Free Agents ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Agents ?

with so many free agents still out there are the rams looking at any ? ? ?

takeo spikes ?

Jerimaha Trotter ?

any news ?

I know we still have some cash open

what's the 411 ? ?

Re: Free Agents ?

Those guys don't really interest me (unless they come with time machines).

Comment

I'm sure we're looking for some depth. But thats as far as it goes.

Comment

We should be looking for another starting safety to go with O.J. and a decent starting C.

That's what I don't get. The coaching staff bellyached about the O line all year last year and what was the biggest signing in the offseason? A kicker.

If this O line gets hurt again this year it's no ones fault but Linehan's when it comes to the record.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
          That's what I don't get. The coaching staff bellyached about the O line all year last year and what was the biggest signing in the offseason? A kicker.
          Jacob Bell, six-year, $36 million. Immediate starter at left guard. Ring a bell? ;)

Comment

Yes Nick, that rang a "Bell", however that's just one guy. One position. We were injured everywhere and only signed one O lineman. One.

Does that ring a bell?

Comment

Yes Nick, that rang a "Bell", however that's just one guy. One position. We were injured everywhere and only signed one O lineman. One.

Does that ring a bell?
              Which is probably why we drafted two guys, both of whom were very good value where we selected them.

We currently have four centers on the roster (five if you count Setterstrom should he move over), five offensive guards (again, four if Setterstrom moves to center), and seven offensive tackles. That's sixteen offensive linemen, which could increase to eighteen if Steussie and McCollum are brought back at some point.

Who are the other free agent offensive linemen you would have signed?

Comment

Here are some moves I would look into:

1. Try to trade for Bobby Carpenter (as mentioned in another thread).

2. Bring in Byron Leftwich for a tryout

3. Wait for the June 1 cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                  Which is probably why we drafted two guys, both of whom were very good value where we selected them.

We currently have four centers on the roster (five if you count Setterstrom should he move over), five offensive guards (again, four if Setterstrom moves to center), and seven offensive tackles. That's sixteen offensive linemen, which could increase to eighteen if Steussie and McCollum are brought back at some point.

Who are the other free agent offensive linemen you would have signed?
                  I would have signed Faneca also. Don't tell me the Rams care about spending money. Look what they gave Bennett.

Comment

I would have signed Faneca also. Don't tell me the Rams care about spending money. Look what they gave Bennett.
                    Well then what can I tell you? Spending $76 million this offseason on two offensive lineman was not going to happen, sorry. I would have liked to see them sign a center like Wiegmann, but they brought last year's starter back and sound as if they'll give him competition. It really was not a great pool of offensive line talent, and I suspect that will become the norm as long as team's have the cap room to hold on to their linemen either with new contracts or tags.

Comment

Caring and capability are two very different things, tx. This ain't MLB, the cap is what it is.

They signed Bell. They drafted two good value linemen. And of course, the addition of several players that went down to injury last year. Funny thing about the human body.......at the age most of these gentlemen are, it tends to heal.
                      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

To go along with what Nick and Hub said, Tx, Bennett filled and continues to fill a need. He's a former number one receiver who last year served as an injury guard and as a bad slot receiver because he's not, never has been, and never will be a good slot receiver. This year he's a starter and should be used with greater effectiveness, as you still have to double Holt. His contract is for a starter and that's what he is now. The Rams do care about spending money and hopefully now Bennett's contract will pay off.

As for Faneca, he got a contract that he'll never live up to in Jersey, and we could not afford to pay, unless you'd rather see some more salary cap cuts. Leonard Little comes to mind. Faneca was the most accomplished guard on the market, and Bell was the second. Not to mention, they both play the same position, so if we got them both, Bell would have to move to RG. Of course, this would then move two of last year starters into backup roles, where we have a couple perfectly fine guards, it's a center that we could use. As Nick said, Weigmann would have been very handy in helping everyone learn the new system.

Wanting Faneca in my mind is kind of like the beginning of this thread asking if we should pursue Takeo Spikes or Jeremiah Trotter. They're flashy names that win press conferences, not necessarily games. Personally, I'm rather happy that we didn't get Faneca, as I expect Bell to be much more worth his contract in the future than Faneca will be.
                        I believe!:ram:

Comment

We should be looking for another starting safety to go with O.J. and a decent starting C.

If this O line gets hurt again this year it's no ones fault but Linehan's when it comes to the record.

TX,

You seem to be unhappy with the Rams offensive line and I really do no understand why you and several others feel this way?

1st of all the Rams have 2 first round picks at TACKLES and though some are unhappy with Barron he has shown the potential to play RT/LT well. You have Pace who has been injury prone as of late but without question when healthy is one of the best....

Then... the Rams Richie who was projected as a 1st round lineman who was taken in the 3rd round. Then .... the Rams picked up Bell in free agency..... Do not forget the Rams p/u lineman in last years draft to go along with some veterans on the team.... Finally, the Rams selected some more talent in this years draft. Probably no starting talent but will add depth and can develop into future starters.

Not sure what more you could want unless you wanted the Rams to pass on Long and reach for another Tackle with the second pick in the draft.

The Rams have enough talent on the Offensive Line what they need more than anything is time working together to develop a cohesive unit.

Some of the best NFL offensive lines did not and I repeat did not have the most individually talented lineman but you put them together as a unit and thats why football is consider a team sport....

GO Rams

Comment

DD, I understand all those points and maybe I'm just frustrated with how the selections have panned out.....just like our DT picks panned out. I'm not sold on Incognito yet, he seems to be injury prone. Barron has talent but it just seems like his heart isn't into it.

It just seems to me that if it isn't the front office missing on DT selections, they whiff on the secondary or they swing and miss on the O line. I'm not necessarily down on the players and the coaching staff as much as I just don't understand the Front Office out there in Earth City.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                              Here are some moves I would look into:

1. Try to trade for Bobby Carpenter (as mentioned in another thread).

2. Bring in Byron Leftwich for a tryout

3. Wait for the June 1 cuts.
                              That's the bell that's ringing loud & clear for me.
                              sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                                PFW: Rams Free Agency Preview
                                by Nick
                                Not a whole lot of new information, but the info on converting Little's roster bonus into a signing bonus gives us an actual savings figure to contemplate. I'm not going to be holding my breath on an aggressive Rams free agency, maybe that means I'll be pleasantly surprised though. I'm just not convinced we're in a financial position to compete with some of these other organizations for the big name guys. We'll see, I suppose....
                                -02-26-2008, 02:53 PM
                              • ZigZagRam
                                2007 NFL Free Agent List
                                by ZigZagRam
                                Does anybody know where I can find a comprehensive list of players who are up for free agency in 2007?

It's never to early to start scouting for Zig's Wish List.
                                -09-14-2006, 02:30 PM
                              • eldfan
                                2009 Rams free agents - defense
                                by eldfan
                                2009 Rams free agents - defense
                                by VanRam on Feb 3, 2009 11:54 AM CST in 2009 Off-Season (SI)

Awhile back we took a look at the Rams players on offense that will be free agents this season, so with free agency just a few weeks away, it's a good time to review the Rams free agents on defense. There are some important names on this side of the ball. A new head coach who comes to the team as a successful defensive coordinator adds a little bit of an x-factor to the predictions game. Let's look at it from a fan perspective. What's likely to happen to this crop of free agent players?

Victor Adeyanju, DE, RFA - He made a good case this season to remain on the roster with a tireless work ethic and specialty for playing the run...if only he'd have had some support. As a restricted free agent, I can't imagine the Rams won't keep him. Plus, Spagnuolo's defense in NY had a bevy of ends he rotated in and out; Adeyanju seems to be a good fit for a rotation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sacks Interceptions Tackles
                                G Sacks YdsL Int Yds IntTD Solo Ast Total
                                2008 - Victor Adeyanju 14 2.0 11 0 0 0 40 7 47

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O.J. Atogwe, S - Atogwe's a ball hawking free safety who once again led the team in INTs (5), forced fumbles (6) and fumbles recovered (3). He needs to get better in coverage to be truly elite. The Rams have said they'll use the franchise or transition tag to keep Atogwe on the roster.

2008 - Oshiomogho Atogwe 16 0 0 5 91 0 75 7 82

Ron Bartell, CB - Bartell emerged as the Rams top CB - I don't mean that as a joke either - he was legit and the team has said they'd like to keep him on the roster by making him a reasonable offer. The question is will he accept or test the free agent waters, where teams always overpay? He's fond of Haslett, and might follow the former interim coach if he lands a gig elsewhere.

2008 - Ron Bartell 15 1.0 4 3 29 0 54 3 57

Fakhir Brown, CB - This was a weird saga, released from the team, then brought back...after Linehan got canned. Brown plays well enough in coverage, but if the team looks for a big free agent, they won't likely resign him.

-02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
                              • moklerman
                                NFC West overview by Scouts Inc.
                                by moklerman
                                Scouts Inc.

Scouts, Inc. has evaluated the rosters and salary-cap situations of all 32 NFL teams. With free agency approaching and draft right around the corner, here's how each NFC West team stacks up as it heads into the offseason.

Arizona Cardinals

2004 record: 6-10 (third place)
                                Having re-signed S Adrian Wilson during the season and with a fairly nondescript group of remaining free agents, the Cardinals don't have many crucial offseason decisions to make. They would like to keep RB Troy Hambrick and CB Renaldo Hill – but only at the right price. Hill could become a higher priority if nickel CB Duane Starks is a salary-cap casualty.
                                RB Emmitt Smith has just retired, and DE Peppi Zellner could be re-signed. One small surprise could be TE Freddie Jones. He is a good pass-catcher, but the Cardinals want more size and power at the position and might let him test the free-agent market.

QB Josh McCown, a restricted free agent, likely played well enough to earn a substantial tender offer from the club, but the Cardinals probably aren't ready to commit to a long-term deal. An extension for WR Anquan Boldin could be on the to-do list, even though he has two years remaining on his current contract.

Some cap casualties could be OT L.J. Shelton, FB James Hodgins, OLB Raynoch Thompson and franchise stalwart MLB Ronald McKinnon.

Expect wholesale changes in the offseason. Coach Dennis Green wants to turn over the roster, and Arizona has money to spend on a franchise back and a rebuilt offensive line. On defense, the Cardinals want to improve their matchup capability in the secondary by adding a cover cornerback or two.

San Francisco *****

2004 record: 2-14 (fourth place)
                                The ***** are a troubled franchise that enters the offseason almost $15 million over the salary cap. Before they start looking on the open market, they will need to address their own veterans who currently are under contract.
                                RB Kevan Barlow is due a huge bonus in March and could be traded, while DE Brandon Whiting, OT Scott Gragg and DT Bryant Young might be on the outs if the new front office decides to completely clean house and start over.

The only unrestricted free agent the ***** might consider re-signing is OLB Julian Peterson, an outstanding talent whose season-ending Achilles' injury could affect his value on the open market. Expect the team to work toward a long-term deal, but if that doesn't happen, it likely will franchise Peterson again.

WRs Curtis Conway and Cedrick Wilson could return at a reasonable price, but the ***** want to get even younger at the position. OC Brock Gutierrez – a solid backup – and CB Jimmy Williams and RB Terry Jackson – neither of whom are big contributors – might be brought back.

The reality
                                -02-08-2005, 09:58 PM
                              • Nick
                                PD: Rams don't expect a free-agent frenzy
                                by Nick
                                Rams don't expect a free-agent frenzy
                                4 hours ago • By Jim Thomas

One of the major themes at Rams Park this offseason is developing all those draft picks piled up in the past two years, not making a big splash in free agency.

“When you look at free agency, this is the year we’ve targeted probably to be a little less active ... than others,” Rams executive vice president Kevin Demoff said.

Then again, the Rams basically have said they’re not going wild in free agency every March since coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead joined forces with Demoff in 2012.

The results?

• The Rams invested a potential $96.5 million worth of contracts in free-agent pickups Cortland Finnegan, Scott Wells, and Kendall Langford in the first week of 2012 free agency. (Finnegan was told last week he’s being released.)

• In 2013, they invested a potential $79.4 million in free-agent pickups Jake Long and Jared Cook, and in re-signing William Hayes.

That’s not exactly Dan Snyder throwing dollars around like Monopoly money, as he did in days gone by in Washington, but it’s still a lot of money.

This time, it does sound like the Rams mean it when saying they’ll be less active in free agency.

“Our biggest ‘need’ is continuing to let our young guys develop and get experience,” Snead said. “There’s no glaring, glaring, glaring needs per se (on the roster). And then we have nine picks in the draft, and some good picks. And it’s a good draft. So you’re aware of that.”

As for free agency ....

“If there’s someone who can help us, who can fill a role, we’ll still explore that,” Demoff said.

The Rams did some “exploring” on Saturday, the first of the three-day negotiating period that serves as a prelude to the official start of free agency on Tuesday.

With clubs careful not to step over the line and risk tampering charges, not much information leaks out during the three-day window. But to no one’s surprise, the Rams did contact the agent for Tennessee cornerback Alterraun Verner on Saturday, according to league sources.

It’s only natural considering Verner was drafted by Fisher in 2010 in Tennessee and played for several current Rams assistants there. In addition, new Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was with Verner last year in Tennessee and spoke glowingly about him last month during his introductory news conference in St. Louis.

But the Rams have far from a clear playing field on Verner. The Tennessean in Nashville reported that Detroit, Minnesota, the New York Giants, New York Jets and Pittsburgh also made inquiries.

One possible alternative for the Rams if they don’t sign Verner was swept off the market Saturday night when cornerback Sam Shields re-signed with Green Bay. Initial reports of contract terms were an eye-opening four years and $39 million,...
                                -03-09-2014, 01:24 PM
                              Working...
                              X