THE 2021 LOS ANGELES RAMS SEASON

Collapse

Google

Collapse

LA Rams @ Colts - Game Day Thread

A dive into the NFC west

Upon completing a deep dive into the rosters of the NFC West....I have concluded that in a vaccume the Rams win the division outright!

Let me illustrate what kinda vaccume that I am talking about. What I mean by that is that if there are no covid issues, no regression of play by individuals who's contribution is counted upon (i.e. J. Fuller), and of course most importatntly no significant injuries.

Cross those 3 things off list of "things that can go wrong" then you can pencil in LA as NFC Champs and a massive hurdle cleared in the race to the Super Bowl (SB).

The Rams proved that their 2020 version could go toe to toe with Tampa Bay (TB).

Green Bay (GB) showed out in 2020 preforming on another level and although I thought the Rams had a good chance in last years playoff loss; LA would need all of it's stars to attempt to match said level. It appeared obvious (even if the majority of Ram fans were in denial) that LA needed an upgrade at Quarterback (QB). If they didn't want to miss the window opened by a couple of generational defensive Superstars.

You cannot win on defense alone in this league, not anymore. You have to be able to counter the punches landed by the oppositions offense. The Rams got the QB to match GB's weight class.

Can anyone honestly say that Aaron Rodgers would prefer his offensive weapons to that of LA's? If it was 1 for 1 perhaps, but not when comparing complete arsenals. Lets play the "greater than" game.
Does Alligator Aaron eat the greater value?
1 Adams < 1 Woods + 1 Kupp
M. Lewis + R. Tonyan < T. Higbee
Valdez Scantling, A. Lazard, R. Cobb < V. Jefferson, D. Jax, T. Atwell
Aaron Jones, A.J. Dillon > D. Hendo, S. Michael

Which would you prefer?
Mathew Stafford (33yrs old) vs. Aaron Rodgers (38yrs old)

The 2021 NFC SB representative is...?
I think the Rams have more than a sluggers chance. They match up well w/ the Bays. Especially since there is a new gunslinger (Stafford) out West.

LA has their, "Field General" ! One who can make better desicions under durress and thrives at improvisation. No more, "deer-in-headlight" looks from the QB position on this Rams team. This QB doesnt appear to have a voice in his head crying,"Their gonna get me! If I just throw it up for grabs they wont hit me. I get paid regardless. Right?".

As far as the NFC West goes; I think that LA boasts the most complete roster (even if much of their roster lacks experience). Let's take a jog through the West to confirm my honest opinion.

Starting (alphabetically) with the Arizona (AZ) Cardinals:
This team aggressively persued experienced talent upgrades on both sides of the football.

On Offense they added a 2nd future Hall of Fame (HOF) wide receiver (WR) in A.J. Green.

Although...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Forums Topics Posts Last Post
Topics: 36,469 Posts: 400,640
36,469 400,640
Sub-Forums:
Ram Uniforms (32/541)
Bash and Game forum (209/2,476)
HELP (248/1,415)
Topics: 7,199 Posts: 81,254
7,199 81,254
Topics: 4,779 Posts: 31,579
Last Post: DET - Jared Goff
4,779 31,579
macrammer

Trending

Collapse

• RamDez
    by RamDez
    3 hours ago
  • cowboyhater
    Pick todays game: Rams at Colts
    by cowboyhater
    I was very glad to be wrong about the Rams offense last week.

This week:

Rams 31 Colts 16...
    3 hours ago
  • badmoforamfan
    A dive into the NFC west
    by badmoforamfan
    Upon completing a deep dive into the rosters of the NFC West....I have concluded that in a vaccume the Rams win the division outright!

Let me illustrate what kinda vaccume that I am talking about. What I mean by that is that if there are no covid issues, no regression of play by individuals who's contribution is counted upon (i.e. J. Fuller), and of course most importatntly no significant injuries.

Cross those 3 things off list of "things that can go wrong" then you can pencil in LA as NFC Champs and a massive hurdle cleared in the race to the Super Bowl (SB).

The Rams proved that their 2020 version could go toe to toe with Tampa Bay (TB).

Green Bay (GB) showed out in 2020 preforming on another level and although I thought the Rams had a good chance in last years playoff loss; LA would need all of it's stars to attempt to match said level. It appeared obvious (even if the majority of Ram fans were in denial) that LA needed an upgrade at Quarterback (QB). If they didn't want to miss the window opened by a couple of generational defensive Superstars.

You cannot win on defense alone in this league, not anymore. You have to be able to counter the punches landed by the oppositions offense. The Rams got the QB to match GB's weight class.

Can anyone honestly say that Aaron Rodgers would prefer his offensive weapons to that of LA's? If it was 1 for 1 perhaps, but not when comparing complete arsenals. Lets play the "greater than" game.
    Does Alligator Aaron eat the greater value?
    1 Adams < 1 Woods + 1 Kupp
    M. Lewis + R. Tonyan < T. Higbee
    Valdez Scantling, A. Lazard, R. Cobb < V. Jefferson, D. Jax, T. Atwell
    Aaron Jones, A.J. Dillon > D. Hendo, S. Michael

Which would you prefer?
    Mathew Stafford (33yrs old) vs. Aaron Rodgers (38yrs old)

The 2021 NFC SB representative is...?
    I think the Rams have more than a sluggers chance. They match up well w/ the Bays. Especially since there is a new gunslinger (Stafford) out West.

LA has their, "Field General" ! One who can make better desicions under durress and thrives at improvisation. No more, "deer-in-headlight" looks from the QB position on this Rams team. This QB doesnt appear to have a voice in his head crying,"Their gonna get me! If I just throw it up for grabs they wont hit me. I get paid regardless. Right?".

As far as the NFC West goes; I think that LA boasts the most complete roster (even if much of their roster lacks experience). Let's take a jog through the West to confirm my honest opinion.

Starting (alphabetically) with the Arizona (AZ) Cardinals:
    This team aggressively persued experienced talent upgrades on both sides of the football.

On Offense they added a 2nd future Hall of Fame (HOF) wide receiver (WR) in A.J. Green.

Although...
    3 hours ago
  • Nick
    Rams vs. Colts: McVay, Stafford aim to continue offensive roll
    by Nick
    Rams vs. Colts matchups: Sean McVay, Matthew Stafford aim to continue offensive roll
    BY GARY KLEIN
    STAFF WRITER
    SEPT. 19, 2021 4 AM PT

Breaking down how the Rams (1-0) and the Indianapolis Colts (0-1) match up heading into their game at 10 a.m. Pacific time Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. The game will be carried on Fox (Channel 11).

When Rams have the ball: It might be difficult for quarterback Matthew Stafford to improve upon his opening-week performance when he passed for 321 yards and three touchdowns in a 34-14 victory over the Chicago Bears. In that game, receivers Van Jefferson and Cooper Kupp caught long touchdown passes, and Robert Woods a short one. Look for coach Sean McVay to show the Colts — and future opponents — that the playbook also will include longer routes for Woods, veteran deep threat DeSean Jackson and perhaps rookie Tutu Atwell as the offense expands. Also keep an eye on running back Sony Michel, who should become more involved. Michel, a fourth-year pro acquired in a late preseason trade with the New England Patriots, got only one carry in the opener because McVay said short scoring drives and flow of the game dictated that Darrell Henderson remain on the field. The Colts gave up four touchdown passes and 140 yards rushing in their 28-16 season-opening loss to the Seattle Seahawks. All-Pro tackle DeForest Buckner and All-Pro linebacker Darius Leonard are top players for a unit under the direction of defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus.

When Colts have the ball: Colts coach Frank Reich was the Philadelphia Eagles’ offensive coordinator in 2017 when quarterback Carson Wentz set the team on its way to the Super Bowl before he was injured in a late-season game against the Rams. Now Reich is the coach and Wentz the quarterback for a Colts team that features an offensive line considered among the best in the NFL. Wentz passed for 251 yards and two touchdowns in his Colts debut against the Seahawks. Running backs Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines can be a formidable duo. As a rookie last season, Taylor rushed for 1,169 yards and 11 touchdowns, but the Seahawks limited him to 56 yards in 17 carries. With receiver T.Y. Hilton sidelined because of a neck injury, the running backs and former USC receiver Michael Pittman are Wentz’s top targets. The Rams’ pass rush is led by tackle Aaron Donald, who helped free outside linebacker Justin Hollins for two sacks against the Bears. Linebacker Kenny Young tipped a pass that led to an interception, and Young also recovered a fumble caused by Hollins’ strip sack. Cornerback Jalen Ramsey influenced and ended plays from multiple angles. The Rams, however, let David Montgomery rush for 108 yards, including a 41-yard run in the first series.

When they kick: In the opener, Kupp served as the returner on the Bears’ only punt, ostensibly because there was no return opportunity. Atwell could make his debut as the...
    7 hours ago
  • Nick
    Rams' 4 biggest causes for concern vs. Colts in Week 2
    by Nick
    Rams' 4 biggest causes for concern vs. Colts in Week 2
    Cameron DaSilva
    September 17, 2021 10:22 am PT

Standing in the way of a 2-0 start for the Los Angeles Rams are the Indianapolis Colts, who lost their season opener to the Seattle Seahawks. As unimpressive as the Colts were in Week 1, they’re a talented team that made the playoffs a season ago and could pose some problems for Los Angeles.

They have a good offensive line (when healthy), a proven quarterback in Carson Wentz and a defense that boasts a great front seven. Indianapolis will be a tougher test for Los Angeles than the Bears were in the season opener.

Here are the Rams’ four biggest causes for concern in Sunday’s game against the Colts.

1. Quenton Nelson slowing down Aaron Donald

If there’s one player in the NFL who can slow down Donald on his own, it’s Nelson. The two-time All-Pro guard is as good as offensive linemen come, boasting the power and technique to take on even the best pass rushers.

Donald will get opportunities to rush against the Colts’ tackles and their other guard, too, but with Nelson playing left guard and Donald typically rushing from the right side of the defense as a 3-technique, these two will be matching up often on Sunday.

If the Colts can neutralize Donald without having to double him, it will go a long way toward protecting Carson Wentz and blocking the Rams’ other pass rushers such as Leonard Floyd and Justin Hollins.

2. Containing Colts’ running backs

The Colts have two dynamic running backs who are both playmakers on the ground and as receivers with Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines. They caught 12 passes combined and carried it 26 times in the season opener against Seattle, gaining 198 of the Colts’ 336 yards from scrimmage.

The Rams must contain them, especially when it comes to the passing game. Carson Wentz looked their way often in the opener, targeting them with 15 of his 38 pass attempts. Kenny Young, Troy Reeder and Taylor Rapp will need to be at the top of their game and wrap up in the open field because yards after contact will lead to big plays, which the Rams must prevent.

David Montgomery had success against the Rams with 118 total yards on 17 touches, but limiting the production of Indianapolis’ backs will be critical.

3. Early kickoff on the road

Early 1 p.m. ET games in the Eastern Time Zone are typically a huge challenge for West Coast teams, but that hasn’t been the case for the Rams under Sean McVay. They were 4-0 in 1 p.m. ET games on the East Coast from 2017-2019 before dropping two of their four such games in 2020 to the Bills and Dolphins.

It’s possible the Rams will come out a bit sluggish due to the time change and early kickoff, but don’t expect it to be a huge factor.

4. Protecting Matthew Stafford from DeForest...
    7 hours ago
Working...
X