if you work out really hard for days without getting rest, you can actually damage muscle tissue. If you try to do pushups tomorrow and you find you can only do a few before it starts hurting real bad, stop, do some arm stretches, and take a break.
            Yeah I used to go 2 days working out, one day break and on and on like that. Now I think I'll do 4-5 days per week.

Also, last year I loved my coaches, and I'll be the last to criticize anything any of my coaches do but the dude playing safety next to me had no idea how to play football, he missed tackles everywhere, couldn't catch and wasn't fast at all but he got so cocky from getting to start. One of the dumbest kids I've ever talked to too.

This year, I have no relationship at all with the coaches, my first year, my head coach was also my history teacher and a general nice guy and my assistant was a nice guy as well. The senior coaches are more strict and stuff and I have no relationship whatsoever with them, so I'll have to adjust.

Comment

Yeah I used to go 2 days working out, one day break and on and on like that. Now I think I'll do 4-5 days per week.

Also, last year I loved my coaches, and I'll be the last to criticize anything any of my coaches do but the dude playing safety next to me had no idea how to play football, he missed tackles everywhere, couldn't catch and wasn't fast at all but he got so cocky from getting to start. One of the dumbest kids I've ever talked to too.

This year, I have no relationship at all with the coaches, my first year, my head coach was also my history teacher and a general nice guy and my assistant was a nice guy as well. The senior coaches are more strict and stuff and I have no relationship whatsoever with them, so I'll have to adjust.
              Yeah, it will take time to build relationships with coaches. When on the practice field, always to your best to impress them by going all-out. Coaches love it when they see a guy who loves the game and is willing to throw his body around. They also love "low-maintenance" guys (guys who do not get in trouble off the field).

Comment

It is important when doing strength training to actually give your body some rest. If you do a workout focusing mainly on the upper body, the next day it would be better to work the legs to let your muscles recover. Actually working the same muscles every day could stifle the improvement in muscle strength. Our fitness coach got some training manuals from NfL sides and it was noticeable that they would work upper body on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and lower body on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday..

Comment

Originally posted by 81~BIG-GAME View Post
                  It is important when doing strength training to actually give your body some rest. If you do a workout focusing mainly on the upper body, the next day it would be better to work the legs to let your muscles recover. Actually working the same muscles every day could stifle the improvement in muscle strength. Our fitness coach got some training manuals from NfL sides and it was noticeable that they would work upper body on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and lower body on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday..
                  That's right. I think I mentioned above that if you continue to strain muscles day after day, you can eventually severly damage them, and your strength will be gone. Then you'll have to let them recover for a while, and by that time, your muscle mass will have dropped, and it's like you will have to start all over again.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Fat Pang
                    The first ten minutes.
                    Fat Pang
                    I really wasn't sure which forum to put this post in. It's about football, but it's not about the Rams or the NFL. It's also very personal, or at least it's very personal in the sense that it's purely about my sensory perceptions of the first ten minutes of a football game from a players point of view. So, I plumped for the the default choice of the lounge, on the basis that in the unlikely event that I offended anyone with my musings, not very many people would see it.

As I think we can all agree, whether Ram fans or not, (and there are some who grace our forums who add to this site and aren't) the start of the football season is something to be savoured and anticipated. We start thinking about the future as soon as our teams last snap is concluded. Whether we were happy with the achievments of our chosen team or not,the future provides the panacea for all ills. Anything is possible in the virtual nirvana that is the future. Worst to first in one season is possible, we all know it, so what's to stop us from dreaming?

It's one of the best features of the human condition, a natural optimism, that, guided by the love of the sport, finds itself a comfortable chair, a jaundiced view and dreams of glories to come. I've already discussed this somewhere else of course, and informed you all of my intention to look for the best this season. I'm sincere in that and hope that I'm pleasantly surprised, but I realised this morning that as I did so, I was talking from a fans point of view.

This is natural of course because I am an armchair fan, but I was also a player for nearly eight years, and so realised that there are other points of view to explore. Player and fan aren't necessarily related either. At college, I knew guys who loved playing the game and were very good at it but who hated watching it and regarded the three hours spent doing so as a complete waste of time. Happy to have their own bones broken, but not too interested in seeing others break theirs.

So there is a difference that we often ignore when it comes to being passionate about the result of a football game and the outcome of a season and the vantage point from which you view it.

We're all guilty of it too. How often have we screamed at the television, berating those players who are on the wrong end of a caning for not caring quite as much as we do? How often have we held them culpable for dashing our dreams? How often have we accused them of being paycheque(paycheck) players with all that is implied in that statement?

I know that I felt that I had cause to do all those things for virtually the entire 90's.:x

However at work this morning, whilst writing a lesson plan that would teach chinese children whose native language is Cantonese, to write Japanese Haiku poetry in English, (Not as hard as it sounds) I thought about this very pertinent fact, something I was surprised I hadn't considered...
                    -09-06-2006, 07:36 AM
                  • MauiRam
                    "Rules For Work" Any contractors of subcontractors out there?
                    MauiRam
                    Rules for work

1) Never give me work in the morning. Always wait until 4:00 PM and then bring it to me. The challenge of a deadline is refreshing.

2) If itís really a rush job, run in and interrupt me every 10 minutes to inquire
                    how itís going. That helps. Or even better, hover behind me, advising me
                    as often as possible.

3) Always leave without telling anyone where youíre going. That way it gives me
                    a chance to be creative when someone asks where you are.

4) If my arms are full carrying tools and materials, donít open the door for me. I
                    need to learn how to function as a paraplegic and opening doors with no arms
                    is good training in case I should ever be injured and lose all use of my limbs.

5) If you give me more than one job to do, donít tell me which one is the priority.
                    I am psychic.

6) Do your best to keep me working late and on weekends. I adore working and
                    really have nowhere to go or anything to do. I have no life beyond work.

7) If a job I do actually pleases you, keep it a secret. If that gets out it could
                    lead to a raise.

8) If you donít like my work, tell everyone. I like my name to be popular in con-
                    versations. I was born to be whipped.

9) If you have special instructions for a job, donít write them down. In fact, save
                    them until the job is almost done. No use confusing me with useful
                    information.

10) Never introduce me to the people youíre with. I have no right to know
                    anything. In the construction food chain I am plankton. When you refer to
                    them later, my shrewd deductions will identify them.

11) Be nice to me only when the job Iím doing for you could really change your
                    life and send you straight to contractorsí hell.

12) Tell me all your little problems. No one else has any and itís nice to know
                    that someone else is less fortunate. I especially like the story about your
                    having to pay so much taxes on all the money you made last year.
                    -05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
                  • 28rulz
                    What do you remember?
                    28rulz
                    I am reading a Grishm book called The Bleachers and began thinking about what it must be like for those of you who played football to watch the games now. What you miss, what plays strongest in your mind now when you look back. Did any of you play for any diehard teams like portrayed in the book? What kind of emotions does watching the Rams in their sucess and failures stir up in you from your days of play? I kind of feel left out of this realm of football.
                    Mods, you may need to move this to another area, I wasnt sure.
                    -07-25-2004, 10:24 AM
                  • AvengerRam_old
                    5 Innovations I Just Don't Get
                    AvengerRam_old
                    As I approach the end of my fourth decade on this planet, I marvel at the many innovations that make daily life easier, more productive, more informative and more entertaining. That said, there are a few things that the youngsters spend their time and money on that I simply do not get:

1. Ringtones
                    I know, I know. Its uber-cool to have your phone play the theme from Aqua Teen Hunger Force when it rings, but is that really worth the $10 you spent to download it? Come on, its just a noise to let you know someone is calling you.

2. Text Messaging
                    What is the fascination of typing little messages on a 2 x 2 cm keyboard? Wouldn't it be easier just to call? Or, dare I say, just to wait until you see your friend the next day?

3. The MP3 Player as an exclusive music listening device
                    The whole music downloading trend, planned or not, has played out like a drug dealer's strategy. First, everything was free. Then, people got hooked. Finally, the price was jacked up (as an aside, I still don't get how that Napster guy's not in jail). MP3 players are great. I have one myself. But I don't see how it replaces actually buying albums. Sure, you can download an entire album, but most don't. Most download song by song. In doing so, you miss out on the great non-single tracks. I just hope that the MP3 age doesn't kill the great B-sides.

4. The In-Car/Van/SUV DVD Player
                    Though my kids would love one, my wife and I have resisted the temptation to buy a car with a DVD player. Kids should look out the window every once in a while. They might actually see something interesting. What's worse is the number of times I've seen someone driving alone with the DVD player on. What are they doing? Listening to a movie? Watching at red lights? Not watching the road at all?

5. In-Dash GPS Devices/On-Star
                    Whatever happened to looking at a map? Or, dare I say, just knowing where you are going? The worst of these are the ones that talk. And what about On-Star? Isn't the notion of a faceless company having the ability to monitor every move you make, unlock your door remotely and dispatch the police, fire department or EMTs to your vehicle sound just a little too Big Brother-ish?

And so, before I drive off on a route that I, and only I know, while listening to a CD player, with my phone that rings with the tone it came with, let me leave you with this thought...

When invention becomes the mother of your necessity, you need a hobby.
                    -02-18-2007, 01:43 PM
                  • itsguud
                    Disssapointed with the Rams Business
                    itsguud
                    I am just spitting out my dissappointment with how students are used by the organization. Or at least how they appear to be used.

I am doing a joint major in Business/Russian in Memorial University of Newfoundland and am currently looking for a business (marketing/PR/HR) work-term for this fall semester. Of course my dream job once finishing school is to land a job with a major sports team, in either Hockey or Football. My #1 choice of place to work would definitly be with the Rams, #2 being the Leafs. What has been dissappointing is how hard it seems to be to get a work-term with an NFL team, the Rams in particular. It appears that first of all you can only get "unpaid" internships, which blows my mind at how they expect stdents to live without money, and secondly that there seem to be no postions of these type at all available. (note: at our university we are not allowed to accept unpaid work-terms).

Anyway, I'm just rambling becasue it appears I won't be able to work in the NFL, or more importantly with the Rams for a work-term , which was my goal when I started doing a commerce degree.

But dang I can't wait till we win the bowl this year !!!!!!!!!!1
                    -06-29-2007, 10:47 AM
                  Working...
                  X