Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State's Hali is from family of survivors

INDIANAPOLIS

Tamba Hali hasn't seen his mother since 1994, but that - he hopes - is about to change. While Hali fled to the United States to stay with his father, his mother stayed behind in war-torn Liberia.

"I just want her to be by my side," said Hali, a defensive end from Penn State. "It's been tough. First going through life with your mother; then going through the second half of your 22 years without her. You deal with it and work through it. That's how life is. Full of adversity."

Few players at the NFL scouting combine have been exposed to the level of adversity faced by Hali and his family.

"The first time we got attacked (by rebels), the plane came down," Hali recalled. "We were sitting there. I remember my mother was cooking. Gunfire just started erupting all over the place."

Such incidents happened with increasing frequency in Liberia, then in the midst of a civil war.

"So we went into hiding," Hali said. "My stepdad got a car, and we went to a village far away from the city. ... Certain people would hide us. We'd have places to stay in little huts. You find ways to manage. You find ways to eat, cook and all of that. We'd spend six months there and then come back out."

When military action heated up again, they'd head back to the countryside. Sometimes death was all around.

"Sometimes it would be just one (body)," Hali said. "Sometimes you'd see a stack of bodies sitting on the side of the road while you were walking. A lot of kids (in Liberia) weren't educated. A lot of them would be running around killing people for no reason.

"It's hard to explain to people what it's like to actually be in that situation, feeling like, 'Maybe today I could die, or see other people get killed.'"

A couple of years ago, his mother, Rachel Keita, was shot in the leg.

"She was walking with three or four other friends," Hali said. "They were walking in Monrovia. What I hear is that three other people got killed, and she got shot in the knee. By God's grace she's still alive."

It may be difficult for Hali to fully explain his experiences to others. But he's getting plenty of practice during the interview sessions with teams at the combine.

"We interviewed him (Friday) night," said New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi. "I was just overwhelmed with not only his story, but the way he told it. He's such a thoughtful, intellectual, moving person. ... I tell you what, you could hear a pin drop in our interview room when he was done telling us (his) story."

Many chapters remain in Hali's story, many of which might deal with his burgeoning football career. A defensive tackle his first two seasons at Penn State, Hali blossomed after switching to defensive end as a junior. It all came together last season, when he was Big Ten defensive lineman of the year. He registered a league-high 11 sacks and was second in the league with 17 tackles for loss.

Although he lacks ideal size at 6-3 and 275 pounds, Hali is quick off the edge, quick in pursuit, and has a nonstop motor.

"He's just a relentless 'heart' player with a lot of talent," Accorsi said.

Hali is considered by many to be the second-best defensive end in the draft, behind Mario Williams of North Carolina State. That should make him a certain first-round selection who probably will be on the board at No. 11 overall when the Rams pick.

His mother doesn't know much about American football or the fact that Hali will soon be a millionaire.

"She has no clue what's going on," Hali said. "If it were soccer, maybe. I told her about (football) on the phone, and she said it sounds rough. I said, 'Well, I really like playing it now.' She said, 'Be careful.'"

Hali's father, Henry, teaches chemistry and physics in New Jersey. Hali's mother and father are divorced. Both have remarried.

According to Hali, only blood relatives can file papers to bring a person over to the United States from Liberia. As soon as he becomes a U.S. citizen, he will do that.

"I filled out all of the paperwork and am just waiting to get called to take the exam," Hali said.

Once Hali gets his NFL signing bonus and gets his mother out of Africa, she will find life in the United States much different from what she was used to in Liberia.

"It's going to be drastic for her," Hali said. "She's going to go from living in a hut to living in a nice home. I hope that will be able to explain a lot."

Re: Penn State's Hali is from family of survivors

i don't know if i would want Hali right now, he would be a good fit as an end in a 4-3, but we might have to get players that can fit in both the 4-3 and 3-4
    @EssexRam_

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsFan16
      Hali's Hope
      by RamsFan16
      Hali's Hope
      Sunday, February 26, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
      Senior Writer

INDIANAPOLIS Ė As a broadcast journalism major at Penn State, perhaps Tamba Hali is the best person to tell you this story.

Maybe itís more believable that way. Maybe it will tug at your heartstrings a little harder if it comes from him. The only problem with that is Hali would be telling a story about himself. A story that seems too unreal. His is a story of pain, a story of emotion and, ultimately, a story of triumph and joy.

On the surface, Hali doesnít seem much different from any of the rest of the prospects in Indianapolis. Heís 6í3, 275 pounds, about average for a defensive end. But there is nothing average about the path Hali took to arrive in Indianapolis.

ďI was just overwhelmed, not only with his story, but the way he told it," Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi said. "He's such a thoughtful, intellectual, moving person. You could hear a pin drop in our interview room when he was done telling his story."

Haliís story begins in Liberia, located on the west coast of Africa. It is there where Hali was born to parents Rachel Keita and father Henry. He lived in the capital city of Monrovia for the first part of his life.

Not that Haliís upbringing was going to be normal anyway, his father departed to become a professor at Fairleigh Dickinson University in 1985. Tamba was 2. As he grew older, Hali began to see and understand the horrors of war.

Liberia was in a state of civil war. According to Hali, people were running around killing each other for no particular reason. People who had no real basis for fighting were fighting. To say the least, it served as a scary awakening for a young Hali.

ďItís hard to explain to somebody what itís like on the other side when you havenít really gone through it,Ē Hali said. ďItís hard to explain to people what itís like to actually be in that situation and feeling like maybe today I could die or see other people get killed.Ē

Hali vividly recalls the first time he and his family were attacked by rebels. He remembers the sound of a plane coming down right at him while he sat with his family. As his mom was cooking, gunfire broke out all around him. In a haze of bullets flying around him, Hali started to see the deep and terrifying effects of war.

That became an everyday practice and it became clear that if Hali and his family wanted to have any kind of future, they must flee. So, Hali, his mother and siblings hopped in his stepfatherís car (his mother remarried after her husband left for the United States).

They drove and drove until stopping in a village far from Monrovia. After six months in the village, the family would come out of hiding to find a place that was finally starting to cease. But that didnít last and the family was forced...
      -02-26-2006, 06:14 PM
    • DJRamFan
      Kiwanuka everybody's All-American -- but Uganda on mind, too
      by DJRamFan
      Aug. 26, 2005
      By Dennis Dodd
      CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
      Tell Dennis your opinion!

Preseason All-American team
      The first memory Mathias Kiwanuka has of Uganda is vomiting.

"The first impression was the smell," Boston College's senior defensive end said. "I was warned about it, but I don't think there's anything that can prepare you for it. There's some kind of plant in the air. It's an adjustment. The plane de-pressurized, I smelled it, and immediately I threw up."

Mathias Kiwanuka is eyeing a huge season as Boston College joins the ACC. (Getty Images)
      Kiwanuka lost his lunch but gained perspective as a third-grader while visiting his parents' homeland in 1991. Culture shock doesn't even begin to describe what he encountered.

Poverty, disease, strife -- and incredible heroism. As the grandchild of Uganda's first prime minister, Mathias quickly found out he was a descendent of a legend. Benedicto Kiwanuka took office in 1962 after Uganda won its independence from the United Kingdom. Ten years later, he was assassinated by dictator Idi Amin during a military coup.

"(A) number of people back in Uganda ... would just come up and shake my hand, saying, 'I have a tremendous amount of respect for your grandfather,'" Mathias said. "People appreciate honest, genuine individuals. From my standpoint it motivated me not necessarily to aspire to be a big political figure. But if you can change one person's life that dramatically, a couple of decades later ... and shake your grandchild's hand, that's something that is unmatched."

Mathias Kiwanuka is as American as a Big Mac, but a part of his heart is in Uganda to this day.

"Seeing the lifestyle at that young of an age, not having the things that America has," he said. "It's hard for children, especially, to understand that.

"There's a lot of things that could be changed -- the AIDS epidemic. You think, why isn't anybody doing anything about that? It kind of keeps you grounded."

The NFL was slobbering over him last year when the kid they call "Kiwi" could have easily forsaken his senior year and been drafted high. A member of CBS SportsLine.com's preseason All-America team, Kiwanuka is attempting to become the defensive player of the year in two conferences.

Posting 11Ĺ sacks and 25 tackles for loss earned him that honor in the Big East last year. With Boston College moving to the ACC, Kiwanuka already has been named the conference's preseason defensive player of the year.

Why stop there? Kiwanuka goes into 2005 as the best defensive player in the country.

He grew up playing AAU basketball back in Indiana. Only halfway through his senior year did...
      -08-28-2005, 08:27 AM
    • txramsfan
      Feeling down? Read this.....from PB, MO
      by txramsfan
      http://www.darnews.com/articles/2005/05/24/news/news1.txt

PBHS grad shocked to see mom there: A walk to remember

PBHS graduate Eric Scott poses for a picture with his mother, Sandra, who has Multiple Sclerosis. Scott had no idea his mother would be attending the 2005 graduation ceremony Thursday. (DAR/Paul Davis)
      By JACKIE HARDER ~ Staff Writer
      All those years Eric Scott wore a Poplar Bluff Mules uniform, whether it was football, wrestling or track - his biggest fan was never in the stands to cheer him on.

Eric's mother, Sandra, never attended any honor assemblies or awards banquets. She never came to any of Eric's JROTC competitions. She didn't get to see her only son make the grand march at senior prom.

For the most part, Sandra has missed all the "big events" in her son's life. She was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis about the same time she became pregnant. Over the past 18 years, her disease has progressed to the point where she has been bed-bound for years. She must have an ambulance bed in order to be transported, as well as be accompanied by a medical aide or her husband, Keith.

Though Eric often brought home video tapes for his mom to watch, Sandra would have given anything to have been there in person. As his high school graduation approached, Eric had no reason to think this event would be different.

But thanks to the thoughtfulness of friends and the kindness of strangers, Sandra was given the opportunity to attend Eric's graduation last Thursday at the Black River Coliseum.

"I had no idea she would be there until I walked in the door. It was awesome," Eric said. "It's hard to explain in words what that meant. It was amazing."

Sandra, too, has a difficult time putting her feelings into words, mainly due to her loss of motor skills. Even so, her emotions are written all over her face.

"It meant the world to me," she said. "I am so proud of him."

She has every reason to be proud. Eric earned a full-ride, four-year JROTC scholarship to attend Arkansas State University this fall. He has eight varsity letters and graduated with a college prepatory certificate. Sandra and Keith Scott's walls are covered with Eric's awards and honors, dating back to his days on Little League baseball teams.

"But I don't think we could have been prouder than we were at graduation. We are so thankful she got to go," Keith said, smiling at his wife. "I know it meant the world to her. Eric will only graduate from high school one time ..."

"And I got to see it," Sandra said, finishing her husband's thoughts.

The idea of bringing Sandra to the PBHS Class of 2005 graduation ceremony was that of Patty Boyers. Boyers became acquainted with the Scott family a few years...
      -05-24-2005, 01:58 PM
    • general counsel
      robey coleman article on espn
      by general counsel
      Someone please post the robey coleman article on espn. Incredibly inspiring story of how he has tried to overcome the death of his mother at age 44 and his newborn son earlier this season.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
      -01-17-2019, 10:25 AM
    • MauiRam
      Daniel Fell's wife on ... NFL Wives
      by MauiRam
      NFL wives

Just down the winding street from our house is a charming little school called North Elementary that my family knows very, very well. It's home to the little playground with the grey "spinny thing" that Lennon has loved (to watch, not ride) since he has had an opinion. Home to a sprawling field where Danny and I used to take our sweet pup to run the furniture-chewing willies out of her. Next to a rustic, wooded nook where we had our engagement photos taken back in 2009 and about twenty years before that it was where I played kickball and four-square as a rambunctious fifth grader. North is where we meet 95% of Lennon's playdates and where he gets 99% of his knee scrapes. And when it's just me and him, we make sure to swing by Starbucks on our way there, even though it's not actually on our way. This morning was one of those days, he asked and I conceded. It was chilly out but it was just us, so we took full advantage.

When we got to the schoolyard we sat down on our favorite bench and Lennon ate a small slice of pumpkin bread before running off to join in a game of tag. As the heat of my latte warmed my fingers I was thankful that I'd won the morning jacket debate. The clouds in the distance had become the clouds overhead and the sun had been reduced to a bright spot in the corner of sky. A mom called out to her daughter, requesting a break from swing-pushing, and then walked towards me with her hands in her pockets and a smile on her face. She asked if the seat next to me was taken and then sat down.

We chatted a bit about the weather, about Lennon and then about her daughter. It was the usual Park-Mom conversation. How old is he? What school does she go to? Where do you guys live? We talked about the foreign concept of "TK," a new program called Transitional Kindergarten, and then somehow started talking about local high school ratings. Lennon ran over to me, yelled that he was "it" and threw his New York Giants ball cap on my lap. The woman looked down at the hat, raised an eyebrow, and then asked if we had ties to the East Coast. Before I knew it we were knee deep in football speak. She vented about her issues with the *****' offseason acquisitions, or lack thereof, and I told her a little about why Danny was excited to return to the Giants for another year. I asked her how she liked the new Santa Clara stadium and she asked me which city I've enjoyed the most on our journey. Before I could respond, she grinned eagerly and placed her hand on my shoulder. "Wait, what's being an NFL wife like?"

I smiled and shrugged. The answer that I have bookmarked in my brain for that oft-asked question rolled off of my tongue. I told her that there are proverbial ups and downs that come with being married to a professional athlete and that the chaotic lifestyle keeps me on my toes. That sometimes it's fun and exciting and other times it's a ball of...
      -07-17-2015, 12:28 AM
    Working...
    X