Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JAGS DROP FORMER STARTERS PASHOS, WILLIAMS (9:47 p.m. ET)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAGS DROP FORMER STARTERS PASHOS, WILLIAMS (9:47 p.m. ET)

JAGS DROP FORMER STARTERS PASHOS, WILLIAMS (9:47 p.m. ET)

The Jacksonville Jaguars have cut right tackle Tony Pashos and cornerback Brian Williams, both former starters.

Both players signed lucrative free-agent contracts in recent years, but were beaten out by rookies during the preseason.

Pashos started 31 games the last two years. He struggled last season, though, and the Jaguars drafted offensive tackles Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton with their top two picks. Pashos moved to guard in Thursday night's preseason finale and played well, but Jacksonville asked him to play for less money and he refused, his agent said Saturday.

Williams started 45 games the last three years, but was behind rookie Derek Cox this fall and too expensive to keep as a nickel back.

-- The Associated Press

They seem like they'd both be solid pickups for the Rams?
    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Re: JAGS DROP FORMER STARTERS PASHOS, WILLIAMS (9:47 p.m. ET)

Originally posted by Varg6 View Post
    They seem like they'd both be solid pickups for the Rams?
    Maybe Williams, but I don't see how Pashos contributes to this team with Smith emerging as this year's starter @ RT.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
      Maybe Williams, but I don't see how Pashos contributes to this team with Smith emerging as this year's starter @ RT.
      True, I was thinking probably just pure depth, depending on the cost and everything...if the price is right.

Comment

Williams has already been snagged by Atlanta, reuniting him with former Jags DC Mike Smith.

Comment

Damn, that would've been a nice pickup imo

Comment

If Pashos is still looking for starter money, he's probably not someone we would be interested in. Brian Williams and the Falcons is about as good a match as they come. Mike Smith's Falcons were in bad shape at corner, and then one of his starters from last year just happens to come available.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamBill
              Mum's the word for Gregg Williams on Rams/PD
              by RamBill
              Mum's the word for Gregg Williams on Rams
              ē By Jim Thomas

Mum's the word for Gregg Williams on Rams : Stltoday

During his introductory press conference as the new senior assistant/defense for the Tennessee Titans, Gregg Williams was asked what went wrong in St. Louis. Williams sidestepped the question like a pass-rusher eluding a blitz pickup.

ďWell, the thing with that is ó No. 1 ó this is my first day back,Ē Williams told reporters Thursday in Nashville. ďI havenít talked to anybody. Part of the (suspension) deal is youíre not supposed to talk to anybody. Thatís not for me to know.

ďI havenít talked with anybody in that organization. Iím just happy with the opportunity. . .the fact that I can be here. I havenít talked about it. This is my first day back in the NFL.Ē

Which is an interesting reply. If he hasnít talked with the Rams, how then did he learn that the Rams didnít want him back?

One way around direct communication would've been for the Rams to inform NFL commissioner Roger Goodell that they weren't bringing back Williams, and then for the commissioner to inform Williams.

Williams had time left on his Rams contract, but there is language in all contracts dealing with suspensions, and in this case a team's right to void the contract because of a suspension.
              -02-08-2013, 07:59 PM
            • r8rh8rmike
              NFL Reinstates Gregg Williams
              by r8rh8rmike
              NFL reinstates Gregg Williams

Updated: February 7, 2013, 12:29 PM ET
              ESPN.com news services

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The NFL has reinstated Gregg Williams after suspending him for his role in the Saints' bounty scandal, and the Titans have added him to their coaching staff.

The NFL ended Williams' indefinite suspension Thursday and notified the Titans they could hire him. Tennessee also announced in the same release that Williams had been hired as a senior assistant coach for its defense.

"He will bring a great deal of defensive knowledge and energy to our staff. The decision to bring him here only came after going through a thoughtful and thorough process," Titans coach Mike Munchak said in a statement.

Commissioner Roger Goodell says Williams accepted responsibility for his role in the bounty program and his commitment to never be involved in any pay for performance system as reasons for allowing him to return.

Goodell also said in a statement that Williams must meet all league rules and will be subject to "periodic monitoring to confirm his compliance."
              -02-07-2013, 09:40 AM
            • Varg6
              Ricky Williams signs...
              by Varg6
              Ricky Williams signs with the Toronto Argonauts

hmm well where else would he go, he's been suspended from the NFL..I say good for him
              -05-28-2006, 09:12 PM
            • Nick
              Gregg Williams leaves Jacksonville without a contract
              by Nick
              From the Washington Times....
              -01-31-2008, 04:10 PM
            • MauiRam
              Williams out of the mix ...
              by MauiRam
              http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Oh well ... he probably wouldn't have come here anyway.

-01-03-2006, 10:19 AM
            Working...
            X