Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colts president Bill Polian on Florida QB Tim Tebow: Perfect fit as a Wildcat QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colts president Bill Polian on Florida QB Tim Tebow: Perfect fit as a Wildcat QB

Taken from his weekly chat on the Colts' official web page...

Q: Can you comment on University of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, and what do you see as his NFL future?

A: First of all without reference to anyone, let me remind everybody that what you hear on television and what you see on television is often not what we see and hear and look at it on tape as scouts. (Those are) two different worlds. Television, especially the sports channels, is in the business of creating stories and creating ratings. Many times they will construct players out of whole cloth who really have no reason to be stars. I can think of a couple that come to mind. That can happen. I'm not saying that's the case with Tim Tebow, but it can happen, so don't be swayed by that. I remind you – perhaps the greatest of all examples – that when [Colts quarterback] Peyton Manning was coming out in the draft, he did not win the Heisman Trophy. I don't know who won that year, but it wasn't Peyton Manning, and he was considered by the so-called experts, 'A product of the system,' a guy with a 'weak arm,' and a guy who's ceiling, who's growth potential as a pro, was severely limited. Ryan Leaf was considered by far the better prospect, by far the better athlete, by far the better leader. You know the rest of the story, so with that sort of caveat, I'll say this: 'I think Tim Tebow is a really good football player.' If you were going to run the Wildcat offense enough to say that you needed a specialized Wildcat quarterback to do it, who could both run the ball and withstand the pounding that you have to take in the National Football League and throw it effectively from the Wildcat, I think Tim Tebow would be a heck of a guy. If you're going to take your offense and say, 'We're going to do what the Miami Dolphins do; we're going to run this 45, maybe 50 percent, maybe 60 percent of the time,' then he's the perfect guy for you. I don't know where you'd take him in the draft, but he fits perfectly there. I've heard other people say he could be a great goal-line and short-yardage running back. I believe that to be the case. I've heard people say they think he can be a very good tight end. I believe that would be the case. I don't know how he catches the ball, but I presume and think he's a good enough athlete that that would not be a problem. There's room for Tim Tebow, if you wanted to install the Wildcat as a part of a specific and integral part of your offense. He'd be perfect for you.
    Prior to becoming President of the Colts in 1997, Polian served as director of pro personnel and later the GM of the Buffalo Bills from 1986-1993, followed by a stint as GM of the Carolina Panthers from '94 to '96. He's a five-time winner of the NFL's Executive of the Year award.

Re: Colts president Bill Polian on Florida QB Tim Tebow: Perfect fit as a Wildcat QB

The thing I LOVE about Tim Tebow is his attitude. I really wish there was another QB in this draft with that attitude. He's always fired up, leading, and winning. That's why I'm so high on him, is his attitude and that he wins games. We need a QB like that, we need more players that show leadership and fire.

Comment

Re: Colts president Bill Polian on Florida QB Tim Tebow: Perfect fit as a Wildcat QB

Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
      The thing I LOVE about Tim Tebow is his attitude. I really wish there was another QB in this draft with that attitude. He's always fired up, leading, and winning. That's why I'm so high on him, is his attitude and that he wins games. We need a QB like that, we need more players that show leadership and fire.
      I would love to grab Tebow round 2.

Comment

I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing this kind of nonsense. Tim Tebow is fired up... great. He's the only QB who shows emotion on the sideline, right? He's a leader... yeah, that kind of comes with the job He's a winner... right, and that has nothing to do with the fact that UF has great talent throughout their roster.

Tebow may very well be the most over-hyped player of all time.

Let's just hope he doesn't cry too much when he's holding a clipboard on the sideline - the writing on the paper might smudge.

Comment

Originally posted by tholtfan81 View Post
          i would love to grab tebow round 2.
          Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would we want to spend a high second round pick on a guy who, at best, would be a situational-gimmick play guy?

Comment

He's always fired up
            So was Haslett
            leading
            So is most every QB on the planet
            winning
            That might have something to do with having the top-ranked Defense in the nation on the field while he is sipping Gatorade.

I like the kid; I honestly do. I hope he is successful in his endeavors. But I just don't see him being a great NFL QB.
            The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Geez. I'm so sick of Tim Tebow. I don't want that cry baby running back with an arm to play on this team.

Comment

Why the hell is it a big deal that he cried? He hates to lose, big frickin deal.

And if leading came with the job, why is Marc Bulger, or why did Marc Bulger start on this team?

Comment

And if leading came with the job, why is Marc Bulger, or why did Marc Bulger start on this team?
                  Originally posted by Jim Thomas View Post
                  A very interesting post. It's funny because most of the players who work with Bulger on a daily basis seem to insist that he IS a leader. Yet most of the Bulger critics, who aren't on the practice field, in the locker room, or in the games with him seem to insist that he ISN'T a leader. I wonder who's right.
                  So I hope you weren't suggesting that Bulger isn't a leader...

Comment

Why the hell is it a big deal that he cried? He hates to lose, big frickin deal.
                    The crying I can live with; he's emotional and hates to lose. So did Vermeil. I'm down with that.

What bothers me is his inability to throw NFL passes. He can cry all he wants if he would just make NFL worthy passes.
                    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

The thing about the crying incident was that the Gators still have another game to play.

I mean... how often can a QB cry before it becomes an issue. After every game? Would that be too much? How about after every incomplete pass?

Seriously, though... he's just not a good pro starting QB prospect.

Comment

Well heck, be more specific then ;)!

Apologize for a split second blow-up. He doesn't make EVERY NFL throw, but I can see him being a backup.

I wouldn't mind him in Round 2, it's not my top choice with Tony Pike, Dan Levour and McCoy rated higher ( for me ), but it wouldn't set me off.
                        Last edited by RamsFan16; -12-09-2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

He has a bad release on the ball.
                          Throws the worst spiral i have ever seen from a starting QB.
                          Thinks he can run to much, he isnt fast enough for that to happen in the nfl.
                          Gives up alot of turnover at the college level.(atleast he does when i see him play, about 4 games this year.)
                          He knocked my highschool football team out of the florida playoffs his senior year at HS, and im still pissed.

That is why i dont want tim tebow on the rams.

Comment

yeah he could be decent as a "wildcat" qb...which i want no part of, so i'm not interested. wouldn't waste a 7th round pick on the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                              Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would we want to spend a high second round pick on a guy who, at best, would be a situational-gimmick play guy?
                              Because it is explicitly written in the Rams' franchise agreement that they must screw up their draft at some point.:o

The Rams should not burn a second round pick on a guy who projects as a career backup.

Comment