Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Early NFL Draft Preview: St. Louis Rams

by Seth Cox Seth CoxCorrespondent

Who would you like to see the Rams take?

Jimmy Clausen Jake Locker Sam Bradford Ndamukong Suh Eric Berry Other (pleas list in comment section) vote to see results As another season comes to an agonizingly slow close for the St. Louis Rams and their fans, I will look into the my crystal ball to see how they will be going to get their future back into place.

To start, we need to know the positions of strength, so we can rule out those prospects.

We also need to know what makes the most sense going forward.

To me—and I am no expert nor will I claim to be—they need a franchise player to come in.

They have a more-than-dominant running back. Steven Jackson is a special player with amazing talent, but he needs help, and, more importantly, incentive to stay.

The Rams have looked better along the offensive line this year, only allowing 28 sacks, but more importantly helping get Jackson to over 1200 yards through 12 games.

Conversely, the defense has not played well against the run and they will need to address the situation in the off season.

There are some nice names that could be plugged into the defensive line and make an impact, more so than there is at the top of the draft.

That, and I really don't think the Rams are in a position where drafting another interior lineman will put them over the top.

So where do they go with their first pick?

I would love to see them take a quarterback, and this is a relatively strong draft at the position.

Jimmy Clausen is the most NFL-ready QB, and would be a welcomed addition to the Rams' team.

Jake Locker is the most intriguing of the prospects, as he possesses the most overall talent. But he has not shown enough, at least to me, to warrant a top-three selection.

Sam Bradford has been on many teams' radar for a long time, but there are still questions about his shoulder.

If the Rams are not completely infatuated with Clausen or Locker, they could look to trade the pick to a team that is and draft Bradford in the 6-10 range.

If a QB is not the pick, which I really think it should be, they would have a couple of incredible talents to choose from.

Tennessee defensive back Eric Berry is the best prospect in the draft. He will be a game changer from the time he comes into the league.

Ndamukong Suh has been the most dominant college defensive player this year, and would fit in nicely on the Rams' defensive front seven.

Beyond those five players, I do not think there is anyone that would address any immediate needs for the Rams.

But that is just the first round of the NFL draft. Where could they find help in free agency and round two of the draft?

A couple of names really stand out:

Johnny Jolly and Ryan Pickett. Both have been outstanding this season, and would thrive in a Steve Spagnuolo coached team.

One or the other would look great in a Rams uniform next year, and would immediately address the inability to stop the running game.

Can they get someone like Jolly or Pickett to come to St. Louis though?

If not, look for the Rams to draft a defensive lineman in one of the first three rounds of the NFL draft.

As I said, Suh would be great, but only if they are not sold on Clausen or, to a lesser extent, Locker.

Players like Marvin Austin, Arthur Jones, Sergio Kindle and Corey Wootton could all be available early in the second round.

The Rams are not as far away as their record indicates, and I really think the addition of a franchise quarterback could not just put them back on the path to respectability, but get them back in the playoff picture in a couple of years.

Re: Too Early NFL Draft Preview: St. Louis Rams

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
    Johnny Jolly and Ryan Pickett. Both have been outstanding this season, and would thrive in a Steve Spagnuolo coached team.

One or the other would look great in a Rams uniform next year, and would immediately address the inability to stop the running game.

Can they get someone like Jolly or Pickett to come to St. Louis though?

Yes, I wonder... :|

Comment

Hmm could they get pickett to come to st. louis?? thats weird we used to have a DT name pickett once..this authors an idiot.

Comment

Just to put this in perspecive, author Seth Cox is an Arizona Cardinals fan who posts at The Bleacher Report.

Comment

Bleacher Report....ugh.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• eldfan
            Breaking Down the Draft Needs For the St. Louis Rams
            by eldfan
            by Ron Clements Ron Clements
            Featured Columnist

Written on January 30, 2010

The St. Louis Rams have a lot of holes to fill.

They need about as much help as a blind quadriplegic calling a suicide hotline.

They can address some of their needs via free agency—a big new wide receiver here, an offensive lineman there, maybe even a veteran quarterback to groom the star of the future.

Aah, the future.

The Rams were the third youngest team in the NFL last season, and look to remain young in 2010 because the majority of their needs will be met during April’s draft.

Marc Bulger has probably played his final game as a Ram. It’s undeniable the team needs a franchise quarterback, but anyone thinking there is a quarterback worthy of the top overall pick come April 22 is simply delusional.

While Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen and Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford each have their upsides, both are too risky to gamble the future of a franchise that won the Super Bowl just 10 years ago.

There is really only one sure-fire player to go with for the No. 1 selection, and that is Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

The 6-foot-4, 300-pound Cornhusker is regarded by nearly every draft guru as the best player in the draft. When you’re trying to build from the ground up, like the Rams are, you need to take the best players.

While defensive tackle isn’t St. Louis’ biggest need, an impact player like Suh can upgrade the entire unit.

Suh is the best-case scenario for the Rams with the No. 1 pick.

The worst-case scenario would be drafting Clausen. If Rams general manager Billy Devaney and head coach Steve Spagnuolo are wowed by Clausen's physical abilities and ignore his questionable leadership ability, they could both be looking for jobs within two years.

At the top of Round 2, St. Louis has a couple of options—either grab that quarterback of the future or select a game-breaking wide receiver.

I choose option A. While this year's quarterback class lacks that true No. 1 guy, it is a pretty deep class of good quarterbacks, which is why the Rams do not need to gamble with a signal caller to begin the draft.

There are a handful of quarterbacks who should be available with the 33rd pick on Friday, April 23 when the Rams begin Day 2 of the draft in the NFL's new three-day format.

Three guys I'd focus on are Texas' Colt McCoy , Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour and Florida's Tim Tebow . All three were highly productive, winning quarterbacks in college, and all three were four-year players with proven leadership abilities.

None more so than Tebow. There is a knock on Tebow's delivery, but nobody can dispute his productivity, tenacity and versatility on the football field. The 6-foot-3, 245-pound Tebow...
            -02-04-2010, 01:28 PM
          • Nick
            McShay: The four most common draft mistakes
            by Nick
            The four most common draft mistakes
            By Todd McShay
            Scouts, Inc.
            Friday, February 12, 2010
            Updated: February 15, 2:11 PM ET

An NFL scout recently told me, "Even after all these years, we don't have a Moneyball formula for success. But we are getting closer." Until then, the NFL draft will remain about as unscientific as any sports endeavor. As long as scouts and GMs have to scramble to evaluate roughly 1,000 college football players at four different levels, every now and then a Pierre Garçon (Mount Union, sixth-round pick) is going to have more catches in one season than a Mike Williams (USC, first round) will have in a career.

So what's that scout talking about? Well, just because there's no secret to guaranteeing a sweet draft doesn't mean there aren't some must-follow tendencies that can help avoid disasters. As we head to the scouting combine, which starts on Feb. 24, then on to draft day, here are some mistakes the know-it-all suits shouldn't make. (But most assuredly will.)

1. They will ignore the big four. At the top of the draft, four crucial positions -- QB, offensive tackle, cornerback and pass- rusher -- should trump all others. It's a supply- and-demand thing. As the league's emphasis on passing puts those positions at an ever-greater premium, the elite talent pool at those spots remains basically the same. Notice wide receivers aren't included on this A-list. You can get them anytime. Two of this season's top five wideouts -- Miles Austin and Wes Welker -- weren't even drafted. On the other hand, all five of 2009's leaders in QB ratings were among the first 33 picks. Catchers depend on passers, not the other way around.

Look at this season's Super Bowl teams. At the big-four positions, the Saints and Colts combined to produce five Pro Bowlers. The average draft position of those guys was 44; two were first-rounders, two others early second-rounders. The teams generated nine more Pro Bowlers from the other positions. Those guys were drafted, on average, with the 80th pick, not including Colts center Jeff Saturday, who was undrafted. The Chargers (five of their past six first-rounders played one of the big-four positions) get it. The Lions (four wideouts and a linebacker in the top 10 between 2003 and 2007) don't.

So while All-America safety Eric Berry is tempting, the St. Louis Rams shouldn't think twice about snatching a defensive tackle, Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy, at No. 1. A combo of Suh and, say, LSU safety Chad Jones (a likely second-round pick) will win more games than Berry and, say, second-round DT Dan Williams will.

2. They will be seduced by looks. Scouts, GMs, even esteemed members of the media get too wrapped up in 40 times and 225-pound bench press reps. In many cases -- see: Smith, Akili; Jones, Matt; Gholston, Vernon -- superhuman physical gifts make usually rational minds...
            -02-17-2010, 03:14 PM
          • AvengerRam_old
            If the Rams stay at pick #1, there are really only 4 candidates.
            by AvengerRam_old
            If the Rams don't trade down from the first pick in the draft, their choice really comes down to four players.

The Frontrunner: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
            I call Suh the frontrunner because he is the player that most people consider the best prospect in the draft. While I obviously don't have any inside information from the Rams, I certainly can see a coach like Steve Spagnuolo, who built a champion defense on the strength of the D line, favoring Suh.

The Dark-Horse Candidate: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
            While he is currently overshadowed by Suh, he is still considered a top 3-5 pick. If Suh slides during the evaluation period, while McCoy shines, he could rise to the top.

The Cult Favorite: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
            Those who like Clausen really like him. In my opinion, his size is potentially an issue, and I'll be curious how he is reported as comporting himself in interviews. That said... QBs can rise quickly in the eyes of scouts, coaches and personnel guys. Just ask Mark Sanchez.

The Forgotten Candidate: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
            Bradford may have been the first pick in the 2009 draft had he come out. Now he stands as the poster child for those who advocate early departures from college. Still, if he passes all the tests he'll be put through in the next few months, teams could fall in love again with his 2008 game tapes.

There are other top prospects who I really don't think the Rams would take No. 1 overall. I have Derrick Morgan rated #2 on my draft board, but I really don't see the Rams passing on Suh (or McCoy) to take him. Eric Berry and Joe Haden are A list DBs who will both go in the top 10 selections, but again, not to the Rams at No. 1. The Rams may like C.J. Spiller (as do I), but they can't afford to take a RB at No. 1 unless they trade Jackson, which isn't likely to happen. Finally, Dez Bryant, though a top WR prospect, does not appear to be a guy who would go that high.

So, in my book... its one of these four players or a trade down (which I don't expect to happen).

Anyone think there are more than four candidates?
            -01-18-2010, 03:45 PM
          • Varg6
            Bulger's Cloudy Future
            by Varg6
            The fans and media have been talking about it for days and weeks, if not months, but Marc Bulger is not ready to make a decision on his future, writes Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Bulger's season may be over with the latest of injuries -- fractured left shin bone -- and the Rams sorely need a thorough rebuild, perhaps from the ground up, suggesting Bulger's last pass in a Rams uniform have have been thrown.

St. Louis is in the race for the No. 1 pick in the draft and will have an opportunity to draft their next franchise quarterback next April.

-ESPN.com

Mel Kiper Jr.'s Big Board

The Rams may have their pick of QBs Sam Bradford (No. 5), Jimy Clausen (No. 6), Jake Locker (No. 8), and Colt McCoy (No. 25)

Rebuilding with line play could net St. Louis DT Ndamukong Suh (No. 1) or OT Russell Okung (No. 7)

The only position the Rams may feel comfortable with avoiding on draft day may be running back

-----

Interesting about the RB situation. DGR!!!! lol
            -11-28-2009, 10:07 AM
          • r8rh8rmike
            The Watercooler: Who Are The Rams' Top Draft Options At QB?
            by r8rh8rmike
            10.22.2009 12:27 pm
            Who are Rams’ top draft options at QB?
            By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: If the St. Louis Rams were to take a quarterback in the first round of next year’s draft, which current college quarterback would you suggest they select?

BERNIE MIKLASZ
            Very tough call, and of course I reserve the right to change my mind later, after these kids play more games and also go through the NFL Scouting Combine. Because a lot can change between now and the draft. But if we are talking right now, I’d go with Washington’s Jake Locker. Big (6-3), strong and athletic, Locker has a plus arm, and a quick release. He’s been thriving in the pro-style offense installed by first-year head coach Steve Sarkisian. Also, Locker is being tutored by one of the best, QBs coach Steve Clarkson, who in the past has worked with Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Leinart and others. Clarkson cleaned up Locker’s mechanics and the improvement was immediate. And keep in mind that Locker is getting it done at Washington, and he’s not surrounded by elite talent. That makes his performance even more impressive.

Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen has moved up as an NFL prospect. Clausen has always had the natural talent, but he’s grown at Notre Dame, and is more physically imposing now. Looks like a tough kid, too. He is certainly used to pressure and it doesn’t get to him. The best is yet to come for Clausen. The red flags are out on Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford; it’s not only the shoulder injuries, but the questions of whether he can throw while under pressure, because he doesn’t encounter much of a pass rush at OU. Cincinnati’s Tony Pike could be the steal of the draft; he’s likely to be downgraded and drop down the board because of multiple injuries to his left wrist. But he’s a player. Not sure if Colt McCoy (Texas) has the frame, but he seems like a good fit for a West Coast offense. Jevan Snead (Ole Miss) has been touted by scouts and draftniks, but I haven’t seen enough (yet) to get excited by his NFL future. Again, that could change. All of this could.

VAHE GREGORIAN
            With his bum shoulder this season, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford may be losing stock for the 2010 draft or may even be considering waiting another year to come out. But if he’s available, the Rams would be wise to snap him up. Although he could stand to be more mobile, especially considering the Rams line, last year’s Heisman Trophy winner has all the tools to build a team around: accuracy (67.9 percent of his passes last season), height (6-4) and a leadership presence that makes players want to play better just for him, OU coach Bob Stoops says. Maybe some will see the shoulder injury and apparent aggravation of it last week against Texas as something chronic or signs he is brittle, but sometimes quarterbacks just get hit and hurt. There’s no reason to think it’s anything more with Bradford.

JEFF...
            -10-22-2009, 04:20 PM
          Working...
          X